• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macworld's analysis of E3 - Nintendo/MS/Sony are "complacent swine", "out of touch"

Lebron

ymmv said:
Apple fans don't use phones but iPhones, they don't have an MP3 player but an iPod, they don't surf the internet with just any browser but Safari, they don't do their work on a laptop but on a Macbook Pro, they don't use a monitor but a Cinema Display, because god forbid people might get the impression they're just your average computer user.
and I said "damn" :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dark FaZe said:
I actually agree with him to some extent. I'm not so much of a fan of him comparing anything to Mac or Apple so much as just agreeing with some of his points on the industry starting to feel fairly stagnant.

I don't know if I'm becoming overly jaded as a gamer, or if it's just the fact that I'm getting older, but it's becoming harder and harder for me to achieve a ton of hype for gaming these days. A vast majority of it is almost surely due to me having more important things to do with my time, but it doesn't help that almost every game I play feels like something I could have played 4 years ago while I was in high school or middle school.

"The sky is the limit" has always been the motto for gaming for me. The huge jump between the Atari to the NES, from the NES to the SNES/Genesis, to the PS1/64 era, major upgrades in PC hardware and online gaming, and then PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast. Everything was gravy until we ran into what feels like a brickwall with this current generation of systems, which seem to just upgrade and offer different options in smaller ways rather than the huge jumps that gamers have always had the privilege of experiencing.

Playing PSO in 2001 for the Dreamcast or Unreal Tournament 99 You would think that 10 years from those releases we would be something absolutely amazing...the same thing with say World of Warcraft or Counter-strike. It was an absolutely brilliant time for technology that has leveled off in a bad way starting around 2005.

10 years later instead though we're seeing games like Monster Hunter or Modern Warfare...all great games but look at how much they could use as reference and how much time has gone by and tell me that you're truly satisfied?

I don't know, maybe some of you are, me personally I'm not. The games these days are REALLY solid, but I feel like I haven't left the PS2 gen yet...I'm getting burnt out on these games.

I told my friend after E3 that I wouldn't mind seeing a "gaming lockout" not unlike sports. That isn't really plausible...for the entire industry to just shut down for a year or two and emerge bigger and better than before, but it was an interesting discussion. I've seriously considered just taking some years off from gaming and getting my shit together and hopefully having something drastically more interesting to fool around with in 2013...but I'm just too big of a gamer to ever fully let go.
It's funny because since 2005 the industry has changed more than ever:

-Steam and direct download
-DLC
-Internet connected consoles and standard online play
-rise of WOW
-Upgradable console firmware which performs many functions, gaming and otherwise
-Motion controls
-Casual games
-Facebook gaming
-Two screens on one device
-HD graphics
-and yeah the rise of iPhone,iPod touch and iPad.. Which I would rank about equal to all these developments... though not some sort of greater cure for stagnation compared to the rest.

Future said:
Haha really. Apple thrives off the their audiences desire to keep rebuying the same shit with new tweaks. They have successfully transferred the idea of milking franchises to milking hardware.

I look forward to his scathing piece on iPhone: New Hat edition later this year :lol

goddammit, i'm typing this on my 27-inch imac with my iphone and ipad right in front of me (seriously) and this tool makes me embarrassed to admit that.

BTW, the best game on my ipad is a vector remake of robotron

also this is another fool who mistakes reusing characters/franchises for actual replicated game mechanics

loosus

Banned
Apple gains a foothold in a market (and it is not, by any means, dominant even there), and all of a sudden, Apple nutjobs come out of the woodwork ready to tell it how it is.

It's like they've never seen this song and dance before. This isn't the first time Apple has gained a foothold just to lose it later, you wackjobs. Get a little perspective before you start claiming doom on everybody else.

Mr Jared

Please don't confuse this clown for a representation of what your average Apple fan thinks of gaming. This is someone whose had a mental break.

Posted from an iPad LOLOLOLOL

Wizpig

Mama Robotnik said:
I do find it fascinating that some in the Apple media see it like this though.
I find it sad, not fascinating.
I'm posting from an iMac and I have an iPod Touch.
But this, this is just fanboyism.

Like that Microsoft related website (not sure if Microsoft owned or not, though), forgot the name, which basically said how Xbox won the E3 -- big time. yeah, ok...

Embarassing.

Opiate said:
And for just one thread, GAF is united in their focused hatred.

For now. It could stay that way if Apple GAF arrives and disowns this fool, but I'm really hoping that this ends up as an all-out battle-royale between Apple GAF and Nintendo GAF.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Opiate said:
Wasn't that the theory of a fascist state? The people united by their hatred of an outside enemy? :lol

Retro

FutureZombie said:
Dark Faze makes a good point about PSO. That game is 9 years old, and still has no rival on consoles. That is pathetic.

Seconding the comment on PSO, I've tried a ton of MMOs and Online RPGs and nothing compares. When do we get another amazing game like PSO?

Burger

I think a lot of his criticisms are valid, with the whole industry being a giant rehash and all. It is getting a bit over the top. I mean, Gears of War 3 looked like Gears of War 2 with new baddies.

The reason iPhone/iPod is eating mobile market share is that the games are like 3 bucks tops. It's affordable gaming, and Sony/Nintendo are moving far too glacially to compete.

Like Jobs said at D8 "Our recommendation to developers ? Price aggressively and go for volume."

Haunted

I'm still not 100% sure this isn't a reverse troll article designed to make Apple fanboys look bad, tbh.

Opiate said:
Until Liu Kang Baking A Pie comes along.
Only outspoken Apple fan on GAF I know by name, sorry.

Burger said:
I think a lot of his criticisms are valid, with the whole industry being a giant rehash and all. It is getting a bit over the top. I mean, Gears of War 3 looked like Gears of War 2 with new baddies.

The reason iPhone/iPod is eating mobile market share is that the games are like 3 bucks tops. It's affordable gaming, and Sony/Nintendo are moving far too glacially to compete.

Like Jobs said at D8 "Our recommendation to developers ? Price aggressively and go for volume."

So race for the bottom, then?

DiscoJer

Dark FaZe said:
I actually agree with him to some extent. I'm not so much of a fan of him comparing anything to Mac or Apple so much as just agreeing with some of his points on the industry starting to feel fairly stagnant.

It's somewhat ironic that you have a avatar from some sort of sport (I have no idea what).

Yet sports pretty much stay the same, rules wise, year after year after year. Some minor tweaks. But hockey is still hockey, baseball baseball, soccer soccer (or sometimes football) and so forth.

Do sports get stagnant? I guess for some, but for most, apparently not.

A lot of forms of entertainment are fairly stagnant. Movies. Even 3D is not something truly new, but goes in and out of style every 20-30 years (50s...80s...10s). But sheesh, they are doing a remake of The Legend of Boggy Creek, which clearly shows they are out of new ideas.

When was the last time a major new music genre was made? Rap/hip-hop? That was 35 years ago. Even what I listen to, trance is now like 20 years old...

eznark

Banned
Haunted said:
I'm still not 100% sure this isn't a reverse troll article designed to make Apple fanboys look bad, tbh.

Until Liu Kang Baking A Pie comes along.
Only outspoken Apple fan on GAF I know by name, sorry.

GARYWHITTA
GARYWHITTA
GARYWHITTA

Wow, love the mac trolling like this is an Apple press release. :lol

Opiate said:

Huh? GAF trolls and turns to shit every Apple thread imaginable. Where have you been?

seady

With only a touch screen the iDevice will never become the dominant gaming system. At least not on the hardcore titles.

loosus

Banned
Burger said:
In the end, that's probably going to be only one tiny segment of the market, though.

Will people give up $3 games? Maybe not. But people have to be paid, and once the market is saturated with $3 games to the point that each game gets fewer sales, it's going to be damn hard for developers to live off $3 games.

So long story short, I think there will always be a market for excessively cheap games, but I don't see it becoming the dominant type in the long-term simply because we'll have lots of unemployed game developers if it stays that way.

SuperJay

I walked the floor of E3 until my flip-flops broke in protest at the mediocrity. When your footwear is sounding off about the originality of your industry, you know you're in a tough place.

You guys, he's right. His shoes told him so.

JWong

Banned
Burger said:
That's actually a bad thing. It probably will cause a collapse in the marketplace if the iPad doesn't give resurgence to the perceived value. If developers can't make money because everyone is competing at the dollar price, you'll see less developers on the iPhone.

DiscoJer

seady said:
With only a touch screen the iDevice will never become the dominant gaming system. At least not on the hardcore titles.

I think it's really up to the publishers. If they rush to put their games on it for only a few $$$, cheap prices will win out over buttons.

And indeed, in some cases, they've stopped supporting dedicated gaming platforms in favor of the iPhone. SFIV - not on the PSP, but on the iPhone. NCAA football, again, not on the PSP, but on the iPhone. Both pretty hardcore games, but the only handheld they'll be on is the iPhone.

Square is another example, they seem to be putting more of their PSP games on the iPhone than actually up on PSN to download. (First Final Fantasy 1 & 2, now a couple more that I can't remember).

Hopefully the 3DS will change this, but you never know. Gaming companies are quite shortsighted.

eznark

Banned
I had an iphone for three years and there were exactly zero excellent games on the platform. The only good games on there I see now are Plants v. Zombies (available elsewhere...though why not on DS yet!!?) and various Scrabble clones.

I weep if this is the future of gaming.

I say this fully aware of the irony of typing it on my iPhone: this is a textbook example of why people hate crazy-ass Apple fans. It is never enough to be successful, you have to have everyone recognize how brilliant Apple is for being succesful.

Top Bottom