• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for Wii U? wtf? [Up: Now at Best Buys]

boyshine

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD would look amazing. Here's hoping they use the textured style from the artwork. It's still a weird decision though, unless it's part of the unified account setup. Download for $10 if you bought the 3DS eShop version - or full price if you don't own a 3DS.

GimMick

The revelation of a Wii U SKU for LM2 doesn't make sense now, considering a 3DS bundle with this game is on the way for BF.

I would have called bullshit... if a port of DKCR didn't already happen this year ! Maybe it will pop up next year to fill a gap.

Nibel

Because the sinking ship theme matches the Wii U so well, obviously.

iMRIEPnGvUb9y.gif

DrWong

If there's some true in this I think a Wii U port of GCN Luigi game makes more sense.

With the quaterly results stuff next week and this revived rumour, plus Eatchildren clear confirmation of Bayonnetta Ultimate Hardcore Definitive Total Complete Über Edition coming digital on Wii U, a NinDirect is very likely.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, thinking about, I suppose it wouldn't be unusual for this to be an error.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon Wii U has a UPC number of 045496680145, and the model code CTRNAGGE. Googling either brings up results, as others have mentioned. Issue is that CTRNAGGE is not a Wii U registry code. It's a 3DS code. It is different to the 3DS version by one letter, the latter reading CTRPAGGE. 045496680145, however, does not show up as a registered UPC code.

I guess someone could have hit the wrong database numbers. After all, CTRNAGGE isn't being drawn by the main Best Buy site, but instead their business subsidiary. If an issue did occur somewhere in a database, it wouldn't be just one site getting the wrong readings. It would be multiple. And that's what gives you multiple incorrect listings from different retailers. A lot of this stuff is automated.

LOCK

Nintendo's financials are going to be released Oct. 30, with the PowerPoint by Iwata being the 31. Coincidence I think not. Special Halloween surprise/direct.

Shiggy

It's third party. Dunno who is publishing though, or if it's physical or digital. Again, could be fluff, don't know the specifics, don't get excited. EDIT: I like teasing but I also hate being that guy who goes OHOHOH RUMORZ RUMORZ IM IN THE KNOW HOHOHO NOT GONNA TELL, even if that's sadly the case. I dunno. I've learned things in the past through the usual channels that has been very accurate and reliable. This is not through the usual channels, second/third hand, and I can see why the actual source could make a mistake and not necessarily be fully informed. I also don't think it's a massive game changer nor anything to flip your shit about, just one of those "So apparently this is getting a port", "Oh, okay, cool".

It's not Red Steel 2.

This is a game changer.

Let's hope you are not talking about n-Space ;)

Possum

I won't. Had enough if this bollocks and I'm amazed that most people here are just soon happy for whatever Nintendo dishes out as opposed to saying 'Bugger you'

Well, to be fair, I don't think anyone ever actually says "bugger you."

Sendou

Nintendo's financials are going to be released Oct. 30, with the PowerPoint by Iwata being the 31. Coincidence I think not. Special Halloween surprise/direct.

There's stuff they have announced for this year with still no concrete info. GBA VC on Wii U and 3DS Miiverse come to mind. Certainly a Direct of some sort isn't too far fetched.

@EatChildren - I hope it's Bayonetta!

Anyway, the most important thing is when did you hear about this port? I have heard of Wii U ports too through reliable channels (Mickey, Battlefield, Castlevania, etc), but it seems publishers are losing interest and canceling their Wii U projects, the system is bombing after all, so even if your source is legit, the game might be in limbo.

Come to think of it, they had probably always planned this for a Wii U release. The framerate dips on 3DS version start to become suspect. They probably wanted to end the Year of Luigi with a bang.
Hum? I finished LM2 a few weeks ago and the frame rate is fine. The game runs amazingly well on the 3DS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I heard about it within the last week. It "makes sense" to me, I can see why the original source of the rumour might know (due to relatable, believable reasons), but I also can't entirely vouch for them and can see why they'd be mistaken. If it's true, I can understand it and believe it because it's not outrageous. But if it's not I wouldn't be overly surprised, simply because it's not a usual channel.

I'm just being a dick at this point.

That Luigi Mansion team needs to learn how to make Wii U games. HD development is hard

Wo7ldn't be surprised if Miyamoto is recommending his teams to make ports first to get familiar with the the hardware.

That Luigi Mansion team needs to learn how to make Wii U games. HD development is hard

Wo7ldn't be surprised if Miyamoto is recommending his teams to make ports first to get familiar with the the hardware.

That wouldn't be a bad thing if they are able to port it while working on another game. It seemed to help the Zelda team a lot, and it didn't take up much of their time.

Shinta

Banned
They probably are making a sequel, Dark Moon was a huge success, but that's takes time. This game is 6 months old for goodness' sake. If this port exists, it's something quick and dirty to pad out the release schedule, just like the God of War PSP to PS3 ports.

Yeah in that Iwata Asks, I thought they said they worked on Dark Moon for 2-3 years.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm still skeptical on this one.

Though in general, given how little development time Wind Waker took I do not know why Nintendo doesn't have a devoted team churning out HD ports/remakes to fill in the gaps.

People will clearly buy them and they can be nice transitions from one big title to the next.

Shiggy

Yeah in that Iwata Asks, I thought they said they worked on Dark Moon for 2-3 years.

Yeah, you also need to consider that NLG is pretty much a C-tier developer. Without close supervision and input from NCL, their titles turn out badly. That's why Miyamoto scrapped all of the original LM2 bosses, that's why the game was delayed by more than a year, and that's why other publishers don't want to work with them unless it's some low budget stuff (Ghost Recon, Captain America; Spider-Man).

Anyway, they already have some experience with the Wii U as they worked on the Wii U Chat.

Ridley327

Let's say this does happen. Who would be handling it? Next Level Games or one of the EAD studios?

I'd have to think it would be Next Level themselves. They already have console development experience from this gen, and Luigi's Mansion 2 would likely scale pretty well as is. I'm sure it would get additional benefits, but there's not a massive amount of work needing to be done.

...unless, in my wildest hopes and dreams, they decide to remove the fourth boss from existence and replace it with something else.

DedValve

Banned
Any truth that 3D World was a 3DS game this time last year?

It could have very well started as a 3DS game, not that Nintendo will ever confirm. But that doesn't change the fact that a game like 3D world has a massively increased scope than it would have on the 3DS and looks incredible.

That said I still believe that 3D World was going to be a 3DS game.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If this is true, I really hope Nintendo fixes the broken save system in Luigi's Mansion from the 3DS version. I hated keeping my 3DS in standby mode draining battery life just because I couldn't save the game.

Regiruler

If this is true, I really hope Nintendo fixes the broken save system in Luigi's Mansion from the 3DS version. I hated keeping my 3DS in standby mode draining battery life just because I couldn't save the game.

You don't keep it in standby anyway for Streetpass like your kinda supposed to?

How long exactly are you going without a chance for power?

BowieZ

Banned
Any truth that 3D World was a 3DS game this time last year?
The idea of it makes no sense. Not even "Nintendo sense".

Forgetting that it's by EAD Tokyo, who've most likely been working on it since Galaxy 2 in 2010 (when 3D Land was being conceptualised)...

Nintendo had very few key first-party titles lined up for Holiday 2013 (Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, and possibly Donkey Kong, and at the time Wind Waker HD was probably just a back-up plan), yet possibly too many 3DS titles (Zelda, Pokemon, MoHu, Mario Party). Furthermore, there would be no need -- nay, it would be stupid -- to put another 3D Mario title on the thing, eating into each other's evergreen sales.

Top Bottom