• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Dragon Age (I Suck)

RedSwirl

So I finally started my PC copy of Dragon Age that I got during the 2009 Steam Holiday sale.

This is the first CRPG I've ever touched that is not Mass Effect or 3D Fallout. I went male city elf Rogue. Originally I stayed away from this game because I couldn't tell the difference between it and any other CRPG that looked like a Tolkien derivative.

Gameplay-wise it's very solid. A combat system where you have to take the initiative to pause and micro-manage EVERY SECOND of each battle requires some adjustment though. Fighting and especially questing seem to be really solid.

At first the graphics seemed to be crap, but only in certain areas. The really busy, ragged parts of the game like Ostigar, the city elf origin place, and Kokari look pretty ugly, but cleaner places like villages and building interiors all actually look quite good, if not great. Game also runs pretty smoothly on my 8800GT.

Even though I don't find the story and world all that interesting or inspired, I do like the characters and find the main party members to be very well-written. I'm probably playing through the game right now just to see more of what happens to Alister and Morrigan.

People tell me this is the main reason they like playing games like Baldur's Gate II and Planetscape Torment - the well-written stories and worlds. I guess that's a good reason to take these games as a refuge from melodramatic and emo-fueled JRPGs. Dragon Age just doesn't seem to have the deep exploration element that draws me into most RPGs (Japanese or Western).

The big problem though is that I really, really suck at combat. Basically, any group of more than four or five enemies and I get completely overwhelmed. Most of the time I have to figure out how to funnel enemies to gang up on them one by one. I'd also like to know if there is no healing magic at all in this game because I haven't encountered any yet.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the best use of the tactics system since otherwise It seems I have to repeatedly command my party to attack the same enemies. With only around for tactics slots per character the range of what you can do is also much less than in Final Fantasy XII.

As of this post I'm stuck at the second wave of walking corpses at Redcliffe Village. This is the first place I've been to since leaving Loithering. The only things I was able to do before the attack were
help Murdock, help the knights, find that lost kid, and convince that elf spy to help join the fight

I'm trying to stun, frighten, and freeze my way through this with Morrigan while the other characters try to gang up on each enemy. At first I do fine enough but eventually find myself in a position where all the militia are dead, I've run out of health poultices, and there are still around 10 walking corpses coming at us. My characters are all level 7.

tokkun

That part of Redcliffe is just poorly balanced if you go there immediately (even though the game makes it seem like that is what you should do next).

Try leaving and doing the Mage Tower quest first.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The Mages Tower gets you a dedicated healer, early. That's a must, because the PC version sometimes throws insane numbers of enemies at you.

BTW, download the Detailed Tooltips and Advanced Tactics mods.

RedSwirl

tokkun said:
That part of Redcliffe is just poorly balanced if you go there immediately (even though the game makes it seem like that is what you should do next).

Try leaving and doing the Mage Tower quest first.

I'm quicksaved in the middle of the battle. Can I really just walk out? Even if I go back to a previous autosave they've already made it feel like the attack wil come THE NEXT NIGHT.

I found it really unbalanced too, but didn't enjoy anything about it enough to keep playing. One thing I got from it was a sudden clarity that I really dislike the Bioware RPG model, so it's not like it was a totally wasted purchase.

Grayman

I think you do get locked into redcliffe. Actually most areas in the game seem to trap you like that. I would suggest always keeping a safe save in camp so you have access to many areas of the world map. It was a trick I picked up from Fallout, that way if you get stuck or hit a weird bug your game is not over.

The mage tower gives you a healer character which is really important but it is a very long area as well(for your second playthrough download skip the fade). During the redcliffe quest you are going to be sent there next anyways.

For tactics you can get a mod that unlocks all of the slots and options at level 1.

Grayman

Mr_Appleby said:
I found it really unbalanced too, but didn't enjoy anything about it enough to keep playing. One thing I got from it was a sudden clarity that I really dislike the Bioware RPG model, so it's not like it was a totally wasted purchase.
It took me Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and KOTOR to figure out that I don't like their type of wrpg much at all.

I still do want to try baulder's gate when I have time though, so I have not yet learned my lesson.

Diebuster

Did you recruit the
dwarf
? You can also get the
tavern owner
to help out.

I picked Redcliffe for my first stop as well, and I'm not too good with the combat either. I pretty much let my party do their thing, but positioned them near the rear, only taking control when it's time to bail out for a quick health item. I don't know if this'll help much, but try to gang up on the enemy furthest from the group.

RedSwirl

I haven't met any recruitable dwarf yet.

Also, if you lower the difficulty at one point, can you raise it again later?

I struggle with this game's combat system until I set all the offensive attack tactics to 'Target enemy that the controlled party member attack'. that way, no matter who I choose to control, the other 3 member will always attack the same enemy and not running off somewhere attacking enemy with less hp or whatever. if I need to use special skill etc, I can do it manually. much easier to manage for me. it may not be an elegant solution or not using the tactics slot properly and most likely won't work on harder difficulties, but it serve me pretty good so far (20 hours in)

edit: oh you're stuck on redcliffe? that part blows. without dedicated healer with group heal ability, I too survive that part with brute force, basically having lots of health items. I think Morrigan's Stun helps a lot in that part.

you can find oil barrel on the empty general store, mention it to the knights and he will set up traps as part of the defense. it will weaken the first wave of the attack. maybe that'll help you conserve some item for the second part.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Neuromancer said:
Just out of curiosity are there even difficulty levels in this game? I know I'd have to play on easy.
Easy. Normal. Hard. Nightmare.

Then there's a customizable mod called Nightmare Plus. I'm using it and another increased difficulty mod called Slink's s3 RAVage, which adds randomization to the mobs you encounter, and allows you to increase the levels of the enemies in them and the items they fight you with.

Sometimes a mob will be comprised solely of Elite level enemies and a couple Ogres. Good times. :lol

The best part of Slink's mod, is that it adds hundreds of new loot items to the game. Better loot than anything Bioware put in it.

RedSwirl

Wow, there is a lot of crap you can do to prepare at Redcliffe that I didn't know about. All I was able to do was
recruit Murdock and Thomas and get the smith to repair their armor.
because I didn't know about the other stuff.

Am I going to lose quests if they all die?

Furoba

RedSwirl said:
Wow, there is a lot of crap you can do to prepare at Redcliffe that I didn't know about. All I was able to do was

I killed the smith, and the tavern tender I intimidated into fighting got killed. :lol

kai3345

Banned
Theres a gate you can open in the courtyard that lets in the Redcliffe Soldiers to come in and im pretty sure they help you out for the rest of the dungeon.

John

yeah, i sucked at this game too. i fell into the exact same problem spot as you, going to the village and getting murdered quickload after quickload. but on someone's advice here i loaded an earlier save and went to the mage's tower, that helped a good bit.

it's a recurring theme with bioware for me. i had that in kotor as well.

RedSwirl said:

I lost the town mayor during my playthrough, they can die but the game keeps going. I guess you get some bonus if you can keep all of them alive.

IoCaster

Callibretto said:
I guess you get some bonus if you can keep all of them alive.

If you don't lose any of the militia you get a bonus "Helm of the Red" after the battle. It's nothing special and not worth the effort.

RedSwirl

Apparently there's some quest I'm supposed to to inside the castle before the town is attacked, but I couldn't get in.

Inkwell

Banned
Yeah, this game was a mixed bag for me. The difficulty felt all over the place, and there were definitely situations where I had to put the difficulty from normal to easy. I never really used tactics either. I'm sure using tactics could have helped, but I was micromanaging everyone anyway. I think if the game allowed for one more party member it would have felt much more balanced. I always wanted to take my healer and rogue with me. My character was a warrior, so that meant I could take 1 other decent combat party member with me.

Grayman said:
I still do want to try baulder's gate when I have time though, so I have not yet learned my lesson.

:lol

yeah i intend on giving it a go one day also :|

i did enjoy KOTOR, but I think my tastes have changed since then.

Grayman said:
It took me Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and KOTOR to figure out that I don't like their type of wrpg much at all.

Baldur's Gate is far superior in design to any of those games
(BIG FAN OF ALL OF THEM DO NOT FLAME ME)
and is absolutely nothing like them. KOTOR represented a big shift in RPG design philosophy for Bioware that they are still trying to evolve and perfect in their own, strange, not-really-an-RPG kind of way.

fanboi

Banned
Grayman said:

You should really do it... BG that is.

1) Content wise is as much as all those games combined

2) The content is good!

3) It is twice as good as all those games combined.

TemplaerDude said:
Baldur's Gate is far superior in design to any of those games
(BIG FAN OF ALL OF THEM DO NOT FLAME ME)
and is absolutely nothing like them. KOTOR represented a big shift in RPG design philosophy for Bioware that they are still trying to evolve and perfect in their own, strange, not-really-an-RPG kind of way.

Strange thing is that KOTOR is the best RPG with their new style...

tokkun

RedSwirl said:
I'm quicksaved in the middle of the battle. Can I really just walk out? Even if I go back to a previous autosave they've already made it feel like the attack wil come THE NEXT NIGHT.

Well if you do get stuck in the city, there is a trick you can use in the 2nd part of that battle. Basically, once the townspeople in the village square die, take your characters and run back up the hill, making sure the enemies follow you. The knights at the top of the hill will slaughter them. Go back down the hill and repeat until all the enemies are dead.

Grayman

Well,
I am not skipping on BG and other stuff recently on gog because of bioware design, just time.

My problems with their modern games likely do not apply to isometric ones. What I disliked about KOTOR/ME/DA were the invisible walls everywhere. The first wrpgs I played were morrowind and fallout 2. Bioware's 3d games feel too slow for the size of their hubs yet they are built out of hallways. I played Dragon Age the most and it was full of xenogears length dungeons. Moving around should be fast, fun, or both.

redcliffe was brutal without a healer. When you finally defend the town, go do Mage tower as the next part is even more difficult than town defense.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I did Redcliff first, too. I was a mage and it took me a few days to get through it. It was challenging but also cemented my love for Dragon Age. I'm sorry this doesn't add anything to your schemes but good luck!

Red

I was having a terrible time dealing with combat as well, until I realized I had installed a mod that increased normal enemy health and offense by at least 250%, and boss health by 1000% :lol

Needless to say, the game has felt quite easy after deleting that mod.

RedSwirl

Jesus Christ. Even on easy mode Redcliffe is a no-go. Even if I lead the remaining zombies up to where the knights are fighting, guess what, they get killed too.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Dragon Age has difficulty spikes. You can run into random world map encounters that take 50 tries to complete. I found my best success came with proper use of cone area spells, status ones that froze or stunned my enemies, as it game my melee characters a chance to thin their numbers a bit without taking abuse.

I never had a problem with Redcliffe.

I had to restart once, but only because I got caught in a glitch that got me stuck under the pier and couldn't get out.

My mage even managed to keep killing enemies while she was down there.

I never had any real problems even if I killed one of my potential healer companions just to please that bitch, I didn't even know she was a recruitable character at that point. :lol

Some of the dragons were a bit hard, if would been far easier if I had that one more mage, but Shale's can be a pretty awesome tank, did you get her?.

IoCaster

RedSwirl said:
Jesus Christ. Even on easy mode Redcliffe is a no-go. Even if I lead the remaining zombies up to where the knights are fighting, guess what, they get killed too.

Damn, how is this possible? Who do you have in your party?

I played Dragon Age and apart from the dwarven storyline and voice acting, the game really didn't felt fulfilling. The loot is serviceable and weapons upgrade and xp system is all generic. The Witcher is a much better game in every aspect.

play as a mage. become mage knight. break the game.

also combing glyphs is so fucking great. i cant remember what it is but the paralysis explosion let me destroy people with my Lianna and my rougue.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
RustyNails said:
I played Dragon Age and apart from the dwarven storyline and voice acting, the game really didn't felt fulfilling. The loot is serviceable and weapons upgrade and xp system is all generic. The Witcher is a much better game in every aspect.
Nah. While the xp and those systems are somewhat generic in Dragon Age, they barely exist in The Witcher by comparison. The Witcher has simple and dry combat, worthless weapon pickups, boring loot, few level up options, and general awkwardness stemming from their choice of engine base.

From a gameplay perspective Dragon Age is far more meaty, and imo the dialogue and acting are a lot better than the Witcher. I mean, Dragon Age is just more fun to play. The Witcher's combat and questing feel amateur in comparison. The Witcher 2 looks like it could compete with Dragon Age for production values and gameplay quality, but the first one isn't there.

RedSwirl

Relaxed Muscle said:
I never had any real problems even if I killed one of my potential healer companions just to please that bitch, I didn't even know she was a recruitable character at that point. :lol .

Who Morrigan?

Rightn now my party consists of Morrigan, Leliana, Alistar, the dog, and Sen.

RedSwirl said:
Who Morrigan?

Rightn now my party consists of Morrigan, Leliana, Alistar, the dog, and Sen.

Nah, Wynne. She's a recruit-able mage at the Circle Tower.

Of course Morrigan starts bitching if you don't feel like needlessly murdering her and a bunch of other mages for no reason. Did I mention doing so is mostly pointless?

Top Bottom