• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: EarthBound — Warm, weird, wonderful… and full of so much love! <3

Neiteio

earthboundycx4h.jpg

A brief history of this game and me:

Like many gamers, I didn&#8217;t know about EarthBound until Ness in Smash Bros 64. To me at the time, he was just a cute lil&#8217; dude with psychic powers. I was curious, but not that curious.

It was the Onett stage in Smash Bros Melee that made me fall in love with his charmingly colorful world and want to know more. I loved pausing the game and turning the camera to scope out the city block, and listening to the theme, which is simply magical. But what really drew me in was the community around EarthBound. The diehard fans clamoring for EarthBound on VC and Mother 3 in the West had me intrigued by the series&#8217; magnetic pull.

Remember the starmen.net campaign where they made the EarthBound Anthology &#8212; a phonebook-sized tome of fan art, essays and other tributes they sent to Nintendo executives? It was a stirring display of passion from a fan base that really felt like a family &#8212; a family bound in the shared experience of EarthBound&#8217;s &#8220;second childhood.&#8221;

I describe it that way because that&#8217;s what EarthBound feels like, even completing it now for the first time: It feels like a second childhood. It feels like you&#8217;re back in the &#8216;90s &#8212; a very odd version of the &#8216;90s, but the &#8216;90s nonetheless. It&#8217;s a lovely time capsule, but I think even someone with no nostalgia for the Clinton Years would really enjoy this game. It has a warm, cozy feeling of being at home during summer vacation. It&#8217;s a game filled with love, laughs and adventure. It&#8217;s a string of moments that will make you smile and add up to something grand.

eb-rabbits4eajf.jpg
eb-talkingrocksyae6.jpg

CAPTION: It&#8217;s worth examining everything you find in the game. EarthBound is unapologetically odd!

Still, it took me three attempts to get into it. I originally played EarthBound in college, on an emulator, and barely made it to Onett. Then I purchased it for the WiiU but struggled to get past the valley leading to Happy-Happy Village. I blame my slingshot&#8217;s poor accuracy, the exploding Territorial Oaks, the robots inducing &#8220;nighttime stuffiness,&#8221; and the Lil&#8217; UFOs&#8217; relentless barrage of lasers! So I tabled the game for the time being.

More recently, I purchased it for the N3DS. Playing it on a portable in perfect pixel mode, with super-sharp non-stretched 8:7 graphics, it finally clicked for me and I saw it all the way through. And boy, is it fantastic.

It still took me several attempts to get past the valley leading to Happy-Happy Village, but I was aware this time of how I was growing stronger. And each time I tried new strategies &#8212; like kiting enemies around trees in the field to avoid them, bringing along the teddy bear decoy, or making extensive use of hamburgers, cold remedies, and PSI abilities. It&#8217;s a thoughtfully constructed game where you should make use of all the options available to you.

eb-market9hjx5.jpg
eb-bluecultcqkba.jpg

CAPTION: From the thieves of Burglin Park in Twoson, to the cultists of Happy-Happy Village, there is some shady stuff going on!

The game already moves at a good clip, but the pace really picks up once you defeat Mr. Carpainter and rescue Paula from the cult&#8217;s mountain cabin. Then you have scene changes like Jeff traveling from Winters to Threed to rescue Ness and Paula, which kept me guessing what would happen next.

The game manages to maintain that forward momentum all the way to the end. It&#8217;s a JRPG where you can look back at the first few towns and say, &#8220;Wow, I foiled gangsters, corrupt cops, a cult, zombies, an evil circus tent and a pile of puke &#8212; and I was just getting started.&#8221;

In hindsight, one wonders how Nintendo managed to make the box art so boring!

eb-imness6fdfb.jpg
eb-meditationjudyt.jpg

CAPTION: EarthBound is funny and sweet, but also likes to get introspective from time to time.

Legitimately fun:

There&#8217;s very little fat to this game &#8212; quite a feat in a genre notorious for bloat. Just about everything in EarthBound feels focused and efficient.

For example, it&#8217;s worth talking to each NPC: At best you&#8217;ll learn a new mechanic or vital tip, such as the password to Belch Base at Grapefruit Falls; and at worst, you&#8217;ll smile. Either way, NPCs are succinct and to the point. Part of me wonders if this is when the Treehouse really came into its own. The game communicates clearly, and the comedy is on point.

There&#8217;s a lot that seems progressive, too, especially for the time. Enemies appear in the field and can be avoided. If you approach them from behind, you get the opening attack, but the opposite is also true. Then there&#8217;s the way enemies flee from you when you&#8217;re stronger, and how you can automatically defeat weaker enemies simply by touching them. Also of note is how nearby enemies can join the fray when battle is initiated, and some enemies may call in reinforcements mid-battle.

Then there&#8217;s the rolling HP meter that ticks down when you take damage. If you&#8217;re quick, you can heal your party or defeat the enemy before you&#8217;re knocked out, thereby stopping the damage, which adds a timing element. You can also choose to guard against attacks, spy on enemies to check their stats and weaknesses, use items, cast spells, or attack with your equipped weapon. The game conveniently indicates when a piece of equipment in the store is an upgrade, and the shopkeepers will even buy your old gear in the same transaction. Talk about service!

eb-flyingmen2kfg2.jpg
eb-dungeonmanpdemu.jpg

CAPTION: You never know what curious characters will temporarily join you, in battle or in the field.

Another quality-of-life feature is the telephone found in just about every establishment; it lets you save your game, collect money from your dad, talk to your mom to cure homesickness, call a delivery service to pick up/drop off items, and more. And where there&#8217;s a phone, there&#8217;s usually an ATM &#8212; often in places where you&#8217;ll spend money. And then there&#8217;s the &#8220;Help&#8221; option in the inventory that clearly defines each item you find with a few lines of text. Nice!

I like how your party members follow you in the field, making it feel like an actual party. I like the isometric perspective and the way you can walk diagonally down sidewalks and streets, making each town feel like a proper place with real depth and dimensionality. I like the layout of each town &#8212; expansive enough to feel inhabited, with all the amenities you&#8217;d expect, but smartly designed so that navigating is a snap. And should you get lost, the map is just a button press away.

All of this makes EarthBound fun to actually play. Which is great, because you&#8217;ll want to see this adventure all the way through.

eb-meteoritemqjip.jpg
eb-cottagepfj4f.jpg

CAPTION: From the hilltops where the meteorite lands, to your cottage overlooking the sea, there&#8217;s a lot to see in Onett &#8212; and it&#8217;s only the first town!

A wonderful world:

One of my favorite moments is in Threed, when you use &#8220;zombie paper,&#8221; Apple Kid&#8217;s invention to trap the undead. You lay it down in the circus tent at the heart of town and then go to sleep at the inn. Sure enough, a cutscene triggers, showing the shambling cadavers descending on the tent and walking straight into the trap. When you visit the next morning, there are zombies stuck to the floor, and each one has something to say.

As though that wasn&#8217;t charming enough, there&#8217;s also the &#8220;fly honey&#8221; you retrieved from a trashcan after defeating the Boogey Tent. As one NPC explains to you, fly honey is honey made by flies. Not bees! And you use this fly honey to send Master Belch &#8212; the pile of puke creating the zombies &#8212; into a fit of rapture. He&#8217;s so distracted by the delectable treat that he can&#8217;t attack!

eb-zombies97llb.jpg
eb-belchwvb0h.jpg

Not pictured: The sarcastic zombies who make liberal use of air quotes, and Master Belch&#8217;s alter-ego, the hot-pink Master Barf.

It&#8217;s this matter-of-fact nature to everything &#8212; this silly, but oddly sensible logic &#8212; that permeates the world of EarthBound and makes it memorable. Of course the pile of puke has a craving for fly honey. Of course fly honey is honey made by flies. Of course you can trap zombies by laying down sticky paper in a circus tent. Of course they&#8217;ll be passive-aggressive about it afterward. Why not?!

Or how about Dusty Dunes, where you can relay love messages between a black sesame seed and a white sesame seed &#8212; each a mere pixel in a vast ocean of sand. The game never prompts you to do this; you simply stumble upon them by chance. Or how about the two sunbathers you find lying in the middle of the desert, who assure you they&#8217;re not corpses. And farther down the road, past gridlock traffic and a convenience store selling wet towels, there&#8217;s a mariachi band with a broken slot machine who spin around in place when you hit the lever. Get the signs they&#8217;re holding to match up, and you can win sandwiches! But even if you lose, you still had the pleasure of meeting a Mexican named Tomas Jefferson.

eb-trafficjamm2yqh.jpg
eb-sesamekzxoa.jpg

CAPTION: Time for a detour through the desert! Keep an eye out for a lost contact lens, talking cattle bones, a meditating guru and his monkeys, a gold prospector, mariachi men slot machines, star-crossed sesame seeds and more&#8230;

Everything about the world of EarthBound feels effortless. Like it&#8217;s a real place that exists somewhere and was plopped down in a cartridge (or a conveniently downloaded data pack). I found it engrossing, even when it broke the fourth wall and had the developers talking to me via graffiti on a billboard or a dog possessed at the drugstore. It&#8217;s self-aware and has fun reminding you it&#8217;s a videogame, especially when it comes to plot devices (a trout-flavored yogurt dispenser?!), but it&#8217;s still easy to suspend your disbelief because there&#8217;s an earnestness to its humor and a genuine emotional core that makes everything so gosh darn compelling.

I also like how vibrant the world feels. Grassy bluffs, white picket fences, sparkling water, pillowy snow, deep yellow dunes, rolling clouds, and twinkling stars&#8230; The lil&#8217; vehicles that putter up and down the streets lined with colorful facades and signage. The many NPCs who are clearly parodies of American pop culture icons, from Mr. T to the Blues Brothers. The fact you're attacked by fiends like Annoying Old Party Man, New Age Retro Hippy and Unassuming Local Guy, or even a Mad Taxi straight out of Disney World&#8217;s Toontown. Even the names of re-skinned enemies made me chuckle, like Manly Fish and Manly Fish&#8217;s Brother, or Slimy Little Pile and Even Slimier Little Pile.

The game is just brimming with character. In the snowy land of Winters, for example, you&#8217;ll sneak out of a boarding school, befriend a bubblegum-chewing monkey, explore a camp of cryptozoologists, and hitch a ride on the Loch Ness Monster. Then you&#8217;ll go through a dungeon made by a man who yearns to become the world&#8217;s first man/dungeon hybrid (and later gets his wish, his innards full of bulletin boards with helpful game design tips). There&#8217;s another cave that&#8217;s home to a hyper-localized cloud of rain, and nearby there&#8217;s a pencil-shaped iron statue, which you can erase with an invention called the pencil eraser (not to be confused with the eraser eraser, which erases iron statues that resemble, well, erasers). To the south is Stonehenge, crawling with bears and cavemen, and south of Stonehenge is a lab where a wacky scientist works on UFOs and time machines.

From top to bottom, Winters gets weirder and weirder.

eb-winters7ayur.jpg
eb-threeenemiesw3zif.jpg

CAPTION: On a return trip to Winters, watch out for aliens like the Wooly Shambler, Whirling Robo and Lesser Mook!

Or how about the illusory world of Moonside, where &#8220;yes&#8221; means &#8220;no&#8221; and &#8220;no&#8221; means &#8220;yes;&#8221; where the city of Fourside is depicted with glowing lines on a black backdrop; where random NPCs teleport you at will, and one warns that you&#8217;ll fry your brain if you stay too long. You&#8217;ll also see my favorite opening line to a battle: &#8220;You confronted Abstract Art!&#8221; (Although I&#8217;m partial to Dali&#8217;s Clock.)

Out in Fourside proper, you might meet a bodyguard who warns you to be careful, lest someone take a potshot at you with a machine gun&#8230; or an elevator operator who tells you to stop standing behind her and staring at her hips. An alien might abduct your friend at the mall and leave you to fight killer guitars and scalding cups of coffee. At the museum you might meet an archaeologist who wants a pop star&#8217;s autograph on a pencil eraser, but who&#8217;ll settle for it on a banana peel instead. You&#8217;ll still get to go down the manhole he&#8217;s guarding and fight the Plague Rat of Doom. And don&#8217;t forget to smile and say &#8220;fuzzy pickles!&#8221; for the photographer who drops out of the sky onto a skyscraper!

eb-moonsiderclq3.jpg
eb-foursideouzav.jpg

CAPTION: The neon landscape of Moonside, and the sparkling spires of Fourside. I suppose every town has its dark side!

There&#8217;s even an entire stretch of the game that seems like a loving tribute to pulp novels (quite fitting, since Giygas himself seems dreamt up by H.P. Lovecraft &#8212; with a bit of bio-mechanical H.R. Giger). Playing as Prince Poo in the kingdom of Dalaam to the Far East, you&#8217;ll scale a mountain and meditate while the agents of evil try to trick you. You'll commune with the spirits of your ancestors and learn how to... become nothing. You&#8217;ll then meet up with Ness and cross the sea with a seasick sailor, battling the Kraken on your way to the land of Scaraba. If the desert of Dusty Dunes is the American Southwest, then Scaraba is Egypt, with a pyramid full of living hieroglyphics and a sphinx that wants you to dance. From there you&#8217;ll take a submarine to the jungles of Deep Darkness, where you'll wade through quicksand and murky water, and come across a village of adorable introverts.

eb-pyramidwwfni.jpg
eb-jungle2mila.jpg

CAPTION: The last third of the game includes an epic journey through desert ruins and dense rainforest.

Help the indigenous people overcome their shyness with a book on that very topic, and you&#8217;ll discover the Lost Underworld, full of geysers, dinos and talking Easter Island heads. Here your characters are depicted as mere pixels next to the sizable sprites of the dinosaurs, and you move slowly across the land &#8212; a clever way to convey a sense of scale. The music also sets the tone perfectly for exploring a savage continent. But before you go there, drink some hallucinogenic tea and hear inspirational messages from the game&#8217;s writer. This must&#8217;ve been how Francis York Morgan felt drinking coffee in Deadly Premonition.

eb-chomposaurn8lhu.jpg
eb-teatalkaeab4.jpg

CAPTION: Behold, the fearsome Chomposaur! Also, I don&#8217;t think that was -weed- we smoked&#8230;

This is a game where I feel like I&#8217;m outside on a breezy summer day&#8230; even when it&#8217;s still cold and rainy outside, and I&#8217;m holed up inside. It really feels like you&#8217;re on a grand boyhood adventure. Alternatively, it brings back fond memories of discovering a cool new arcade cabinet at a Pizza Hut &#8212; the kind with the brick walls, red fogged glasses, warm lighting, and a piping hot pizza waiting for you back at your booth. This game is comfort food in a comfy environment, in videogame form.

I can see now why it&#8217;s a world that has stuck with people for so long. It&#8217;s not nostalgia for the game &#8212; I played through this for the first time in a post-3D world (soon to be post-VR!), and I was still hooked. You know it&#8217;s a good game when you&#8217;re checking a player&#8217;s guide not for tips on how to beat it, but just to confirm there&#8217;s plenty of game left because you&#8217;re enjoying it so much and don&#8217;t want it to end.

And when it does end, it ends in the grandest fashion. The places you visited and the people you met all come together in the most spectacular way. It&#8217;s about internalizing the love of the world around you, growing it and sharing it with others. It&#8217;s about the power of family and friendship repelling evil and hate. And ultimately, it's about hope. Just as a wise apple once foretold&#8230;

eb-summerszsayr.jpg
eb-saturnfel48.jpg

eb-robots01h2aa5.jpg
eb-bossroomo3b8x.jpg

eb-giygas01k1adi.jpg
eb-giygas02knlfj.jpg

eb-giygas03osy3c.jpg
eb-robots023zl3u.jpg

CAPTION: Before facing Giygas, I stocked up on Magic Tarts in the resort town of Summers. Then I used the Phase Distorter in Saturn Valley to travel back in time. Turns out we needed robot bodies to survive the trip, but in the end we stopped Giygas and saved the world!

In conclusion:

EarthBound really is a classic. I truly understand now why this is such a cherished part of so many gamers&#8217; childhoods. And for the child-at-heart, EarthBound is a classic waiting to be discovered. Take the game slowly and enjoy it at length, because once you learn the mechanics and acclimate to the game&#8217;s unique rhythm, you won&#8217;t want it to end. And when it does end, make sure you talk to everyone in the game before talking to your mom for the credits roll... and stick around after the credits for a stinger that must've made the wait for Mother 3 unbearable for fans back in 1995.

Speaking of which, I&#8217;m now more interested than ever in trying Mother 3, and I really hope that the rumors of its localization are true&#8230; Mother 3 sounds like a very different game, but it&#8217;s clear it still has the same indelible spirit. I can&#8217;t wait! :)

eb-sequelmiqpp.jpg
eb-prayersl5oru.jpg

So, what are your favorite EarthBound moments and memories?

ebanthology-art02huyqb.png

Illustration by Shawn Witt for starmen.net&#8217;s EarthBound Anthology
Screenshots by myself on my N3DS via Miiverse

Fantastic, unique game. I played through it two years ago and loved it. Even back then I'd largely lost interest in single-player games, but I was glued to my Wii U the entire time, and I still think back to it a couple years later. A genuinely unforgettable experience.

To Itoi and Iwata. Two Great Men who made an absolute classic possible. To all the brilliant people at HAL who poured their love so that it may reach us. May we never forget this game.

Fantastic post, OP. Earthbound is one of my favorite games of all time, and no game ever made has had more heart and soul. It just makes me ...happy.

Fantastic OP!

I too finally played through and beat the game about two weeks ago when it was released on the N3DS VC. I had attempted to play it a few times but never really made it past getting Paula, this time I was able to beat it. It is certainly now in my top favorite games of all time. I loved almost everything about it. If Mother 3 is anything like this one, I can understand why so many people are clamoring for it. I would love another guy in a similar style to this one.

PBalfredo

So glad that the VC releases is introducing new fans to the series, and allowing those merely acquainted with the game to dive in and experience everything.

And you're right that this is a very nostalgic game, even for those playing it for the first time just now, because it's a game about nostalgia. It's a game about childhood and about growing up, a coming-of-age story in video game form. It's woven throughout the game, from the reflective coffee breaks to your immediate goal of visiting each of the "My Sactuary" locations. Thing is about the sanctuaries, they're nothing more than glorified tourist traps. They're nothing magical or special about them. After finding the final sanctuary does Ness realize the real sanctuary is home, but it's a revelation that could only possibly come after first leaving home far, far behind.

Earthbound I'd an essential part of my childhood. I learned how to read playing it.

But that said... these days I think I prefer mother 1 to it. Don't get me wrong, Mother 2 IS the better game, but there is something to be said for Mother 1''s off putting alarming surreal atmosphere.

Yousefb

Never got around to playing the game. Like you, my exposure to the series was through Smash Bros. Yet, while growing up, Ness and the world he came from did not interest me. I needed my RPG's to be "epic and badass". However, nowadays I love going back and rediscovering older games that make feel like a kid again. Gotta admit that the look of Earthbound has a charm to it that has slowly been luring me in. This OP coupled with some podcasts I've listened to that have raved about the series has finally pushed me over the edge I think. I'll be downloading it on the Wii U eshop soon!

Fou-Lu

I usually just quote the thoughts I had after playing the game for the first time when an LTTP thread comes up since there are so many!

Earthbound: A study in whimsy

Earthbound is a cult classic 1996 RPG created by Shigesato Itoi and the folks at Nintendo. It is the second game in a series of games known as the Mother trilogy in Japan (therefore being titled Mother 2 in its home country). Many fans agree that there is something special about the Mother trilogy and its hard to deny that is the case when the recent re-release of Earthbound on the Wii U virtual console has led to much praise for the game from people playing it for the first time. It's worth mentioning that the Mother series has garnered an incredibly devote fanbase that has led to amazing fan creations including faithful translations of Mother 1 (Earthbound Zero) and Mother 3 (Earthbound 2).

Whimsy is a word I often use to describe some of my favourite games, it's something that is hard to describe but is a large factor in my enjoyment of media. There is not a game series out there that embodies whimsy to the extent of the Mother games and Earthbound is certainly no exception. Earthbound tells many interwoven tales: that of journey, that of a boy and his friends growing up and that of humanity's fight against evil. These tales are each treated with just as much importance as the others and are in fact interrelated in such a way as to be inseparable. In short, Earthbound is the epitome of the whimsical and the weird.

Something that often throws new players off is the generally wacky and bizarre nature of Earthbound's world. The party you control includes four preteen kids sent out to save the world by seemingly unconcerned parents. Enemies range from animals, to hippies, to the walking dead, to robots, to aliens, to dinosaurs; locations include regular American towns next to caves filled with talking monkeys or a valley populated by strange aliens who speak in gibberish. Despite these absurdest tendencies underneath it all is a well constructed if episodic narrative that draws you into the world and makes you care about the fate of it and the colourful characters that populate it. This is Earthbound's greatest strength as you journey with Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo you grow with them and become their friend; as the game's original tag line states “Children will become adults and adults will become children.” and that is exactly what happens as they grow you find yourself back in the mind set of a child coming of age and you embrace your connection to the characters all the greater because of it. Where you originally thought “Wow these parents are really terrible, letting their kids go off to save the world without a second thought.” you begin to realize that this is a poignant metaphor for parents having to let their kids grow up. All of this accumulates in a grand finale that leaves you both joyous, victorious and a little heart broken that I am glad to have experienced.

Of course I haven't even mentioned the gameplay yet. Earthbound is of course an old school JRPG and it lovingly emulates the combat system of the famed Dragon Quest series simply replacing magic with psychic powers. However, there are a few unique features that make Earthbound special. Firstly, my most beloved gameplay feature is a simple one; Earthbound features a rolling HP meter, damage is not done to your characters instantly, instead it slowly ticks down, while this is happening they can still make actions, even if an attack has dealt them mortal damage. You can play with this in various ways, healing them before they collapse, or even winning the battle quickly and halting the meter where it stands. Secondly we have the status effects, which are woven into the games theme perfectly; in Earthbound homesickness is a possible status effect only cured by giving your mother a call, remember these are kids out on a journey across the world. Other status effects include getting a cold, or heatstroke from being out in the blazing sun too long. These are things kids would worry about that you might not think about in your standard saving the world JRPG but fit perfectly in the whimsical world of Earthbound. There's also smaller features that make the world seem more living, making phone calls to order pizza or to save the game with your dad, having to take out cash from the ATM to buy items or going to the hospital to pick up your friend who was knocked unconscious in battle. Despite the fact that Earthbound's NPCs are of the typical wander in place variety their witty and often irrelevant dialogue helps make the world feel alive, not every one is talking about you or your quest. It's a solid gameplay experience but you stay for the journey, atmosphere, narrative and characters more than the gameplay alone.

Graphically, while Earthbound is no powerhouse the sprites and the world are beautifully done. Nothing feels out of place in this wacky world, nothing seems like it had no effort put into it. It's a lovingly crafted place that just feels right. Aside from that it is true that it's a pretty simple 16 bit game, the colours are chosen well but from a limited palette, the detail lacking by virtue of the dated hardware. The soundtrack is nothing to sneeze at either, it ranges wildly through many different types of music, but every single track is picked to cause some form of reaction in the player and this is something Earthbound never fails at in any capacity, it always gets you to feel exactly what Itoi wants you to.

No matter how many words I write out I just can't describe how perfect of a package Earthbound is, it might not be the best game of all time (debatable), and it might not be for every one, but it is damn good at what it sets out to do. If you have a Wii U and you haven't played it yet I strongly recommend you give it a shot, who knows you might find yourself realizing that your heart hasn't forgotten childhood after all. In the end Earthbound is a coming of age journey that you won't want to end and you'll feel its loss when it does.

Earthbound is why I play video games.

Great OP.

I never gave Ness a second thought when I first saw him on the original Smash either, until many years later when I was curious on his origin. Playing through Earthbound gave me a sense of nostalgia for something I didn't even play as kid. Every nuance in that game felt thought out. There are few RPGs where I seek out talking to every NPC just to hear what they had to say, and this is one of them!

Also, if you are into further reading, Legends of Localization's write up of the differences of Earthbound/Mother 2 is amazing.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/

Deku89

One of my favorite games of all time. I originally played it on the snes, but my friend took it back before I could beat it. Played it again on Wii u and still loved it. Reading miiverse posts about people playing it for the first time was a treat.

Mother 3 is also very good (haven't beaten it, hoping for an official release), but it's also very different.

Neiteio

OP here. Thinking back on this game some more, it's impressive how there was no "low point" to the game. In other words, nothing grew tiresome or overstayed its welcome.

There were definitely challenging areas (Magicant immediately comes to mind), but in the end they're all well-balanced — firm but fair, and you're always getting stronger.

Just a fun game, all the way through. :)

Crayolan

Great OP. Earthbound is definitely the kind of game that makes me feel that warm fuzzy kind of feeling at certain parts.

As for Mother 3, you're right about it being different. I feel like Earthbound is a game about adventure and growing up, whereas Mother 3 is more about the characters. You can tell it still has the same spirit as Earthbound from the first moments of the game though. You know, the type of spirit that makes you eager to talk to every NPC, has you fighting enemies even more ridiculous than "New Age Retro Hippie", and that isn't afraid to make you laugh during a serious moment.

I have just played and beat the game for the first time this month and it was wonderful. The dialogue, setting, and especially the perfect soundtrack were amazing.

A true classic and deserving of all of the hype that I heard about it over the years.

Killer writeup, Neiteio!

As though that wasn’t charming enough, there’s also the “fly honey” you retrieved from a trashcan after defeating the Boogey Tent. As one NPC explains to you, fly honey is honey made by flies. Not bees! And you use this fly honey to send Master Belch — the pile of puke creating the zombies — into a fit of rapture. He’s so distracted by the delectable treat that he can’t attack!

Remember back in the '90s when "fly honey" also meant something else?
http://static.businessinsider.com/image/5183bd9c6bb3f7695200000b/image.jpg

There's something about how
your minds and/or brains get removed and implanted into robots
during the endgame that makes everything feel even more unsettling than
Giygas and Porky
already were that really leaves an impression. I mean,
you're back to normal at the end
, but that's gotta at least leave a scar on all of 'em, right?

Also, everyone playing this should probably buy that house with the sea view later on. Right? I mean, you might regret it. It's pretty good, though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Lovely OP. I'm glad you persevered and the game finally clicked with you.

I did up a short tribute for EB a while ago in preparation for a Mother 3 analysis. I'll share it because it has reflections from Itoi shortly after the Virtual Console release:

https://ekostories.com/2014/11/15/itoi-earthbound-tribute/
Earthbound features many fourth-wall breaking moments that help draw the player into its strange world, an outsider&#8217;s idyllic take on North American suburbia. It felt post-modern before I knew what post-modern meant. As I grew up, I recognized Earthbound as being brilliant satire, but I also knew that its parodies were never cruel or mean-spirited, but instead guided by a strong sense of whimsy and tender sentimentality. Earthbound is a labour of love. Perhaps that&#8217;s why my teenage self managed to connect so strongly to this game, discovering within it that ineffable quality few works manage to express, of heart.

It was fun, but some of the mechanics have definitely aged like milk (ITEM STORAGE). Plus the home sick and mushroom illnesses requiring you to backtrack completely to a town were frustrating as fuck.

Neiteio

I touched on this in the OP, but one of my favorite moments is when you meditate as Poo. A woman keeps interrupting, saying you're needed back at the palace, but when you go back to the palace, they tell you to resume meditating. This happens again and again until you just decide to ignore the woman and keep meditating.

It's never said outright, but I think the implication is the woman is an agent of Giygas. The reason she keeps telling you to go back to the palace is because Giygas doesn't want Poo to realize his destiny and help Ness. It's when the player finally decides to ignore the woman and simply continue meditating that the ghost appears to Poo and helps him complete his training.

It's a neat way to subvert videogame conventions. Rather than doing what you're told, the answer is to do the opposite, which is to do nothing at all.

It was fun, but some of the mechanics have definitely aged like milk (ITEM STORAGE). Plus the home sick and mushroom illnesses requiring you to backtrack completely to a town were frustrating as fuck.
The item storage could be tricky at times, true, but all in all I think the game is balanced well enough that shuffling of items isn't often necessary. One thing I would've liked, though, is the ability to buy items in bulk, although they might've left that option out so players don't accidentally fill their inventory with unwanted multiples. Forcing the player to buy multiples of the same item, one at a time, makes it more deliberative.

m4st4

I still cry inside, knowing that I sold my WiiU before finishing this masterpiece. Truly, a wonderful experience.

I should probably buy a used console again. Or wait for NX and hope they put it on virtual console again?

1upsuper

The Mother series is very important to me. It's almost like a personal connection. I played through the trilogy many years ago now when I was a younger teen and it really resonated with me, and the humor is so on point with my own. I'm also one of those few people who likes 1 just as much as 2 and 3. I love all of 2, but my favorite parts are probably Saturn Valley and the very final area. The lead up to the final fight is incredible and the tension is palpable unlike so many tryhard RPG final areas.

leroidys

Great writeup, I really enjoyed reading it. I'm looking forward to you trying Mother 3 if it gets released west. It doesn't try and outdo Earthbound, but is an amazing game in its own right.

I still cry inside, knowing that I sold my WiiU before finishing this masterpiece. Truly, a wonderful experience.

I should probably buy a used console again. Or wait for NX and hope they put it on virtual console again?

It's on New 3DS now, if that makes a difference.

I'm hoping I can actually finish it on 3ds. I've tried on the cart version, emulators, and wiiu vc.

I actually played through mother 3 and loved it years ago so I should just buckle down on earthbound.

Neiteio

I'm hoping I can actually finish it on 3ds. I've tried on the cart version, emulators, and wiiu vc.

I actually played through mother 3 and loved it years ago so I should just buckle down on earthbound.
N3DS is what made the difference for me. This is less to do with the game, and more to do with how fidgety I get playing RPGs on a TV.

Although now that the game has clicked with me, I could probably play it (and Mother 3) in any format.

Eegah

As someone who should finally have some free time next month: should I play through the first game before playing Earthbound?

Neiteio

As someone who should finally have some free time next month: should I play through the first game before playing Earthbound?
Others can weigh in with their opinions, but I don't think it's necessary to play Beginnings before EarthBound. EarthBound is almost like a remake of Beginnings, from the sounds of it. Not 1:1, since there are many differences in scenario, but the general premise is similar. It's like EarthBound is a proper evolution of Beginnings.

Eegah

Others can weigh in with their opinions, but I don't think it's necessary to play Beginnings before EarthBound. EarthBound is almost like a remake of Beginnings, from the sounds of it. Not 1:1, since there are many differences in scenario, but the general premise is similar. It's like EarthBound is a proper evolution of Beginnings.

Thanks! Looking forward to finally playing this.

Excellent OP. Thanks for the great read! I've only attempted to play through the game once (Wii U VC), but life happened and I never went back to it. Really enjoyed what I played, though.

Recently, I bought a New 3DS and with most of my gaming taking place on the handheld (and Earthbound releasing on 3DS VC), I figure it's about time to give it another shot.

After reading the OP, my desire is even stronger. Thanks again for the fun read!

What a coincidence, I just finished writing my own review on EarthBound. Still my favorite game!

Loved your write-up; describing it as a "second childhood" is just incredible. I can't get enough of how people inject their own perspectives and experiences into EarthBound. The game is truly timeless.

Pretty much. Beginnings is great, but it's the "prototype" of what Itoi set out to do. EarthBound is what he wanted to accomplish from the beginning.

Neiteio

Excellent OP. Thanks for the great read! I've only attempted to play through the game once (Wii U VC), but life happened and I never went back to it. Really enjoyed what I played, though.

Recently, I bought a New 3DS and with most of my gaming taking place on the handheld (and Earthbound releasing on 3DS VC), I figure it's about time to give it another shot.

After reading the OP, my desire is even stronger. Thanks again for the fun read!
Glad you enjoyed reading it. :-3

Your situation sounds similar to mine — started on WiiU, but life got in the way. Turns out the N3DS is a great way to play this in bits and pieces. I highly recommend it!

Also be sure to tap the touchscreen and go into settings to toggle on perfect pixel mode. Looks lovely! :-D

Makonero

There are parts of Beginnings that feel more raw and more disturbing than Earthbound, especially since it lacks the same humor. The music is (dare I say it?) better than the sequels and all the best music in Earthbound comes from Beginnings. But it is an NES RPG (and a blandly localized one too) so it takes effort. Having played all three Mother games gives me a great appreciation for each. I can't rank them because they each stand alone as the best in their field. As far as I'm concerned, each game is the best RPG on its respective original platform (NES, SNES, GBA) and that's quite a feat.

But play them in any order you like. I played Beginnings last and enjoyed it immensely.

Neiteio

I'm intrigued by the talk of how creepy Mother 1 can be. I'll probably pick it up, if for no other reason than to support the series. But I think my next game will be Pilotwings SNES or Super Metroid.

But I can't stop thinking about EarthBound. The ending is so epic, funny, and sweet... :)

L Thammy

EarthBound is on the short list of my favourite games, and it's by far my favourite in the Mother series. Glad you're enjoying it. Here are my favourite things about it:

First off, the sense of exploration. Just the fact that there's no overworld adds to the sense of scale, and it gets better if you try to see everything and talk to everyone. I actually enjoy the backtracking in the game because it has the sense of "whoa, it feels like forever since I've been here". I don't even think it's a result of the time you spend in game, but the density of the experience that you have in that time.

The people in EarthBound are something special too. They don't really have have anything to do with you. They're just people in the game world with their own thoughts and interests, some of which are magnificently weird. It makes the world seem more realistic. It makes it full of little experiences that would make decent anecdotes. I think the closest experience is talking to a panhandler in real life; they're often people who have no real connection to you but a lot to say.

The subtlety in the storytelling is another thing that I love. Old Nintendo games often didn't bother with story, which meant that you had to put together the game world with your own creativity. It's part of the reason why I liked Brawl in the Family; it was entirely based in that thought process. I feel like EarthBound embraces this. With the SNES, the ability to tell stories that were more crafted were there. They could made a lot more cutscene dialogue instead of NPC dialogue. But they didn't. They never really push a firm idea into your head about who Ness is, what Gigyas is, why Pokey is the way he is, and all these other major things. But you've got hints. And I think that's why it's so fun to play the game every couple years or so, because your perspective shifts and different lines jump out at you. You project yourself onto the game.

I really dislike how a lot of people seem to reduce the game to the Gigyas fight. I've even seem people say to watch that fight on YouTube and skip the game. To me, the amazing thing about the game is the world that it's set in. Not the size, but the little experiences you find in it. All of the little ways that it's subversive.

Tomita

Still playing through the game (got a New 3DS just for Earthbound and I'm taking my time. Plus I'm in uni...).

One thing that really sticks with me about this game is when my party members die or when
Paula gets kidnapped
. I feel upset and worried for them, particularly when
Paula got kidnapped
, and I keep wanting to play to save/help my friends. Like, the last time I felt emotion for a game like that is when I played Pokemon when I was ten and got upset when Pikachu screamed at me when fainting, lol. It never matters when people die in a video game because they're just pixels and you can find an inn or a potion to make them all good again. But, somehow, Earthbound made me care.

Also Pokey is a dick ):

L Thammy

Also Pokey is a dick ):

I'm going to challenge that one-off statement. The way I see it, Pokey doesn't mean any actual harm. He doesn't seem to have any friends and his parents don't seem like the most caring bunch, and even his little brother doesn't respect him. The only person who could be his friend is Ness, and even then, we're given the opportunity to say that he isn't Ness' friend at the beginning of the game.

The way that Pokey seems to go out of his way to taunt Ness and his general attitude make me feel like he perceives the whole game to be, well, a game. A fun, well-meaning contest between him and Ness. He's too immature and selfish to realize that the consequences of his game are dire for the rest of the world.

Plus... well, I'm sure some of you know the obvious thing to bring up.

Actually, I think that the rival from the original Pokemon - Blue or Gary or whatever you want to call him - is a shallow imitation of Pokey. He's the boy next door in the sort of modern world where weird animals and psychic powers exist, and he's always taunting you from one step ahead. But the relationship comes across as being very different in Pokemon. There's nothing vulnerable about that rival, and there's no reason to think that he's got any interest in you aside from being a smug asshole. That rival still ends up being an appealing character though, which really just goes to show how interesting Pokey is. I think that a lot of the staff from EarthBound went on to work for Pokemon (Ape -> Creatures).

Neiteio

EarthBound is on the short list of my favourite games, and it's by far my favourite in the Mother series. Glad you're enjoying it. Here are my favourite things about it:

First off, the sense of exploration. Just the fact that there's no overworld adds to the sense of scale, and it gets better if you try to see everything and talk to everyone. I actually enjoy the backtracking in the game because it has the sense of "whoa, it feels like forever since I've been here". I don't even think it's a result of the time you spend in game, but the density of the experience that you have in that time.

The people in EarthBound are something special too. They don't really have have anything to do with you. They're just people in the game world with their own thoughts and interests, some of which are magnificently weird. It makes the world seem more realistic. It makes it full of little experiences that would make decent anecdotes. I think the closest experience is talking to a panhandler in real life; they're often people who have no real connection to you but a lot to say.

The subtlety in the storytelling is another thing that I love. Old Nintendo games often didn't bother with story, which meant that you had to put together the game world with your own creativity. It's part of the reason why I liked Brawl in the Family; it was entirely based in that thought process. I feel like EarthBound embraces this. With the SNES, the ability to tell stories that were more crafted were there. They could made a lot more cutscene dialogue instead of NPC dialogue. But they didn't. They never really push a firm idea into your head about who Ness is, what Gigyas is, why Pokey is the way he is, and all these other major things. But you've got hints. And I think that's why it's so fun to play the game every couple years or so, because your perspective shifts and different lines jump out at you. You project yourself onto the game.

I really dislike how a lot of people seem to reduce the game to the Gigyas fight. I've even seem people say to watch that fight on YouTube and skip the game. To me, the amazing thing about the game is the world that it's set in. Not the size, but the little experiences you find in it. All of the little ways that it's subversive.
This is wonderful. Well-said, L Thammy. I especially like your panhandler analogy and comments on the scale of the world vs. density of ideas.

I also like your comments on how the characterization allows for a healthy degree of inference and imagination. Giygas, for example, is not so much a character as an overwhelming force of nature. Pokey is a coward who defers to the strongest person in the room, and he can't fathom that love is stronger than hate, so he defies prophecy and sides with the cosmic destroyer. It's like dealing with a bully and seeing your friends' true colors in terms of where they stand.

I'd hope people aren't so reductionist as to focus only on the ending, though. Sure, it's one of the best endings I've seen in a game (maybe the best &#8212; I'll have to think about it), but it works so well precisely because of the journey that came before. It sums up the lives you touched, the people offering up their hope and love to help you repel senseless hate. And the suspense heading into the final battle is amazing. All through the game you hear about this great evil beyond comprehension. Giygas lives up to the hype, but it's the way your heart grew along the way that makes his defeat so satisfying.

Still playing through the game (got a New 3DS just for Earthbound and I'm taking my time. Plus I'm in uni...).

One thing that really sticks with me about this game is when my party members die or when
Paula gets kidnapped
. I feel upset and worried for them, particularly when
Paula got kidnapped
, and I keep wanting to play to save/help my friends. Like, the last time I felt emotion for a game like that is when I played Pokemon when I was ten and got upset when Pikachu screamed at me when fainting, lol. It never matters when people die in a video game because they're just pixels and you can find an inn or a potion to make them all good again. But, somehow, Earthbound made me care.

Also Pokey is a dick ):
Yeah, when Paula was abducted at the mall, I pretty much couldn't stop playing until she was rescued. It's funny that the game looks so simple, graphically speaking, but to me she was a real person in grave peril, and not just some sprite who would return at a scripted point in the game. Or how about earlier in the game, when both Ness and Paula were trapped in the graveyard at Threed, and Jeff leaves Winters to find them. The whole time I was worried about what would happen to Ness and Paula. Those creeps in the hotel weren't fooling around!

higemaru

Stellar OP, I've been wanting to replay Earthbound over the summer and you've only strengthened my case.

My favorite Earthbound memory was crossing the bridge into Fourside for the first time. Like a lot of people, I learned about Earthbound through SSBM and the Fourside stage was always one of my favorites mostly because it just looked so cool. There was the UFO, the night sky, the skyscrapers, it blew me away when I was eight and still kind of does now. And to actually get to explore Fourside in Earthbound was something I could not have been more excited for. It threw me off that Fourside wasn't nighttime at first but as soon as the music began to kick in, I knew that Fourside would deliver on my childhood expectations. And it did.

Man, every second of Earthbound is amazing. So happy it's on the Virtual Console now.

L Thammy

This is wonderful. Well-said, L Thammy. I especially like your panhandler analogy and comments on the scale of the world vs. density of ideas.

I also like your comments on how the characterization allows for a healthy degree of inference and imagination. Giygas, for example, is not so much a character as an overwhelming force of nature. Pokey is a coward who defers to the strongest person in the room, and he can't fathom that love is stronger than hate, so he defies prophecy and sides with the cosmic destroyer. It's like dealing with a bully and seeing your friends' true colors in terms of where they stand.

I'd hope people aren't so reductionist as to focus only on the ending, though. Sure, it's one of the best endings I've seen in a game (maybe the best &#8212; I'll have to think about it), but it works so well precisely because of the journey that came before. It sums up the lives you touched, the people offering up their hope and love to help you repel senseless hate. And the suspense heading into the final battle is amazing. All through the game you hear about this great evil beyond comprehension. Giygas lives up to the hype, but it's the way your heart grew along the way that makes his defeat so satisfying.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you about how the game adds to the ending. The fact that it's just so completely outside of the normal EarthBound world is another reason why that happens. It's that thing Nintendo loves to do, like where the final boss of the happy pastel Kirby game is an eyeball that attacks you with its own blood. Or when your cute little Pikmin see an adorable mushroom creature and you hear their cries as they're all being eaten. In the same way, EarthBound isn't Charlie Brown mixed with the Cthulhu mythos, it's the Cthulhu mythos invading Charlie Brown. It's this outside, alien thing attacking this world.

On Gigyas being a force of nature, here's some food for thought. At the beginning of the game, the alien invasion was carried out in a subdued way. Gigyas' psychic influence making animals go crazy, the Mani Mani statue manipulating people. Towards the end of the game he was carrying out a full-on assault of Onett. Is Gigyas a static thing, remaining in one state and doing nothing while you come to destroy him?

A theory that I've read is that the form you see Gigyas in at the ending is actually a recent thing; it's something Gigyas did to himself because he has no other way of stopping you. In Buzz Buzz's alternative timeline, he didn't have to resort to that measure and he didn't have to destroy himself. Instead of being a chaotic destroyer, he was just a tyrant. Don't know if that was the real intention, but I think that's part of the fun.

Pokey is not a dick!

He is just misunderstood.

Everyone is an asshole but Pokey.

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. :p

Makonero

Yeah, I definitely agree with you about how the game adds to the ending. The fact that it's just so completely outside of the normal EarthBound world is another reason why that happens. It's that thing Nintendo loves to do, like where the final boss of the happy pastel Kirby game is an eyeball that attacks you with its own blood. Or when your cute little Pikmin see an adorable mushroom creature and you hear their cries as they're all being eaten. In the same way, EarthBound isn't Charlie Brown mixed with the Cthulhu mythos, it's the Cthulhu mythos invading Charlie Brown. It's this outside, alien thing attacking this world.

On Gigyas being a force of nature, here's some food for thought. At the beginning of the game, the alien invasion was carried out in a subdued way. Gigyas' psychic influence making animals go crazy, the Mani Mani statue manipulating people. Towards the end of the game he was carrying out a full-on assault of Onett. Is Gigyas a static thing, remaining in one state and doing nothing while you come to destroy him?

A theory that I've read is that the form you see Gigyas in at the ending is actually a recent thing; it's something Gigyas did to himself because he has no other way of stopping you. In Buzz Buzz's alternative timeline, he didn't have to resort to that measure and he didn't have to destroy himself. Instead of being a chaotic destroyer, he was just a tyrant. Don't know if that was the real intention, but I think that's part of the fun.

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. :p

Did you play Beginnings at all? Giygas/Giegue gets a bit more characterization there and a bit of a backstory. He and Pokey are two peas in a pod, for sure.

Neiteio

Oh, I love that "Cthulhu mythos invading Charlie Brown" line. You're full of good ideas!

Regarding the nature of Giygas, I'll offer up the theory that the Giygas in the past (where robo-Ness and company fight him) is not yet fully formed. Pokey gave him a semblance of structure with the Devil's Machine, but once he's unshackled from his restraints, Giygas is just a swirling maelstrom of madness. Perhaps in the future, he would pull himself together and become the dictator of which Buzz Buzz spoke?

On a side note, I love the idea that nearly all of the villains you fight (including wild animals) are corrupted by Giygas' influence, and you're literally beating sense back into them. :p

Top Bottom