• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Quake (PC)

Duke 3d and Blood are part of those pinnacles. Hell, I'd go as far to say that Duke 3d edges quake from the single player standpoint and is equal to quake in the multiplayer department.

Build was really the best of what sector based engines had to offer in 1996 to 1998. I use to spend so much of my time playing 4-player Duke match over the phone lines with friends. The multiplayer was a blast. I agree that it was comparable in some ways as far as multiplayer goes. But nothing could really top Quake when it was modded, especially after QuakeWorld was released. I still remember playing a Quake match with modded sniper riffles and the ability to cut off other players limbs with the axe melee weapon. Quake also supported way more players per match, while Duke was only limited to four.

Also id Tech 2 is a full 3D engine, while Duke's Build engine has a lot of limitations. Most could be worked around using tricks, but it didn't have the level of flexibility that the Quake engine does. Just working in real 3D space was a huge bonus, as maps could be so much more vertical than what could have been seen in Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. The modding possibilities felt endless for Quake at the time.

Not that Duke 3D didn't have a bad engine, the Build engine was quite flexible too in some ways. It was quite easy to make maps in Duke 3D an even add mods. Build had a pretty nice scripting engine in it for some interesting map designs. You could do quite a bit with the sector effectors and such.

Crayon

I can't get the music mod to work and I don't know why. Performance now seems borked as well.

What music mod? I use the Quakespasm engine and you just drop the OGG files to ../Quake/id1/MUSIC (for the base game).

Like Accoun says. Yous quakespasm or darkeplaces or something. Everything it better and easier that way.

Everyone try to get the music working!! It's lends significantly to the atmosphere of the game. You might have to fuck around a bit but it's worth it.

mark v includes a software renderer based on winquake. its as vanilla as you can get

not only that, you can run it at 320x200 and scaled internally to your native resolution if you really want to feel like its 1996 again :)
You are a treasure. I wasn't aware of this one, and I last settled on Quakespasm when I did my previous playthrough, but I still had some gripes with it.

robin2

I've been playing Arcane Dimensions and it's honestly great. Better than I expected it to be.
(Only thing I dislike is that shotguns are not hitscan anymore, but than can be easily fixed by inputting "impulse 130" in the console).

Some levels, like The Realm of Enceladus, Leptis Magna or Foggy Bogbottom, could be placed straight into a Dark Souls game and they wouldn't make a bad impression.
Actually the whole thing is similar: the beginning hub is a mashup of dimensions, akin to the IIRC converging dimensions that make up the world of DS3; the atmosphere is similar too: a gloomy, esoteric, medieval-ish place out of space and time.
Maybe a new Quake could go for an interconnected world like that too: levels (each with its own theme) would still be there, just not completely self-contained.

I've been playing Arcane Dimensions and it's honestly great. Better than I expected it to be.
(Only thing I dislike is that shotguns are not hitscan anymore, but than can be easily fixed by inputting "impulse 130" in the console).

Some levels, like The Realm of Enceladus, Leptis Magna or Foggy Bogbottom, could be placed straight into a Dark Souls game and they wouldn't make a bad impression.
Actually the whole thing is similar: the beginning hub is a mashup of dimensions, akin to the IIRC converging dimensions that make up the world of DS3; the atmosphere is similar too: a gloomy, esoteric, medieval-ish place out of space and time.
Maybe a new Quake could go for an interconnected world like that too: levels (each with its own theme) would still be there, just not completely self-contained.

Thanks for this, I just tried a tiny bit of Arcane Dimensions and it looks great.

Top Bottom