• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza Kiwami

GrayChild

header.jpg

Finished Yakuza 0 a few days ago. Loved it, and it's now one of my GOAT titles. So naturally, I went straight to Yakuza Kiwami, which I also love so far.

Only one thing though...

Is it me, or is the game MUCH harder than 0 (playing both on Normal)? Even with grinding for more XP, I sometimes get a lot of damage even from regular mobs, which were a cakewalk in the previous one.

On a separate note, how do you think this one fares compared to the next installments in the series?

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I first played yakuza kiwami and enjoyed it, then tried yakuza 0 and didn't like it. After that played yakuza like a dragon and enjoyed that one too, even more than kiwami. This reminded me to install yakuza kiwami 2. Thanks

Skifi28

I think it was zero that was a bit too easy for a Yakuza game, normal felt like easy on any other title. For me the best are kiwami 2 and lost judgment as I have a hard time going back to the games in the old engine, but I enjoyed kiwami more than zero. It was small and to the point, zero was a bit too large for its own sake and the story was dragging on by the end.

Thief1987

I don't remember that Kiwami was harder than Yakuza 0 for me in general, but there are a couple of tough spots, which were tougher than anything in Yakuza 0: car chase on Legend and the final boss fight. Final boss fight is more annoying than hard though, because it just terribly designed. Kiwami 2 is a more fleshed out and a better game, but it's more limited in combat department as it doesn't have fighting styles. However, tbh Y0 and Kiwami are outliers here - they are the only games in the series which have different fighting styles.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Just a fair bit of warning, if you plan on playing them all, Yakuza 3-5 remasters will feel outdated, especially 3. It will be a challenge to play 3 after playing the Kiwami remakes, with that said, it’s still a nice little chapter in the grand story of Yakuza.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I tried 0 and got pretty far, but I gave up. I love the intricately detailed world, the story, etc, but I just couldn't stand the combat after a while. It just feels sooo samey and monotonous to me. But I've never liked beat em ups, so yeah.

I think it also just felt a little overwhelming to me, with the business stuff and all the other side activities. I know you don't have to do all of that, but I have a hard time just skipping half the content of any game I play.

Last edited:

gela94

I also started to play the game a while ago, I played it already some 15 years ago or something so I like the extra stuff but the fights are frustrating sometimes with this whole health regenerating . .. But also why does Kazuma always look kinda old?

Paltheos

Surprising opinions here. I thought general consensus is that Kiwami 1 is worse than 0 (which I agree with). Kiwami's story isn't as interesting, some of the subsystems are clunky, and the combat is needlessly more unforgiving.
I've actually put Kiwami 2 further down in my stack because of how much Kiwami 1 turned me off, and I love Yakuza 0.

stn

I loved Zero, and Kiwam1/1, though Kiwami 2/2 still has my favorite story in the whole franchise.

Orbital2060

Kiwami is the second part of the overarching narrative between Kiryu and Nishiki. After the retro fitting of the story in Y0. Kiwami just suffers from a bit of poor balancing. With some not-fun boss fights and PS2 era design limitations.

Y0 is one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion. Its hard to differentiate between the games because they all got some things going on that make them awesome

Kiwami is probably the roughest one, and Y3 maybe. But Y0 and Kiwami should be played back to back. And then the rest in chronological order.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I prefer Yakuza 1 more, the story in 0 makes no sense, the transition of Majima felt very artificial

Gameplay wise, The currency mechanic in 0 is pretty bad, making price from vendor redundant, it also breaks the lore, you could reach trillions of Yen if you want to, which makes the 10 billion Yen plotline of Yakuza 1 looks silly

Last edited:

Thief1987

I prefer Yakuza 1 more, the story in 0 makes no sense, the transition of Majima felt very artificial

Gameplay wise, The currency mechanic in 0 is pretty bad, making price from vendor redundant, it also breaks the lore, you could reach trillions of Yen if you want to, which makes the 10 billion Yen plotline of Yakuza 1 looks silly
You can reach trillions in Kiwami if you want to as well. You just need to make 10 billion steps for each of them 😁

SeraphJan

You can reach trillions in Kiwami if you want to as well. You just need to make 10 billion steps for each of them 😁
Not even close, in Yakuza 0 you could make trillion very fast with shakedown farm combine with 100% real estate

Especially when the game doesn't have separate EXP system, you could make your character ridiculously powerful early on with very little effort with all the money (every one of your ability are accessible right away, with limit unlock CP perk, you could break the game in the very early chapters)

Last edited:

The Shepard

Just a fair bit of warning, if you plan on playing them all, Yakuza 3-5 remasters will feel outdated, especially 3. It will be a challenge to play 3 after playing the Kiwami remakes, with that said, it’s still a nice little chapter in the grand story of Yakuza.

I played 3, 4 and 5 after all the rest and liked 3 better than 4 and 5. I like the more summer setting. 4 and especially 5 are very long compared to the rest.

And op don't forget the judgment games, very much a Yakuza game in all but name. I started playing these last gen and it's now one of my favourite franchises, I'll always buy the next one out. Yakuza kiwami was my first, then zero, then 6. Great games, nothing else like them.

StereoVsn

3 is one of my favorite Yakuza games actually, a lot of it due to change of scenery. I imported the PS3 Japanese version since US one had a lot of dumb content cuts back in the day even.

Ozrimandias

It is currently one of my favorite franchises and Kiwami, one of my favorites, however I think that kiwami is much more enjoyable having finished zero, so the fall of nishiki is more dramatic and tragic

Fbh

Kiwami is great, a really nice update to the original. Kiwami 2 is also great and gets a nice visual upgrade because it was made on the newer engine. Though I still like Zero better.
The only problem is that after Kiwami 1 and 2, Yakuza 3 will feel a bit dated both visually and mechanically.

Don't know about the difficulty though. The Yakuza games in general have always been way too easy since you can always stock up on healing items.
I usually play them with a house rule where I only heal by eating at restaurants but never use healing items. I actually think it makes the combat way more interesting, the boss battles in particular are pretty fun when you can't just button mash your way trough them.

Aenima

Kiwami was one of weakest yakuza games, when you look at the whole package, but has probably the most important main story. Alot of other Yakuzas go pick on stuff that happened in the 1st game.

Kiwami 2 gets much better as a whole package, but Yakuza Zero was really the GOAT.

Ppl should try out Judgment and Lost Judgment too. While i like more the side content in the Kiryu saga games, to me the main stories in judgement are even better than the ones in the main Yakuza games.

Last edited:
I think Yakuza 1 is a great entry point to the series. Despite being the most vanilla in the series in terms of the whole game package and I suppose the most dated by design, it's still a good time. I personally prefer when the Yakuza games focus on 1 playable character. I enjoyed Kiwami 1 over 0 mostly because of this reason. The money thing doesn't really work in 0 either. There's a big emphasis on cash, it plays a big role in the game but it doesn't work story wise. I also think the story being retrospectively added in doesn't completely work. I'm not a big fan of Majima's character change from 0 to 1. It doesn't work for me and feels very forced, not in a good way. 0 to me feels more like a 'what if' scenario. I suppose that's the problem when prequels are shoehorned in a timeline. Kiwami 2 is my favourite overall in the series with 6 being a fun second favourite of mine.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I played 3, 4 and 5 after all the rest and liked 3 better than 4 and 5. I like the more summer setting. 4 and especially 5 are very long compared to the rest.

And op don't forget the judgment games, very much a Yakuza game in all but name. I started playing these last gen and it's now one of my favourite franchises, I'll always buy the next one out. Yakuza kiwami was my first, then zero, then 6. Great games, nothing else like them.

3 is one of my favorite Yakuza games actually, a lot of it due to change of scenery. I imported the PS3 Japanese version since US one had a lot of dumb content cuts back in the day even.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed 3 and thought the storyline with kids was good, just that it can be a bit of a shock going to it after playing Kiwami 1 and 2.

drganon

I enjoyed Kiwami, but it's not one of my favorites. The final boss battle in particular was very annoying.

Orbital2060

Kiwami was one of weakest yakuza games, when you look at the whole package, but has probably the most important main story. Alot of other Yakuzas go pick on stuff that happened in the 1st game.

Kiwami 2 gets much better as a whole package, but Yakuza Zero was really the GOAT.

Ppl should try out Judgment and Lost Judgment too. While i like more the side content in the Kiryu saga games, to me the main stories in judgement are even better than the ones in the main Yakuza games.
Thats good to hear about Lost Judgment. I bought it in the ultimate sale. Just need the tlme to play it.

Do you think Judgment is necessary to play first?

Last edited:

GrayChild

That's my plan. Got every installment that's released on GOG, so unless I get seriously burned out on the series, I'll go through each one of them chronologically.

ZFd7jNH.png

That's also the reason why I avoided spending too much time on side activities in Yakuza 0. The game is just too big for its own good. Spent 45 hours in it, just to get a bit less than 30% completion rate.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I'm currently playing Yakuza 0, it's my first Yakuza and loving it so far.

I'm planning on going with 3, 4 and 5 before Kiwami 1 and 2 for the exact reason you talked about. Story wise, is it ok do it like this? Am I gonna be lost and not understand a bunch of stuff for going straight to 3?

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Yakuza 3 will feel a bit dated both visually and mechanically.
Funny I remember playing it on PS3 thinking it looked awesome but you're right compared to the others it looks like shit. Kiryu looks a hasbro action figure

Orbital2060

Is not necessary, is a standalone story like each Yakuza. But i would recomment start playing from the 1st game just to have a better connection with the main characters.
Thanks. Looking forward to playing them, May do Lost Judgment first, depending on whether Judgment goes on sale in the meantime.

gela94

Hands up who thinks the "Bad Ass Dad" or DILF subplot is the best of the game . . .just hilarious!

Pallas

Gold Member

I'm planning on going with 3, 4 and 5 before Kiwami 1 and 2 for the exact reason you talked about. Story wise, is it ok do it like this? Am I gonna be lost and not understand a bunch of stuff for going straight to 3?
You’ll probably be fine, you might not understand a few things but once you finish up with Kiwami 1+2, it’ll make sense.

Ozrimandias

No man, if you love zero go inmediately with Kiwami.
Let me justify more.
Kiwami takes over certain events and characters immediately after 0. Those characters never appear again in later games, but the repercussions are remembered in almost all subsequent installments.
3,4 and 5, they are not better games than Kiwami (Maybe 4), the stories are not as memorable. However Kiwami has a very interesting plot.
Remember that Kiwami is set I think 10 years after 0, seeing how Kamurocho has "grown up" is very interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom