• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tales of the Abyss

Bladenic

Been on a nice little Tales run this year (Abyss, DOTNW, Graces f) and really enjoyed this game. Played 80 hours and did pretty much everything you can do in one playthrough. Jade was my favorite character (Anise my least favorite), didn't mind post-haircut Luke, followed along with the story just fine. Would agree that the game felt a bit too long or just poorly paced. Don't really like it when games feel like they "end" three times.

FWIW I'd rank those three games like:
Gameplay: Graces f > Abyss > DOTNW
Story & Cast: Abyss > Graces f >>>>>> DOTNW

Nope, I didn't like DOTNW much at all.

Play Vesperia.

Iceblade

I really enjoyed Symphonia and Vesperia, but Abyss just bored me halfway through. To find out that it was MUCH longer than I thought it was going to be just hit the nail in the coffin--I usually like to finish every game I play, but I really couldn't be bothered here. Too much bactracking/stuffing around with the story and overall fluff. It was clear to me that Abyss didn't care about making much good use of the finite resource that is a player's time.

Yes it is. Musically, gameplay wise, story, characters. Just everything was essentially a step down from Symphonia/Abyss outside of visuals. Both of those games also introduced great new systems/mechanics as well, but Vesperia didn't really bring anything truly new and exciting.

Disagree. It's prettier and mildly more interesting that Abyss. It also doesn't suffer from possibly the least likable party in RPG history. :/

Well, I liked Abyss' cast a lot more than Vesperia's. Different strokes for different folks :p

Also it may be prettier but Abyss' world design was a lot more interesting to me.

blixa

Banned
I dunno, maybe I'd be better off playing something else. I mostly bought this because everyone was telling me that it was limited and would be hard to find in the future. I still see it new in stores everywhere.

So I guess a different question: play ToA or play Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light?

keep playing abyss. it's great, like all tales games.

pkKvH.jpg

raven777

I personally feel the only thing Vesperia was better than Abyss was the graphics and battle system.

Personally Vesperia's story and cast is no match against the abyss.

Bladenic

Nope, it's the worst of the the big three Team Symphonia games.

I respect opinions... but this... my God.

Actually I should just stop posting in this thread. I strongly dislike Abyss for basically everything outside of the battles and the battle themes. I especially hate the cast and story, so whenever I see people in here say it has the best of both.... I just can't.

The only good things about Abyss were Jade, Tear, and Guy. Everyone else was awful--especially that little shit stain known as Anise. The music was not interesting and, ultimately, a total disappointment (though if someone could link me to all the battle themes, I'd appreciate it. I don't recall any and would like to be possibly schooled). The load times were awful and plentiful. It has the worst protagonist I've encountered (Yuri Lowenthall's voice doesn't help his case) and any sort of redemption he "achieved" was overridden with a strong dislike from me.

Despite all this, it's Tales, and I had fun with battles. I just wish the music were a bit more interesting to make them even better.

The story was interesting, at least. It just had some terrible main characters.

Symphonia and Vesperia are definitely the better games.

fates

I liked it but the story just did not interest me at all.

My favorite of the franchise is Phantasia, though.

Best cast in the series by far, including enemies. Also, outstanding voice acting.

Luke is the only thing holding the cast back.

Yeah shame he is the main character.

Abyss has always been that one jrpg that I hated from start to finish, continuing to play it only because of the ever constant tease that it somehow "gets good". It never does.

Having said that, times were different then. I played it in the golden age and could afford to sniff my nose at a jrpg. It's probably pretty awesome by comparison now.

I respect opinions... but this... my God.

Actually I should just stop posting in this thread. I strongly dislike Abyss for basically everything outside of the battles and the battle themes. I especially hate the cast and story, so whenever I see people in here say it has the best of both.... I just can't.

Well, I also have pretty strong reasons for considering Vesperia the worst, so :p I honestly dislike the cast about as much as you seem to dislike Abyss' cast/story too. Likewise, I thought the battles in Vesperia were still fun (though definitely a step down from Symphonia/Abyss IMO since it lacked new enemy varieties and/or new interesting sub-systems, plus a lot of the characters aren't as fun to control).

Tales threads are 99% characters 1% mechanics. Worse than Final Fantasy...

I could go for DAYS about how good running point with Guy having Jade rain pain in the background for FoF Frigid Moon Goodness, but it's been a while and I've forgotten everything else. Don't worry, I ain't one of those fans.

Bladenic

Well, I also have pretty strong reasons for considering Vesperia the worst, so :p I honestly dislike the cast about as much as you seem to dislike Abyss' cast/story too. Likewise, I thought the battles in Vesperia were still fun (though definitely a step down from Symphonia/Abyss IMO since it lacked new enemy varieties and/or new interesting sub-systems, plus a lot of the characters aren't as fun to control).

Hehe, each his own. :)

I like you.

Likewise.

Anise ain't that bad.

I can't.

3eWmm.gif

ubercheez

The music was not interesting and, ultimately, a total disappointment (though if someone could link me to all the battle themes, I'd appreciate it. I don't recall any and would like to be possibly schooled).

I love the music from this game, especially the battle themes, so here goes.

Battle theme #1: The Arrow was Shot
Battle theme #2: The Edge of a Decision

There are quite a lot of boss themes. A couple nice examples are Awkward Justice and Meaning of Birth, although my favorite song in the entire game is the final boss theme,
Finish the Promise. The way it builds up with the piano, followed by the arranged version of the Grand Fonic Hymn at 1:15. Hell yeah.

Son1x

Enjoy while you can.

I never could fully enjoy any Tales battles system after Abyss. Sure it feels "rough" compared to Vesperia and other newer Tales titles but I just love those damn FoF changes so much. Basically made the game for me. It was especially awesome coz I played it with a friend.

Also, I like the whole cast minus Luke. Jade being the best of course.

I love the music from this game, especially the battle themes, so here goes.

Battle theme #1: The Arrow was Shot
Battle theme #2: The Edge of a Decision

There are quite a lot of boss themes. A couple nice examples are Awkward Justice and Meaning of Birth, although my favorite song in the entire game is the final boss theme,
Finish the Promise. The way it builds up with the piano, followed by the arranged version of the Grand Fonic Hymn at 1:15. Hell yeah.
Thanks. I just finished listening to them all. Awkward Justice was definitely my favorite.

What are the other boss themes? I would love to hear them, too--if you don't mind, of course.

The Adder

Banned
Just started this (3DS version) for the first time, and have played for about two hours. Liking it except for one thing (well two if you count the poor quality 3D) - the main character. Does he remain so unlikable? So whiny and it really takes me out of being in control of him, if that makes sense. Biggest reason why I prefer silent protagonists most of the time.

Also this is my first time playing a Tales game other than like an hour of Tales of Phantasia on GBA. Is Abyss considered a good Tales game, or are there better ones? Would I be better off playing ToP on GBA?

Last question: about how long should I expect the game to last?

Hated literally everyone in this game by the time I finished
Akzeriuth

Vesperia and Symphonia are, IMO, the 2 best Tales games.

FSLink

Banned
Thanks. I just finished listening to them all. Awkward Justice was definitely my favorite.

What are the other boss themes? I would love to hear them, too--if you don't mind, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DasKfnqF3qM

Best one. (Cameo Battle)

Also best cameo battle in the series and I've beaten most of the games (including the Japanese ones)

As far as "Team Symphonia" style games go
Vesperia PS3 > Xillia (Yeah I know it's not technically TS but it plays like one) > Vesperia 360 > Symphonia GC > Abyss 3DS or PS2 > Symphonia PS2

Best in the series? Gameplay wise: Tales of Graces f or Vesperia PS3, overall package: Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (PS2)

If I was new to the series, Symphonia or Vesperia is probably the best way to go. Then maybe Phantasia afterwords (ESPECIALLY after playing Symphonia) on Super Famicom or PS1. Don't play the GBA version, it's a horrid port and the English one has a terrible translation...but if you're okay with older RPGs.

You'd really only appreciate the improvements in Abyss if you played that right after Symphonia. And to some people the characters/story isn't as good.

I know naturally I should have been creeped out by Anise. But I really didn't mind her. Thought she was a fun addition even. (But I can certainly live without such characters in my future games, lol it can just as easily go wrong)

theta11

Didn't really gel with the characters in the game. Main character was actually too annoying and that's the first time thats happened to me in a game. I normally could overlook bad characters but this time it was a bit too much.

mclem

I liked TotA enough to beat it twice. Luke is definitely annoying, but imo he gets better as the game goes on, but he doesn't go down as one of the great video game protagonists by any means.

The game also goes on a bit too long. You will reach a point in the game where you think you've just beaten the final boss....but you will actually only be halfway through.

Both Tales game I've played through have had that 'fake-out final boss halfway through the game' thing going on - is it normal for the series?

This made me realise that I actually hate Tales games.
The all-too-easily-missed 'hidden' side quests and skits are ridiculous.
Completely ruins my enjoyment of the game when I find out I've missed out on a weapon because I didn't click on a particular cat in the market or something.

FSLink

Banned
Both Tales game I've played through have had that 'fake-out final boss halfway through the game' thing going on - is it normal for the series?

Kind of.
Mostly the "Team Symphonia" -esque games do this for whatever reason.
So Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia. I think Destiny also did it as well (it's been awhile since I've got to the end) but it seemed a bit more natural in that game to me.

Completely ruins my enjoyment of the game when I find out I've missed out on a weapon because I didn't click on a particular cat in the market or something.

Graces f doesn't really have this problem, maybe like two missable things in the entire game?

CronoShot

Possibly my favorite Tales game.

Yeah, Luke starts off being a jerk (hell everyone is kind of a jerk other than Guy), but he's supposed to be like that. And looking at this thread, I'm apparently one of the very few who likes his transformation, even if it is rather abrupt.

Story and lore were crap (fononsfononsfonons), but that's really my only complaint with the game.

Roto13

Just started this (3DS version) for the first time, and have played for about two hours. Liking it except for one thing (well two if you count the poor quality 3D) - the main character. Does he remain so unlikable? So whiny and it really takes me out of being in control of him, if that makes sense. Biggest reason why I prefer silent protagonists most of the time.

Also this is my first time playing a Tales game other than like an hour of Tales of Phantasia on GBA. Is Abyss considered a good Tales game, or are there better ones? Would I be better off playing ToP on GBA?

Last question: about how long should I expect the game to last?

Luke is only an asshole now so he can do a complete 180 later because JRPGs. Abyss is a very good Tales game. Like most Tales games, it has no idea when to be over and by the time you're like "Well I guess this is the end of the game. I liked it a lot," you're actually only like half done.

I like the game but it has a few flaws. Like the endless backtracking. Ugh. You spend a long time kind of feeling like a messenger. "Hey, let's go talk to every world leader five times to set up a meeting or whatever." The game would have been better without a world map.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World was vastly superior to Abyss, IMO.

Ha ha ha ha ha, oh, my, no. No no no. No.

True story: I picked this up on 3DS because I thought it was Tales of Legendia, and it took me about an hour into the game to realize the horrible mistake I had made. <3 Legendia... Dat music.

Legendia is the second worst game ever made after Dawn of the New World. But yeah, it has basically the greatest soundtrack of all time. Side note: Hyperbole is the greatest invention and I use it literally all the time.

I really enjoyed Symphonia and Vesperia, but Abyss just bored me halfway through. To find out that it was MUCH longer than I thought it was going to be just hit the nail in the coffin--I usually like to finish every game I play, but I really couldn't be bothered here. Too much bactracking/stuffing around with the story and overall fluff. It was clear to me that Abyss didn't care about making much good use of the finite resource that is a player's time.

I honestly wouldn't blame anyone for just stopping when
you beat Van
and saying "Well that's the ending."

This made me realise that I actually hate Tales games.

I only think that there should be a way of properly keeping track of them if you actually activated one.
Otherwise I like that you can go back to some random town and maybe randomly find some new costumes and shid.

Roto13

I only think that there should be a way of properly keeping track of them if you actually activated one.
Otherwise I like that you can go back to some random town and maybe randomly find some new costumes and shid.

There's one sidequest I couldn't do because I started it and I had to go to one town, but the next plot point was in another town, and it asked me if I wanted to quick travel to town B so I said yes and that locked out the sidequest.

The window to do that step in the sidequest is so narrow that if you don't immediately go to the world map and hop on your airship, you miss it. So bullshit.

It wasn't for anything important, though.

Datschge

Considering the first Tales game, Phantasia, already did this and more entries do some form of it than not, it's pretty much a series' trait, yeah.

Necrovex

I grow to like Luke a lot more after a major certain plot point occurs.

Jade is still one of my favorite characters in the series.... Hell, in any RPG.

Necrovex

Yes it is. Musically, gameplay wise, story, characters. Just everything was essentially a step down from Symphonia/Abyss outside of visuals. Both of those games also introduced great new systems/mechanics as well, but Vesperia didn't really bring anything truly new and exciting.

The last act of Vesperia wasn't great, I can't remember if i liked it enough to even call it "good." Vespira would have been wonderful if it ended on the second arc.

Top Bottom