• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The greatest single player FPS of the last several years: Wolfenstein: TNO

This game is my beacon of light in a post aim down sights world. This game is a throwback to the glory days of first person shooters, where your bullets went wherever you aimed your cross hairs. Where you can carry all your weapons at once (and the strategic options that gives you somehow feels like an innovation despite having once been the norm). Where you get a little health regen but mostly have to rely on med and armor packs.

Really, this might be my favorite game of the last few years. I can't rave about it enough. DLC? Nowhere in sight. Lots of little extras and easter eggs? You betcha. I've been trying not to spoil myself but I've noticed two branching paths. I've spent a few hours on the game already and it looks like I'm not even close to halfway done, especially if the game differs wildly depending on the choice you make at the beginning of the game. I feel like I got my moneys worth already, having bought it for $18 during the thanksgiving sale on GMG. Playing on PC.

Nitpicks: What's with the limited/nonexistent anti-aliasing options? I know you can tweak the games config file to enable multisampling but it makes a huge hit on performance and doesn't seem to do much at all.

I really enjoy the main character and the general concept the game is built around, still I find the jumping from one setting to the next rather jarring. The cut-scenes and dialog that does exist seems like a flimsy set-up for you to go fuck shit up. While I find this sort of brevity to be a breath of fresh air in an era where games drone on and on with hours of self important bullshit, thus far I feel it would be nice for them to expand a little more deeply on this interesting and horrifying world they've created. Love the little bits of newspaper and lore scattered around. One of the few games where I want to read every last little scrap of paper I find.

Enemy variety. The enemies in this game are great. Nazi's are always fun to kill, cyber armor dogs and giant nazi robots are very nerve racking on the high difficulty I've got the game set to. Still, a bit more variety would be nice. So far I've only encountered about three to four different nazi types. Armored nazi, non-armored nazi, really heavy armored nazi, and nazi that can call for reinforcements. It would be cool to have some more interesting nazi types. Flamethrower nazi? Ninja nazi? Nazi commando? I don't know.

Performance on PC is fantastic with an Nvidia card. My understanding is that the console versions have dynamic resolution in order to maintain 60FPS on both PS4 and XBone. I think this is commendable as I'm one of those gamers who believes 60FPS in a game like this should be strives for above all else. Graphics are very good but some of the textures are meh and I feel the PC graphics were stifled by the fact that the game was designed to be multiplatform.

If you've been like me, bitching about the current state of affairs w/ regards to FPS developer/publisher whores selling you incomplete games with bullshit COD design mechanics you need to put your money where your mouth is. Buy the shit out of this game and tell all your friends to do the same. I don't know how well this game sold but I don't see many people talking about it. I want to show the industry that this kind of game can still find an audience. If you've any doubts, know that many people have compared this game to Half Life 2 and while I can't say I necessarily see the correlation, I can say it's one of the funnest single player campaigns in a first person shooter I've experienced since Half Life 2 Episode 2. This really isn't the kind of game you see that often anymore.

Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it.

Yes!

It only gets better the further you go in. Especially to detail the world and characters. I'm guessing you haven't come up on the audio diaries yet which do a crazy reveal for one of the main characters. The enemy variety doesn't go that much higher but it doesn't get stale because of the varied encounters. The two timelines make for really good character relations and since you can do both simultaneously, you can keep on getting health or armour upgrades.

Yes!

It only gets better the further you go in. Especially to detail the world and characters. I'm guessing you haven't come up on the audio diaries yet which do a crazy reveal for one of the main characters. The enemy variety doesn't go that much higher but it doesn't get stale because of the varied encounters. The two timelines make for really good character relations and since you can do both simultaneously, you can keep on getting health or armour upgrades.

What about weapons? I just got the upgraded laser weapon thing. I just finished the mission where you get the helicopters. Is that all she wrote for weapons or are there some more surprises? I really enjoy the weapons in the game. Killing things is good fun.

What about weapons? I just got the upgraded laser weapon thing. I just finished the mission where you get the helicopters. Is that all she wrote for weapons or are there some more surprises? I really enjoy the weapons in the game. Killing things is good fun.
There is more. I'm guessing your laserkraftwerk can kill enemies now, right? Can it pop them in a charged blast? Later on, your assault rifle can have a rocket launcher mod. Have you got the automatic shotgun and the sniper rifle? Shotgun can turn shrapnel which is godlike for multiple enemies and the bigger dudes. Sniper rifle gets modified to be a laser one later.

ibcprh3GEbaFuK.gif

ierHFVTmwAkon.gif

iORuUZxDjKZvk.gif

pswii60

The game was fantastic. It was everything I used to like about FPS games. It's a damn shame it didn't review better, severely underrated.

The game was fantastic. It was everything I used to like about FPS games. It's a damn shame it didn't review better, severely underrated.

Gaming media knows dick. This game is amazing. I was going to say many of the same things about Shadow Warrior but then the game got kinda stale. Still a great game.

This on the other hand, is like an ambassador from the past. This is the sort of game I wish could shift the balance back in favor of older school first person shooters. I really can't express how much I hate the modern FPS standard of not allowing your shots any accuracy unless you aim down your fucking iron sights. It's the worst thing in gaming.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That game was fucking rad. So satisfying to unlock the perks. They genuinely taught me to play the game better in more interesting ways.

It's almost like the game was well-designed or something.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I highly preferred the last Wolfenstein game, but I did really enjoy this one as well. Maybe a bit too cutscene heavy for my tastes. However, the lack of regenerating health was such a welcome addition that I really hope it makes a comeback.

Yopis

Game is great playing now for the first time also. Feels like a shooter made before COD infected everything its sublime.

I honestly could not get into this game.

I think it was because i spent most of my time scrounging around for ammo. Dual wielding was awesome but I would only be able to do it for like ten seconds before having to run around and press x a thousand times.

Looked great on PC though.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
especially if the game differs wildly depending on the choice you make at the beginning of the game

It doesn't. Still a great game though.

Its a good game, but its the most painfully overrated game of the last several years. People gush over this game on GAF and I just don't get it.

Yeah its a quality FPS, but its not that good.

AJ_Wings

Great game but replaying it recently made me realize at how irritating it is that you have to look at items and press use to pick them up instead of simply walking over them. Considering the intensity of the encounters at the end of the game where you really don't have time to look away from your enemies, I would've much preferred if they gave you both the option to walk over item pick ups and the "look & pick up").

Still, really looking forward to what Machinegames cooking up next.

Delt31

Sorry but this game was not great. It was good at best. Pacing alone killed it for me. I know GAF loves to hype but please not for this game. If you find it for 20 sure but I wouldn't pay a penny more

Dyno

There were some real high points but I really grew to hate some aspects of the game. Charging your electric weapons up was tedious. They ran out of charge quickly and so you were always stuck sucking watts out of a wall fixture.

I also recall some of the gadgets being hard to access. It was tough to get all of the commands on the controller.. but my memory is a bit hazy. The story was touching and it's a game I can see playing again.

AJ_Wings said:
Great game but replaying it recently made me realize at how irritating it is that you have to look at items and press use to pick them up instead of simply walking over them.

Yeah that was indeed annoying.

Great-God

Banned
Yeah, great, fun game. You still have ahead some fun and intense levels, impressive sights and hilarious mayhem. In high difficulties this game is a joy, and the weapons are best. The story was actually enjoyable for me.

ViviOggi

It was made by Starbreeze after all.

Sorry but this game was not great. It was good at best. Pacing alone killed it for me. I know GAF loves to hype but please not for this game. If you find it for 20 sure but I wouldn't pay a penny more
Well pack it up folks

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Had a great time with Wolfenstein. Probably the best single player shooter campaign I've played since Resistance 3.

Only part I disliked was the beginning.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
Really, really enjoyed this game a lot. Played it on PC, though I felt there were some instances that you could tell it was obviously designed on a controller/for consoles. The opening start is a bit slow, but man, once it gets going...

So refreshing to have an FPS with a plot and good characters.

Wolfenstein was great. The U-Boat, Gibraltar Bridge and
the Moon
are a terrific sequence of levels. It has some wonderful music from Mick Gordon as well. Once I finished the campaign, I almost immediately started a second playthrough, which is not something I've done since the original Crysis, probably.

Sorry but this game was not great. It was good at best. Pacing alone killed it for me.

rAjb.gif

The pacing in Wolfenstein is immaculate and one of the game's greatest strengths. I love the ebb and flow between the action and story sequences - the game always knows when to ratchet up the action, and when to give the player a breather.

Daffy Duck

I have got this in my back catalogue to play, I really should make time to get it done, I always hear good things about it.

Dilly

Banned

Oh, okay then.

Shut it down, GAF.

It was ok, definitely not the best to me at least.

The feel of the guns was great, but I felt like it just dragged on and on. Quite a few missions were fairly boring.

zer0das

Banned
I thought it was pretty good, but two things annoyed me. I hate how every now and then you lose like 90% of the weapons you're carrying, because they tend to put you into a really difficult situation shortly after. It also felt like it was on rails after a while (yes there are vents and things, but there's almost never an alternative route of actual substance). The game rarely lets you go more than a few minutes without something scripted happening, which I found a bit overbearing after a while.

Watevaman

It was ok. I was expecting way too much from the GAF hype that led to me buying it. What I got was a solid shooter, but by the end I was hoping to just be done with it. The shooting was solid, nothing more. The guns didn't stand out as anything special to me and the actual battle mechanics were nothing to be amazed at. The story was nice, albeit predictable and I enjoyed the little hub stuff in between missions. Visuals were ok, but the megatexture stuff really brought it down in a lot of places. The sound was pretty bad, nothing felt like it had any punch behind it to me.

I don't know, it was ok, but I would've been pretty sore if I bought it at full price.

jimboton

It's good but the hyperbole surrounding it is something else. Previous Wolfenstein was a little bit better. Singularity was a LOT better. You don't even want to know how much better was Riddick.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I adored it at the time (and even Platinumed it) but it has faded a bit for me. It's still a good game though. The things it gets right, it gets very right (the story, the shotguns, some of the set pieces). It was refreshing to see such an unpretentious game.

Top Bottom