• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DmC

Dahbomb

A lot of the aspects of DMC4 Dante are just complexities for the sake of complexities. Dividing up essential moves/abilities into Styles makes doing simple things harder to do than they should be. That's the main thing they should be tackling in DMC5.

Of course we have talked about this so many times already.

WhiteWolf

Great posts by TribladeX. I really enjoyed DmC and am loving the changes implemented in DmC:DE. I would like to see DMC series, if it continues, return to the atmosphere present in DMC1. I loved the gothic, horror aesthetic.

Kaleinc

Banned
I also have a couple of questions :)

Is it true that initial enemy design for DmC included a blade attached to an arm, for every unit?

Why do you think Capcom picked NT, did they have other studios in mind?

Neonep

(Ex. NT designer here, worked on DmC & DE)

Sorry about the late reply, I don't get much free time to browse these forums these days, let alone actually reply. Anyway...

You're correct about the decision to not use the MT framework. But Unreal wasn't the only engine available to us for DmC. The three main factors for the choice in using Unreal were (to the best of my knowledge): 1) It was already being used to make Enslaved (so there was already plenty of established, custom tech) 2) Unreal's really good at getting stuff up and running really quickly and 3) Everyone knew how to use it already.

But you're wrong about 'being boxed in'. Bear in mind that before Enslaved, NT actually wrote their own engine for Heavenly Sword (long before I joined), but despite it being created by NT, Sony own all of the code, so it couldn't be used again for a future game. But NT are constantly evaluating new engines between projects to see if another makes more sense. For Infinity 2.0/3.0 we had to switch to using Avalanche's own engine, Octane, and Fightback was made with Unity, so it wasn't like they weren't able to if it made sense / had no choice. But it's a time consuming experience as everyone gets up to speed with new tools. In most cases that time is better spent actually building a game.

Thanks for responding. Didn't expect this.

Again, thank you for the replies TribladeX.

Dante. It's always Dante for me. Developing DmC / DE I gained a big appreciation for Vergil and I enjoyed playing Nero a lot in DMC4, but for me it was always Dante. He's still one of my favourite characters ever. But for me, I don't actually want to see his complexity raised any further (reduced if anything). I'm not in the god tier of players that make these combo videos and, although I've 100%'d (all achievements) DMC 1, 2, 3, 4, DmC and DE, I did so by sticking to (mainly) Sword Master and Rebellion when playing DMC4. I just can't (and don't have the interest) in going to the level required to master Uncle Dante. Despite the respect that I have for the people who can really show off with Dante, the more biased towards the hardcore players the game becomes, the less appealing it becomes to me.
I think you are in majority here. Personally I would love to play as Dante as well (although I would kill for a Vergil or Sparda game), but over the years Nero has been growing on me as well so there really isn't a wrong choice here for me :)

In regards to "Depth vs Accessibility" argument that you make, I don't think it should necessarily be a choice between having one or the other. You can have both a character who is accessible enough for casual players to pick up and enjoy but at the same time has enough depth and complexity for more hardcore players to experiment with. Both your own Dante in DmC and Vergil in 4SE are a testament to that.

I'm glad to see that change log having that sort of impact. Like the stats thing, I really love detailed patch notes in games. So I kept a huge log of every single minor change I made to DE as I went along. Unfortunately, a couple of months before the end of my work on DE, I had a big list of changes stored in my todo list as tasks that had been marked off as 'complete' and someone else wiped the entire lot. So those logs aren't even 100% complete. There's all kind of extra niggles that didn't make it onto there. I think there are many extra tweaks to the Vergil boss fight that didn't make that list.

I think a few notes also got reduced in complexity (I had some more detailed numbers in certain places, as they got 'tidied up' before being released to the community).
It's a shame to know there was a more detailed change log that got lost somewhere during the development but still, we definitely appreciate what you did here :)

I've heard this mirrored elsewhere, but I actually think at times that DMC would be a lot more successful as a £15 Xbox Live or PSN 'arcade' game, where it's basically just an extended bloody palace mode. I.e. focus on the combat and the systems that drive combat and scrap the level structure of the game (i.e. half of development).

Although having said that, my personal own dream DMC game is a non-linear, procedurally generated, mission based game (I still want a narrative because I love seeing Dante doing amazing stuff - the post Vergil 1 boss fight cutscene in DMC3 is still my favourite gaming cutscene ever), where the player as Dante has to accept missions and go off and accomplish them for rewards. In my head, you'd get told what was involved (simple task: Kill 10 fodder drones) but would get offered bonuses for doing it in particular ways (Don't touch the floor, or complete it in 3 minutes, or complete it with X weapon only). And it would just continue on forever.
As you said I've seen other people make suggestions along these lines but man I think the day that this actually happens would be the day that I quite the DMC series. Don't get me wrong, I love the gameplay and play these games for countless hours (finishing on all difficulties, S ranking the missions, practicing combos.... well, you know the drill) but still, a very very big of part of what makes me love DMC is its characters and their interactions with each other.

So, if that was to be removed from the game then it would no longer be the same series that I fell in love with.

TribladeX

Neo Member
I can definitely see things being problematic when Capcom was presented a prototype and they were like "that's too much like DMC, change it" or "that's not enough like DMC, change it".

Very loosely, the early concepts sounded like they were too DMC and it seems the early prototypes were too far from DMC. Then I think it tended to blend back towards DMC (more often than it went the other way) over the course of the rest of the project.

Also you have to realize that the DMC fanbase covers a lot of different types of fans. There are fans who like the characters, the stories/universe, the game play, the aesthetics etc from casual players who play the game once on the easiest difficulties to hardcore players who play the game for years. So the whole re-designed Dante thing affected some people more than others. It didn't affect me as much as the game play because let's be frank here... Dante has been re-designed to some extent in just about every DMC game. Every DMC game has some form of "this new Dante looks stupid, bring back Dante from DMCX". I wasn't even worried about the white hair because the clues were all over the trailers that he will end up with white hair in the end.

Yup, I think this is the part of the issue of rebooting something like DMC - it's not completely obvious what different people take from it. If you were to make the same game again, some people would call for change, while others called for a completely new game. I don't think it's winnable.

"White hair lol", while a superficial issue, is still an issue for some people. It shouldn't be used in any real objective debate over value, but it could be a reason why someone wouldn't spend money on a game. And that's perfectly valid. A person should be allowed to spend their hard earned money on what they choose to, and it was games journalists to demonized consumers for making that choice.

I agree with you completely. I also think this is something developers need to think about when dealing with existing IPs: People can value all kinds of things, so you need to be careful that you handle things with care.

And while I'm sure it was frustrating to read that feedback and uproar, Tameem did himself a severe disservice by saying "screw the fans." It only ended up exacerbating the issue, in my mind, and left a lot of ideas that no one picked up on.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, and I'm not standing up for any of the reactions to the fan base. I have my own opinions about how these things should have (and could have been handled) by all parties, but I think it's fair to say I would have taken a different approach.

I maintain that all the voices, however vitriolic, were important. If people were empassioned to act irrationally, it's because the classic series was something important to them. After all, DMC is a series worth fighting for, and Itsuno has gone on record stating that DmC would have been the de facto series moving forward should it have been met with success. This would have left the classic series to something like mobile games and spinoffs... a worst case scenario in my mind. So, while I empathize with trying to sift through the white noise to find usable feedback, I can't help but believe that the fan reaction was necessary and important.

Again, I agree with you. I think more people involved in the making of DmC (especially people in charge of making decisions) should have taken the time to listen to the fan base and generate a list of valid concerns. I think you could make a valid argument that they could have even surveyed the community to ask what they really considered to be important before they started the project (although the business people would probably argue that it defeats the point of a reboot).

But at the end of the day, the direction wasn't your call. And I'm sure (I hope) the dev team was divided on it as well. And I'm sure Capcom was divided on it. The game ended up creating a lot of tension and division among people that supported this series on both the development side and the consumer side. I'm glad that you were able to learn a lot from the experience, and that you'll be able to funnel that experience into whatever future projects you have.

Pretty much every decision ever made was divided on opinion (at least down at the development level - although I'm sure Capcom would have thought long and hard about their direction calls). Even in cases where something seemed like an obvious improvement to the previous games, we'd discuss the potential pros/cons of implementing it differently. And when something major came up, it could get quite heated at times as people fought their sides of the arguments.

I really wanted to see an evolution of DMC combat and mechanics and not a retread (or attempt to retread). And possibly see an advancement in AI for the DMC series, instead of most enemies being combo fodder.

Half the frustration from DmC came from a part of the community asking for a completely new game (and liked what they saw in the early trailer), another part asking for DMC but with some improvements and some asking for a DMC but with a bunch of stuff changed that they didn't like (and what they didn't like, whether it was Dante's character, the narrative, the level design, the meta game etc etc) changed from person to person. Like I said above, it really feels like it's almost impossible to get right now.

TribladeX

Neo Member
i'm curious if you think having that level complexity is irreconcilable with having appealing gameplay for folks who don't dive deep into the game's mechanics- i kinda get that vibe with the last sentence there and am wondering if i'm reading that right.

That's a really great question and I'm not really sure of the answer. I think it would take a genius piece of game design to open up DMC4 Dante's depth to a much wider / more casual market AND maintain all of the long-term mastery.

I mean, you're basically talking about having evade, royal guard (block), lift, pull, multiple melee attack buttons, shooting and some sort of contextual weapon/style switch mapped on dedicated, main buttons (i.e. not the d-pad) and then squeezing in dozens of layers of complexity. I don't think it's impossible, and Bayonetta made great strides in this department (for example).

For me, personally, as a designer, I don't think like putting combat options, like alternate weapons, in the menus (i.e. having to switch weapons between missions). And I don't like DMC4's approach of having you cycle through systems three/four layers deep to reach an ability. But it's a really difficult problem to solve.

A lot of the aspects of DMC4 Dante are just complexities for the sake of complexities. Dividing up essential moves/abilities into Styles makes doing simple things harder to do than they should be. That's the main thing they should be tackling in DMC5.

Yup, agreed.

Wow, tons of great information from Triblade. Thanks for chiming in!

Great posts by TribladeX. I really enjoyed DmC and am loving the changes implemented in DmC:DE.

Thanks for responding. Didn't expect this.

Again, thank you for the replies TribladeX.

As, always - You're very welcome :)

cool info, Triblade-san

Haha :D

Is it true that initial enemy design for DmC included a blade attached to an arm, for every unit?

Not every enemy, no. There were all kinds of different things concepted for the game. However most of the fodder enemies had some sort of blade, I think (little fuzzy here - It's worth checking the concept art gallery out for a better confirmation). The big problem is a lot of the very early prototypes, the blades were tiny. The reason characters in these games have such exaggerated weapons is because smaller weapons are really difficult to read during tells and fast attacks. And that's exactly what happened with the early enemy designs.

Why do you think Capcom picked NT, did they have other studios in mind?

I don't have an specifics here. Things I've heard suggest that yes, Capcom went looking around for the developer they felt could do it justice. I don't know who else they looked into though. Something I loosely heard was that it was NT's ability to tell a story that was a major factor in why they were chosen. I think that they felt that part of DMC's 'problem' was the crazy story lines. Personally it's one of my favourite aspects of the series, but I know some people think it's just nonsense.

I think another aspect was that Ninja Theory were already making third person combat action games.

I think you are in majority here. Personally I would love to play as Dante as well (although I would kill for a Vergil or Sparda game), but over the years Nero has been growing on me as well so there really isn't a wrong choice here for me :)

Exactly, there's no wrong choice - but I don't think Capcom will ever be able to make everyone happy, no matter which way they go next.

In regards to "Depth vs Accessibility" argument that you make, I don't think it should necessarily be a choice between having one or the other. You can have both a character who is accessible enough for casual players to pick up and enjoy but at the same time has enough depth and complexity for more hardcore players to experiment with. Both your own Dante in DmC and Vergil in 4SE are a testament to that.

Yup, as I said above, I don't think it's impossible. Just difficult. There are still people that argue that Dmc Dante doesn't have enough depth to match DMC4 Dante, so just doesn't live up to requirement as a DMC character. Like everything else though, it's really subjective. Others have said that DmC is the only DMC game they could get into, so you can go on like that forever.

I think it goes a little further though than the requirement of just being able to "Pick up and enjoy". Sure, that's important, but casual players also have to feel empowered by the character, while being pushed to get better and better at the game without suddenly getting overwhelmed.

I actually think Capcom make a great step in the right direction with Nero: Much more accessible character with tons of depth potential. However they killed it by making the level design obnoxious (I've lost count of the number of people who quit that game because they got lost and/or they got screwed over by that grapple sequence with the spike traps and the room full of enemies waiting for them below) and then by suddenly switching to an insanely complicated, immediately powered up Dante half way through the game.

It's a shame to know there was a more detailed change log that got lost somewhere during the development but still, we definitely appreciate what you did here :)

Yup, it is. And, thanks :)

As you said I've seen other people make suggestions along these lines but man I think the day that this actually happens would be the day that I quite the DMC series. Don't get me wrong, I love the gameplay and play these games for countless hours (finishing on all difficulties, S ranking the missions, practicing combos.... well, you know the drill) but still, a very very big of part of what makes me love DMC is its characters and their interactions with each other.

So, if that was to be removed from the game then it would no longer be the same series that I fell in love with.

Yeah, bear in mind that I'm only talking about what I think might make sense from a publisher's point of view. It's not necessarily the game I'd want to see either. I see that more as a 'if they were trying to justify the cost of making another game' thing, this could be one approach they could take to reduce the risk. They could always expand on the concept later too.

sn00zer

Really curious what the original game was going to be tone and story-wise. I was actually really excited when I saw the reveal trailer after feeling DMC4 was far far too safe a sequel. Especially after Nero was sidelined for Dante when it was pretty clear a majority of enemies were designed around Nero's grab mechanic. (DMC1 is still my favorite largely because of the setting and enemies)

ANYWAY....

What was the original tone and story of the game around the original trailer release? Seemed pretty interesting and was less skater-punk than the final release.

TribladeX

Neo Member
What was the original tone and story of the game around the original trailer release? Seemed pretty interesting and was less skater-punk than the final release.

You know, around the original trailer release... I'm not really sure. I think it was supposed to be weighted towards a darker, grittier story, but I'm not sure how much so. You can kinda get a glimpse of that in the trailer with the whole Dante as a child, being tortured by demons thing. I vaguely remember something about a story beat where Dante reaches into his chest and touches his own heart, which was the point in his childhood when he realises he's not human (but don't quote me on that ;-).

You have to bear in mind -- around the time the trailer that came out -- we still had a lot of prototype gameplay floating around. There were prototype weapons which never made it into the final game (e.g. a spear, which you get a glimpse of in the first trailer). Crappy 2D red 'souls' (they were a prototype for a new take on red orbs and would float around before being absorbed by Rebellion) and no actual game levels yet - just a bunch of prototype 'demonstration' levels (some huge with different enemy encounters and puzzles, some just test chambers for different mechanics) to try and determine how the game would flow. There wasn't yet a narrative campaign to play yet. Proper story cutscenes probably didn't start going into the game for some time afterwards.

sn00zer

You know, around the original trailer release... I'm not really sure. I think it was supposed to be weighted towards a darker, grittier story, but I'm not sure how much so. You can kinda get a glimpse of that in the trailer with the whole Dante as a child, being tortured by demons thing. I vaguely remember something about a story beat where Dante reaches into his chest and touches his own heart, which was the point in his childhood when he realises he's not human (but don't quote me on that ;-).

You have to bear in mind -- around the time the trailer that came out -- we still had a lot of prototype gameplay floating around. There were prototype weapons which never made it into the final game (e.g. a spear, which you get a glimpse of in the first trailer). Crappy 2D red 'souls' (they were a prototype for a new take on red orbs and would float around before being absorbed by Rebellion) and no actual game levels yet - just a bunch of prototype 'demonstration' levels (some huge with different enemy encounters and puzzles, some just test chambers for different mechanics) to try and determine how the game would flow. There wasn't yet a narrative campaign to play yet. Proper story cutscenes probably didn't start going into the game for some time afterwards.

Ah interesting...... thanks for the length reply. I really like DmC:DE a lot.... really liked the approach of easy input, complex systems.

Neonep

Yeah I remember the day the trailer came out and I saw some things that I liked (liked the spear weapon you mentioned) but didn't like the way Dante looked. At the same time though I thought to myself I am probably going to buy this cause I was
A. curious as to what else changed and
B. I'm sure this is going to feel right

I was like 80% in at the 1st trailer.

Just finished it. Had a ton of fun with it. Love the redesigns. The artwork/environments were amazing. I really love what they do with the whole limbo thing. Combat was fluid and being able to switch weapons like that on the fly was great. Dante's not as obnoxious as he was portrayed in the trailers pre release. Overall i think it's a really really good game. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

You can tell it was a huge labor of love for those guys and that they had a lot of fun making it and I can appreciate that.

I'm gonna play MGS:R or DMC4 next.

Sesha

Just finished it. Had a ton of fun with it. Love the redesigns. The artwork/environments were amazing. I really love what they do with the whole limbo thing. Combat was fluid and being able to switch weapons like that on the fly was great. Dante's not as obnoxious as he was portrayed in the trailers pre release. Overall i think it's a really really good game. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

You can tell it was a huge labor of love for those guys and that they had a lot of fun making it and I can appreciate that.

I'm gonna play MGS:R or DMC4 next.

Don't bother with the original DMC4. Play DMC4SE if you can. It's currently 40% off on the Humble Store, I believe.

I just started playing this game a few nights ago and I'm really enjoying the game. I really like the story so far and even though I may be in the minority, I like Dante's character design. I've never really played any of the original series, but I do hope that there are sequels to this game.

Sesha

I just started playing this game a few nights ago and I'm really enjoying the game. I really like the story so far and even though I may be in the minority, I like Dante's character design. I've never really played any of the original series, but I do hope that there are sequels to this game.

A direct sequel is unlikely. The original franchise is more popular than DmC, and Capcom has decided to stop outsourcing of major titles overseas like they did with DmC and RE6. The best you could hope for is that some of DmC's features and visual designs inspires the direction of DMC5.

Sesha

DMC in general just feels off without Turbo. It really should be a feature available from the start in every game. It would be better if they added additional speed options to it like SSF2T.

Reese-015

Damn. This thread is awesome. I love what I've played of DmC (about half I think) and feel I really should finish it some time. This thread made me reinstall it. Sad that DE isn't on PC.

TribladeX

Neo Member
Only just got around to reading this thread, but damn, that was some good info.

Thanks TribladeX

Also, thanks Triblade for all the great information.

You're very welcome :)

Sad that DE isn't on PC.

I'm really surprised that a PC version never got released (in fact I always presumed it had already happened and I was only corrected when reading this thread).

When I got moved from DE in October '14 the question was absolutely 'HOW were we/Capcom going to release a PC version' (i.e. would it be a free upgrade, a paid DLC, or a completely new SKU with a discount). So it seems they decided it wasn't worth the effort, or something. Which is a little weird as I'm (99%) sure that the build we were working from was QLOC's DmC PC release AND QLOC were the ones handling porting the game to XB1/PS4.

Maybe there was some big technical challenge to be solved that came up in those last four months that I never heard about. Who knows.

Top Bottom