• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tales of the Abyss

Paranerd

Neo Member
I need to go back to this game eventually. I stopped playing around the time Tales of Graces f was released and didn't look back. I recall leaving off around 20 hours in.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
That makes the game even worse if you have to do something like that.

Not really. I like becoming invested in RPG worlds seeing as they're only really the type of game I play.
It would have been nice to have a in-game dictionary though, but watevs.

Also, how can anybody NOT like Jade? Sheesh.

ubercheez

Some of the voices are so awful. Seriously the best voice actor I've heard so far is the coach driver guy.

Really digging the music, though. I'll stick with it for a while. Battles seem kinda fun.

By the way, Fields of Fonons in battle may seem useless at first, but they can become really versatile later in the game if you experiment with them a little.

How is building up a believable world a bad thing now?

Tales games are believable by giving you a million terms that they rarely explain and do such a bad job of doing so that you have to WRITE IT DOWN because that's the only way to remember it otherwise?

Yes, bad writing. You're not going to get me to buy into a world by giving me a whole bunch of poorly explained terms with really stupid names.

Is this a serious statement? He's awful, at least Luke grows through the game. Jade is a know it all asshole all the way though.
The main story in TOA is good, but the cast is weak, which is a habit in Tales games....except for Vesperia IMO. Tear and Guy are the strongest in TOA, but even then Guy has a bunch of generic JRPG/Anime tropes dragging him down.

Jade is that way he is, because IS the necromancer; nothing assholish about that, imo. It's really nice to have a cast member who actually knows so much shit but at the same time manages to be very rational and cool headed --- you rarely get that combination in JRPGs. Vesperia has Rita who is far more offensive than any cast member in Abyss. Vesperia characters range from bland to horrible. Yuri and Raven are the only decent characters in that cast.

Frillen

Nowhere near as good as Symphonia. It just dragged on for too long, and I think I visited some of the towns in the game 30+ times.

Tellaerin

Tales games are believable by giving you a million terms that they rarely explain and do such a bad job of doing so that you have to WRITE IT DOWN because that's the only way to remember it otherwise?

Yes, bad writing. You're not going to get me to buy into a world by giving me a whole bunch of poorly explained terms with really stupid names.

Everything's explained in the narrative. You just have to pay attention. I know that not everyone wants to invest that sort of effort when they're playing a game, but that doesn't make the writing objectively poor. Sorry it wasn't your thing, though.

I was kind of surprised that the skits didn't have voice overs after playing Vesperia. I just started this game on my lunch break so I'm looking forward to seeing where I stand on this game with all the differing opinions!

Everything's explained in the narrative. You just have to pay attention. I know that not everyone wants to invest that sort of effort when they're playing a game, but that doesn't make the writing objectively poor. Sorry it wasn't your thing, though.

Except the way every Tales game explains their terrible terms IS awful. They half-assly explain it once, in some really lame conversation at the beginning usually, then pile on a bunch of other terms until we start losing all of the other ones. Then they throw them all together, and it just becomes one awful mess.

It does make the writing objectively poor, especially considering, not including the terms themselves, the writing isn't even good to begin with.

oh, just finished this like a couple of hours ago. 40 h playtime.
A very enjoyable game, at least on the 3DS without ridiculous loading times. Battlesystem is addicting as usual, the OST is amazing, as is the art style. The story isn't as grand and convoluted as others, but at least it's something different and I usually wanted to know what happens next. Characters are good for the most part. What do I see here, hating on Jade? No, just no. Dude was absolutely great.
I guess it's too hard on the backtracking, though it gets quick travel at some point at least.

I just couldn't finish this one, it's a solid outing but the plot with enough gibberish terms to leave me bamboozled as to what characters are even on about combined with a central cast of mostly unlikeable fellows wore down my ability to play through the game, I think I was around 26 hours in.
Jade was the only character I really enjoyed, Tear was okay, the rest are varying degrees of bland or horrible. And Ion is just URRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Oh but it plays well enough, the field of fonon thing in battles is kind of lame though, a nice idea but feels too situational. Music is simple "there" with nothing really memorable, anyway i'll speak no more as to avoid any spoilers, i'm making it sound a lot worse than it actually is.

Too much backtracking. Anise sucks.

I got about 6 hours in before realizing that this game was either bad or it just isn't the kind of game I'm interested in anymore or both.

I actually liked how much of an asshole the main character is, especially how he treats the incredibly annoying little blue moogle-wannabe. But his friend who is afraid of woman (surprised his nose didn't bleed at some point), the little girl who is creepily attracted to you, the cute moggle sidekick, the quiet pure young girl mystic, it was all just so cliche.

Also fonons.

Tear is queen badass! I will not have her maligned!

ubercheez

The game doesn't hold back with the terminology, but Fonons are seriously not that complicated. They're just the elemental particles that are the building blocks of life and matter. Think atoms.

Tear is queen badass! I will not have her maligned!

I had assumed he was talking about Ion and was confused about his gender. If he was talking about Tear, I will rise to arms with you.

Tellaerin

Except the way every Tales game explains their terrible terms IS awful. They half-assly explain it once, in some really lame conversation at the beginning usually, then pile on a bunch of other terms until we start losing all of the other ones. Then they throw them all together, and it just becomes one awful mess.

It does make the writing objectively poor, especially considering, not including the terms themselves, the writing isn't even good to begin with.

I didn't have any trouble following the terminology as it was introduced, and I feel stuff like that adds to the atmosphere of a setting. (Though I'll concede that having something like the glossary in the Xenosaga games, where definitions for unique terms would be added automatically as they came up in the game, would be cool. That sort of thing's handy both for people like me who enjoy the lore, and people who are just trying to keep track of it all.)

I also don't think that the writing is particularly poor overall, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Kikujiro

Why people say Luke grows up as a character? He doesn't grow up, he goes from one anime stereotype character to another one just because he decided to do it (and damn if he isn't annoying), there's no character arch. Elementary school writing.

I like luke. He's realistic enough. He gets pampered by family. Treated like shit from his party. So he naturally acts accordingly.

I mean, the lore of the game is retarded, and I'm glad luke acknowledges it.

Bladenic

...you're insane.

Jade is, hands down, one of the best characters in any RPG. Period. Brilliant, witty, and the unrivalled master of deadpan snark. If you don't think Jade is likeable, you have no soul, my friend. NO SOUL.

I'm the insane one? Right.

ubercheez

Why people say Luke grows up as a character? He doesn't grow up, he goes from one anime stereotype character to another one just because he decided to do it (and damn if he isn't annoying), there's no character arch. Elementary school writing.

Just because he decided to do it, huh? There are very obvious and logical reasons for his transformation.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Just because he decided to do it, huh? There are very obvious and logical reasons for his transformation.

Plus it doesn't just happen. Even after he decides to change you can still see hints of his old personality here and there. It does come off as pretty natural.

Dantis

I just couldn't finish this one, it's a solid outing but the plot with enough gibberish terms to leave me bamboozled as to what characters are even on about combined with a central cast of mostly unlikeable fellows wore down my ability to play through the game, I think I was around 26 hours in.
Jade was the only character I really enjoyed, Tear was okay, the rest are varying degrees of bland or horrible. And Ion is just URRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Oh but it plays well enough, the field of fonon thing in battles is kind of lame though, a nice idea but feels too situational. Music is simple "there" with nothing really memorable, anyway i'll speak no more as to avoid any spoilers, i'm making it sound a lot worse than it actually is.

I agree with this post entirely. I even got 26 hours in like you did!

Really didn't see the big deal. I expected a lot more based on the praise it gets.

Mudo

I have never understood the hate for this game. My favorite Tales game of the ones I've played, by far. Some of the characters are annoying but I like where Luke went in the 2nd half, and Jade was perfect. His sarcastic delivery of pretty much everything he says is gold.

Also, I really don't get how people hate the main storyline in this game - especially compared to Tales of Vesperia (and Symphonia really). Those 2, to me, had ultra-cliche stories that bored me to tears. The big plot twist halfway through the game floored me and I loved what they did with it. I have never seen that done in any other game I have ever played (that kind of scenario). Anways, great game - I heartily recommend playing it but realize I'm in a sizeable minority here =)

So I've heard the 3DS version has issues? Does anyone mind telling me what they are/if its bad enough to avoid playing altogether?

Also, does the game give you the option for Japanese VA? Cause I just youtube'd the English and I'm not sure I could bear 60-80 hrs of that.

Blasty

So I've heard the 3DS version has issues? Does anyone mind telling me what they are/if its bad enough to avoid playing altogether?

Also, does the game give you the option for Japanese VA? Cause I just youtube'd the English and I'm not sure I could bear 60-80 hrs of that.

I didn't really notice any issues.

So ive been playing this recently, and I am enjoying it quite a bit, but im wondering how much longer I have left. Ive played 30 hours so far, and im about to (story spoiler:)
talk to the dude whos at War with Lukes Uncle, so that we can lower the lands into the quithoth(sp?)
. Am I semi close to the end? or not even half way? If im not even half way by now, I might never finish this game, haha.

Dantis

I have never understood the hate for this game. My favorite Tales game of the ones I've played, by far. Some of the characters are annoying but I like where Luke went in the 2nd half, and Jade was perfect. His sarcastic delivery of pretty much everything he says is gold.

Also, I really don't get how people hate the main storyline in this game - especially compared to Tales of Vesperia (and Symphonia really). Those 2, to me, had ultra-cliche stories that bored me to tears. The big plot twist halfway through the game floored me and I loved what they did with it. I have never seen that done in any other game I have ever played (that kind of scenario). Anways, great game - I heartily recommend playing it but realize I'm in a sizeable minority here =)

Remind me what the plot twist is again? I'm fairly sure it didn't floor me.

And Luke's transition was too abrupt for my liking. And Tear's reaction to cute things was agonising. Jade was the only likable character to me, and he was a gigantic cliche.

It's clearly the superior version. I can't think of anything wrong with this port.

The graphics are worse, as I recall.

ubercheez

So ive been playing this recently, and I am enjoying it quite a bit, but im wondering how much longer I have left. Ive played 30 hours so far, and im about to (story spoiler:)
talk to the dude whos at War with Lukes Uncle, so that we can lower the lands into the quithoth(sp?)
. Am I semi close to the end? or not even half way? If im not even half way by now, I might never finish this game, haha.

You're a little over halfway, if I recall correctly.

Mudo

Remind me what the plot twist is again? I'm fairly sure it didn't floor me.

And Luke's transition was too abrupt for my liking. And Tear's reaction to cute things was agonising. Jade was the only likable character to me, and he was a gigantic cliche.

The graphics are worse, as I recall.

When you realize the world is being held up by pillars and that they are starting to be collapsed and fall to the Qliphoth(sp?) so the world is slowly falling into itself.
At least I thought that was neat, weird and never done before that I had seen!

Dantis

When you realize the world is being held up by pillars and that they are starting to be collapsed and fall to the Qliphoth(sp?) so the world is slowly falling into itself.
At least I thought that was neat, weird and never done before that I had seen!

Well, I agree that it's never been done before that I can think of. But is that a twist? It seems more like a plot point. I guess the way it's happening (
As I recall, it's because of something Luke does?
is a twist, but that's much more of a common twist.

I played this on 3DS when it came out in February:

-I liked Tear and Jade, not really anyone else
-This was the first have in years where I literally laughed out loud while playing, and yes I played Portal 2
-I hate love sub plots that don't resolve until literally the last moment
-I beat this game and I still don't understand most of the gameplay systems
-The story does that Okami thing where they included the sequel

Mudo

Eh I don't know what it technically is called but I remember being surprised and thought it was a unique/cool concept that the game basically ran with from that point on.

On a mostly unrelated note, I bought Graces when it released but haven't played it yet. I wonder how it will compare to this, for me.

True story: I picked this up on 3DS because I thought it was Tales of Legendia, and it took me about an hour into the game to realize the horrible mistake I had made. <3 Legendia... Dat music.

sonitii

Been a few years since I played this, but I remember thinking that I had beat the game about half-way through because it felt like a climax after beating a certain boss, only to have the game continue on for another 20+ hours.

MechaX

The backtracking gets out of control, Anise is lame, and Luke's development makes him unlikeable for many different reasons across the game until the last 10 or so hours of the game, but I still liked Abyss a lot.

Hell, I liked it better than any Non-Vesperia Tales game released so far.

The terminology is an annoying hurdle for sure. At the start of the game they just start talking about the religion, the countries and their rulers like you should already be up to speed with it all.
Little names and things skip by and become much more important later, which is annoying. Symphonia did that way too much too.

Um lol? Did you not bother to look at the box?

Of course I saw the name, but in my head I was still thinking it was Legendia. Yah I know. Like when I was little and thought I had finally found a copy of Guardian Heroes on the Saturn, but what I brought home was Blazing Dragons. Total disappoint.

Been on a nice little Tales run this year (Abyss, DOTNW, Graces f) and really enjoyed this game. Played 80 hours and did pretty much everything you can do in one playthrough. Jade was my favorite character (Anise my least favorite), didn't mind post-haircut Luke, followed along with the story just fine. Would agree that the game felt a bit too long or just poorly paced. Don't really like it when games feel like they "end" three times.

FWIW I'd rank those three games like:
Gameplay: Graces f > Abyss > DOTNW
Story & Cast: Abyss > Graces f >>>>>> DOTNW

Nope, I didn't like DOTNW much at all.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is one of the great Tales games. It's definitely up there with Symphonia.

Luke is downright horrible in the beginning, yes. He gets better, though - obviously.

Top Bottom