• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Catz files for bankruptcy, company is shutting down

breadtruck

9G0Nz.jpg

ROFL. So true.

Sad news though. Its too bad Rockband didnt hit bigger than it did.

if they had concentrated their efforts on making non-junky peripherals, they'd still be in business. The 1st party stuff is so good anyhow it makes them redundant.

They went from the shitty controllers you let your friends use when they came over to incredibly well built competitive arcade sticks. sad to see them go.

Skilletor

So I guess fightsticks are just not gonna be a thing anymore?

Sure, if you don't count Hori (has T7 sticks out, constantly revamping their HRAP line, FIghting Edge has been teased for awhile now), Qanba (just released like...3 sticks from low to high end like a VLX) , and Razer (Panthera is a great stick) making them.

Just like there was a "dark ages" of fighting games in the 2000s if the only thing you played were Capcom games. :)

This is very bitter sweet for me...... I spent 3 years working at Mad Catz and made some of the best friends and coworkers a guy could have. But that place was beyond mismanaged and falling apart for years. The finger can be DIRECTLY pointed at Darren Richardson and all those that had the ability to, but never stood up to him. He used the company as his personal play thing to make products HE would want and priced them at prices HE could pay. And then, when all was said and done, he took his money and walked away, leaving all those that actually worked hard and cared about the company to have to clean up his mess. I thought when he left and Karen took over as CEO that the company might actually have a chance to pull itself back together. She was a breath of fresh air when she started and I really thought she had what it took to fix the mistakes of the past, but it was too far gone at that point. I hate to see them go in such a terrible manner, but I will never forget all the fun I had there and all that I learned. Here's to you, MCZ....... godspeed

Of course the blame can be laid at the CEO he's the one in charge. However Karen was never going to fix anything, the 3rd party accessories business is virtually dead and has been for a few years because the problem is that the the products that used to support that type of business are no longer possible. Memory cards became internal HDD, controllers were locked behind security chips and expensive licensing and video cables changed to standard HDMI and those were the 3 biggest sellers. What was left after licensing was simple products like controller charge devices, cases and headsets that many companies could make and required no expertise. Add in the fact that dedicated videogame retailers have been failing for years and you've got nowhere to sell that stuff apart from online.

Maker of my first steering wheel set up for console (for N64: San Francisco Rush)
41V-PtnkDEL.jpg

Will be missed but life goes on. Should've pivoted bigger onto keyboards and computer accessories. Console manufacturers have pretty much solidified their own offerings.

Takao

Banned
Rock Band 4 was the final nail in the coffin, not a one hit KO. Their stock price has been really low since 2011.

They were a mass market peripheral manufacturer but those days seem to be over. Memory cards are done. Racers have become niche and so have wheels. We're at the point where the kids who grew up with shitty third party controllers are now adults with kids and know they're better off spending 3x the price for a first party one that'll last significantly longer. No Wii to fleece generic plastic crap to grandmas. Madcatz tried to pivot to higher end hobbyist stuff but I guess that wasn't enough.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think I have an X-box 180 controller from them, or the HotD3 lightguns they did. Pretty terrible quality there. Their "Standard Edition" and "Tournament Edition" arcade sticks were pretty solid, however.

Shame they didn't just be an arcade stick/arcade controller/whatever company. And Markman bailed with that golden parachute in time.

Maker of my first steering wheel set up for console (for N64: San Francisco Rush)
41V-PtnkDEL.jpg

Will be missed but life goes on. Should've pivoted bigger onto keyboards and computer accessories. Console manufacturers have pretty much solidified their own offerings.

Haha, I had this for some reason

.la1n

Unfortunate; their fightsticks the last few years have been quality. Writing was on the wall after the Rock Band bet and MarkMan packing his bags.

Sure, if you don't count Hori (has T7 sticks out, constantly revamping their HRAP line, FIghting Edge has been teased for awhile now), Qanba (just released like...3 sticks from low to high end like a VLX) , and Razer (Panthera is a great stick) making them.

Just like there was a "dark ages" of fighting games in the 2000s if the only thing you played were Capcom games. :)

But none of those are fightsticks. MadCatz are the only ones who called their arcade sticks fightsticks.

My sister works in the building that they operated their UK business from and she told me about this today because they were packing up everything.

She said they've been expecting it for about a year though because they've had to cut down on days the office is even open, like their office could be shut down for 3 days at a time as a cost cutting measure.

I need a replacement part for my TE2 that's been out of stock for some time now. Fml. I managed to cut the cords connecting all the buttons to the circuit and the cord is falling apart. Arghhhh
Maybe this is why they're going under...

End of an era. I always wondered how these third party companies stayed in business. Their products always felt so inferior to the official peripherals.

TheMan

Sucks that peeps are losing their jobs but I have to wonder how these shitpeddlers managed to stay in business for all these years,

Why though? What happened?

You'd think that with the new fighting game releases over the past year and their new line of sticks, they would be doing great right now.

smurfx

get some go again
good thing i didn't decide to use a madcatz fightpad for the ps4 since they will likely not make anymore. i won't have to overpay for replacements.

WormBoi

Banned
Oh gosh the memories. The terrible, horrible m memories.

With a Mad Catz N64 controller like this, we discovered that upon the plastic of the analog stick fling off, leaving the thin metal rod exposed, you were able to tilt the stick a little further with the added clearance. For games like Perfect Dark it meant being able to run faster. This helped with those time trials to unlock cheats and in multiplayer as well. Pretty interesting discovery. It sure started to hurt your thumb though, pressing it into a pointy metal tip.

Also I really liked their GCN/PS2/Xbox controllers, they felt pretty good.

I really wanted to try those that had the built-in fans to cool our your palm sweat, never got one though.

JordanN

Banned
RIP in peace Packers of the awful GameCube controller my older brother stuck me with.

51RW5HRPWML.jpg

I hope their employees land on their feet.

I was given a Madcatz controller to play Smash Bros. Melee. You can imagine how that went.

Madcatz, not even once.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I wonder if those PS4 Tekken 7 Fight Sticks are still going to come out.

tekken7_sticks.jpg

With the company filing for bankruptcy and it ceasing it's operations. It should be made aware that it is impossible for new products to be made/manufactured. Which sucks, if you were looking forward to it.

lupinko

With the company filing for bankruptcy and it ceasing it's operations. It should be made aware that it is impossible for new products to be made/manufactured. Which sucks, if you were looking forward to it.

It sucks because Hori doesn't use arcade parts anymore, I'm not sold on their hayabusa lever or buttons, it's all about dat JLF and LS-32.

darksagus

I had one of those wonky madcatz n64 controllers and I loved it. It was alright to use once you got used to it, but the best part was that none of your friends would want to use it, so you always got dibs on a controller.

bethore

I wouldn't buy a TE2+ if I were looking for a new stick.

Why not? I've heard that the TE2+ are really nice sticks and are extremely popular within the community. I never got one because they were impossible to get from a very limited supply I'm guessing. I ended up with a HORI Kai with the Hayabusa buttons and might be looking into getting the Qanba Obsidian.

LiK

Man, they were doing good with fightsticks and they decided to jump in with music peripherals again. What a mistake.

CJY

Banned
Never bought any of their products... Didn't like the look/feel of them, or their build quality or their brand.

It's still a major shame to see such a company file for bankruptcy though, less options is bad.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The more I think about it.

With such a terrible name, terrible logo and terrible products they sold (outside the fight sticks), I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Top Bottom