• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us - ND still having design issues in the AAA space (No Spoilers)

Dabi

Fuck my shit up Fam - so the last point I think I can make with some of the issues with this game is that it's fine to have some broken, dirty places but surely not every single place would look like this? Surely someone has to keep an area clean even though they may not have running water etc

This isn't an issue. In fact, it helps ground the player into the setting by making you feel the hopelessness and the whole "world has gone to shit" vibe. Areas that are in relatively good shape would just feel... off. It wouldn't stay true to the world that TLOU is trying to build, which also helps tell its story.

It's difficult to talk about since you haven't finished the game, but yeah... I think it's fine lol.

Sande

But seriously, why does every stuck door or stuck something require three button presses or three shoulder hits to open
It has been repeated probably around ten times that these are, in essence, loading screens. ND could have cut away to a blank screen for 10-15 seconds and teleport you to the next room, but they decided not to.

I do agree with you that the world is static. I'd like to be able to break more things, interesting stealth and action gameplay can arise from things like interactive doors (think Hotline Miami) and so on and so forth. It has also been repeated multiple times (but you keep dismissing it as if it's irrelevant) that the static nature has a lot to do with TLOU being a PS3 game. They had to do miracles to fit what they now in memory and to get the game to run even decently. Uncharted 4 is already way better about this stuff since it's a PS4 game.

SomTervo

My only HUGE problem with ND games is their tendency to go all cinematic and story telling that they forget about gameplay.

The last of us is good, but I couldnt play it more than one time. A lot of ppl have mentioned grounded difficulty is where it shines. Which begs the questions why didnt naughty dog introduced the game in that fashion?

Survival is where it shines. Grounded is crazy hard, it's pretty much a puzzle mode where you look for perfect runs.

And no, their gameplay is stellar. I still routinely load up Uncharted 2, TLoU and Uncharted 4 because all three have fantastic emergent and improvisation-filed combat arenas. Some of TLoU's are best in class and you'll see new behaviours even on 4th/5th playthroughs. It's the ai and encounter design that really does it.

Survival is where it shines. Grounded is crazy hard, it's pretty much a puzzle mode where you look for perfect runs.

And yes, i still routinely load up Uncharted 2, TLoU and Uncharted 4 because all three have fantastic emergent and improvisation-filed combat arenas. Some of TLoU's are best in class and you'll see news behaviours even on 4th/5th playthroughs. It's the ai and encounter design that really does it.

This. The real platforming also happens during the combat sections, where their games are at their most dynamic.

SomTervo

Everything is sort of boxed in a very structured world, contex ladders, doors, and ledges.

But seriously, why does every stuck door or stuck something require three button presses or three shoulder hits to open

Dude.

They're loading screens. We've told you this.

Would you prefer cuts to black and then a loading screen and then appearing in the next room? Because if so, that's fine. Totally valid complaint. But you're acting as if the 'roadblocks' are bad design rather than an actual trapping of the PS3's RAM, as, again, we've all explained.

This. The real platforming also happens during the combat sections, where their games are at their most dynamic.

Some of the best platforming I've ever done in any Naughty Dog game was in Uncharted 4's Tower Bridge and Jungle arenas.

Absolutely staggeringly fun mobility, improvised gunplay, strategic repositioning, emergent stealth, etc. So fucking good. I'd recommend any new player to, once they finish Uncharted 4, immediately go to 'Encounter select' on the main menu and replay their favourite fights on Crushing a couple of times. It totally shines new light on the game and its systems.

The MP really does show how mechanically solid the game is.

Yep. This is true for most games.

I really don't care for Gears of War as an SP experience. The set-pieces are boring and the flow is just way too cover-based and slow. However, jump into MP against human intelligence and you find a buttload of control nuance you never knew was there and one of the tightest, most unique shooters ever.

Same can be said for Killzone 2 and TLoU.

Heck, the same can even be said for TC:GR Future Soldier. That game had some incredibly tight shooting mechanics and some very novel traversal mechanics, especially when it came to moving into cover and whatnot. That perpendicular dive-roll into prone? Amazing.

It's only when you're forced to outplay and outwit another human that these mechanics all mesh together and shine in a way that scripted AI encounters just don't approach, nor ask of you.

Armchair game development at its finest in the OP. Of all developers that "understand the AAA space" (whatever this sentiment even means), I imagine Naughty Dog "understands" better than any random poster on this forum.

This post seems kind of harsh. Finnicky points in the OP aside, no game is flawless. Naughty Dog games are considered better than most, but even if you have problems with it, why not just say that? Why would you say "Naughty Dog has design issues in the AAA space?" as if they're not capable or up to par with any other developer that makes Triple A titles.

I think Bioware games have garbage writing, Ubisoft games are repetitive and Bethesda games are completely lifeless, but it would be silly to say that these companies are incapable of making games of a AAA standard.

Dude.

They're loading screens. We've told you this.
are you saying it can't be made differently where the world and game play is more dynamic? So? What does it matter what the reasoning is?

Just finished the game, overall I did like it even though apparently posters keep trying to tell me I am lying to myself over and over.

Overall, the story and atmosphere is good. There actually is a less beat to hell location in the game even though I wish it played a bigger role and had more emphasis in the lore (that place is is the farm house) So, at least they did consider it a bit.

I did enjoy the location shifts but the combat and issues from my OP obviously were never going to be rectified. (It was never said or created in the idea that the game isn't good or wasn't made well for what it is) it was to show that the issues of game play and ND design has not changed much.

Overall, I'd give this game around 8.4 out of 10 or so. The ending could have been a little longer IMO but it seems to hold it self up well for a sequel and some other cause (Whatever they wanna do, it seems)

It isn't really the ending I expected but it was good enough, last area of the game was one of the weakest but at least a lot of the stuff before that was overall good

As per Uncharted not sure if I could ever replay it cause it's so constrained and the gameplay isn't that great, if there was a mode where it had no enemies and I could just visit the locations and such then maybe, but knowing the story and have already seen the areas not sure I'd go back to it. Maybe one day in the future if there is ever someone around that is interested in seeing it then I'd do it.

How would you make the loading times more 'dynamic?'

Also, what difficulty did you play the game on?

Where does it make more sense to make the loading "more dynamic" It's about mixing in better level design and gameplay regardless of loading? I do not want to prioritize a little bit of loading before areas to compensate for gameplay that much, is that so bad? You and other posters keep going for an all or nothing solution and why can't we mix in a mix of better level design, less restrained and then work with the loading in a mesh that is a good compromise. Just saying the loading though and dropping it isn't an answer I'd like to hear.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Where does it make more sense to make the loading "more dynamic" It's about mixing in better level design and gameplay regardless of loading? I do not want to prioritize a little bit of loading before areas to compensate for gameplay that much, is that so bad? You and other posters keep going for an all or nothing solution and why can't we mix in a mix of better level design, less restrained and then work with the loading in a mesh that is a good compromise. Just saying the loading though and dropping it isn't an answer I'd like to hear.

But the level design for a lot of the encounters are pretty open and offer enough ways to tackle the situations that it isn't a problem. What I am asking, is what do you mean by more dynamic gameplay? Almost every area I entered I was scouring for gear/ammo while stealthing around and taking people out, then if I was caught a more tense combat encounter would happen where I would have to manage my ammo and other weapons.

So the reason I keep asking you what difficulty level you played at, is that if you were not having to think about running out of ammo or not having enough stuff in your backpack the dynamics of the gameplay, to me, are completely lost.

But the level design for a lot of the encounters are pretty open and offer enough ways to tackle the situations that it isn't a problem. What I am asking, is what do you mean by more dynamic gameplay? Almost every area I entered I was scouring for gear/ammo while stealthing around and taking people out, then if I was caught a more tense combat encounter would happen where I would have to manage my ammo and other weapons.

So the reason I keep asking you what difficulty level you played at, is that if you were not having to think about running out of ammo or not having enough stuff in your backpack the dynamics of the gameplay, to me, are completely lost.

Instead of having point to pont enemey interactions? Look at it this way

When I am in a long hallway the encounters are the opposite of dynamic (probably due to an issue with loading as you are saying as well which is another reason they should get rid of it)

If there are 30 guys for the next two floors one that I am currently on and one above me then the whole thing is fairly restrained and constricted.

The design of the game is to have me hit points that you can also easily guess, from this door to this door 4 or so enemies will load in and come at you, as soon as they are dead the next set of enemies are spawned in at a specific spot, rather it be a door, stair well or what have you, could be in the middle of the map as well. Then they also force things like snipers that can't be seen or killed and this is traditional ND fashion (not only ND obviously) but it brings a super forced game play scenario that may intertwine with teh story and loading but the whole point IT doesn't have to. You can still create game play situations, story and forced ideas without forcing all the issues I am showing.

On the flip side, instead of having all these forced opened doors and forced areas you can load in the two floors as you need, make the areas you can go in and out of them more open and a little less constrained, stair wells on both ends of the floor, windows to go out of and climb on to things are just some of the basics and thus loading in all the enemies with true AI that are on the map at all times and allows you to take them out or sneak by them as you want. Overall, an obviously more realistic game design that makes sense since the game goes for an overall realistic approach, just not in game play or choice in game play.

The worse part of this was the horse chase scene where you felt you could barely move and at times it almost pushes you to enemies.

I think the game is good and even with all these issues it is still ok, but if ND wants to take the game to a new level in overall gameplay, they really have to fix these issues.

I get they are gong for a cinetmatic approach but you can have the best cinetematic approach when the game is doing it through what the player creates in combat? Just my idea I guess but when you are playing Fear you are creating that idea (and no, please for the love of god no one say but this game isn't trying to be fear) that is 100 percent not my point, you craft all the cool things through what you can do in game play, if ND could get that idea into their story ideas then the game would be a lot more fun to play and see all the locations in.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If there are 30 guys for the next two floors one that I am currently on and one above me then the whole thing is fairly restrained and constricted.

The design of the game is to have me hit points that you can also easily guess, from this door to this door 4 or so enemies will load in and come at you, as soon as they are dead the next set of enemies are spawned in at a specific spot, rather it be a door, stair well or what have you, could be in the middle of the map as well. Then they also force things like snipers that can't be seen or killed and this is traditional ND fashion (not only ND obviously) but it brings a super forced game play scenario that may intertwine with teh story and loading but the whole point IT doesn't have to. You can still create game play situations, story and forced ideas without forcing all the issues I am showing.

I mean, this was a PS3 game, there are limitations to how large the levels could be. And I get that you want the AI not to be in the same place time and again, but there locations vary widely when you wait for a bit as they move about on their own, not too mention they can react as individuals/groups when they hear noise.

Also, I can't seem to remember the snipers that you cannot see.

On the flip side, instead of having all these forced opened doors and forced areas you can load in the two floors as you need, make the areas you can go in and out of them more open and a little less constrained, stair wells on both ends of the floor, windows to go out of and climb on to things are just some of the basics and thus loading in all the enemies with true AI that are on the map at all times and allows you to take them out or sneak by them as you want. Overall, an obviously more realistic game design that makes sense since the game goes for an overall realistic approach, just not in game play or choice in game play.

I feel like a lot of combat encounter zones had plenty of routes to make your way through the levels. Were there corridors? You bet, but there was plenty of ways to take on combat encounters.

I mean, this was a PS3 game, there are limitations to how large the levels could be. And I get that you want the AI not to be in the same place time and again, but there locations vary widely when you wait for a bit as they move about on their own, not too mention they can react as individuals/groups when they hear noise.

Also, I can't seem to remember the snipers that you cannot see.

I feel like a lot of combat encounter zones had plenty of routes to make your way through the levels. Were there corridors? You bet, but there was plenty of ways to take on combat encounters.

There is a specific sniper area where the tank guys are trying to kill you, you have to sneak up to the house where he is on the third floor and well even when the scene started I knew I wouldnt be able to ever see him or shoot at him cause this is ND after all. So, I just made my way to him where you fight him in a cut scene, now you could argue but hey it's story to fight the sniper there and to be held back and not be able to kill him.

But I'd argue why? why is that realistic or giving player dynamics or choice? You can still create a cut scene there or situation if you have to, but it isn't really important rather you have killed him or not.

A lot of games have this issue and some will fix it while others just keep it in, ps2 days had a lot of repeating sniper guys taking a hold of such things which I really hate the ever lasting spawning enemies. Obviously if the game is overly realistic then we have a much stronger sense of game play like we have never seen in games and I'm not asking for that as no one is there.

Just asking for the overall design to get a bit of an overhaul, I won't say it's cause of ps3 that these issues are there, they are there cause it's ND and how they design, which was my whole point of the thread and playing TLOU. Some other PS3 games do not use this structure, hitman, half life 2 etc

Now, not to say that you have to have gameplay and good AI, I still really enjoy Heavy Rain and such but with as much combat as ND games tend to have, it seems they could use a different structure is all.

I'm really looking forward to my play of UC4 cause I like to see the atmosphere and locations even though the gameplay doesn't always sit well with me that's mostly ok, I only feel it can be better. Hopefully the game goes on sale soon so I can possibly buy it.

It's really hard to understand what you are trying to say, but it sounds like you are upset that locations in the game are structured and expect you to follow a specific and deliberate series of steps (maybe the game offers multiple routes; I can't recall).

The fact that TLOU is not a largely free form game is not due to loading issues, it's deliberately designed to be a highly structured experience where the developers have a lot of control over how you are able to approach the game,despite options like stealth or going in guns blazing. This isn't an issue, it's a valid choice.

It's really hard to understand what you are trying to say, but it sounds like you are upset that locations in the game are srructured and expect you to follow a specific and deliberate series of steps (maybe the game offers multiple routes; I can't recall).

Multiple routes arent common they have semi wide areas or extra little areas to hop over into other rooms and sneak over and the such there are a few wider areas but they are still typically left/right side triggered and that's about it. They create the game where waiting for AI or waiting for something to happen is tried to be made very specific as well which is sort of something I don't like. Having guys shout or being said to you is also something they do a lot when they want you to run or hold back. It's all quite forced in hindisight.

I feel the game is heavily designed in making sure you are lured or pushed in the areas you need to go. A bit casual minded in this respect I think.

After reading your last few posts it just sounds like you're upset that it's not an open world game. Since when is being linear 'casual minded'?

After reading your last few posts it just sounds like you're upset that it's not an open world game. Since when is being linear 'casual minded'?

I hate open world, the lack of created levels and back and forth tracking isn't my thing. I like borderlands alright, Silent Hill etc even but maybe as much action that ND games have I feel they should just propel their combat and gameplay a lot more to match the visual quality.

I already have the feeling I won't like Left Behind as much as it is a part of something I already know and can consider. (Started it up to see what it was about) I don't have a strong sense in playing it right now so I started up Siege. Will eventually get to it and see how it actually is though.

I hate open world, the lack of created levels and back and forth tracking isn't my thing. I like borderlands alright, Silent Hill etc even but maybe as much action that ND games have I feel they should just propel their combat and gameplay a lot more to match the visual quality.

I already have the feeling I won't like Left Behind as much as it is a part of something I already know and can consider. (Started it up to see what it was about) I don't have a strong sense in playing it right now so I started up Siege. Will eventually get to it and see how it actually is though.
You have this habit of listing other games without really explaining why they are at all relevant to what you are talking about. Like, Borderlands, really? That's your example of good, linear level design? And as for Silent Hill, that is a horror game, not a third person shooter. You don't design the levels for a horror game the same way you would for a shooter. Silent Hill is all about avoiding and circumnavigating enemies, and TLOU is all about finding the best approach for engaging them. I mean, since you didn't really explain what Borderlands or Silent Hill have to do with what you are talking about, I just assume you are relating them to your point about level design. Either way, not really sure how either of those are better than TLOU in terms of level design.

Nuu

Banned
My entry of it on my Top 100 games list:

95| The Last of Us

Released: June 14th, 2013

Definitive Version: PS4; Also on: PS3

AryWikL.jpg

No, The Last of Us isn't "the greatest video game of all-time". Far from it. However, it would be asinine to suggest that the game isn't high quality. Continuing Sony's philosophy of merging games and film, The Last of Us set new bars for games focused on a cinematic experience. The game is so cinematic infact that people often refer to the game as a "cinematic action game" due to how cinematic the game's highly cinematic cinematic moments are... The game plays like a typical linear stealth-action game. The objective often boils down to getting from point A to point B while sneaking past and taking out enemies. The enemies can be divided into two types. Smart enemies, typically humans, and dumb enemies, which are typically the undead. The player will spend much of their time navigating through various buildings and underground passage ways as they avoid being seen by enemies and strike them at just the right moment.

However, where the game really excels at is its pacing and narrative. These two things mix so well with one another that often you feel less like you are playing a game and more that you are playing a movie. This is acheived by just when and how the cutscenes are implemented, as well as the game's top notch writing giving life and depth to the characters. This has the game really always holds the player's interest, at least when it comes to wondering what will happen to the protagonists next.

So why does this game take such low priority on the list? Much like other cinematic focused games, most notably the Bioshock franchise, the game's cinematics are taken priority to the point that the actual gameplay feels secondary. Now this doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, but the problem with The Last of Us is that the gameplay just isn't particularly good. For starters it is highly generic. How many games use the stealth based combat approach in which the player hides by crouching a distance away from the enemy, and then when the enemy isn't looking, slowly crouch walk toward them in order to stab or snap their neck? To add to that, the actual stealth based gameplay is fairly shallow. It relies on the bare basics of crouch walking, the ability to throw objects to distract your enemies, and sneak attacks. Now this wouldn't be as big of a problem if it wasn't for my second complaint of the game. It is pretty repetitive. These stealth sections feel that they make up at least 50% of the game. The majority of the other 50% are the shooting segments which feel just as shallow.

That said, The Last of Us is not a bad game. It's a great one in fact. The game is highly engaging and will make anyone who plays it be very connected to the characters and the world around them. Unfortunately due to the lacking depth in gameplay I didn't appreciate this one as much as others.

The Last of Us is a great game. That's just it though it's great. It isn't greatest of all-time, there are many better games than it. I can see it being GOTY material, but GOTG (game of the generation) has me scratching my head.

Buuuuullshit.

This is kind of true with Left Behind and parts of Uncharted 4, but that's it.

The gameplay in TLOU is very mediocre. The stealth segments are shallow and repetitive, and the same can be said about the shooting segments. The actual gameplay of the game isn't that good, as it is the narrative the pushes the game forward.

It sounds like you want open world, but you don't want the lack of attention to detail that comes with it.

The Last of Us is a great game. That's just it though it's great. It isn't greatest of all-time, there are many better games than it. I can see it being GOTY material, but GOTG (game of the generation) has me scratching my head.

The gameplay in TLOU is very mediocre. The stealth segments are shallow and repetitive, and the same can be said about the shooting segments. The actual gameplay of the game isn't that good, as it is the narrative the pushes the game forward.

Love me some TLOU experts. The gameplay is perfect and does the job. I never fel so tensr while clearing section, being human, "zombies" or both.

PS
Just to be clear, i would have agreed with you if you have not used the word cinematic like the way you used it.

I love the effort you put in that top 100. I think your assessment of TLOU is completely off and you have an eclectic taste when it comes to games but I salute your passion

Nuu

Banned
Love me some TLOU experts. The gameplay is perfect and does the job. I never fel so tensr while clearing section, being human, "zombies" or both.

"TLOU expert"? What does that even mean?

The gameplay is far from perfect. The stealth is mediocre not just in an options perspective, as you can only either do a sneak kill attack or distract the enemies (I guess there are traps but those are never needed), but also from design perspective. I'm fine with recycling enemies, but it's another thing to constantly recycle the enemies in the same situation over and over again. Being in the situation of "A clicker is between me and the exit? What to do I do?" gets old after the dozenth time or so. While the gunplay is poor and getting into firefights just aren't challenging or fun. This REALLY show when
you are in Tommy's commune fighting off the human enemies. Just so bland.

PS
Just to be clear, i would have agreed with you if you have not used the word cinematic like the way you used it.

But you said you disagree with me on zombies and human combat being mediocre...?

The use of the word "cinematic" is used correctly. It's pretty obvious playing the game that the developers wanted to make it feel like you are playing blockbuster post apocalyptic film, with the strict pacing, use of the camera, the way the dialogue is presented, etc. The title works best with it's interactive cutscene style in full effect, the same way the Bioshock series flourishes. The intro is an obvious example, but pretty much any parts that weren't too stealth/shooty focused were when the game was at its best. Unfortunately, when the gameplay heavy segments being the game shows its flaws.

I love the effort you put in that top 100. I think your assessment of TLOU is completely off and you have an eclectic taste when it comes to games but I salute your passion

Thank you.

That means a lot coming from the Grand Master of Official Threads. :)

"TLOU expert"? What does that even mean?

The gameplay is far from perfect. The stealth is mediocre not just in an options perspective, as you can only either do a sneak kill attack or distract the enemies (I guess there are traps but those are never needed), but also from design perspective. I'm fine with recycling enemies, but it's another thing to constantly recycle the enemies in the same situation over and over again. Being in the situation of "A clicker is between me and the exit? What to do I do?" gets old after the dozenth time or so. While the gunplay is poor and getting into firefights just aren't challenging or fun. This REALLY show when
you are in Tommy's commune fighting off the human enemies. Just so bland.

But you said you disagree with me on zombies and human combat being mediocre...?

The use of the word "cinematic" is used correctly. It's pretty obvious playing the game that the developers wanted to make it feel like you are playing blockbuster post apocalyptic film, with the strict pacing, use of the camera, the way the dialogue is presented, etc. The title works best with it's interactive cutscene style in full effect, the same way the Bioshock series flourishes. The intro is an obvious example, but pretty much any parts that weren't too stealth/shooty focused were when the game was at its best. Unfortunately, when the gameplay heavy segments being the game shows its flaws.

Thank you.

That means a lot coming from the Grand Master of Official Threads. :)

Anyone that puts HL2 as their number 1 is someone I can get behind

tzare

i mean , each one has his preferences and tastes,and no game is perfect. But some really try too hard to dismiss ND games, TlOU in this case.
The gameplay is far from perfect
I just saw your list, i mean, it is fun that you argue that and then there are some games in the list above it... it is at least fun i guess.

Ok so point me to an "AAA" game that does every single thing you mentioned the right way? Not one thing in one game and another thing in another game I mean one game that gets all your points right.

Basically unless you can point to a shining example all I see is extreme unfair nitpicking.I will tell you ND is one of if not THE best developer in the console space and I really want to know what game is up to your ridiculous standards.

This has got to be the worst LTTP thread I've seem. The only real issue is the friendly Ai which they explained already. The entire thread going on about stairs animation and car physiques in a game where you don't drive. Lmao. At best it's nitpicking. I've my own issues with the game but they aren't stairs and the non driving scenes which may up less than 1% of the game. Still one of the best game ever made to me. You have to remember this was a PS3 game! Lol

I can't put this game anywhere near games like half life 2, Mario kart, deus ex and other games that are probably not worrh saying

I actually put last of us near some of my favorite games that have a bit of a rough spot in controls and some other issues

Raw danger is a game that obviously doesn't have great visuals a decent styke for what it is and I sort of put the last of us with it cause of how they play. Obviously raw danger plays worse in many aspects as its old, from a small team and quite niche. But at the end of the day I just enjoy raw danger more cause it's more gameplay focused and while I get things are well beyond contextual there I just don't mind it in such a title.

I also don't mind doors and such in games like devil may cry

I think in my mind when tlou is going for a slow and realistic vibe, I just want or feel I want it to hk Ave physics door abilities and being able to really dive in deep

This has got to be the worst LTTP thread I've seem. The only real issue is the friendly Ai which they explained already. The entire thread going on about stairs animation and car physiques in a game where you don't drive. Lmao. At best it's nitpicking. I've my own issues with the game but they aren't stairs and the non driving scenes which may up less than 1% of the game. Still one of the best game ever made to me. You have to remember this was a PS3 game! Lol
Does it not make any sense to you that the stairs is part of the issue in things being very driven and that is more of the point than the stairs themselves

It's like people just constantly over exaggerate and nitpick one thing out of an overall idea this showing they don't care to get the actual point. Poor discussion on this topic.

The nitpicking in this thread is exhilarating

Toni

Don't insult brain dead things by comparing them to something as deficient as the "platforming" in UC4.

Christ, what a boring game.

But Why are you salty about Naughty Dog making Game Of The Year games everytime they touch something?

Like, its affecting you throughly, clearly.

I dont get it 😂

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does it not make any sense to you that the stairs is part of the issue in things being very driven and that is more of the point than the stairs themselves

It's like people just constantly over exaggerate and nitpick one thing out of an overall idea this showing they don't care to get the actual point. Poor discussion on this topic.

I also find that people look for things to complain about in TLoU.

TLoU is IMO one of the greatest games of all time and (like WItcher 3) is immensely greater than the sum of its parts. However, it took me several playthroughs to really understand how great the game was. It wasn't until I played it on Survivor on PS4 that I really came to appreciate it.

Do the individual gameplay elements when taken piece by piece occassionally leave a lot to be desired? Sure, but on the whole they make for a breathtaking and timeless classic.

TLoU is IMO one of the greatest games of all time and (like WItcher 3) is immensely greater than the sum of its parts. However, it took me several playthroughs to really understand how great the game was. It wasn't until I played it on Survivor on PS4 that I really came to appreciate it.

Do the individual gameplay elements when taken piece by piece occassionally leave a lot to be desired? Sure, but on the whole they make for a breathtaking and timeless classic.

I didn't look for things to complain about because of other complaints etc

I haven't read up on it or payed attention to it other than the basic trailers from E3 they had before the game had come out and such. I had got annoyed by UC and was going to be seeing how it compared though.

I thought the gameplay in TLOU was the shiznat. Carried over really well for MP as well. Playing on grounded was the some of the most intense shit I ever played.

Sande

Well said about being more than the sum of its parts. That's true for a lot of Naughty Dog's output. Does someone do sneaking better? Sure. Shooting? A little bit, yeah. Environment simulation/interaction? Absolutely. But the fact that ND does all of that well, ties it all together seamlessly, and has arguably the best storytelling in the business, not to mention insane production value across the board, is why their games are so special for me.

btw. What's the story behind your tag? There's not even a post to give some context.

People have responded to every point you've made. It has mostly boiled down to "I find this an incredible nitpick that ND is no more guilty of than anyone else" or flat-out disagreement of the validity of the complaint in the first place. The AI issues are something pretty much everyone can agree with, which is why they've been the number one criticism since day one.

Top Bottom