• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resistance Burning Skies

Until a few weeks ago I had no idea there was a Resistance game for the PS Vita. I chucked it on my Amazon wishlist and lo and behold, it was mine for my birthday. It's worth stating before I go on and that I love Resistance. It is my favorite FPS franchise of all time, by a very, very long shot.

It was developed by Nihilistic. Honestly, I have no idea who they are or what else they had done, but apparently they are now closed. That's a shame in my opinion, because I thought Burning Skies was brilliant. It took me about six hours to complete the game which admittedly is not long, but it felt appropriate for a Vita title and for the story they were trying to tell.

The story is probably the worst aspect of the title. It's not up to par with the mainline series. However, it is by no means bad. Not at all. It has plenty of information which expands the Resistance universe as a whole and the general premise of the story was interesting. I kept wanting to see what was happening next. Some cutscenes - mainly at the start of a new level - were terrible though. Horrible quality. In-game cutscenes were absolutely fine, though.

So... gameplay. Brilliant. Honestly, so good. The gunplay felt leagues ahead of Killzone Mercenary which I played last month. The number of weapons was great - what you'd expect from Resistance, with some recognizable weapons and some new, all with fun secondary fire modes. Secondary fire modes were controlled by the touch screen - I can see why some might find this annoying but it's not so bad when you get used to it. Upgrading your weapons using gray tech was a good system - being able to choose from 2 sides of 3 upgrades, 1 upgrade from each side. Change your weapons to your play style, sort of thing. The primary shooting for each gun was solid - as I expect from Resistance - and the best part is you get plenty of opportunity to use all the weapons. You aren't absolutely flooded with ammo, meaning you will have to use and experience each weapon. The "tutorial" videos for using weapons were dreadful though. They used about 70% of the screen and were worse quality than if they were filmed by potatos.

Level design was of course linear - to be expected from a Vita game, or from most FPSs in general. However, the environments were pretty gorgeous. I initially thought the graphics were poor during the first level, but they seem to get better. The environments especially later on in the game seem to have much more care and attention. The graphics were quite good throughout and yet the frame rate is solid, even when quite a lot of enemies are on screen (though their corpses disappear straight after death to help with this). I think it tanked once very early on in the game, but the rest seemed smooth sailing. Very consistent, which meant for fun FPS play.

Overall I'm pretty happy I played through the game. It has ~60 on Metacritic. I'd personally give it a 7.5. If you like Resistance 1-3 I see no reason why you wouldn't like this, unless you really despise having to touch the screen. If you don't like Resistance, it probably won't win you over.

Not a bad game for sure. Gunplay is actually quite good. I do wish MP was more populated. If you want another shooter for Vita that play pretty much the same (made by the same developer) get Black Ops. Despite it's horrible reviews it's MP component is really strong aside from strange map design and some bugginess.

BibiMaghoo

It's one of the worst games I have ever played.

I did pay full price for it though, and that may have helped to taint my view of the game, but I see it like this. COD is not great, and yet is vastly superior to BS, using the same engine, from the same developer, that made games so bad it had to change it's name.

The AI is atrocious. The levels are bad. The shooting works well, but the multiplayer is ruined by the bad maps with low player count (which isn't their fault but isn't mitigated at all in design either).

If you enjoyed it, you are fortunate. I was extremely disappointed.

Springy

Both this and Black Ops Declassified are embarrassments for the Vita. I wish both franchises had been given the attention of a skilled developer like Killzone got.

SURGEdude

Both this and Black Ops Declassified are embarrassments for the Vita. I wish both franchises had been given the attention of a skilled developer like Killzone got.

Agreed. Just a fucking terrible game. The only Resistance title I couldn't muster the energy to finish. Bought it at full price and I'm still annoyed.

To think it got a 60 something on meta is nuts. Killzone wipes the floor with this shitfest in every way imaginable.

I picked this up last month when I got my Vita. I love it so far. It's great for gaming on the go. I'm a big fan of the Resistance franchise, although I will probably never get to play the PSP one.

I also enjoyed this a lot, super competent game, good feelings to weapons. I found SP in KZ:M boring compared to this, KZ:M is prettier and more polished.

I also enjoyed this a lot, super competent game, good feelings to weapons. I found SP in KZ:M boring compared to this, KZ:M is prettier and more polished.

Good to see someone else enjoy it (and the poster above). I preferred it Killzone myself myself. Not that KZ was bad, it just wasn't as fun. Less enemy and weapon variety.

Not meaning to sound condescending, but I think maybe your love for the series has blinded you to this game's flaws. It's thoroughly mediocre in almost every regard, from controls (having to use the touch screen is really frigging awkward), level design, story, visuals and pacing. It felt like a half hearted effort by a team who didn't really care about the franchise or its lore. I feel a little insulted on Guerrilla Cambridge's behalf that anyone could really think this is a better game.

On the other hand, it made me appreciate the mainline entries more. Especially Resistance 3.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I wish both CoD and Resistance turned out better, but Hostiles mode in Declassified was excellent. Really gave the game legs for me as I could play that over single player anyday.

Springy

I do think that the touch-screen elements of Burning Skies were neat: aiming grenades and secondary fire modes was really easy and intuitive.

OP, did you try the multiplayer?

I wish both CoD and Resistance turned out better, but Hostiles mode in Declassified was excellent. Really gave the game legs for me as I could play that over single player anyday.

I vaguely remember the enemies in Hostiles being brainless fodder, and the mode itself being a Horde-like mode without co-op. I'll grant you that it was better than the... was it a campaign? Does it even qualify? It was more like a handful of disjointed scenarios.

I suppose I'm really bitter, as I thought a solid CoD would really shift the hardware (as well as giving me a go-to multiplayer game on handheld for a year or two). This thread did make me go back to KZ:M for the first time in over a year tonight: Warzone is still awesome. When did they add a bot match, and why is it paid DLC?

VLiberty

Someone liked Resistance Burning Skies!. that's a first.
I liked it too, but that's because I approached the game knowing what to expect, a 6/10 game.

The campaign was pretty boring at times. The multiplayer was glitchy(or maybe it's just that my connection sucks;most likely a mix of both) but still enjoyable. Unluckily I have the DD version and I usually can't keep the game on my 8gb card if I want to play something on Vita, so I had to delete it after a while. I think I'll get it up again someday

Pinktaco

Those games did IMO mark the time where I realized that Sony didn't give a f*ck. Back then I was super pumped for the Vita and after the E3 showing the CoD game and the following TGS I was super disappointed.

I think we received the Assassin's Creed after CoD, but who really cares? Sony didn't so why should we?

The Vita is a great handheld console, unfortunately the game in question here is super shit. At least it's an easy platinum trophy.

Blinck

Funny that you make this thread, I'm right now playing through the game!

It came with my vita 2 years ago..I played for 20 minutes, uninstalled it, and never looked back..until yesterday.

I just decided to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. It's honestly a very decent FPS, specially for a handheld. The environments so far aren't very interesting, but I'm still early on and as you say they might get better.
I really like the whole invasion vibe of the game...and it controls very well on the vita.

It actually is making me want to pick up Resistance 2 and 3, which I never had the chance to play!

Overall, having quite a good time with it, unexpectedly.

goonergaz

One things for sure, the handheld built with FPS in mind lacks a decent number of FPS games - real shame, loved KZ and only have this and CoD to consider as other options :(

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I vaguely remember the enemies in Hostiles being brainless fodder, and the mode itself being a Horde-like mode without co-op. I'll grant you that it was better than the... was it a campaign? Does it even qualify? It was more like a handful of disjointed scenarios.

Yeah, it was basically a single player horde mode, but I found it to be more fun than any other mode. Enemies weren't the brightest, but they did come for you, and got progressively tougher as you advanced.

lights

I also enjoyed the game. When the game first came out I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer, I put quite a few hours into it.

I do remember the shotgun being quite OP though.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

It came with my vita 2 years ago..I played for 20 minutes, uninstalled it, and never looked back..until yesterday.

I just decided to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. It's honestly a very decent FPS, specially for a handheld. The environments so far aren't very interesting, but I'm still early on and as you say they might get better.
I really like the whole invasion vibe of the game...and it controls very well on the vita.

It actually is making me want to pick up Resistance 2 and 3, which I never had the chance to play!

Resistance 3 is a great game, nay, excellent fps. R2 not so much.

You should definitely pick up 2 and 3.

2 is a bit of a disappointment in comparison to 1, but is by no means a bad game. Some of the over-scripted boss fights are lame though, but I'll say no more so as not to spoil anything. 3 is a phenomenal game, a phenomenal shooter, and highly underrated.

lights

I agree about hostiles. It was nice distraction from multiplayer when I wasn't at home, especially as my Vita doesn't work with my University's eduroam Wi-Fi.

You should definitely pick up 2 and 3.

2 is a bit of a disappointment in comparison to 1, but is by no means a bad game. Some of the over-scripted boss fights are lame though, but I'll say no more so as not to spoil anything. 3 is a phenomenal game, a phenomenal shooter, and highly underrated.

Are you kidding? The overall consensus is that it is a vastly superior game to 2 it wasn't underrated at all it's just that a lot of people have experienced the burnout of the series.

Are you kidding? The overall consensus is that it is a vastly superior game to 2 it wasn't underrated at all it's just that a lot of people have experienced the burnout of the series.

Highly underrated for the world I mean, not GAF users. Average joe doesn't care about R3.

One things for sure, the handheld built with FPS in mind lacks a decent number of FPS games - real shame, loved KZ and only have this and CoD to consider as other options :(

Get Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition. Other than the visuals it has aged really well, the level design is great and it has tons of content. Absolutely tons.

Top Bottom