• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

So I've been on a Digimon binge and decided to pick this game. I've wanted this game since it was first announced in Japan, but I never ended up picking it up. So I finally beat it and I must say it is quite mediocre and has a lot of issues... but I enjoyed the hell out of it and by the time I finally decided to beat it, my save file was almost 90 hours long.

So what I like about this game

I enjoyed the story. Even though the first half and second half feel like they're from two completely different games. I liked the detective, conspiracy style story of the first half but didn't like how much of a back seat the digimon took, so I was happy that they were much more prevalent in the second half even if the story went a bit off the rails.

I really like Suzuhito Yasuda, so I'm glad that he's pretty much the defacto Digimon artist now. The soundtrack was good as well and had nice standout tracks. Also I like how the battle system is just FFX's battle system. FFX is one of my fav RPG battle systems so this was ok with me.

The game also has some surprisingly good side quests that have good story material in them. Some of them don't even feature any Digimon or battles too.

The best part of the game however is the digimon. The Digimon were given a lot of care in an otherwise low budget game. The models were all really nice, and I love how every single Digimon has at least 1 or 2 unique attack animations straight out of the show.

What I didn't like

I don't think I have any major issues with the game but I do have a bunch of small ones that add up.

-The dungeons are ass. They're very boring visually and most take like 5 minutes to complete. The game also has you retreated and backtracking a shitton.

-Encounter rate was waaay too low. This is probably the only JRPG i've ever played where I thought the encounter rate was too low. You could go entire screens without encountering a single fight and could complete entire dungeons only fighting 1 or two battles. You could circumvent that by using a hacker skill (which requires you keep a specific digimon in your party taking up valuable space), or by playing on hard....which leads me to my next point

-Game balance is shit. The game is waaaaaay too fucking easy. It is mind numbing easy. Towards the end game it gets a bit better but 95% of the fights in this game require no thought. Just match weakness and spam your strongest attack and you win. Now you could play on Hard which increases the encounter rate and mob difficulty (which was great) but it makes the bosses ridiculously difficult. I ended up just doing the dungeons on hard and switching to normal for the bosses.

-Digimon Bank QOL sucks. So many little things which were an unnecessary drag. Why is move and Digivolve separate menus? Why can't I move Digimon with a button while looking at their evolutions instead of switching back and forth. Why can't I access the settings from the digibank. I hate that I could only rename, change equipment etc... the digimon in my party and not the ones in the digibank/farms?

-Game is too vague. During main quests, after the initial text, there's no way of checking where you have to go. So if you forget or take a break from the game good luck remember on where to go. Also even when Kyoko or the Menu gives you hints on where to go, they get extremely vague. Like "Go to Eden". okay which part of Eden....

-Awful localization. This is probably one of the worst localization's I've ever seen. Tons of typos, text that was in the wrong part, incorrect pronouns, etc... the list goes on and on.

-No way to challenge friends. So I convinced my friend to get the game as well and we both got hooked on it and we both spent a lot of effort raising our digimon only to find out that there's no way for us to fight each other... wth? How did such an oversight happen? Luckily the game is dead online so we could fight each other by just constantly pressing ranked at the same time, but it's ridiculous that we'd even need to resort to such a method and if the game was more populated online it wouldn't have even been possible.

Now overall I still really enjoyed it. This is one of the few games where I actually enjoyed grinding. About half of my playtime was probably from grinding. I had more fun grinding then I did playing through the story. I just had so much fun acquiring new Digimon and evolving my old ones, Ultimately I'll say if you like Digimon and are a hardcore fan this game is great. For anyone else I'd say skip it. Especially now, there's tons of better JRPGS out there.

Really? You enjoyed the story? I bought it on a whim, partly because I wanted to relive the glory days of Digimon World; and partly because I just recently enjoyed Persona 4 Golden, and it seemed similar. Anyway, to get to my point, I thought the story ended up being really boring. I don't remember much from it, but I did quit the game after putting like 20 hours into it.

Lynx_7

It's pretty addictive to raise your Digimon team and I had a good time with the game overall but yeah, it has plenty of issues. I wish the developers would get a bigger budget for the sequel, but knowing Bandai Namco and seeing how they're already heavily reusing assets from the first title, I don't have high expectations. My biggest problems were probably the dungeons and characters. The dungeons are understandable due to the budget, but for a franchise with some pretty likeable characters, Cyber Sleuth's cast was disappointing for the most part. The story also wasn't anything to write home about. I hope you actually get to explore the
Digimon's World
in the sequel.

Game balance could use some work too, but I thought Hard mode was alright for the most part. Random encounters were still easy but bosses posed a nice challenge. It was only towards the end of the game that any pretenses of balance went out the window (not counting the very beginning, when even random encounters could 2HKO your Digimon).

I loved it until I got towards the end. Realized that I screwed up and needed to grind a ton to get the team I wanted and wasn't feeling it. Was not a fan of the digivolution tree

Rellik

Yep that happened to me. I took a break from the game and when I came back I had no idea what to do or where to go. So I quit and moved on to another game.

Plus, it was boring anyway.

exfatal

Man i really need to get back into this game got distracted by side quest and trying to get certain digimon and kinda burned myself out on the game.

Man i really need to get back into this game got distracted by side quest and trying to get certain digimon and kinda burned myself out on the game.

Yeah same thing happened to me. Luckily I was at the end of Chapter 19 and already beat most of the DLC and sidequests, so I could finish it off pretty easily.

Thud

The game is pretty good. I was surprised how very Digimon like it was despite being for a somewhat older audience.

It's still a bit juvenile and the localization effort is pretty poor. Then again it was fans that wanted this game and namco bandai (or reversed I never know with this company) responded. I hope the next game is better on that front at least.

At first the music sounded a bit off to me, but now I really like it. I have the theme on my vita.

ngower

It's been cheap enough that I've been considering picking this up for some time. I'm not sure I can put aside some of the qualms and finish it, though. I have a terrible track record with JRPGs.

Zukkoyaki

Really dug the game! Nice sense of style and it has the best critter-collecting and raising component I've encountered outside of Pokemon.

But I can't disagree with anything you mentioned you disliked. The sequel is slated for 2018, we'll see if any of it gets properly addressed.

LycanXIII

With Hacker's Memory re-using a lot of assets, I wouldn't expect too much of an improvement in the quality, but after the first one, and Next Order, hopefully the localization will at least be improved.

Oreiller

The game is deeply flawed but I enjoyed my time with it a lot.
I really should get back to it eventually, I dropped the game right before the final dungeon.

Arthos

It had years since I had played or seen anything Digimon. I decided to buy this game day 1 and played little by little. Eventually, the whole digivolving Digimon thing clicked and I just wanted to get them all. The story does pick up after a certain point but might not be enough for those who dislike it from the first few hours. I did find it interesting but I did think most of the side quests were a chore. After putting in over 85 hours I can say it's easily worth it for those who like Digimon and RPGs and the whole "Gotta catch them all!" aspect.

The game was indeed easy though, especially if you abused a certain leveling method.

Looking forward to the sequel and seeing what it changes and fixes.

SoulUnison

Banned
I bought this one on an impulse because of a sale, but I was HEAVILY turned off by the female characters designs, as well as the total lack of balancing to the difficulty settings.
Normal is Baby's First Videogame, while Hard is "Grinding: The Mode."

Apparently the character designer is the same guy who ruined the Devil Survivor games with his pandering and total lack of understanding of female anatomy.
All of his female designs look like they have terminal chest tumors and crushing back problems. Even the ones who aren't done with puberty yet.
I refuse to buy any game's he's worked on at this point. He's just gross and I don't get how he keeps finding work.

His female characters are nasty, trite fanservice, and his male characters are perfectly, utterly generic and derivative.

Oh, and there's no real structure or guidance.
It's really easy to not know where exactly you're supposed to go next, and there's absolutely no in-game help or reminder system.
There's one character who seems like you can talk to her to get hints on your next objective, but when you really need the help she'll just offer "Shouldn't you be doing your job? Get back to work."

Top Bottom