• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Yes yes yes yes yes! Caught up on seasons 1-3 a few months back. Worst part is going to be only watching one episode a week where I'd normally go through a DVD disc every night when Netflix sent them to me. Also stinks that I have to watch it on the West Coast delay but WHATEVER :D

Amir0x

Banned
Don is a reprehensible human being and Betty should have stayed gone the first time and not drawn this out.

oatmeal

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Betty is a petulant brat, to be sure.

But when you think about it, you can't blame her for leaving Don. He's a serial philanderer and an absentee father. She had every right to dump his ass.

There's a funny double standard when it comes to Betty and Don. People seem to be far more accepting of Don's flaws than Betty's.

Betty's a woman.

'Nuff said.

I finished season 3 on blu-ray a couple weeks back. Such a great season. The last few episodes were especially brilliant. The finale has me ultra excited for season 4.

brotkasten said:
That's because Don is far more likable than Betty.
He's a fantastic character, but I've never found him to be a likable character.

Especially after the way he treated Peggy (and to a lesser extent, Sal) in Season 3.

oatmeal said:
Betty's a woman.

'Nuff said.
I'm not one to cry "sexism," but it certainly seems to be part of it.

brotkasten said:
That's because Don is far more likable than Betty.
Likable is not a word i would use to describe Don.

I find him to be one of the least interesting characters in the show. He's so completely despicable that i find him tiring to watch.

BertramCooper said:
He's a fantastic character, but I've never found him to be a likable character.
Spotless Mind said:
Likable is not a word i would use to describe Don.

Oh, but I do. I like the character and his attitude and at least at work he gets his shit together (well, most of the times :lol ). Betty on the other hand is just annoying and all she does is complaining and she's not even good at the only job she has. But hey, its been a long time since I watched season 3.

brotkasten said:
Oh, but I do. I like the character and his attitude and at least at work he gets his shit together (well, most of the times :lol ).
Don is just lucky he found a job where he can drink excessively and do very little actual work. He'd be rubbish at almost any other job - and he knows it.

Betty on the other hand is just annoying and all she does is complaining and she's not even good at the only job she has. But hey, its been a long time since I watched season 3.
I thoroughly enjoy the Betty storyline. She's childish and abrasive, but Weiner hasn't made her that way for the sake of it. Given her upbringing and her failed marriage with Don, her behavior is understandable. She's every bit as well-rounded as the show's other characters, IMO.

That's what's so great about this show. There's not a single one-dimensional character on it. Well, except for Lois, maybe. :lol

Totally psyched to finally be caught up by S4. Got all three seasons prior on Blu-Ray for my birthday, and I blew through episodes 2x01-2x05 last night. Plan to pick up right where I left off soon as I get home tonight.

giga

BertramCooper said:
Don is just lucky he found a job where he can drink excessively and do very little actual work. He'd be rubbish at almost any other job - and he knows it.
You mean Cooper. Don is the historical Steve Jobs. Extraordinarily confident that has a mind built for leadership and a knack for taste.

purg3

slept with Malkin
anyone watching the best of season 3 marathon?

"We got a gypsy and a hobo. And who are you supposed to be?" When the camera closes in on Don's face, shit was just perfect. Such a little scene with so much in it. That's what makes this show so fucking good. Getting pumped up for Sunday.

anaron

Bring on Sterling Cooper Draper and Price! I can't wait to see Joansie back in business.

Oh and Don is totally an unlikable prick.

So happy this is back on. Good TV is back on.

Also, I like Don. And screw you and you're a liar if some part of you doesn't like Don.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I like Don, despite his foibles. I cheer for him. Betty on the other hand...ugh. Annoying, needy, little-girl lost. I was actually praying that
she'd divorce Don during Season 2
just to get her as little face time as possible.

Nearly completed Season 3, with just 4 more eps to go. I'll knock those off tonight. While eating pizza in my underwear.

bishoptl said:
I like Don, despite his foibles. I cheer for him. Betty on the other hand...ugh. Annoying, needy, little-girl lost. I was actually praying that
she'd divorce Don during Season 2
just to get her as little face time as possible.

Nearly completed Season 3, with just 4 more eps to go. I'll knock those off tonight. While eating pizza in my underwear.
prepare for the shit to hit the proverbial fan

purg3

slept with Malkin
bishoptl said:

Man, get prepared for some of the best television ever. Last 2 episodes are beyond amazing. I still remembered getting up out of my seat and yelling holy shit during the finale. :lol

giga said:
You mean Cooper. Don is the historical Steve Jobs. Extraordinarily confident that has a mind built for leadership and a knack for taste.
Don is a creative genius, but his leadership skills aren't that great. He's capable of being a good mentor to his charges - which we've seen through his relationship with Peggy - but he's too unreliable and unstable to be an outstanding leader.

His success can mostly be attributed to his raw talent, not necessarily his work ethic. The Hilton account was pretty much the only time we've ever seen Don being taxed by his job.

KingDirk

What about the airline account? It's been a while since last I watched it, but it did seem to be a strain. I thought one of the big deals with why the Hilton account caused the stress it did was that Don tried to control as much of it as possible instead of delegating, etc.

Blader

I love Don Draper. He's by far the most fascinating character on the show. Though I have to admit that my ability to invest in him diminishes a bit with each season, though that probably has to do with him becoming more his own character and less of a vehicle to project myself onto. I guess the same is true for any long-running show. :lol

GQman2121

Banned
I'm glad I'm not the only one sitting here watching these. :lol

I've watched S3 about three times now on BD and it really is just pure brilliance. If Slattery doesn't win that Best Supporting Emmy for his performance in the finale alone he'll never win it.

GQman2121

Banned
FilthyLies said:
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce is such a mouthful

That's what she said!!!

No but seriously........

mad-men82.jpg

"Do what I say."

purg3

slept with Malkin
ConfusingJazz said:
Only thing that bugs me about the season finale: How the hell did Don get from home to the office so damn fast?

Because he's Don Fucking Draper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom