• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The greatest single player FPS of the last several years: Wolfenstein: TNO

I loved Wolfenstein! It is currently number two on my GotY list.

I got goosebumps when
i heard the Jimi Hendrix anthem

There is just so many little details that were cool, from the "nightmare" to the alternate pop fiction posters. The weapons were all a lot of fun to use, especially the shotgun with the special rounds that bounce around the corner.

5HRs2OH.jpg

zR0IE8r.jpg

Wasp

Halfway through the first level I was like "I've made a huge mistake" but the game really picks up a few levels in. I platinumed it and I thoroughly enjoyed doing so, especially playing on Uber difficulty which was the perfect degree of being challenging without being frustrating.

Nokterian

Eh, it was alright. It didn't click for me.

Same, worst thing i hated it more is i was searching more for weapons and ammo then shooting stuff. If it's true to wolfenstein or any oldskool shooter..let me walk over the ammo and guns instead of picking like bird watching the ground for weapons it sucks you totally out of the game.

And they grieve for their dead

Such raw sorrow

Can't partake

Mine would flood oceans

It would drown me

If I let it out...

My favourite single-player FPS since Half-Life 2. The pacing, shooting and the narrative are all top tier.

Same, worst thing i hated it more is i was searching more for weapons and ammo then shooting stuff. If it's true to wolfenstein or any oldskool shooter..let me walk over the ammo and guns instead of picking like bird watching the ground for weapons it sucks you totally out of the game.

Yup, I also had quite a big problem with that aspect. The game didn't do much for me outside of the nice cutscenes.

What a joyful game Wolfenstein is!!!!! I played the game again as soon as I beat it due to how fun it was. It reminds me of the N64 shooting games mixed with some of the current shooters. I usually play this game with stealth with some GREAT action when things get hectic. I'm usually not a guy that complains about single-player only shooting games, but the shooting mechanics are SO good that I really want to see a multiplayer game made out of this.

Felspawn

man this game completely slipped under my radar but i've heard nothing but good word of mouth. going to have to give it a shot

Fugu

I really, really want to play this game but it's $70 on Steam. I can't justify that kind of money for a game at this time of year.

Definitely one of the better FPS campaigns in recent years, but I wasn't in love with it as much as others. The first level is terrible and almost made me regret the purchase, and a few others like the underwater section in the sewers were dull or frustrating. I liked the pacing, love it when games give you a breather in between the action, just some sections were better (prison) than others (sewers, looking for circular saw).

Not the second coming of FPS, but a solid game well worth playing.

Great game, I heard it was good but oh my, it still was able to surprise me. The story and presentation is great, but the gameplay is the star IMHO. For those that say that there is no replay value I disagree, the gameplay is so good that makes it great to comeback for more on a higher difficulty.

Unit24

I remember how the Wolfenstein thread was in the days before release. People who got the game early would be talking about it, and the instant they'd say anything negative, about ten people would respond with "pre-order cancelled". Those were fun days.

Also, why do some people say the game gets worse in the second half? Because to me, that's when the game gets better.

Loxley

Its my favorite game of the year next to Shadows of Mordor. I think it's this year's Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. A shooter that didn't have absurd hype behind its release and manged to deliver an amazingly fun experience.

antitrop

Wolfenstein would make a longer list of my favorite games of all time. I loved everything about it, the story, characters, gunplay, level design, collectibles, soundtrack. All masterful.

Wolfenstein was a nice reminder that there are still people out there making games for me.

rAjb.gif

The pacing in Wolfenstein is immaculate and one of the game's greatest strengths. I love the ebb and flow between the action and story sequences - the game always knows when to ratchet up the action, and when to give the player a breather.

You are correct, sir. Wolfenstein's pacing is one of its greatest assets.

Anyone that thinks it has poor pacing need speak only for themselves and then get their ass back to Call of Duty.

RedSwirl

This game is my beacon of light in a post aim down sights world.

Yep. I'd spent all this year playing a bunch of old school FPSs and wondering why nobody makes shooters designed like DOOM II and Duke 3D anymore, and then this game comes along.

Some people have compared it to RAGE, saying it's the sequel RAGE should have gotten. I guess you could say that.

It's good but the hyperbole surrounding it is something else. Previous Wolfenstein was a little bit better. Singularity was a LOT better. You don't even want to know how much better was Riddick.

The last Wolfenstein is 5 year old. Singularity is almost 5 years old. Riddick is 10 years old.

So yeah... it's been a while.

it was an ok shooter IMO

Not a Halo CE, Half Life 2 or Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay

Slightly better than Killzone 3 (which I enjoyed a lot)

Some of the gore turned me off from the game when I saw other people play it.

Mainly
the brain scene is just completely fucking gross and unnecessary, and the work camp segment just looked boring and uncomfortable.

This game is highly overrated in my opinion. I wasn't a big fan of it, and found parts to be boring.

The AI was also all over the place, and the final boss was awfully cheap, especially in phase 2.

I started on uber, but got annoyed by all of the cheap headshots enemies were getting from afar. They had perfect aim against me, whereas others online said it was a walk in the park with horrible AI. So, I switched to hard.

It seemed to get a bit less frustrating, but the final boss was nearly invincible and I got credit for beating it on uber. So, I'm thinking it maybe glitched and didn't change.

Levyne

Banned
It was definitely a surprisingly good game. I do sort of wish there was some sort of multiplayer or even a wave based challenge mode or some such.

I hated the bridge level at first but after watching the developer walkthrough and hearing other people's impressions on the level, I tried it again a few times and think I enjoyed it more once I simply got better at it.

Probably my favorite game that came out this year. Its soooooo good. Whether its the story or the shooting, i dont think there was a timed i was bored of it except
the moon was a bit of a drag if only becayse the audio on my version wasnt too great
. In terms of "retro" modern fps' i think i enjoyed it more than Shadow Warrior. I must double dip on pc since my only experience was on the ps3. Good thing the steam sale starts next week

I'm actually playing this now and i love every second of it. Pacing is great it goes from brutal action to stealth ish and narration

Gee

Tried this game based on GAF's positive feedback and it certainly did not let me down :)
SP shooters all the way!

Why does it seem like noone talks about this game? I'm interested in it, but I never see it brought up on GAF.

Really? I see it brought up all the time. GAF loves it. I'm just in the minority.

And I tend to agree with the above poster about Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon and 4 being the best.

bathsalts

Its a solid experience, I also liked shadow warrior a bit more. I suppose it depends on how many years we're talking about here because it's certainly not an important fps in the grand scheme of things imo; but you'd have to go back to 2007 or so for the last one of those.

It was definitely a surprisingly good game. I do sort of wish there was some sort of multiplayer or even a wave based challenge mode or some such.

I hated the bridge level at first but after watching the developer walkthrough and hearing other people's impressions on the level, I tried it again a few times and think I enjoyed it more once I simply got better at it.

I love how he refers to the player as "her" throughout the commentary. :D

Alf-Life

More people need to play this! When it was on Steam sale recently, I gifted it to about 3 friends who had it on their wishlists! I just wish more people would play it and give it a chance.

I felt the same before as I bet a lot of people do now; oh a generic same-old same-old FPS, but holy shit... even knowing the credentials (Riddick, The Darkness) of the guys behind it!

It's just lovely old-school mechanics like health, ridiculous dual-wielding of ALL weapons, and secrets that are married to some of the best characters and writing I've played all decade.

It really is the game that made me love AAA again after being quite burned out (and love there's no tacked-on MP).

My favourite single-player FPS since Half-Life 2. The pacing, shooting and the narrative are all top tier.

My exact sentiment as I played further and further through the game. Everything about the gameplay and design feels so well though-out - everything feels considered - and is very well-executed, and the story and characters are not only not garbage, but interesting and likable. Anyone remotely interested should play it.

BBboy20

So they really designed that up-hill battle as a defensive-offensive battle.

Man, that dude was so well shaded that I had to look at a guide to find that enigma code...and I don't how how to crack them.

Decado

Finished the game a few nights ago. Very enjoyable. I prefer last year's Shadow Warrior, but Wolfenstein is still the best fps this year and there haven't been many to match it in a long while.

Pacing wasn't good, though. Stealth/knife missions were boring and wtf were they thinking giving you fetch quests in the compound/hideout? Should have been nearly 2 hrs shorter.

Loved the meaty shooting and character model damage!

Struct09

I thought the game was alright, but it didn't completely click with me like it did others here. In terms of single-player FPS's I had a much better time with Far Cry 4.

Great game. It's a good companion to Farcry 4. They're both first person shooters- one is linear and focused and one is open-world. They really complement each other.

Top Bottom