• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Game of Thrones (Up through Season 4). The Lannisters are what make this show

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a dude who just wants to fuck his sister in peace. He loves his family and wants to just hang out. He does fucked up shit sure... but other than pushing bran out the window, what makes him a piece of shit? By the morals of the show's world, he hasn't done anything really that bad

People like the mountain, or missandre, or Cats sister. Pete Baelish. Those are shit pisses. Jaime isn't bad.
Having children with his sister knowing it could start a war and then advocating for said war, being ready to run down and kill Arya and only not doing so because he couldn't find her (though maybe he would have backed off, though he doesn't think so), killing Ned's men for absolutely no reason (especially Jory since he had actually joked around and drunk with him on the way to Kings Landing), and more.
I'm glad he's a better person/doing well now (moreso in the books), but Jaime has more than one blemish on his record.
I might just edge Theon out on the piece of shit meter though, he gets a bit too murder happy in Clash.

Dex815

Best family in the seven kingdoms.

qnY8Kwx.jpg

Having children with his sister knowing it could start a war and then advocating for said war

I don't want to advocate incest, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I think he truly does love Cersei. To him, she married Robert because she had to. They were together first.

being ready to run down and kill Arya and only not doing so because he couldn't find her (though maybe he would have backed off, though he doesn't think so)
I don't remember the context.

killing Ned's men for absolutely no reason (especially Jory since he had actually joked around and drunk with him on the way to Kings Landing), and more.

Blame Cat for this one. You can hardly say "No reason". Starks were holding his beloved brother hostage. And Ned did nothing to de escalate the situation. In fact, he egged him on.

Season 4 is my personal favourite. 3 and 1 are amazing and I really enjoyed season 2.

Season 5 was very poor outside of one name-dropping episode.

Season 6 is a definite improvement, but doesn't quite hit the highs of the first 4 seasons. It's becoming quite predictable.

Id always recommend reading the books to people who enjoyed the first 4 seasons.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Season 5 is by far the worst season but has maybe the best single episode so far

(Maybe season 2 wasn't as good as I remember but I really don't think so)

Had is the correct operative word here. It lost that crown easily once Season 6 episodes 9 and 10 aired.

Black_Sun

I actually hate the show's myopic focus on the Lannisters to the detriment of the pacing and story.

There are way too many padding scenes where the Lannisters don't do anything but talk and spin their wheels.

It's kind of irritating when there are other characters that need some fleshing out.

Stannis, Doran, Mance Rayder, Catelyn Stark, Loras, the three eyed raven and Bran Stark.

Anyways season 5 is the worst season and season 6 is mixed. Season 6 is either the second or third or worst season. Definitely better than season 5 though.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I actually hate the show's myopic focus on the Lannisters to the detriment of the pacing and story.

There are way too many padding scenes where the Lannisters don't do anything but talk and spin their wheels.

It's kind of irritating when there are other characters that need some fleshing out.

Stannis, Doran, Mance Rayder, Catelyn Stark, Loras, the three eyed raven and Bran Stark.

Anyways season 5 is the worst season and season 6 is mixed. Season 6 is either the second or third or worst season. Definitely better than season 5 though.

Season 6 probably had the worst start to a season yet. But within a few episodes it course corrected itself.

Stannis sucks fuck him. Who is Doran? Mance was kind of cool I agree. Catelyn got her family killed. Bran just needs interesting shit to do.

Loras is fine.

Season 5 is easily the worst season of a show that I would already define as a "guilty pleasure."

If you think it's good (holy shit, better than Season 2??) then you lack the critical thinking skills to recognize what makes television writing good or bad. It's not even a matter of taste, there are serious fundamental issues in the writing and construction of individual episodes and the season arc.
The edginess of this post is impressive. I hope you tipped your fedora before clicking submit.

Speevy

Banned
After finishing season 4, you should watch the episodes directed by Miguel Sapochnik.

The gaps in events will be confusing, but not nearly as painful as what fills them in.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Even without reading the books I could tell there were more significant deviations from the source material with each season. The cohesive feel of the first (and second, to a slightly lesser extent) is unmatched throughout the rest of the series.

I had no problems with Season 5 until I read the books and realized how much they changed or left out. It's like a Flanderized version of the series. That's the only way I can describe it. Season 6 alleviated my fears and brought the show back to form. Can't wait for the last two.

Dany and Arya's stories took a huge nosedive at some point. I haven't cared about either character in a long time. Or, to be more precise, I haven't cared for watching them at the moment - their futures hold immense potential, but the way their stories started being written scene-to-scene became too formulaic or non-eventful. They have some of the most meandering story arcs I've ever seen/read. It's like R.R. Martin had a vision for these characters, but lost them in the execution of the overarching narrative. You could honestly cut 70% of their later scenes and the series would be much more enjoyable. Obviously, that seems to be changing now, but still.

The context is that he would do literally anything for Cersei. He tried to kill Bran and Cersei wanted him to kill Arya for hitting Joffrey. He admits later that he probably would have.

It's Bran's fault. Little brat tries to climb everywhere!

Nah Jaime wouldn't kill Arya. He holds his personal chivalric code over Cersei's command.

It's Bran's fault. Little brat tries to climb everywhere!

Nah Jaime wouldn't kill Arya. He holds his personal chivalric code over Cersei's command.
Have you forgotten who Jaime was pre-rehabilitation arc?
Keep in mind he had no qualms helping run down Micha, and he still to this day hasn't felt remorse for attempting to murder Bran.

CloudWolf

Whoo, what's with this hate for the early seasons? Season 1 and 2 were great IMO. I'd rank it like this:

3 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 6 >>>>>>> 5

Season 6 is a pretty mixed bag, IMO.
Agreed. The final two episodes and The Door are pretty much top-tier Thrones, but the rest was pretty forgettable and sometimes outright bad IMO.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
6 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

5 is weird cus it has some of the best Game of Thrones episodes but the start of the season is a bit long winded and uneventful and the full season has one crappy storyline. I don't know how to rank a season that has some of the best stuff but also some of the worst.

Vitten

Have to agree, the high level political scheming is what made the show great, not the boring fantasy stuff.
And Charles Dance really killed it as Tywin Lannister. Amazing actor ! When he got offed the series took a serious dive.

GOT will never get better than this scene

xevis

Banned
Yeah man,
Hardhome
was sooooo terrible.

[edit]

Right after that we had
The Dance of Dragons and Mother's Mercy
, all fantastic episodes.

Realtalk: This episode was terrible. (Mild spoilers follow)

Besides white walkers being a naff story element that should never have existed the episode itself was a mess of CGI this fighting CGI that. More, the characters were poorly developed so there's very little audience investment and the entire storyline was just a compressed repeat of a similar (better!) story from Season 3.

EDIT:
Have to agree, the high level political scheming is what made the show great, not the boring fantasy stuff.

My man. Fistbump? Fistbump.

Herne

And Charles Dance really killed it as Tywin Lannister. Amazing actor ! When he got offed the series took a serious dive.

GOT will never get better than this scene

You sound like my brother, who complains about the new focus on the fantasy elements. But the fantasy elements were always there, and right from the very start of the very first episode we knew were things would be going. As time went by more of the fantastical was revealed. The show was always going in this direction, was always going to end like this, and we were always told so.

The political scheming absolutely made the show, and I'm glad we got so many seasons of it (and it's not exactly done yet). Cersei sits precariously on a throne she has no claim to, Petyr Baelish has plans of his own we can hardly guess at, a newly crowned Euron has his own aims while his fleet is built and Jon as King in the North and Sansa as his advisor have a ways to to yet.

I look forward to the fantasy stuff just as much I do the political.

Edit - Shit, not sure how I forgot the spoiler tags. Thanks for pointing that out, and to anyone who may have had things ruined for them, I am truly sorry. Hopefully nobody...? :(

Grinchy

Banned
I skipped every scene with Daenerys on my re-watch up until one of the characters I really like started interacting with her. And it's not just because I think a horrible actor was cast for the character. I just really don't like the storyline. It's so repetitive and slow.

Keep in mind he had no qualms helping run down Micha, and he still to this day hasn't felt remorse for attempting to murder Bran.

Jamie is a a sick, compromised individual who despite all that he's done has actually displayed some scraps of humanity and decency throughout the show.

People need to keep in mind he is damaged. He bought into the honor and glory nonsense that came with being in the kingsguard...only to discover how foul of an existence that is when your king is a lunatic. Not to mention what he does pre-season 1

Being forced to choose between his mad king and his father, discovering the king's plot to murder everyone with wildfire. He then kills the king, ostensibly saving everyone, and gets shit on for it because of this illusion of honor and decency that surrounded his position

Jamie is jaded because he was shit on for doing the right thing (for whatever reason he did it). He stopped giving a damn because of that and even now has a sadistic streak because of it. This does not excuse his actions, but it does provide context.

And the while the political games were entertaining; the ultimate point is that they are, in fact pointless. The white walkers do not give a damn about who sits on the Iron Throne. They are coming to murder and zombify everyone. Time and again the rulers of the south have ignored the problem. Stannis, however despicable he might have become, was at least pragmatic enough to take the wildling threat seriously. The political ambitions of Cersi, the Tyrells, Littlefinger, none of it is going to amount to anything beyond weakening the realms of men so that when the dead come calling, things will be very, very dire.

kswiston

Not even close. Seasons 1,3 and 4 were much better than 6. It had great political storylines then.

Season 6 had a lot of emotional payoffs, and some great direction on those final two episodes. Political intrigue has sort of taken a back seat to character stuff, but finally seeing some of the plot threads come together after 5 years (or as many as 20 for book readers) is satisfying.

But he had to kill Bran to avoid civil war though! Jaime is the true protector of the realm!!!

the wonderful Terminator chase sequence truly helped elevating S6 above the rest

but the actual best season was 1 followed by 4 and 3

I remember making a thread calling that s6e7? the worse episode of the series.

However s6e9, s6e10 are clearly the best 2 episodes of the whole series I rate s6 second best overall after s4. Red Viper is too awesome.

Nielm

Personally I think The Winds of Winter is the best episode, Battle of the Blackwater coming next.

The Winds of Winter is incredibly satisfying to watch after witnessing everything that's lead up to it, it was the episode that kept on giving, especially the opening sequence.

The actual battle in The Battle of the Bastards eclipsed the Blackwater battle by far, but the plot focused on 'Jon vs Ramsay', I just thought it was too contained/superficial and the Blackwater episode had a wider, more interesting scope with more depth/far better dialogue. I've seen S06E09 twice, and on the second viewing it had already lost a lot of its spark.

S02E09 and S06E09 both have my favorite cinematic moments of the show, the wildfire explosion/shield wall.

Season 5 halftime report.

This season is definitely not as good as 3 and 4, but it's still great.

Epic Jon Snow season. First time I've been pumped for his parts.

Very good Dany arc. She's learning that winning and ruling aren't the same thing.

Very good sansa arc. Her wedding looked amazing. I want a night time snow wedding. Tell Simon from misfits to cool his shit tho.

The faith militant stuff is neat. Gonna backfire on cersei. No way she can reign in religious extremists.

Arya and Jamie stuff is a bit weak.

I'm on episode 6

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Season 5 halftime report.

This season is definitely not as good as 3 and 4, but it's still great.

Epic Jon Snow season. First time I've been pumped for his parts.

Very good Dany arc. She's learning that winning and ruling aren't the same thing.

Very good sansa arc. Her wedding looked amazing. I want a night time snow wedding. Tell Simon from misfits to cool his shit tho.

The faith militant stuff is neat. Gonna backfire on cersei. No way she can reign in religious extremists.

Arya and Jamie stuff is a bit weak.

I'm on episode 6

I would avoid this thread till you finish the season in case of accidental spoiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom