• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The WWF's "Attitude Era"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
b0df57f8dc6cd860ff9d864891b0faf6.gif

Val Penis?

BadAss2961

Every Monday 3 hours of crotch chops and Jerry Lawler screeching about "puppies"
2 hours back then.

Anyway, this is the best era of wrestling. Not only with the Attitude Era, but because of the Monday Night wars as a whole. WCW was better for most of this period, and ECW was the perfect third product.

The WCW/NWO and Attitude era is the best era in televised professional wrestling, bar none. As a lifelong but tepid wrestling fan I was blessed to be born into the Hulkamania era and as a youngster go crazy for the larger than life guys, and then be 13, 14, 15 during the prime years of the Attitude Era, so the product was basically made for me... A testosteroned, crude 14-year-old who had the internet.

While plenty of the talent was garbage during the attitude era, and some things are obviously better today (like the wrestling. The ring product is 10,000x better today than it has ever been), the best thing was that every guy on the card was ridiculously over, every guy had a storyline that you'd be interested in, and the midcard talent was out of this world. We'll never get that again. Fans are too jaded, too burned out from the excess of the Attitude Era of wrestling (ECW, backyard wrestling, WCW's horrible turn post-1998, and the ridiculousness of WWE 2000 - 2004), but it was the best time to be a teenage, male wrestling gan.

Lothar

Banned
That's a good starting point but you'd be missing out on some really great stuff.

For example, here's a heel Austin in 1996 compilation that I put together. A lot in the Wrassin Community thread enjoyed it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vdx9l_buildup-to-austin-vs-bret-at-survivor-series-96_tv

It's worth starting from Survivor Series 1996, and watching every Raw on fast forward and stopping if you see Austin, Bret, HBK, Owen, Rock, Mankind, Undertaker.

I think 1997 was the best year because of the Canada vs USA story, Bret as a heel, DX (the good version of DX), Undertaker vs Kane story, the rise of Austin, Foley bringing out Dude Love and Cactus Jack for the first time, HBK vs Bret, and HBK vs Undertaker.

Welcome to the best era of wrestling, where the crowds were excited about everything, because they didn't try to insult your intelligence on a daily basis, every wrestler had a distinct personality, and promos were entertaining as fuck.

Finishing it will make watching todays stuff 10 times harder than it already is.

It is hard to go back to in a lot of ways because of the racist, sexist, transphobic, homophobic etc stuff that is actually about half of the attitude era . 2000-2001 , for me was easily the best part of the attitude era .

Syder

There was a lot of good stuff at the top of the card and a boatload of complete trash. The week-to-week TV was great but the PPVs were usually pretty weak.
This era gave us one of the worst Manias ever, after all.
A McMahon in every corner...

I didn't know so many preferred 96-97 and disliked everything afterwards. Weird.

Anywho, I started watching around 98 I think. So I prefer that year up to whenever Austin turned heel at Wrestlemania and started saying "what?" after every sentence.

In retrospect, the attitude era has a lot of problems. It's dumb, crass and politically incorrect in a lot of ways. The wrestling for the most part isn't great. Shit can get really weird sometimes too, in a very cringey way.
But that's kind of it's charm. It's an entertaining mess.

Bikertaker can fuck off though. Fuck that goofy ass gimmick.

abundant

I didn't know so many preferred 96-97 and disliked everything afterwards. Weird.

Anywho, I started watching around 98 I think. So I prefer that year up to whenever Austin turned heel at Wrestlemania and started saying "what?" after every sentence.

In retrospect, the attitude era has a lot of problems. It's dumb, crass and politically incorrect in a lot of ways. The wrestling for the most part isn't great. Shit can get really weird sometimes too, in a very cringey way.

Bikertaker can eat my shit though. Fuck that goofy ass gimmick.

The reason why is because that period (96-97) had the edginess and realness of the Attitude Era without as much of the dumb, crude, and politically incorrect nonsense you'd find in 98 and onward.

Einhander

What would you all say is the greatest wrestling match ever?

I feel safe to say the iron man match between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart was the best wrestling match I've ever watched. That rivalry was the best ever created because not only was it scripted so well, but those two had real friction between each other.

96/97 felt like a legit shoot. Something it felt authentic and real. Pillmans gun, NoD, everything leading up to Kane, Ken Shamrock, Vader getting arrested, Mankind and Goldusts interviews with Jim Ross.....and I didn't even mention the Austin,HBK & Bret stuff.

Also that mini ECW invasion

Lothar

Banned

I feel safe to say the iron man match between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart was the best wrestling match I've ever watched. That rivalry was the best ever created because not only was it scripted so well, but those two had real friction between each other.

I would say that one. I agree. Next might be Austin vs Bret at WM13 and HBK vs Undertaker at WM25.

96/97 felt like a legit shoot. Something it felt authentic and real. Pillmans gun, NoD, everything leading up to Kane, Ken Shamrock, Vader getting arrested, Mankind and Goldusts interviews with Jim Ross.....and I didn't even mention the Austin,HBK & Bret stuff.

Also that mini ECW invasion

96 through 97 I went back and watched the PPVs, definitely a really strong stretch. that Vader Shamrock fight that basically turned into a shoot... damn that was a great match.

What's really interesting is that you can see the first spark of the Attitude era in 95 with Bret vs Diesel. It starts to progress slowly till KoR 96.

Fatalah

Let's recognize an epic wrestling feud that gave Stone Cold's gimmick credibility - Austin vs. the Hitman. That shiz was intense.

Bikertaker can fuck off though. Fuck that goofy ass gimmick.
Probably a vocal minority, since the ratings peak was in late 99, early 2000 when the Rock and SCSA was at their peaks of popularity.

Plus Neogaf would be concerned more about political correctness than other forums.

Anth0ny

lets get one thing straight: there is some awesome talent today, and the main roster is arguably deeper and more talented than it's ever been.

however, creative is inarguably the worst its ever been. vince and dunn are crazy old out of touch fucks who have no idea how to create new stars.

that being said, the attitude era is still the greatest era in wrestling history. watch from the beginning of 97 all the way to mania x7. it's incredible.

Heroman

Banned

In wwe or in world or wrestling?
For it probably be Okada vs Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 10 and wwe matches would probably be Zayn vs Neville or taker vs Michaels.

Tagyhag

There's a few good things about the Attitude era and some of the stars it spawned.

But most of it was just racist, sexist, cringey, tryhard, edgy, McMahon infested trash (A product of its time).

So basically, it was today's wrestling, only amplified.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Most of the modern stuff is terrible but let's not sit here and pretend that the roster in 98 was good and that it wasn't just upheld by Stone Cold, Vince, and The Rock.

The crowds were hotter but they were hot for everything. Like Headbangers got pops despite being terrible.

You want to talk cringeworthy, nothing is more cringeworth than DX. That shit was lame then. It's extra double lame trash now.

Anth0ny

Austin vs. Bret at Mania 13!!!

Einhander

In wwe or in world or wrestling?
For it probably be Okada vs Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 10 and wwe matches would probably be Zayn vs Neville or taker vs Michaels.

WWE

HBK and Undertaker had classic matches as well. Their cage matches were legendary. It would have been awesome if there was a four way cage match between Stone Cold, Undertaker, HBK, and Bret Hart.

Probably a vocal minority, since the ratings peak was in late 99, early 2000 when the Rock and SCSA was at their peaks of popularity.

Plus Neogaf would be concerned more about political correctness than other forums.

Well, I'd argue that for me, it's more because I like the wrestling. The peak of the attitude era seemed less about that, than 96 / 97 was.

RK9039

WWE is so terrible right now that I just watch highlights on their YouTube channel, and that's only when I'm bothered. They all suck imo with the exception of a few, and the company has to rely on old timers for casual fans.

WWE is so terrible right now that I just watch highlights on their YouTube channel, and that's only when I'm bothered. They all suck imo with the exception of a few, and the company has to rely on old timers for casual fans.

As others have said, watch Smackdown + Talking Smack.

Or hell, any NXT Takeover.

Indelible

WWE is to over scripted today, which is just one of the reasons it is a slog to sit through. It is a shame because the roster is probably the best it has ever been but they are so neutered by the horrible booking. I miss RAW being must see like it was in the Attitude Era, but at least we have NXT Takeover for some quality wrestling.

A lot of it is trash, tonedeaf and utterly offensive. The in-ring is awful, too.

But there's something to be said about how the show ran at a good quick pace and every character had interpersonal feuds. Feuds on anything but the main event these days are pretty spartan. There was more emphasis on the whole card and it wasn't unusual to hear of a kid who had like, Albert, as his favorite wrestler or some shit. With how the product is now, I can't see anyone really idolizing anyone that's not in the main event picture.

Heroman

Banned
WWE

HBK and Undertaker had classic matches as well. Their cage matches were legendary. It would have been awesome if there was a four way cage match between Stone Cold, Undertaker, HBK, and Bret Hart.
Let see, Daniel Bryan vs evolution at wm 30 is probably the best match and storylines wwe had ever done

Travo

There was a lot of good stuff at the top of the card and a boatload of complete trash. The week-to-week TV was great but the PPVs were usually pretty weak.
This era gave us one of the worst Manias ever, after all.

A McMahon in every corner...

The following ppv with Rock/HHH was a classic though.

90% of today's in ring matches are god awful and overly scripted. The only guys I like watching are the NXT guys, Zayn, Owens, Balor, Rollins, Cesaro, AJ & Jericho. It's just way too choreographed now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Seeing how Womens Wrestling was treated back then, I cant really stomach that shit anymore.

Smackdown and NXT are pretty good, CWC was incredible and yeah, RAW sucks pretty often. Overall its mostly good.

If you judge how good things are/were by crowd reactions then I dont know what to tell you. I dont like a movie, game, song or book any more or less based on shit like that.

Lothar

Banned

Ratings don't just go from 1s to 7s overnight. It's a slow gradual thing as word of mouth builds up. You can see that with something like Game of Thrones where the best season, Season 1, had probably the lowest ratings. You have to be good for a long period of time to get the ratings WWF was getting in 99 and 2000.

1997 WWF was the best year for storylines but no one was watching. I wasn't even watching. I started watching in early 98 as more and more kids in my high school were starting to talk about it. Montreal and Mike Tyson helped out a lot to get people to put it on for the first time. Once they did, they liked what they saw.

90% of today's in ring matches are god awful and overly scripted. The only guys I like watching are the NXT guys, Zayn, Owens, Balor, Rollins, Cesaro, AJ & Jericho. It's just way too choreographed now.

Unfortunately the wrestling takes a back seat to the drama, made for t-shirt catch phrases and frequent authority promos.

Luckily we see some actual wrestling during most PPVs, especially during Takeovers.

Sucks bruh. NJPW is where it's at for in ring fans.

Unfortunately the wrestling takes a back seat to the drama, made for t-shirt catch phrases and frequent authority promos.

Luckily we see some actual wrestling during most PPVs, especially during Takeovers.

Sucks bruh. NJPW is where it's at for in ring fans.

100%. The product just comes off as manufactured corporate jibberish. It's a stark contrast to what it use to be

bjork

HBK v. HHH for the European title in December 1997.

Syder

In WWE? Very tough call. CM Punk v John Cena, MITB 2011? Bret v Austin at Mania 13? Taker v HBK, In Your House 18? Benoit v HHH v Michaels at Mania XX? Far too many to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom