• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon has online multiplayer (OP updated)

Subtle

Notice that the article is almost 15 months old and said that the game would come out early 2012?

That info is/could be outdated

Well yeah, I'm not saying this confirms anything. But, if the mistake has happened before, it could have happened again.

elektrixx

Banned
Local? Well then I don't give a fuck.

Nintendo still thinks we all live in some happy land where we don't go to work and all live in the same house.

blamite

It'll probably be really fun, but also under-played, just like the DS Zeldas and Pikmin 2 multiplayer. It's not like Nintendo to just tack on multiplayer if it's not something worthwhile.
What if it isn't just local? The Luigi's Mansion cover has the lable about Online Interactions not rated

It's the label every title where players can play / interact through online must have.

That seems to be a good indication of online multiplayer to me, at first I though it could just be referring to DLC, but NSMB2 doesn't seem to have that label, and that game has DLC but no online multiplayer.

eternalb

GameXplain was teasing something on their Twitter a few days ago about Dark Moon. Maybe this is it?

Just got back from another hour with Dark Moon! Can't post the preview until next week, but you'll definitely want to check it out.

Artemisia

Banned
The box mentions online interactions though...

It (them writing local) must be a mistake. I highly doubt they put the nintendo network logo and the online interaction warning on the box by accident.

Effect

If there is just local multiplayer then this isn't going to be bought unless it's put on sale. I have no use for local multiplayer and don't want to pay full price for modes I'm never going to use. Taking the same stance with Pikmin 3 as well. The exception would be if the single player is so robust and long but that certainly won't be the case with Luigi's Mansion.

But you would have bought it for the exact same price if it was just the single player game that's still there? Wild.

It's going to be lovely, and a multiplayer mode could be good; I'd like a nice, gentle co-op mode ideally, but I'm interested in seeing what why could do with it.

Remember, certain game designs don't lend themselves to online multiplayer, so it's not an immediate condemnation if a game doesn't include it. My go to example is always NSMB--multiplayer is built almost entirely around griefing other players, which is good fun locally but miserable online. To include online MP they'd have to alter their design.

Nintendo Land's Luigi Mansion is another game that wouldn't work online. I hope that game is the multiplayer mode in the 3DS game, that would be rad.

zroid

Banned
What if it isn't just local? The Luigi's Mansion cover has the lable about Online Interactions not rated

It's the label every title where players can play / interact through online must have.

Maybe. But I would guess it's DLC maps for the multiplayer mode. Which, if it's local, also indicates to me that it'll be single card. So, yay!

I remember awhile ago there was an error on Nintendo's website listing the game as multiplayer, but it was confirmed as a singleplayer game.

EDIT: Yeah http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/11/luigis_mansion_2_is_not_multiplayer_after_all November, 2011

Ironically, that time I believe it was shown as 1-2 players in the info bar, and was later confirmed to be single player. This time it says multiplayer in the actual description, but 1 player in the info bar!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The Luigi's Horror Picture Show?

000syg1h

Hale-XF11

Teaser site is up. Local only multi-player confirmed.

http://luigismansion.nintendo.com/

With so many new places to explore, all new ways to capture ghosts, and a brand new local multiplayer mode, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is another star turn for Mario's heroic brother—and it's only on Nintendo 3DS.

Find a local 3DS Streetpass meetup group and play Luigi's Mansion multi-player with them. If the purpose of the gathering is for 3DS meet and greet, it's not going to creep them out.

I actually tried organizing something like this once and no one showed up, lol.

its nintendo.....so itll be fun. if you can find someone else with the game in your vacinity. cause online is just too much to ask for.

hope im proven wrong.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I live in the UK, trying to find someone with a 3DS is like trying to find a unicorn.

They must exist though, because I get street pass hits occasionally.

Would have appreciated online play, but I wasn't going to buy it for it's multiplayer anyway.

I am from the UK and in the london area, I also have a 3DS

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Single cart play, we'll definitely do the multiplayer and/or co-op. Multicart play.. well.. nope. Only Mario Kart, MonHan and Animal Crossing get that treatment from us.

Artemisia

Banned
Teaser site is up. Local only multi-player confirmed.

http://luigismansion.nintendo.com/

That's where the OP got his information from.

And the box art still has the nintendo network logo as well as the disclaimer about the ESRB not rating online interactions, which together indicate online multiplayer.

Games that have the nintendo network icon alone simply have some sort of downloadable content like Professor Layton's daily puzzles and the spot pass maps in Fire Emblem. But the disclaimer about online interaction is needed for games that have a multiplayer option online.

There has to be a mistake on the site.

Kid Icarus is ace online on 3DS, why isn't it happening more with Nintendo games!!? They often make such wonderful multiplayer experiences, they could nail online if they wanted to. I guess they don't :(

MCN

Banned
Local multiplayer shits all over online bollocks from a very great height indeed. For a start, it means actual social interaction with actual friends who you can see, and drink beer with, instead of trying to talk over a shitty headset with atrocious sound quality.

topplehat

Local multiplayer shits all over online bollocks from a very great height indeed. For a start, it means actual social interaction with actual friends who you can see, and drink beer with, instead of trying to talk over a shitty headset with atrocious sound quality.

Sure, but it would be nice to have both. I don't have any friends with a 3DS.

Wish they would've done online with Starfox too.

Ridley327

Kid Icarus is ace online on 3DS, why isn't it happening more with Nintendo games!!? They often make such wonderful multiplayer experiences, they could nail online if they wanted to. I guess they don't :(

I mentioned this in a thread long ago, but Nintendo really doesn't have a company-wide mandate for online mutliplayer and leaves it up to the individual teams to do on their own accord. I don't think Miyamoto has ever been big on online play, and since he's involved with this game, I wouldn't be surprised if he told Next Level to not worry about it.

Local play is great, but since I am now mid-30's and married, and my only 3DS owning friends live 30 miles away, local play doesn't really work. Nobody else I know owns a 3DS.

Also, online multiplayer is amazing when done well, Nintendo should be doing it. Fuck me, PSP had online games on it and it was cool.

Details are in this week's Famitsu. There's something on it here, though Google Translate is typically useless beyond that.

Has download play, local play & internet play.

Siliconera is correct.

Does it include online play.. or like.. some internet stuff?

Download Play, Local Play, Internet play.

New feature: Dark Light. The shadow of things that have been disappeared by cursed spheres (?) will appear when shone with this light.

Capturing the Sphere that will jump out when you shine the light on the area will return the object.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah that would be nice if people I knew actually owned 3DS systems.

ultron87

Hopefully it is a co-op mode requiring constant communication that would be garbage over the Internet. Because those are fun, and I actually know 2 other people with 3DSes.

Ugh, why must we wait until thursday to find out just what the hell the multiplayer is?

It must be something worthwhile at least if they did bother to make it playable online. Would be awesome if it was a play on NintendoLand's LM game but with an entire mansion and a team of ghost VS a team of busters. Hope they surprise me with something great.

Luigi's Mansion seems to be turning out to be the Kid Icarus of 2013.

DrWong

Siliconera is correct.

New feature: Dark Light. The shadow of things that have been disappeared by cursed spheres (?) will appear when shone with this light.

Capturing the Sphere that will jump out when you shine the light on the area will return the object.

Happy. Very.

This week is full of interesting announcements for Nintendo owner.

Ridley327

Ugh, why must we wait until thursday to find out just what the hell the multiplayer is?

It must be something worthwhile at least if they did bother to make it playable online. Would be awesome if it was a play on NintendoLand's LM game but with an entire mansion and a team of ghost VS a team of busters. Hope they surprise me with something great.

Luigi's Mansion seems to be turning out to be the Kid Icarus of 2013.

A 3DS game that's virtually unplayable for a good chunk of gamers?

73V3N

Banned

Siliconera is correct.

Yesssssssssss.

Day one now.

Top Bottom