• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Jet Set Radioooooooo

Fandangox

So I got Jet Set Radio when it was free on steam months ago, I tried to play it, but my laptop isn't exactly what I'd call the benchmark of technology, so I had trouble running it since it had lots of slowdowns.

Recently I upgraded my memory to 8GB for work and some stuff ran a lot better. I decided to give Jet Set Radio another go and it ran very well, excluding some area where it got pretty busy with too many things on screen, but very well for the most part.

I think I remember Jet Set Radio Future being the first Xbox game I played, this was obviously a long time ago, so I do not remember much about that experience aside from enjoying how the skating worked.

Now that I played through the original through completion I gotta say I enjoyed it a lot. The play-through was slightly hindered by the fact that I played this on a keyboard, which made smoothly controlling the characters a lot harder than it should have, I think.

Music: The OST is great, some songs are a bit annoying, but they all fit pretty well into the game's aesthetic/style. There's one in particular that reminded me a lot of Splatoon (by the way I can see that game got some inspiration from here) I liked that it kept changing the songs as the time passes, making them feel less repetitive. Also was that kid barking in that one song or what.

Mechanics: The game's pretty simple in this regard, but the mechanics work well, and I felt most of my issues controlling the character came more from the camera issues and the fact that I was using a keyboard, but I felt all the characters controlled pretty well. Got to try them all and I think Gum and Yo-Yo were my favorite to use.

Level Design: I thought it was smart how the game forces you to get used to each city's fragmented sections as you advance through the game, you first go through each fragment of a city first, then when you revisit the same area, the city's fragments are connected and you can go travel through the area on the same level. That said, probably due to the keyboard controls, the one level in Grind City where you have to use those elevators to get on top was a bit annoying, since I kept falling down a lot. Last level was a bit disappointing though, very easy for a last level, and yet at the same time, introduces what could have been an interesting (if frustrating) platforming element not seen anywhere else.

There wasn't a lot of "story" mostly a framing device to excuse the kids going around spraying graffity, but I don't think it needed one anyways. Using the radio station as exposition was nice. I read that future has a bit more plot, but that its mostly a re-imagining of the original game (what's up with those redesigns, by the way)

Overall I enjoyed the game a lot, It would be nice to see a sequel with improves the mechanics, and maybe adds a hub world to freely skate around while you go to each level. Doubt that's happening anytime soon, though.

So I got Jet Set Radio when it was free on steam months ago, I tried to play it, but my laptop isn't exactly what I'd call the benchmark of technology, so I had trouble running it since it had lots of slowdowns.

Out of curiosity - what was your configuration? I've always considered JSR HD to be the "it runs on a toaster" game. My PC doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card and runs it very smoothly, while even such titles as Worms: Ultimate Mayhem and Tales of Monkey Island struggle.

That being said, I do have 7 Gb of non-reserved RAM...

Fandangox

Out of curiosity - what was your configuration? I've always considered JSR HD to be the "it runs on a toaster" game. My PC doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card and runs it very smoothly, while even such titles as Worms: Ultimate Mayhem and Tales of Monkey Island struggle.

That being said, I do have 7 Gb of non-reserved RAM...

I ran it on windowed mode 800x600 resolution, which made it run well enough. I didn't mess with any other settings aside from controls.

Fugu

Surely one of the best games ever made. Every element is stellar. Good replay value too, as getting the top rank on every stage is actually fairly challenging.

I play through this every few years. Might be time for another go...

AHK_Hero

Aww yeah. Just mentioning the name brings back so many memories. Of course when I first played it, it was known as Jet Grind Radio.

I remember using my Dreamcast's blazing fast 56K modem to choose DBZ character art as my own custom tags. Goku was kamehamehaing all over town.

Are custom tags an option in the PC version?

And that soundtrack. I felt it right in my
sweet
soul, brother.

Dweebo

Banned
I tried giving this game another shot recently and I just can't seem to get into it. Presentation, graphics, and sound track are all great but the controls are just too floaty coming from someone who really enjoyed the Tony Hawk games and it just became too frustrating for me to play.

Fandangox

No, I meant your hardware specs.

Intel Graphics Card (can't be replaced) Intel(R) HD Graphics 64MB.

mmpJFVi.png

Intel Graphics Card (can't be replaced) Intel(R) HD Graphics 64MB.

mmpJFVi.png

Oh. I have Intel Pentium G840 which, while much older and being in the same ballpark as yours, is a little bit more capable.

I recommend you to dig around your BIOS settings and look if you can share more memory with the video module - it should be an option. I have set 1 Gb of shared memory.

Stalk

A game where I'll go through months of listening to the soundtrack over and over haha. In that period now.

Was one of my favourite games on the Dreamcast, grew up playing a pirated copy a friend gave me and loved the hell out of it. Could never get on with the sequel as much but there's a lot of great presentation there and the aforementioned soundtrack is guilty of being fairly formative of my taste in music.

Shame that the series will never continue but hey, I can always go play Lucio in Overwatch.

J@hranimo

Banned
I love this game and its sequel. I also played JSRF first and later JSR (once on Dreamcast, again with the HD release) and it's just so cool. I still believe in JSRF getting that HD port treatment one day. Love the soundtrack and art style and arcade-y missions to get certain characters.

Fandangox

Oh. I have Intel Pentium G840 which, while much older and being in the same ballpark as yours, is a little bit more capable.

I recommend you to dig around your BIOS settings and look if you can share more memory with the video module - it should be an option. I have set 1 Gb of shared memory.

For the graphics card? Pretty sure it was one of the very first things I looked into before getting this laptop, and it wasn't possible. Still decided to get it since I was needing a new one mostly for work, and this was on sale for cheap.

Bgamer90

Banned
Played this last week on my Xbox One. Controls are pretty outdated but it's still very fun to play and the music is still great.

Even though I don't think the controls are good, I was surprised by how much better the Xbox One controller is for spraying graffiti with the analog stick; Much better than the 360 & Dreamcast controllers.

Nosgotham

Jet Grind Radio was the game that sold me on Dreamcast. i had so much fun with that game. it was the soundtrack to my summer the year i got it

CamHostage

On sale on Vita this week on NA PSN, will probably get it after waiting way too long.

Too bad the remake didn't stir SEGA to remake JSR Future too, I never got that one but the graphics and music always made me feel like I missed out on not being an Xbox guy.

Speely

Banned
Glad you got to finally enjoy this great game, OP!

I really don't think a competent sequel could be made to Jet Set Radio at this point in time. It was such a product of its time that I just don't trust anyone to replicate it.

100% agreed. I would like to see Sega try something that was a product of our time with the same spirit that gave us JSR, though. They were so adventurous in that era.

I just started playing this for the first time three days ago. I love the charm that this game has and it baffles me that there is no JSRF HD port.

Guess Who

Banned
Overall I enjoyed the game a lot, It would be nice to see a sequel with improves the mechanics, and maybe adds a hub world to freely skate around while you go to each level. Doubt that's happening anytime soon, though.

They did make it and it was Jet Set Radio Future and you should totally play it now that you have JSR for context.

"They did make it and it was Jet Set Radio Future and you should totally play it now that you have JSR for context."

In no way does JSRF improve on the mechanics from JSR. In no way does JSRF improve on anything from JSR besides graphics.

I found Jet Set Radio difficult to go back to after playing Jet Set Radio Future. I wouldn't call the controls in either game spectacular, but Jet Set Radio Future has a lot better air control and other things that make it way more fun to play.

I wish Sega would do an update to JSRF already. The Xbox 360 backwards compatibility for it has a lot of performance problems that can make it pretty aggravating to play.

Zubz

Banned
JSR was a perfect "arcadey" game; I'd love to see a newer sequel that builds off of that. I don't want to add to any of the arguments for/against Future, but it's been a decade and a half since JSRF; we're definitely due for a new digital game.

JSR Just oozes charm.

Also if you're still in the mood, check out this neat little fan site / radio channel inspired by JSR:

http://jetsetradio.live/

Oh, this is still running? I thought it stopped. Nice!

dlauv

This game is so good. I was pretty disappointed by the sequel, but it does add the hub and improved controls you'd like.

It has a bit of jank and the controls can be difficult, but it's one of the most addictive skill-based platformers I've played.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm forced to contribute to any JSR vs. JSRF discussion. Sorry for cluttering the thread up with more of that. It's a horrible reflex I have that I wish I could suppress, but JSR is in my "top 10 of all time" game list so it is what it is. :V

JSR and JSRF each have their own flaws, but the difference is that JSR's flaws can be nullified with practice, whereas Future's cannot.

JSR has wonky physics, questionable collision detection, some inexplicable choices in the control scheme (camera orientation and tag mapped to same button), and some lackluster mission types ("tag the rival" stages), but as you play the game more, you can shave the rough edges off every last one of those problems. As rough as some of the core game mechanics are, you eventually learn the nuances in everything: how to maintain speed, what kind of angles you have to hit various surfaces from to keep you from crashing to a halt or flipping around in weird ways, how to wrangle the camera, the exact distance you need to trail an enemy to consistently tag him, etc. And once you've done all of that, you're left with a pretty stylish and rewarding game that stresses resource management, threat prioritization, time attack, score attack, etc. There's a lot of little things working in harmony and it's always fun to go back to; you just gotta get over that initial hump.

Future fixed a lot of what was rough about JSR. The controls are less stupid. Building and maintaining speed is more intuitive. Tag-the-rival stages don't suck anymore. There are a lot more boss stages and mini-games, and most of them are actually pretty fun. The physics in general just "feel" better. And there are just a lot more (and bigger) stages, lots more characters, etc.

But then Future robbed you of the ability to build much of anything interesting with the cool new tools that it gave you.

Kibagaoka Hill is a stage in Future that exemplifies this perfectly. It's the one in Kogane that's basically structured in a large loop, with power lines that are laid over a huge chasm. For the first half of this stage, you just have to run a lap around it and knock jet airplanes out of the sky. After that, you have to loop around it again and hit all the graffiti tags. Neither of those tasks, by themselves, are particularly challenging or engaging. But if this had been a stage in JSR, the game would have respected you enough to make you handle doing both of those things at the same time, with you having to hit your tags while constantly evading respawning enemies, and having these enemies change their attack patterns or abilities as you progressed further in the stage.

You don't really realize how well JSR's main components work together until you break them down like this. Think about the motion commands you had to do in JSR whenever you sprayed a medium or large tag, and how that mechanic was removed entirely from Future. Now, the motions weren't really interesting in and of themselves, and there were only 3 distinct sequences used throughout the entirety of the game. But they were there for a reason: to intentionally slow you down while you're tagging, so that the enemies in the stage would close in on you, forcing you to think ahead before you started a tag. You had to either put a lot of distance between you and the enemies before tagging, or you had to know the stage well enough to know which kinds of enemies would be a threat for which tags at the start of the stage vs the end of the stage, and plan your route around them with that knowledge. Characters with the highest graffiti rating gave you the most points for completing large tags, but they also had the most complicated patterns to perform, meaning that it'd take more time and care to complete the tags, making them even more of a sitting target while they're doing it. They also couldn't carry as many paint cans as other characters, so you had to plan an even better route, lest you have to double-back for paint more often and be exposed to more danger or waste more time.

Play JSR long enough and you'll see how it all gels together. In this clip, at 6:18, I (1) intentionally put myself in the enemies' line of sight to make them chase me, (2) jump over the gap to trigger the "escape" cutscene and reset the enemies' position in the room, (3) respawn at the bottom of the stage, allowing me to ascend the stairs and hit the XL tag in the center unseen because the enemies are looking in the opposite directions away from the tag, (4) despawn all of the enemies in the room at 7:30 because I've hit the exact number of red tags in the stage needed to make the stage transition from one enemy type to another, which takes full effect upon the next red tag I complete, (5) allowing me to hit ALL of the green tags in this area with no fear of being hit, which is important because the next enemy type to spawn is the most aggravating and difficult one to deal with in the entire game. Altogether, that's quite an effective sequence of actions to clear a major part of the hardest stage, while significantly boosting my score and taking minimal damage in the process.

There was A LOT of planning and care that it took in order for me to put all the pieces into place and in the right order so that this room went off without a hitch, to say nothing of the rest of that stage's run. This is something you just never experience in Future because the game doesn't ever let you do two things at once. You just travel from point A to point B, hitting all the tags along the way, and if you have to confront an enemy in combat, you're walled off in a small little space for it and nothing else. Then you resume tagging once you've disposed of him. There are no motion commands for graffiti in Future because it would have been entirely pointless to implement them anyway; it's not like there are any threats you have to run from when tagging, and thus no reason for the game to make the process any more involved than it is. And I haven't really touched upon the differences in the scoring systems for grinding on rails; there's no real incentive to learn how to maintain a long grind in Future because (1) it's trivially easy to maintain speed in the first place, (2) the score resets whenever you change rails, (3) most of the stages aren't really built with continual grinds in mind for any reason but quick stage traversal, (4) there are a small number of designated "bonus rails" in most stages that have ridiculous score multipliers, making it pointless to waste time grinding for points anywhere else in the stage, and (4) score doesn't matter in Future outside of optional collectathon challenges, whereas it's much more fundamental in JSR. The stat differences between characters didn't matter as much in Future either.

The player can play JSR long enough so that its rough edges become less rough. He cannot fill Future's sprawling world with interesting content. It's the perfect textbook example of "dumbed-down sequel" and a clear case of turn-of-the-millennium Sega's inability to expand a small but solid arcadey game into something bigger but equally substantial.

Future does have a few highlights, though. The skyscraper area is by far my favorite stage in that game because it's really the only one in the game that puts Future's increased focus on platforming in a really good light. Scaling the center towers for all of the extra graffiti souls is intimidating in a way that really nothing in the first game is. I just wish Future had more of that, especially more that wasn't tucked away in optional post-game challenges that most players would never bother with.

It'd be really cool if we had a game that had JSR's core design, but Future's extra scope and mechanical polish. Oh well.

Have a video of infinite grinds in almost every JSR stage. Anyone ever figure out a good loop for Center Street (that stage where you tag the Love Shockers)?

kess

I tried giving this game another shot recently and I just can't seem to get into it. Presentation, graphics, and sound track are all great but the controls are just too floaty coming from someone who really enjoyed the Tony Hawk games and it just became too frustrating for me to play.

I can't speak for the Steam version, but for the Playstation version I played, the mechanics definitely lost a certain something in the translation from the Dreamcast. JSR was never as precise as THPS but there is something off, however subtle. People could probably start with the ported version and not notice the difference, actually.

The grand ambition is present but something vital is missing from JSRF, as if some weird ennui haunts the game. There are sections of the game that are just dire.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I can't speak for the Steam version, but for the Playstation version I played, the mechanics definitely lost a certain something in the translation from the Dreamcast. JSR was never as precise as THPS but there is something off, however subtle.

If anything, the PSN/XBL versions un-fucked the camera controls a little bit compared to the Dreamcast version. Not completely though.

Krejlooc

Banned
The main problem with JSRF is that it fundamentally changed the nature of the game. JSR's mechanics work because there is a built in element of tension thanks to the increasing police presence. The joy in JSR is pulling off a bunch of independently complex tasks in unison just fast enough so that you stay ahead of fail state element. By segmenting off all police encounters in JSRF, this tension is gone. What you are left with is a lot of well designed individual elements that, in isolation, are sort of boring. Finding places to tag and tagging all of them isn't as fun when you can do it at your leisure with no real constant danger.

It would be like if Pac-Man didn't have the live ghosts on the board, and only after completing the board do you cut away to a short segment where you have to evade a ghost for a few moments. That would dramatically change the game, and that's precisely what JSRF did.

For me, the best moment in JSR, the moment when I everything came together and I decided that I adored the game, came in the level at the construction site near the end. I had daddled and had an insane number of police chasing me. They had actually sent in the tanks and the helicopter which was shooting missiles at me. I remember grinding across a crane, jumping off at the end into the air, hitting a wall and grinding across to get upward, then jumping off again towards the helicopter, and tagging it mid-air. It was phenomenal to do all that together, in sequence, while tons of police were shooting at me, and tanks rolling around, and missiles and explosions going off. Nothing in JSRF ever comes close to that moment.

JSR might have control problems, but it is undoubtedly a better game.

Fandangox

I have yet to play Future (aside from that one time years ago) but I agree with why you said JSR worked. The challenge came from having to manage all the aspects under a time limit. They even had the characters who had more QTEs in the graffiti (and thus take longer with more room for error) gain more points on the tags. It was well done. Can't imagine the same game without the time limit at least. I guess they revamped the levels then?

The Orz

This statement...

Was one of my favourite games on the Dreamcast, grew up playing a pirated copy a friend gave me and loved the hell out of it.

...followed by this statement...

Shame that the series will never continue...

...made me smile, then frown.

In no way does JSRF improve on the mechanics from JSR. In no way does JSRF improve on anything from JSR besides graphics.

Whoa, whoa, hold on there--let's not sell JSRF short. It did, after all, give us Birthday Cake and I Love Love You.

But yeah, JSR was the better game.

"Whoa, whoa, hold on there--let's not sell JSRF short. It did, after all, give us Birthday Cake and I Love Love You."

I mean, JSRF didn't give us those. Cibo Matto and Guitar Vader gave us those. Kudos to Smilebit for putting them in the game, though.

Top Bottom