• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Flower thatgamecompany > Team ICO

Boney

Banned
AAK said:
ARgh FFS! I'm not trying to start any shit... *sigh* this thread title was a mistake, what was I thinking. :lol
Your Miyazaki comparison was worse. WAY WAY worse.

Dude Abides

Banned
AAK said:
:lol

Oh man, yeah, I guess the thread title took everything away from the real context of my post. The thread was made more for an appreciation for Flower than a comparison, I only spent a marginal amount of space in the OP where I say that flower wins the game= art thing and I just brought Team ICO as a comparison. I have nothing but respect for Ueda and his team. But carry on by all means if you think I'm trying to "pit developers against one another".

You put Dev 1 > Dev 2 in the thread title and expressed similar sentiment in the post. If you wanted to make a Flower appreciation thread you could have done so - I think people usually put "LTTP" in the thread title when they do that. If you make a dumb X > Y post you shouldn't complain when people who like Y express their disagreement.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Flower was a cool experience, I agree, but does anyone still think fl0w is remotely interesting? It was the first thing I bought on PSN a few months after the PS3 launched and I really don't think anyone would've cared about it if it wasn't one of like 3 games available for download at the time. It's one of the few software purchases I truly regret.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Flower was a cool experience, I agree, but does anyone still think fl0w is remotely interesting? It was the first thing I bought on PSN a few months after the PS3 launched and I really don't think anyone would've cared about it if it wasn't one of like 3 games available for download at the time. It's one of the few software purchases I truly regret.

Eh, it's okay. I got bored of it pretty quickly. It doesn't even hold a candle to Flower.

AAK

John said:
Man this is embarrassing

It's cool man, I made my bed, gotta live w/ it. Flower is spectacular regardless.

Edit: As for the Miyazaki comment, it just spurred from the emotions I got while I played Flower.
In the last segment of Flower how the pollination and blowing of the petals brought back life and color to the urban life humans desired sort of reflected the themes I saw in the Miyazaki movies like Nausicaa/Mononoke how nature plays an integral part of humanity. But I'm sorry for saying "he would dream he could make Flower" comment I take it back. Sorry GAF

lyre

No, you're right. Miyazaki, even in his wildest dreams, cannot pen something as boring as Flower. Even his worst movie,
Howl's Moving Castle
was a treat.

Yoboman

AAK said:
It's cool man, I made my bed, gotta live w/ it. Flower is spectacular regardless.

Edit: As for the Miyazaki comment, it just spurred from the emotions I got while I played Flower.
In the last segment of Flower how the pollination and blowing of the petals brought back life and color to the urban life humans desired sort of reflected the themes I saw in the Miyazaki movies like Nausicaa/Mononoke how nature plays an integral part of humanity. But I'm sorry for saying "he would dream he could make Flower" comment I take it back. Sorry GAF
Flower is far more minimalist than anything Miyazaki has done, it's not his style at all.

Loved flower. :D

Won't bother making comparisons between Team ICO and thatgamecompany, all games buy either developer have been great experiences.
Reilly said:
thatgamecompany is overrated garbage.
Even if you don't like them, garbage?

JesseZao

Parallax Scroll said:
Hell no. I bought Flower based on GAF praise only to find out the game is fucking garbage.

Yeah, I get the feeling it's one big troll. There must be a reason for no demo.

Parallax Scroll said:
Hell no. I bought Flower based on GAF praise only to find out the game is fucking garbage.
While I wouldn't call it garbage...I can't really disagree with someone who thinks it is. You don't really do anything in the game, at all. Hell, you might even say Heavy Rain has more game than Flower. Honestly, although I "get" what Flower attempted(and pulled off), it felt more like an extended tech demo than any sort of real gameplay demonstration so to speak.

abstract alien said:
While I wouldn't call it garbage...I can't really disagree with someone who thinks it is. You don't really do anything in the game, at all. Hell, you might even say Heavy Rain has more game than Flower. Honestly, although I "get" what Flower attempted(and pulled off), it felt more like an extended tech demo than any sort of real gameplay demonstration so to speak.
The controls suck too.

EL Beefo

Parallax Scroll said:

I'm just glad I bought it during a sale. I wouldn't say it's garbage, but it was pretty boring.

JesseZao said:
Yeah, I get the feeling it's one big troll. There must be a reason for no demo.

Do that many indie games even have demos (or at least good ones)? Sometimes developers can't justify the costs of putting one out, even moreso if it's a small company like TGC.

I love, love, love Flower; an emotionally breathtaking experience. I certainly understand your enthusiasm, OP.

A bad idea to pull in Team ICO and Miyazaki, though. Flower is unique.

Pikelet

Flower is terrible. The gameplay had no substance, the controls did not feel good at all, the art was pretty but ultimately bland and the moral/message was cliched at best.

PkunkFury

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't get the love for this game. Sure it was fun and surreal to just circle around the field in the first level, but once I actually tried to play Flower as a game it was nothing short of frusterating. One of my least favorite PSN purchases

Also boggles my mind that so many people praise the motin controls in this, though i don't think my issues were with the motion itself, but more the game design

The way some of you guys talk about your experience with flower it sounds like we played different games.

A lot of the people that don't like it seem to think the entire game is the same as the first two levels or just didn't understand how the game works.

John

AAK said:
Stop making things up.

Jex

Maybe you'd have avoided scathing attacks if you didn't arbitrary compare Flower to Team Ico games and, ummm, Miyazaki?

Discussing a game, lttp, is one thing. Bringing up unwarranted and hard to justify comparisons is another.

It just distracts from the game you might want to talk about.

Never finished the game and probably never will since the controls were bad.

Call me back when they patch in the option to use the analog stick instead of the crappy sixaxis.

and I don't even want to humor you with your dumb thread title :lol

I thought the controls worked really well. Only annoyance I had was the occasional flower that I had to go far out and turn around to get (because you could circle around it all you wanted, it would never catch it).

snap0212

Just like every other game, flower is not for everyone. I could see myself hating it for various reasons, but I somehow love, love, love it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Truth: Team ICO, thatgamecompany, and Hayao Miyazaki are awesome.

Well, the closest Miyazaki game is probably Ninokuni since it was animated by Ghibli, but not necessarily directed by Miyazaki.

I can't really say I'm too excited about Flower. I mean, it's nice and all, but it's a bit dull in the gameplay department. Much more enjoyed flOw because of those crazy little Cambrian-esque creatures.

Flower has rudimentary gameplay, and relies for its impact almost wholly on emotion. This means reaction will inevitably be split between those for whom it works, and those who are unaffected (in the most literal sense). I have no beef with either the folks who've responded with praise, or those calling it a screensaver.
For me, the emotion worked--especially the contrast between the last two levels.
Both reactions seem possible.

But as a different mode of design, separated by a huge gulf in sensibility even from titles commonly invoked as "art" like Team ICO's, Flower is important and germane to any discussion of what video games are.

Wasn`t Flower just a small, cheap downloadable title? I am pretty sure even thatgamecompany would not go with that sort of hyperbole.

But I enjoyed it anyway. It was a fun game. That being said, Braid totally hops on its head, rewinds time, and bonks them again as far as actual game mechanics goes.

gokieks

I liked SotC. I loved Flower. I absolutely adore Ico. And I think this thread is about 7 types of terrible.

OnPoint

Parallax Scroll said:
The controls suck too.

Everyone says 'opinions are like assholes' but no one takes into consideration that assholes can't be wrong.

It's one thing to not like the game, or not like the controls, but they're spot on and work well.

OnPoint said:
Everyone says 'opinions are like assholes' but no one takes into consideration that assholes can't be wrong.

It's one thing to not like the game, or not like the controls, but they're spot on and work well.
They are as spot on as lindsay lohan behind a wheel.

Way too floaty and loose and the sixaixs is as much of a motion controller as waving a stick in front of your wii.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
zoukka said:
The last level sucked balls. And the quality is never even near Team ICO games.

Last level was fucking brilliant! It is an quality game but I still think Team Ico has more to offer.

OnPoint

TheThunder said:
They are as spot on as lindsay lohan behind a wheel.

Way too floaty and loose and the sixaixs is as much of a motion controller as waving a stick in front of your wii.

I couldn't disagree more -- I found them to be engaging and perfectly mailable, but I think there's no convincing those of you who dislike it, despite the critical acclaim the game has received. I'm truly sorry you can't enjoy the game.

Top Bottom