• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon has been renamed Luigi's Mansion 2 in Europe

Cool, didn't really like Dark Moon.

Also, cool bit of art from the other thread:

jyjoDR6sHgfpL.jpg

Well, I sure hope ghost designs become better than this abomination.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The art style in this game definitely feels more holistic than the original game.

Dark Moon was a terrible subtitle although I'm not sure why it gets a full number upgrade for a somewhat stripped down version.

Eh, it works.

Neiteio

The Dark Moon is a magic crystal. At the start of the game, E.Gadd is studying ghosts, using the Dark Moon to keep them under control. But then the Dark Moon breaks and the ghosts go bananas. You have to track down the shards to save the day.

Hah. Whenever I see the name Dark Moon, I always think of the Twilight films.

On a slightly different note, this sequel has been a long time coming. Wasn't the first released in 2001? This is not far off 13 years later. I'd be interested to know if any other games have left it as long or even longer for a sequel.

Neiteio

Hah. Whenever I see the name Dark Moon, I always think of the Twilight films.

On a slightly different note, this sequel has been a long time coming. Wasn't the first released in 2001? This is not far off 13 years later. I'd be interested to know if any other games have left it as long or even longer for a sequel.
Yeah, the announcement of a Luigi's Mansion sequel was a huge surprise at E3 2011, the only announcement that made me audibly gasp. The year before, the equivalent was the news of a fourth Donkey Kong Country, and the return of Kid Icarus, Pilotwings and Nintendogs.

gerudoman

Man, I'm SO pumped for the game... one of the reasons I decided to buy a 3DS. Europe still doesn't have a date for it, right? I wouldn't like to wait a month since the American release for no apparent reason like we did with Stick Star.

Tuck

This is what the game was originally announced as, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, you are correct. Dunno why they would change it, then change it back. Doesn't matter to me. Either name is ok. Dark Moon is probably more inviting to someone who has never played the original.

Neiteio

Unfortunately, there seems to be only 5 five of them...
It seems that way, yes. But those five are each divided into multiple missions -- at least six missions in the first mansion -- and there is a ton of hidden stuff to find, like invisible objects you can only reveal with the Dark Light. So, I think we'll get some mileage out of this one. Also remember: The ScareScraper mode can be played in single-player, as well, and you can set the floors to infinite, each floor randomized like a roguelike. :O

Neiteio

I do wonder if the decision to stick with the Dark Moon subtitle in the U.S. is NOA's faith there will be many more Luigi's Mansion games to come...

Calling it Luigi's Mansion 2 is a better idea IMO. Make it feel like a sequel, not a spin off.
I would rather have them keep the sequel open to being make on the WiiU... just imagine Luigi's Mansion 2 with the WiiU!

I dunno, either way, I am excited to get more Luigi's Mansion. I always play that game during Halloween like yearly. It is weird how people (maybe GAF only) turned around on that game. I remember hearing a lot of people panning the game because it was short and no replayability, but I thought the atmosphere, graphics and different gameplay (at the time) was enough alone to make it a freaking great game. Now I wouldn't give it a 10/10, but I don't think I'd give it a 6/10 either...

Neiteio

I would rather have them keep the sequel open to being make on the WiiU... just imagine Luigi's Mansion 2 with the WiiU!

I dunno, either way, I am excited to get more Luigi's Mansion. I always play that game during Halloween like yearly. It is weird how people (maybe GAF only) turned around on that game. I remember hearing a lot of people panning the game because it was short and no replayability, but I thought the atmosphere, graphics and different gameplay (at the time) was enough alone to make it a freaking great game. Now I wouldn't give it a 10/10, but I don't think I'd give it a 6/10 either...
Luigi's Mansion on GameCube is like a pure shot of concentrated awesomeness. You can beat it in one sitting, but you're constantly doing different things, each room and portrait ghost requiring a different approach, and to get the best mansion in the end you have to be thorough (and creative) wringing every last gold bar and gemstone from every nook and cranny. It's just a visual delight, too -- even now, the ghosts don't strike me as "polygonal," but rather animate with such fluid elasticity that I see them and simply think of them as GHOSTS. :)

There's something almost Claymation about Luigi's face on that boxart.
Yeah, I love the hyper-porous, almost clay-like look of Luigi in the new renders. It reminds me of the technique used on the stone heads on the Koopalings' airships in NSMBU. :)

Resilient

Re : controls. Is this gonna destroy my circle pad due to controls? Am I gonna have to smash it around like crazy every ghost encounter?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Has the theme song been posted yet?

http://youtu.be/KnUwYCS_cpE

I kind of like it, but it doesn't sound as creepy as the original one...of course, I still regret we never the very first Luigi's Mansion track from the E3 trailer was never in the game

Uugh, I HATED that "song." Awful awful, made me terrified they were using that in place of the real theme song. Edit- Ohhhhhhhhh wait I thought you meant the LM2 E3 trailer song.

The new song is good, not as good as the Brawl rendition but I knew nothing would ever top that. New version is very "regal."

eternalb

Uugh, I HATED that "song." Awful awful, made me terrified they were using that in place of the real theme song.

Oh man, I loved it. It has a creepiness and richness to it the in-game one can't even touch. The one in the game is more background music, with Luigi's humming having to pick up the slack. But I do agree nothing will touch the Brawl one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My mistake, thought you were talking about LM2. :p

Yeah, that version's pretty good.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Has the theme song been posted yet?

http://youtu.be/KnUwYCS_cpE

I kind of like it, but it doesn't sound as creepy as the original one...of course, I still regret we never the very first Luigi's Mansion track from the E3 trailer was never in the game

That's not the theme song. That's E. Gadd's theme :p. Pretty sure you can hear it in one of the gameplay videos, I'll try looking for it.

Edit: Here it is

I actually hope that E3 trailer song IS the theme, I didnt like it at first but it's grown on me so much, it's its own thing for sure.

Neiteio

There's more than one theme in the new game, guys, including a new arrangement of the first game's theme. :)

Also, the new artwork for King Boo (seen in that Game Xplain video) is neat!

Top Bottom