• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP || Zelda: Skyward Sword || and my vacation from the evil HD consoles [SPOILERS]

watershed

Banned
I love all the little details and oddities of the Zelda timeline. I got a lot of joy out of Skyward Sword just from those tidbits.

I'm playing through Twilight Princess right now for the first time (having more or less played all of the previous Legend of Zelda entries) and the feeling I get when reading your post is that you're a bit over-exaggerating the issue. Sure, I definitely don't need slingshot or sword training, but I really appreciated those sections in the game, because it took me less than a minute or two to accomplish them and more importantly because they fit in with the story perfectly and they are executed in such a charming way (the characters writing, the expression on their faces ...) that you just want to relax and enjoy the ride.

disclaimer: I haven't played Skyward Sword yet.
Agreed. And if you actually know what you are doing, you can complete the entire tutorial section in a couple of minutes. You can even skip every cutscene ranging from story cutscenes to the minor ones (e.g. you can skip the cutscene showing the hawk arriving after you called him). I'm just speaking about the in my mind superior GC version here, but the tutorial in TP was no issue for me.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I loved the tadpole collecting too, but what do I know, I must be insane.

I certainly didn't have any issues with it, but again, Zelda fanbase is mostly insane

I really hope the next Zelda takes a lot from SS. What a wonderful game

leroidys

What about those people who HAVEN'T yet played a Zelda game?

Ruining it for the rest of us.

Somehow people managed to jump in at OoT, are people that much dumber now?

I'm playing through Twilight Princess right now for the first time (having more or less played all of the previous Legend of Zelda entries) and the feeling I get when reading your post is that you're a bit over-exaggerating the issue. Sure, I definitely don't need slingshot or sword training, but I really appreciated those sections in the game, because it took me less than a minute or two to accomplish them and more importantly because they fit in with the story perfectly and they are executed in such a charming way (the characters writing, the expression on their faces ...) that you just want to relax and enjoy the ride.

The other option to satisfy "experienced" players would've been to have a skippable/separate tutorial but I would be sad if they went for this kind of design choice. Yes, I know goat herding final function is to train the player to control Epona efficiently but this is done in such a seemless and charming way that even if I do not need that training, I still enjoy the experience. I'll be thinking of it as if I were indeed herding rather than thinking "Bah! to hell with this tutorial, give me a real challenge"

Then again, I'm also somebody who will always play through the tutorials missions/campaigns in all the games I decide to play, so yeah I understand how it would annoy others. Still, I think I can say that Zelda games are up there with the best games series when it comes to introducing new game mechanics. In a way, everything is a tutorial for the next dungeon room where a puzzle of a tad slightly higher difficulty awaits.

disclaimer: I haven't played Skyward Sword yet.

The training stuff was extra filler though. In previous games, your first battle or the part where you have to shoot down the beehive are the "training" parts, but in this game you have to do those in addition to the boxed off training ground stuff.

But calibrating ranged items was just a matter of pointing in the middle and pressing down on the d-pad. That was never really an issue for me.

Yes, that is the idea. Sometimes it would not fix it though. The beetle would be the worst, it could get stuck in one direction and no amount of recalibrating would fix it. I would have to restart the game, taking the batteries out of the controller wouldn't even fix it. Seems to me to be a software issue.

En-ou

i'm playing this currently with Vision 3D + Acer 27 inch 3D monitor - it is fucking glorious.
3D gaming is here to stay - it adds so much more in terms of awareness and immersion. and the cool factor is off the hook! my beetle is flying outside my screen!

leroidys

i'm playing this currently with Vision 3D + Acer 27 inch 3D monitor - it is fucking glorious.
3D gaming is here to stay - it adds so much more in terms of awareness and immersion. and the cool factor is off the hook! my beetle is flying outside my screen!

Damn that sounds awesome. How much did you get the monitor for?

Does anyone who has the WiiRemote+ as opposed to the WiiRemote + MotionPlus not have to calibrate it as much? I find that my WR + MP combo loses calibration quite quickly.

I just completed the first silent world, a bit easy but quite tense and fun. It's terrifying when if you get discovered, I didn't realise I was holding the A button down and then I ran out of stamina so they got me.

I only played it with the gold Wiimote + that was part of the bundle option.

I didn't finish the game. I wanted to love it but after playing Bethesda RPG's I just don't care about Link and Zelda anymore. Plus I loathe the wiimote.

Footos22

I did exactly the same as the Op in June time. Got fed up with all the annoying bs that comes with playing games this gen so decided to have a break and borrowed my mums wii.
Played nothing else for 50 hours of game time and it was the best experience i had since the hd twins were released. Fully engrossed. unlike anything i played on the other consoles. Nothing to take me out of the experience, just me and the game no online crap.

Just like old times. ;'( and it was wonderful

JimboJones

Does anyone who has the WiiRemote+ as opposed to the WiiRemote + MotionPlus not have to calibrate it as much? I find that my WR + MP combo loses calibration quite quickly.

I just completed the first silent world, a bit easy but quite tense and fun. It's terrifying when if you get discovered, I didn't realise I was holding the A button down and then I ran out of stamina so they got me.

I played through most of the game using the MotionPlus attachment on a standard wii remote and don't remember having to recalibrate it at all.
Just to be sure, your talking about laying the controller down flat and letting it calibrate and not pressing down on the d-pad right?

czk

Typical COD gamer
I thought it was my favourite Wii game, until I recently played Xenoblade.
Seriously, if you liked SS do yourself a favor and buy XB. It's story is far better and the world is like a thousand times bigger. I'm shocked they managed to do this on the Wii. Also there's no handholding and the game is pretty hardcore (those high level enemies on the field, wow).

Madouu

I didn't finish the game. I wanted to love it but after playing Bethesda RPG's I just don't care about Link and Zelda anymore. Plus I loathe the wiimote.

I understand that you would like Bethesda's RPGs (Morrowind is up there with the best games I've played) and that you would dislike the Legend of Zelda games. But I don't exactly understand the comparison here seeing as how they are totally different games. I don't get how your enjoyment or discovery of one precise franchise would affect another totally different one. Unless you meant that after playing open world rpgs you have realized that you get more enjoyment from these than more linear/closed games.

I thought it was my favourite Wii game, until I recently played Xenoblade.
Seriously, if you liked SS do yourself a favor and buy XB. It's story is far better and the world is like a thousand times bigger. I'm shocked they managed to do this on the Wii. Also there's no handholding and the game is pretty hardcore (those high level enemies on the field, wow).

Same as above even if it is a different context.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ruining it for the rest of us.

Somehow people managed to jump in at OoT, are people that much dumber now?

The training stuff was extra filler though. In previous games, your first battle or the part where you have to shoot down the beehive are the "training" parts, but in this game you have to do those in addition to the boxed off training ground stuff.

Yes, that is the idea. Sometimes it would not fix it though. The beetle would be the worst, it could get stuck in one direction and no amount of recalibrating would fix it. I would have to restart the game, taking the batteries out of the controller wouldn't even fix it. Seems to me to be a software issue.

That's weird. The most noticable problem I had was when you didn't swing your sword and the angle didn't match up at all, but even that was fixed by either doing a few skyward strikes or just doing the regular recalibration. Did you ever try with a different Wiimote?

leroidys

That's weird. The most noticable problem I had was when you didn't swing your sword and the angle didn't match up at all, but even that was fixed by either doing a few skyward strikes or just doing the regular recalibration. Did you ever try with a different Wiimote?

The only WM+ remote I had was the gold one it came with. Since then I got a black one with Flingsmash for $8, I should try that one out.

v1oz

The Zelda series could do with some more developed RPG elements like quests, magic potions, spells, armour upgrades etc. In fact after playing the Witcher 2. I'm convinced Zelda should without question be an action RPG.

The Zelda series could do with some more developed RPG elements like quests, magic potions, spells, armour upgrades etc. In fact after playing the Witcher 2. I'm convinced Zelda should without question be an action RPG.

Many of us would love a more modern take on Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, but Nintendo has made it pretty clear over the last several games that it's not the direction they want to take the franchise.

Is this sarcastic? There's everything in Skyward Sword (but not that much like in a regular RPG, because it isn't a RPG).

dLMN8R

Finally got around to playing this! I'm about 4 hours in, going through Skyview Temple now.

It's slow to start for sure, and has some annoying elements like dialog being too frequent and slow, but it's still nice to return to an adventure game like this after so long :)

I imagine that getting through Skyview Temple is the "tutorial" part the reviews bitched about, and it picks up quite a bit from there?

Top Bottom