• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Catz files for bankruptcy, company is shutting down

Anne

Considering their recent products were held together by string and gum I can't say I'm terribly sad at this point. Still feels kinda weird to not have them around pushing garbage at the very least.

reson8or

I feel bad for the workers who lost their jobs but lets be serious, Mad Catz gear was mediocre AT BEST. I mean they had a few outliers like their partnership with Capcom for their sticks.

In my mind Mad Catz was the controller you got as a present from a grandmother who didn't know any better.

To elaborate: Their build quality was bad, their designs were bad, and ergonomics were bad. The only area they were able to compete was price, which leaves a race to the bottom in terms of quality/profit.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I bought one of their sticks and it lasted less than a year before dying. Switched to Hori and never looked back.

Hope the employees land on their feet, but I can't say I'll miss their products at all.

Col.Asher

End of an Era. Funny enough is that my madcatz GameCube memory card never corrupted as opposed to all my first party ones.

Edit: Nevermind, those were pelican memory cards.

daevv

I've never owned a controller of theirs. Picked up and looked at plenty at yard sales and goodwill stores but always put them back.

Kuni

Shame. Best of luck to everyone affected. I adore their R.A.T. mice (build quality though...). Using a R.A.T.3 right now.

Goes to show just one decision can really tank a company.

Afrikan

They had a good run. When they first started releasing products, I really didn't believe they would last this long. (Mainly because of the name). But they must have had some good people working upstairs.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Never forget their awesome sticks and instruments, thank you madcatz for supporting two of my favorite genres.

JordanKZ

Early Mad Catz were truly terrible. Last generation their fight pads and sticks were actually pretty great.

Harmonix really, really fucked that company up.

This is very sad to see, I hope everyone can find new jobs.

I really liked their controllers, they made really cool stuff! I have a really awesome Street Fighter IV fight pad from them that I use on my PC and Xbox 360!

They made deliberately ugly and crappy hardware for decades.

Sure, they turned that around in recent years, but they could never shake the original image. They should have completely changed their company name.

poodaddy

End of a legacy. Whether that legacy has had a negative or positive impact on the peripheral industry seems to be largely relative, but it was certainly a legacy.

Dynomutt

Anyone ever question their friendships when your buddy hands you the MadCatz controller? Like really? I'm the guest! Why are these buttons hollow, why does my stick lean to the left, and is that jelly!?!?!

Good times!

giphy.gif

I'm glad they were around to kickstart some competitivity in the realm of arcade sticks , and put some fear into Hori when they were lazy .

However Madcatz grew complacent beyond the excellent original TES lines imo .

Pretty much all they did afterward were horrible fighting pads , and constant overpriced re-release of their top of the line sticks , with theme based art .Beyond fandom abrand loyalty , i did not see the upside of buying a 150-200 euros madcatz stick , when you got the same sanwa quality or (hayabusa levers ans buttons) from a 120-140 euros Hori Rap stick or Qanba and Razer with other bells and whistle . And no modding does not justify today , not when all brands are easy to mod nowadays

OryoN

Sad to see an old dog put down.

I never owned any of their products, but back in the days they were always around wherever I go looking for third party accessories.

diablogod

I'm sad for the employees. Let's be honest though, for the first like 6 years of the companies existence they didn't really do themselves any favors to win over customers. The controllers they made during that period were extremely bad. You gave your PS2 or N64 Madcatz controller to your buddies friend who you hated.

Csr

yep, which was also a weird conundrum they put themselves in. finally make an acceptable (to great) piece of equipment, now no one needs to replace it ever.

I don't think that this was a problem, i had 3 mad catz sticks last gen because they were good quality. If they weren't i would never have bought any madcatz product anyway.

I think their other products were just not good enough for their prices. They were either ugly, uncomfortable, unreliable or too expensive imo.

Just wondering, now that the company is shutting down what is going to happen to people that want to return a product? Like warranty situations.

Tain

2009 TE stick was a revelation for me. It's still in great shape and I haven't had to open the thing yet.

The fact that they, in 2009, decided to try selling premium-ass Japanese arcade sticks in the States is awesome.

FinKL

Guess I'm too young to know who they are. Sucks if anyone has to file for bankruptcy though.
Oh man I'm old. I think us 30+ yo all remember the struggle of getting a cheap MadCatz controller to lend a friend use when we wanted to play together. I learned what 3rd party vs 1st party was at a young age lol

I remember thinking why would anyone buy their memory cards if you valued your time

Sakwoff

I will always treasure my SFIV SE stick. Those sticks were pretty dope, on account of their easy moddability. I've put in all seimitsu parts for that extra shmup responsiveness. I love that thing.

Didn't really play games on consoles during their "shitty off-brand controllers"-days, so I mainly associate them with good arcade sticks. Bummer.

Seijuro

Hated their rubbery ass Dreamcast controller, LOVED their fightpads from last gen.
Shame to see them go, good luck to all their employees.

Top Bottom