• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Catz files for bankruptcy, company is shutting down

ibscpy

Neo Member
This is very bitter sweet for me...... I spent 3 years working at Mad Catz and made some of the best friends and coworkers a guy could have. But that place was beyond mismanaged and falling apart for years. The finger can be DIRECTLY pointed at Darren Richardson and all those that had the ability to, but never stood up to him. He used the company as his personal play thing to make products HE would want and priced them at prices HE could pay. And then, when all was said and done, he took his money and walked away, leaving all those that actually worked hard and cared about the company to have to clean up his mess. I thought when he left and Karen took over as CEO that the company might actually have a chance to pull itself back together. She was a breath of fresh air when she started and I really thought she had what it took to fix the mistakes of the past, but it was too far gone at that point. I hate to see them go in such a terrible manner, but I will never forget all the fun I had there and all that I learned. Here's to you, MCZ....... godspeed

Pretty much everyone said when Rock Band 4 was announced and that Mad Catz was involved it was a bad idea and then a few months later they said it did way worse than they expected, I knew it hurt.

Obviously not just Rock Band 4 did this but, yeah.

But who will make all the branded Fighting game controllers now?

Well we got Hori and Qanba. Everyone else already does deals with them except Capcom.

Sad to see such a brand, with generations of influence, fading away. Hope their employees land on their feet at the very least. Thanks for all the good memories MCZ. You'll be missed.

Also, is it normal to be filing for bankruptcy on the final day of the fiscal year, or is there a catch to it?

Hated their rubbery ass Dreamcast controller, LOVED their fightpads from last gen.
Shame to see them go, good luck to all their employees.
I still have this:

B00004TNXZ.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's a piece of shit.

I remember the old days of the ps1 where their memory cards allegedly corrupted saves and fried controller ports. Not sure how widespread that was or if it was just Sony fearmongering to get people to buy official accessories.

I still have this:

B00004TNXZ.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's a piece of shit.

I had this beauty in blue, because of the magnet style analog stick methods sega used on the dreamcast you can actually make sonic run faster in sonic adventure using that controller over an official, not by much but it does change his speed.

Well, shit. Not surprising but still a bummer. Good luck to all the employees.
And to be honest, I doubt Harmonix will be far behind. They've been running on fumes for a while.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Whelp this sucks because I really liked they tried to keep Rock Band alive. Didn't like the part where I can't buy replacement drums and kick pedals though.

Overall their peripherals were crap and I'm amazed they made it this far.

Also I like that edgy 1328158 Ontario Inc name, rolls right of the tounge.

So what becomes of the GameShark brand now? Mad Catz bought it from InterAct after they went belly up. I honestly hope Datel grabs it, finally reuniting the brand with the original creators, as GS was just the Action Replay localized in NA.

After the split, Mad Catz brought in Fire International (who was behind Codebreaker IIRC?) and made the GameShark SP on GBA. I think this was the only system to get both the OG InterAct GameShark and a Mad Catz-built version. Maybe PS2 also.

After that, cheat devices started to phase out and be replaced by Cheat Save discs and now on 3DS, just download-only Cheat Save carts.

I miss those days. :(

Armaly

Hopefully they'll liquidate some of the TE2 replacement parts. I want to change my stick colour theme.

Doubt you'll find colors other than red and white. Blue shows up occasionally. Took me forever to snag some black parts. Still looking for the led pcb.

Cday

Banned
People shitting on them: I suggest you buy a third party GC/PS2/Xbox controller made today and still say they're trash. You haven't seen trash.

I remember buying a memory card for PS2 back when I got the console in 2001 when it was super overpriced. The card worked fine so no complaints from me. I stuck to 1st party hardware in the future though. It definitely evoked some memories reading the name, but I can't say I'm all that touched. Hope everybody finds new jobs as quickly as possible.

Ricker

It's a shame...for the price,their products where not that bad...didnt Sony forbid them to make or sell products to use for the PS4 though,specifically controllers....that did not help I guess if it's the case...
:(

X-Factor

Pachinko

This is a shame because I (and many others) liked their arcade sticks. Sadly, that couldn't keep the lights on by itself so they had to take risky ventures like doubling down on the plastic instrument nonsense over the last couple years despite the writing being on the wall there.

I guess the problem is that they were so good at what they did with those arcade sticks that no one ever needed to buy another one short of getting a new console , especially with the backwards compatible sticks on PS4. I'm still using my original TE SF4 stick on my PC and it's like 8 years old now.

Top Bottom