• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macworld's analysis of E3 - Nintendo/MS/Sony are "complacent swine", "out of touch"

Wizpig

Ignis Fatuus said:
Never, you troglodyte.
Well, A Link to the Past :p and Ocarina of Time.
But yeah.
jim-jam bongs said:
For now. It could stay that way if Apple GAF arrives and disowns this fool, but I'm really hoping that this ends up as an all-out battle-royale between Apple GAF and Nintendo GAF.
"Apple GAF" is already here and they are facepalming harder than the rest of GAF.

Apple is not a gaming company, these kind of articles are just nonsense.
I can agree on the Activision@Goldeneye part; yeah, I can agree, that game is a sad move, imho.

But trolling Halo Reach, the 3DS or Zelda is just... the fact that this article is from Macworld (a renowed website, not AppleFanboyz4Evah.somethingsomething) is just... I don't even... it's like these fanboys want a gaming revolution, and think the App Store is going to start that.
Yeeeah, remember when we had buttons?! old stuff.

:/
People who stopped reading at "As I type this on my MacBook Pro in my air-conditioned hotel room in Los Angeles" made the right choice.
Sporty said:
It's probably trolling on purpose so they can get off on the anger and boost hits.

John Kvorak is kinda famous for doing this in the Apple community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMQv0j29WHA
Heh.
/adds Macworld to the blacklist

Glix

Burger said:
I think a lot of his criticisms are valid, with the whole industry being a giant rehash and all. It is getting a bit over the top. I mean, Gears of War 3 looked like Gears of War 2 with new baddies.

The reason iPhone/iPod is eating mobile market share is that the games are like 3 bucks tops. It's affordable gaming, and Sony/Nintendo are moving far too glacially to compete.

Like Jobs said at D8 "Our recommendation to developers ? Price aggressively and go for volume."

So the DSI paper airplane game is the right idea? Give me a fucking break.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As an Apple fan he sounds like a lot of similar geeks: mainly understanding technology and viewing innovation for innovation's sake as the goal. People like that don't understand entertainment.

Entertainment is a balance between surprising the audience and delivering what they want. A good example is the new Mortal Kombat game; predictable that the author would name drop that as an example of a creatively bankrupt industry - after all, hasn't Mortal Kombat been around forever?

But look at the reaction the new game has gotten: insane buzz. Why is that happening when the last three MK games elicited a yawn and a dwindling audience?

Because the new MK is /what people wanted to see/. Ironically, it achieved surprise precisely because the need for that kind of game in the MK series hadn't been met for 15 years. It doesn't matter if it has "Mortal Kombat" in the title, it is the game the audience wants.

Apple fans right now are like Sony fans circa 2005. Their "team" has come off of astounding success and the rise to the heavens seems assured and obvious, so naturally they're going to be insanely arrogant pricks.

DiscoJer

eznark said:
I had an iphone for three years and there were exactly zero excellent games on the platform. The only good games on there I see now are Plants v. Zombies (available elsewhere...though why not on DS yet!!?) and various Scrabble clones.

I weep if this is the future of gaming.

If this is the case, why the iPhone gaming thread here almost 300 pages long?

DiscoJer said:

As I type this on my ducking iphone, I have to say those people are ducking wrong.

eznark

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Because to the converted, Rolando is a masterpiece...instead of the mediocre motion game it is.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Burger said:
I think a lot of his criticisms are valid, with the whole industry being a giant rehash and all. It is getting a bit over the top. I mean, Gears of War 3 looked like Gears of War 2 with new baddies.
I bet many hardcore gamers aren't THAT interested in those titles either. Those big shooter franchises aren't completely what hardcore gaming is all about. Complaining about stagnation because of that is like complaining about the quality of modern film because Transformers 2.

Child of Eden, Journey, El Shiddai, Kid Icarus, Kirby Epic Yarn.. I couldn't get any of this stuff before! So people should can it with the "why do they always have to make new Halo, Gears, Killzone??" stuff. There's other games!

loosus

Banned
I love my fucking iPod Touch. It's great. A lot of the applications are extremely useful, and reading news on it when I'm away from home is a breeze. Checking mail is wonderful, too.

However, guess what? I still have a Windows-based laptop that I use. I still have a Windows-based PC that I use. I still have a DS that I use. Somehow, it didn't take any of them down a notch. It serves a neat purpose, but the entire idea of it being used as a Trojan horse is an outdated idea that should have went out with the idea of PSP being used as a Trojan horse of getting UMD movies into the mainstream.

Opiate

I propose an hypothesis: there are other "journalists" who are similarly ridiculous more closely entrenched within our own industry. However, because they tend to focus on Nintendo (or Microsoft or Sony), they aren't so uniformly ridiculed. It is only that this "journalist" is from outside of GAF's circle that we can uniformly agree on his insane bias, when similar journalistic biases exist that we defend every day. If some "journalist" felt Sony did fantastically and that MS/Nintendo were clearly on the verge of disaster, there would be people in this thread defending his rationality, or starting posts with "This journalist is too extreme, but there is a kernel of truth to his statement," and so forth.

I'm not entirely sure I believe that, but it probably isn't without some merit.

I agree with this article
but i disagree that apple is eating Nintendo's lunch,
maybe sony's psp lunch but not nintendo's.

Unless Apple transforms the iPod Touch to
compete in the hand held portable gaming machine,
I say Apple success with gaming on the iphone is because
majority of the software made for the App marketplace are games.

eznark

Banned
Opiate said:
I propose an hypothesis: there are other journalists who are similarly ridiculous more closely entrenched within our own industry. However, because they tend to focus on Nintendo (or Microsoft or Sony), they aren't so uniformly ridiculed. It is only that this journalist is from outside of GAF's circle that we can uniformly agree on his insane bias, when similar journalistic biases exist that we defend every day. If some journalist felt Sony did fantastically and that MS/Nintendo were clearly on the verge of disaster, there would be people in this thread defending his rationality, or starting posts with "This journalist is too extreme, but there is a kernel of truth to his statement," and so forth.

"journalists"

:lol

Since when did Apple become the new authority or voice in gaming?

Anyway, I find this laughable.

Wasn't it last year Apple was showing off their new games for the iPhone which was Madden, Need For Speed, FIFA, Civ Revolution, Assassin's Creed II, and a new sci-fi FPS called Nova from Gameloft, which was described as a Halo-like first person shooter?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6217042.html

And this guy is accusing Nintendo, Sony, and MS for turning out sequels or unoriginal ideas? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

BocoDragon

Opiate said:
I propose an hypothesis: there are other journalists who are similarly ridiculous more closely entrenched within our own industry. However, because they tend to focus on Nintendo (or Microsoft or Sony), they aren't so uniformly ridiculed. It is only that this journalist is from outside of GAF's circle that we can uniformly agree on his insane bias, when similar journalistic biases exist that we defend every day. If some journalist felt Sony did fantastically and that MS/Nintendo were clearly on the verge of disaster, there would be people in this thread defending his rationality, or starting posts with "This journalist is too extreme, but there is a kernel of truth to his statement," and so forth.

Naww.. We call out fanboy bias all the time. That's just such old hat for the Internet gaming community that it's become easily forgettable.

Hunahan

Banned
My favorite part is how he keeps saying they don't understand the audience, yet they will sell millions.

It's as if he doesn't understand the connection between the two.

X26

Banned
Apples recent success has been really, really unfortunate. Company itself is bad enough, but then you have the legions of mouth breathing fanboys who's only purpose in life is to worship the corporation

Patriots7

Nice to see Apple hate bridge the divide amongs the PS3/Wii/360 fans :D

Analysis is really lame. But there are some aspects that I could agree with if it wasn't so horrendously expressed.

iOS is going to continue to eat up marketshare of the portable gaming market. Nintendo will hold on to its marketshare for the most part, Sony's will all but be evaporated within a few years. Android isn't really making much headway with gaming. Microsoft could potentially throw a monkey wrench in Apple's plan with WinPho7's Xbox compatibility.

Console space has kind of left me jaded a bit as well. (MvC3 will take me out of my gaming slump though, hopefully)

Opiate said:
I propose an hypothesis: there are other "journalists" who are similarly ridiculous more closely entrenched within our own industry. However, because they tend to focus on Nintendo (or Microsoft or Sony), they aren't so uniformly ridiculed. It is only that this "journalist" is from outside of GAF's circle that we can uniformly agree on his insane bias, when similar journalistic biases exist that we defend every day. If some "journalist" felt Sony did fantastically and that MS/Nintendo were clearly on the verge of disaster, there would be people in this thread defending his rationality, or starting posts with "This journalist is too extreme, but there is a kernel of truth to his statement," and so forth.

If you say so. If you've ever been in an apple thread you know it's just cool to troll them because you know you won't ever get in trouble. Thus this full thread of "APPLE IS SO STUPID!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol" comments.

Vinci

Danish
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If you say so. If you've ever been in an apple thread you know it's just cool to troll them because you know you won't ever get in trouble. Thus this full thread of "APPLE IS SO STUPID!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol" comments.

Apple's not stupid at all. They're a very smart company, actually.

But this is a stupid article.

Talon

Opiate said:

There's some truth to this, but I believe you're truly discounting the nonsense of this article.

All we seem to do is mistakenly tie the (largely anonymous) author's opinions to the brand's (IGN, Joystiq, Kotaku, 1UP etc.) official line. See: the silly rage over that Engadget op-ed.

firex

this is the greatest apple troll in a long time. [disappointed tone]Gary Whitta could learn a thing or two from this article.[/disappointed tone]

dave_d

You know if you guys really wanted to troll that troll you could point out that Apple didn't do much right except when Jobs was running the company. You know, the guy with pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant. (Yeah, I know it's low but they are fanatics. Plus the only real Apple device I've owned is an iPod Nano which btw crashed on me which is amazing given that we are talking about a device that is mostly used to play back music.)

BocoDragon

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Yeah because tech oriented gaming forums just hate Apple right?

WTF?

If people hate on Apple here, that's just because it's reflective of people out in the real world actually hating Apple. GAF does not have a anti-Apple bias, or even Apple apathy. This is as close you can get to finding pro-Apple demographic outside of digital design communities or actual Apple communities.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Since when did Apple become the new authority or voice in gaming?

Anyway, I find this laughable.

Wasn't it last year Apple was showing off their new games for the iPhone which was Madden, Need For Speed, FIFA, Civ Revolution, Assassin's Creed II, and a new sci-fi FPS called Nova from Gameloft, which was described as a Halo-like first person shooter?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6217042.html

And this guy is accusing Nintendo, Sony, and MS for turning out sequels or unoriginal ideas? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Apple doesn't make games but here are some unique iphone games,

Space Invaders Infinity Gene
mzl.aqbwljcx.320x480-75.jpg

Eliss
eliss.jpg

Edge
3166842745_73d88415f9.jpg

Flight Control
flight-control_4.jpeg

Real Racing
firemint-real-racing-20090318053853675_640w_1244765227.jpg

Rolando
16181.png

Drop 7
drop7-apple-lg-73481538.jpg

Opiate

BocoDragon said:
Naww.. We call out fanboy bias all the time. That's just such old hat for the Internet gaming community that it's become easily forgettable.

I think this is a matter of perception. Fanboy bias is often "called out," but then, that same bias is also defended, because there simply are a great number of people on this forum with affection for the products Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony have produced. So instead of seeming like uniform ridicule, it results in an argument: those who say it's obvious journalistic bias, and those who vociferously argue that, at its heart, it represents an important truth. Or something.

This thread is different -- virtually everyone seems to agree that this represents gross bias. I'm arguing that it's a great deal easier for all of us to remain objective when the company this "journalist" argues in favor of is generally outside GAF's purview.

There's some truth to this, but I believe you're truly discounting the nonsense of this article.

All we seem to do is mistakenly tie the (largely anonymous) author's opinions to the brand's (IGN, Joystiq, Kotaku, 1UP etc.) official line. See: the silly rage over that Engadget op-ed.

That's a reasonable argument.

Vinci said:
Apple's not stupid at all. They're a very smart company, actually.

But this is a stupid article.

Completely agree.

BocoDragon said:
Yeah because tech oriented gaming forums just hate Apple right?

WTF?

If people hate on Apple here, that's just because it's reflective of people out in the real world actually hating Apple. GAF does not have a anti-Apple bias, or even Apple apathy. This is as close you can get to finding pro-Apple demographic outside of digital design communities or actual Apple communities.

What are you talking about?

TL4E

I walked the floor of E3 until my flip-flops broke in protest at the mediocrity. When your footwear is sounding off about the originality of your industry, you know you're in a tough place

Needs to be re-emphasized for utter fail. I seriously had to re-read this twice to establish that I was indeed comprehending this correctly.

... And then proceeds to allude to a Simpsons episode.

BocoDragon

Opiate said:
I think this is a matter of perception. Fanboy bias is often "called out," but then, that same bias is also defended, because there simply are a great number of people on this forum with affection for the products Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony have produced. So instead of seeming like uniform ridicule, it results in an argument: those who say it's obvious journalistic bias, and those who vociferously argue that, at its heart, it represents an important truth. Or something.

This thread is different -- virtually everyone seems to agree that this represents gross bias. I'm arguing that it's a great deal easier for all of us to remain objective when the company this "journalist" argues in favor of is generally outside GAF's purview.
Makes sense.

But in this case were not just talking about a Pro-Apple bias. Many people are pro-Apple here... But what they aren't is Pro-Apple/Completely ignorant about rest the current gaming industry.

This article is not just pro-Apple.. It's actually speaking as a blind outsider to gaming commenting on it from an Apple-only perspective.

MrMephistoX

Mama Robotnik said:
(I haven't seen a thread on how the some of the Mac/Apple media have responded to E3, so I felt this was threadworthy. I find it interesting, you might disagree.)

PC World are hosting an article from Macworld (established Apple Mac website/magazine) on their thoughts and summation of E3.

Suffice to say Apple won E3, despite not actually being significantly present at the time.

I don't see this reality, in which gaming is dying and Apple's game apps are an unstoppable juggernaut on path to effortlessly destroy the big three. I do find it fascinating that some in the Apple media see it like this though.

It's as if a million tower defense and bejeweled app clones cried out at once and then were suddenly silenced.

I love my apple gear as much as the next guy but come on.

Top Bottom