• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The greatest single player FPS of the last several years: Wolfenstein: TNO

I'm liking the game but these 2 stealth chapters where you only have a knife were questionable at best.

Conga line slow walking Nazis with sticks that you can just plow through on Uber difficulty by mashing the melee button is not good design.

Game is inconsistent in terms of quality but when it's good it's very good. Still pretty early I would imagine so hopefully this is just a bad section of the game and it picks up afterwards.

My biggest criticism of the game. Too often it takes away your weapons for stealth that really isn't that good at all or those stupid ass fetch quests. And way too many cutscenes. It's a great game compared to most modern shooters, but too many problems to stack up against the classics it's compared to.

Sillverrr

In theory this should be everything I like: narrative-driven game; cinematic, linear campaign for when your brain can't be arsed to process open-world sandbox... yet I just found it boring and derivative as hell.

Maybe it's because I lack a history with the franchise, and so couldn't care less about the protagonist. There's certainly nothing offensive about the basic gameplay - it's exactly the same as countless other shooters I could reference, if that's what you're after.

Whilst I applaud their effort to have a story-driven single-player fps, unless you can deliver the same depth as the Bioshock franchise or Fallout 3/New Vegas, don't bother is my attitude.

Of course, I should qualify my comments by stating that since playing FPS/RPG hybrids, straight-up FPS games just don't do it for me any more.

todahawk

Been thinking about starting my uber run but there were a few sticky spots on my last playthrough and based on the posts on here I'm rightfully concerned. :/

ryseing

I tried to like it. I really did. But I got bored by the time of the
moon level

Pacing issues out the wazoo. Levels were way too long. The hub was a good idea in concept but poor in execution.

I dunno. Just didn't seem to click for me like it did everyone else.

Amir0x

Banned
1981 Castle Wolfenstein
1984 Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
1992 Wolfenstein 3d/Spear of Destiny
2001 Return to Castle Wolfenstein
2003 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
2009 Wolfenstein
2014 Wolfenstein: The New Order

I feel like people are always shocked when a Wolfenstein game is good, like it is a series that has been run into the ground like Tony Hawk or something. 7 games in 33 years, none of them bad, a few outright classics. Wolfenstein deserves more respect.

I would definitely not agree with the classification that all of those are good, especially 2009 and 1992 Wolfenstein.

THAT SAID, my issue is not surprise that this is good. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is, full stop, the greatest multiplayer FPS of all time. It is the epitome of the pure, skill vs. skill FPS that monopolized my gaming time when I was growing up. There has never been a FPS to this day that is as well balanced and skill based, in my estimation, than RTCW. It excels in every regard: gunplay, map design, gametypes (Enemy Territory is also one of the best free expansions ever), etc.

So, my problem is that when I play new Wolfenstein games that lack the astonishing multiplayer mode of RTCW, I just get depressed because it reminds me of how much we've lost thanks to modern FPSers :(

It's not really the fault of the series!

Amir0x

Banned
I wish I could play it, but it runs like shit on AMD cards on PC :(

*screeech*

Wait, does it? I have a very powerful PC, but it's an AMD focused PC.

Maybe I won't buy it tonight then. That's not good at all. And I'm not buying it on a console, so.

mcz117chief

The first level is great (outstanding I would say), everything after that is just boring. I kept playing the game in hopes that there would be as good a level as the first one...I gave up at the Gibraltar bridge.

There are dozens of greater single player experiences during the last few years, even in 2014 alone there are a dozen or so of em.

I liked Shadow Warrior more

I agree. It is a million times better in every respect

pa22word

Really didn't like this one at all. Nothing coheisive at all about the gameplay, so it felt like being trapped in a tornado and being pinged off three different, completely antithetical gameplay philosophies thrown together in the sake of not offending anyone or a lack of a singular cohesive vision driving the game. Either way, the game had no idea what the fuck it wanted to be, and neither did I, so I eventually got tired of trudging through it after 6 hours and uninstalled it.

Massive waste of time and money on my part. Go back to riddick, MachineGames, it's what you wanted to make with this one anyways, and you won't have to shoehorn in two completely different styles of heavy action gameplay that compromises the stealth so the Board of Directors(TM) doesn't shit in your cheerios.

Honestly, compared to RtcW, ET, or W3D, this game is basically the Thief 4 of the Wolfenstein series. It's just that no one notices because of the production values and actually-somewhat-well-done story.

Oh, but I will say that the soundtrack utterly kicked ass. Score one for the production there.

The first level is great (outstanding I would say), everything after that is just boring. I kept playing the game in hopes that there would be as good a level as the first one...I gave up at the Gibraltar bridge.

There are dozens of greater single player experiences during the last few years, even in 2014 alone there are a dozen or so of em.

I agree. It is a million times better in every respect

Whoa whoa. You're stating the universally hated first level is great, and the universally loved rest of the game is boring?

Are you standing on your head?

The Far Cry games were more enjoyable, the stealth was easy as well, but even those enemies were less brain dead thanTNO's. Bland set-pieces, drab environments and low weapon variety made this one of the more disappointing games I rented listening to the hype on here.

And what a coincidence 117chief, the Gibraltar Bridge is where I tapped out and couldn't care to play anymore as well.

MattyG

Banned
This game completely caught me by surprise, and it's absolutely at the top of my GOTY list. I love everything about this game, from the imaginative alternate WWII setting, to the characters, to the satisfying shooter mechanics and the believeable love story, and even the marketing campaign. One of my favorite games of the last few years, period, and I really hope Machine Games gets a chance to do another one.

Also, it has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a while, especially these two songs (the latter of which really caught me off guard and almost made me tear up during the credits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b2XhfFMphQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khdWnlgHdag

NEO0MJ

?

It runs fine on Radeons.
http://i.picpar.com/3NL.jpg
http://i.picpar.com/0NL.jpg

And these benchmarks are from the launch of the game. I have several friends how have full AMD configurations and they did not have any problems.

For some reason it runs terrible on my laptop, no matter how much I lower the settings. I had no problems running games such as Metro Last Light (1080P medium setting at 60 FPS), Crysis 2 (900p High settings at 60 FPS) and The Evil Within (900P with medium setting at 30 FPS) so this is strange.

So it runs fine or not? Is there any widespread reporting on major issues with AMD computers?

I won't play it on consoles, variable resolution and I avoid playing FPS on consoles unless there's no alternatives.

Check the benchmarks and see how well your cards runs it. High end AMD cards seem capable of powering through but the mid range ones can't hit 60 FPS.

AEREC

This game didnt do anything for me at all...shooting elements were nothing to write home about and picking up ammo was annoying as hell. The story was awkwardly pieced together and had some serious transition (from cutscene to cutscene) issues.

StevieP

Banned
Runs fine on all of my amd cards. I just had to drop one of those more esoteric settings by 1 notch. Game itself was the best FPS since hl2 IMO. People laughably bringing bio shock as an example of depth make me lol. It wasn't perfect but it was well done enough to make me go for both playthroughs

Amir0x

Banned
welp I wish I didn't get Wolfenstein, this is the only game I've played on my card ever that I have no clue what the problem is, it runs at like 2fps at all times and is a stuttery mess. Even from all benchmark sites given my system I should easily be getting 60fps, I'm not even getting 10.

Everything is also wrong with the visuals. Texture pop in also is insane (like every time I move my head there is a 1 second lag on when textures load in properly), audio lag is so atrocious everything looks and sounds like it's going in slow motion.

I know the game doesn't run this bad and certainly shouldn't be running this bad given the benchmarks other AMD systems at my power level have got, but I have to throw in the towel here on trying to play this game since it's essentially unplayable for me on PC :(

welp I wish I didn't get Wolfenstein, this is the only game I've played on my card ever that I have no clue what the problem is, it runs at like 2fps at all times and is a stuttery mess. Even from all benchmark sites given my system I should easily be getting 60fps, I'm not even getting 10.

Everything is also wrong with the visuals. Texture pop in also is insane (like every time I move my head there is a 1 second lag on when textures load in properly), audio lag is so atrocious everything looks and sounds like it's going in slow motion.

I know the game doesn't run this bad and certainly shouldn't be running this bad given the benchmarks other AMD systems at my power level have got, but I have to throw in the towel here on trying to play this game since it's essentially unplayable for me on PC :(

I'm sorry :[

Top Bottom