• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon has been renamed Luigi's Mansion 2 in Europe

Dawg

Renamed? Only the American name ever got changed. Nobody has ever changed 'Luigi's Mansion 2' over here, it's the American name that changed to Dark Moon.

I don't think so. I remember playing the game at a Nintendo party and it was called Dark Moon. (Europe)

Also, this image (Pegi = Europe):

luigis_mansion_dark_moon_boxart_possible.jpg

KNT-Zero

I like that. The dark subtitle is way too overused lately.
I also noticed that EU titles tend to have better names, with Wario Land Wii as one of the better examples (and covers).

Neiteio

By the way, the game sounds utterly fantastic. The "ScareScraper" mode can be played in single-player, or with up to three teammates, locally AND online AND download play, in five-level, 10-level, even infinite-level mansions, with a huge cast of ghosts to fight, dividing and conquering or teaming up against them, and a boss battle every fifth floor. Titles are given out at the end like "Leecher" and "Mostly Harmless" depending on how you did. And in single-player, journalists recently got to try the first boss battle (there are five mansions, broken up into multiple missions), and the consensus is unanimous: super-creative and clever stuff. :)

Sendou

Well makes sense. Glad to see Nintendo considering 3DS a viable platform for full-fledged sequels (see Mario Kart 7 from before)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like that. The dark subtitle is way too overused lately.
I also noticed that EU titles tend to have better names, with Wario Land Wii as one of the better examples (and covers).

On the other hand, their Animal Crossing Wii subtitle was hilariously awful.

noffles

Banned
I don't think so. I remember playing the game at a Nintendo party and it was called Dark Moon. (Europe)

If it was the E3 demo, you need to remember that it was meant to be shown at a US event. They're not going to change that on the fly for different regions, surely?

javac

Well, yes. But it was also originally like that in the US. Then it changed, and it also changed in Europe. Guy I quoted said it never changed in Europe, but it did afaik.

Its pretty strange, going back and forth. Is the move back to calling it Luigi's Mansion 2 in Europe definite now?

It was also said be called Dark Race at one point...

bumpkin

Dark Moon is the better subtitle, and will be less intimidating to the people who haven't played the original Luigi's Mansion.
I see what you did there.

Still, I think they should just go with "2" for all territories. I mean I get that maybe the Dark Moon subtitle means something in terms of the game's story, but still, they never subtitled the Mario games based on setting/story.

javac

It would appear that way, since they changed up the "2" graphic from what it was at E3 2011.

At first I preferred the original 2, but now I look at it, the new design actually looks like a ghost lol.

I was super hyped for it at first, then it dropped off my radar. I couldn't even be bothered to pre-order it, but now I'm excited again! Have it pre-ordered for £28!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Pointless but then NoE love changing every title they can. Just be thankful it wasn't their usual style and changed to 'Professor Egad's Ghost Hoovering Game: Luigi's Mansion 2 The Moon'.

Neiteio

Has Iwata done an Iwata Asks with Next Level Games before? Maybe for Punch-Out Wii, or Mario Strikers Charged? I'm always intrigued by Western devs who get to work on Nintendo properties. I'd love to hear the histories of the people who work there, especially as it pertains to their taste for Nintendo games.

javac

Pointless but then NoE love changing every title they can. Just be thankful it wasn't their usual style and changed to 'Professor Egad's Ghost Hoovering Game: Luigi's Mansion 2 The Moon'.

Ehhh, it was 2 originally...then it was changed to Dark moon and now its back to its original, rightful and proper name. Not really pointless, I'm sure having it called LM:2 will give it the perception of being better/higher quality.

Qurupeke

NoE? I'm pretty sure it was NoA that change the title.

javac

Has Iwata done an Iwata Asks with Next Level Games before? Maybe for Punch-Out Wii, or Mario Strikers Charged? I'm always intrigued by Western devs who get to work on Nintendo properties. I'd love to hear the histories of the people who work there, especially as it pertains to their taste for Nintendo games.

mainimg01.jpg

Punch-Out!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

They did one for Punch-Out but no NLG employees were apart of it. :/

I definitely think we'll get one (with NLG employees) this time around, hell they did one for ZombiU (and to use a more apt comparison, Retro for DKCR.)

So this we got: 50hz inferior VC but Luigi's Mansion superior name.

You win some...

(I am still a little disappointed this isn't a Wii U game, but whatever. It will be awesome, I am sure).

Neiteio

In the GameXplain preview, they say the boss fight in the first mansion of Dark Moon is more clever and compelling than all of the portrait ghosts in the original game combined. High praise, indeed -- we shall see!

In the GameXplain preview, they say the boss fight in the first mansion of Dark Moon is more clever and compelling than all of the portrait ghosts in the original game combined. High praise, indeed -- we shall see!

I hope so. Assuming that first boss is the big-brain library ghost we keep seeing I'm a bit disappointed in the ghost designs so far; the original game had all these cool humanoid designs you barley ever see in your regular Mario game. LM2 still looks very distinct from the super clean NSMB-aesthetic, but a bit more off-kilterness and grim to give Luigi his own visual identity would be cool.

Kinda like how Wario's games always have this crazy and sometimes gross japanese humor style to them, DK's has a more realistic and ambient style and Yoshi's always have a soft, paper-craft/crayon style.

disco

Luigi's Mansion 2 is WAY better.

I personally believe the name was only changed to Dark Moon when it was originally going to come out last winter when it would have clashed too much with NSMB2.

Bleep

I hope this doesn't mean the multiplayer will be locked between regions. The lack of parity between NoE and NoA is really confusing and frustrating for someone like myself who likes to play games with people from different regions.

okay, now I'll be so disappointed if the next Smash won't feature a Luigi's Mansion arena with ghosts and vacuums

There was a Luigi's Mansion in Brawl if I remember correctly. Don't think it had any vacuums though. My memory is terrible, so I could be making all of this up.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
There was a Luigi's Mansion in Brawl if I remember correctly. Don't think it had any vacuums though. My memory is terrible, so I could be making all of this up.

I have no memory of that. Gotta check it out

okay, you're correct, Brawl indeed featured a LM stage. Mustn't have played it a lot, though, heh

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Luigi's Mansion stage in Brawl is one of my absolute favorites.

It's a very fair stage too. Also, DAT MUSIC. Best remix in the game by far.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Luigi's Mansion 2 is a much better name than Dark Moon. Skip the subtitles, publishers. They make your games look like spin-offs instead of proper sequels.

Subtle

Luigi's Mansion: Let's Go to the Mansion!

hatchx

Banned
they should atleast call it Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon. not putting the 2 makes it seem like a remake

While I agree, I don't think people will confuse this as a remake. What did Luigi's Mansion sell on GCN anyways? 3-4 million? I think most of the audience who buys this game will be playing Luigi's Mansion for the first time.

Neiteio

I hope so. Assuming that first boss is the big-brain library ghost we keep seeing I'm a bit disappointed in the ghost designs so far; the original game had all these cool humanoid designs you barley ever see in your regular Mario game.
Nope. The boss at the end of the first mansion is a
giant spirit-possessed spider
. Wildly different from anything in the first game. There's a lot to the battle, but Nintendo is forbidding reporters from talking about what happens.

PK Gaming

2 is better than Dark Moon

Dark Moon sounds like it would belong in a Sailor Moon anime title

SUPER SAILOR MOON: THE DARK MOON

Top Bottom