• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

God the S3 finale is so good. I can't wait.

I do fear NeoGAF's incredible run of not understanding what is and isn't a spoiler. No matter how many times it is spelled out by mods and OPs, people still fuck it up.

The guy posting the time jump for instance.

- Elizabeth Moss interview with the Onion A|V Club *some spoilers*
- Sepinwall's S4 review *minor spoilers*
Because “Mad Men” is such a great series overall, and because it’s off the air for three-quarters of every year, it’s always exciting to come back to it for the start of a new season. But the new setting, and the possibilities it creates for the show and its characters, has me feeling particularly thrilled to be back in Don Draper’s world of booze, cigarettes and meditations on what people want and how to sell it to them.

Mrbob

I finally finished season 3 on blu ray in preparation of season 4, so amazing. The last couple episodes were indeed epic. Roger Sterling is my favorite character on the show, and I love crazy Bertram Cooper as well. I think Don has a likable personality as well, and when he lays down the law he does it with a fury! Even though Betty has every reason to hate Don, put me on the Team Don fan base. Betty's character is irritating.

Hopefully I can see season 4 On Demand HD, because I do not get AMC HD.

Any word on if Betty gets hit by a pipe in the first five seconds of the new season?

One can hope! :lol

I wish I was Jon Hamm

IOAfm.gif

I would also have the keys to Jon Hamm's John Ham empire.

- Metacritic page for S4 is up. Currently at a 96.
Hollywood Reporter said:
One surefire sign of a television series in its prime comes when an episode's plot and subplots dovetail so stylishly that it's difficult to tell which is which.
People Weekly said:
Season 4 launches with an episode focused on TV's most mysterious ad executive-and since Jon Hamm's watchful yet charismatic performance makes the show tick, that's excellent.
Maureen Ryan said:
Don has shed some secrets, but the more he puts himself on the line, the bigger chance there is for failure. And when it comes to showing how complicated people fare under pressure, the sterling Mad Men has few peers.
Ken Tucker said:
I can assert that the series has benefited artistically from the business decision that concluded last season. In shuttering Sterling Cooper and launching SCDP, the show is immediately jazzed by the renewed energy and willfulness that often accompanies a start-up.
Variety said:
This hour finds the cast in fine form, but the most interesting crumb to emerge might be Weiner's apparent rumination on the program's success and--speaking through his protagonist--his own heightened profile since the series took off.

Amir0x

Banned
You guys are crazy about Betty. She is a fantastically written character, and definitely an object of her time just like the rest of the cast. I would not want the show without Betty.

She's an ice princess and a bored house wife, but pretty nearly all her fears were realized and much of the seasons she spent being fairly pissed off. And she tries to shoot the neighbors birds. I mean, a great character period.

Also...

this quote makes me super excited:

And where everyone assumed that Don would take advantage of his divorce to more fully indulge his wandering eye, he instead has adopted a darker, more solitary existence, and one that allows Hamm to find disturbing new depths in a character we thought we knew everything about by now.

I wonder what "disturbed new depths" really means! OMG CAN'TWAIT

Amir0x said:
You guys are crazy about Betty. She is a fantastically written character, and definitely an object of her time just like the rest of the cast. I would not want the show without Betty.

People used to think that.

Then January Jones did SNL.

Amir0x said:
She is still all those things? What does SNL have to do with the portrayal of her character?

That she is actually just a terrible actress, and that the writers got lucky that despite this, her terribleness works well with how they wanted her character to be.

She makes me feel sympathy for Don Draper for God's sake, and Don Draper is a douche to her.

Also, that edit is semi spoilery.

Amir0x

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
That she is actually just a terrible actress, and that the writers got lucky that despite this, her terribleness works well with how they wanted her character to be.

She makes me feel sympathy for Don Draper for God's sake, and Don Draper is a douche to her.

I don't know about her relative talent in other arenas, but she has done a damn fine job in the role on the show. Some of the scenes would have had their power completely removed if January Jones had missed the right notes, and she never did.

Particularly impressive was the episode in which she confronted Don finally over the divorce from his other wife/his name/etc. The way she played that scene was fucking pitch perfect. The lingering after her husband so he can't "escape", the mixture of contempt and pity... the perfect dose of anger.

I don't know how much she sucked in SNL, but she has certainly not sucked in Mad Men. She has played the role exactly as written, and the role itself is of considerable depth and nuance. If you're disliking her, GOOD! She is WRITTEN to be incredibly immature, because that's how many housebred caretakers were during the era! She doesn't know how to properly express her emotions to Don or the kids, and the way she treats her kids is pretty bad. But the end result is a compelling character and an actress who does a damn good job.

Amir0x said:
I don't know about her relative talent in other arenas, but she has done a damn fine job in the role on the show. Some of the scenes would have had their power completely removed if January Jones had missed the right notes, and she never did.

Particularly impressive was the episode in which she confronted Don finally over the divorce from his other wife/his name/etc. The way she played that scene was fucking pitch perfect. The lingering after her husband so he can't "escape", the mixture of contempt and pity... the perfect dose of anger.

I don't know how much she sucked in SNL, but she has certainly not sucked in Mad Men. She has played the role exactly as written, and the role itself is of considerable depth and nuance.

Meh, I just don't like the character. Hell, I even turned out to start liking Pete, and I have the background of hating the actor since Season 4 of Angel.

If you want to know the general consensus for January Jones on SNL, google "January Jones SNL" The reviews are fantastically painful.

LCfiner

who the hell bases an actor's ability from an SNL appearance? that show has made almost every great actor who's appeared on it look like shit.

Jones has done a great job with Betty. that's all that matters for Mad Men.

ConfusingJazz said:
Meh, I just don't like the character. Hell, I even turned out to start liking Pete, and I have the background of hating the actor since Season 4 of Angel.

If you want to know the general consensus for January Jones on SNL, google "January Jones SNL" The reviews are fantastically painful.

But, again, it's irrelevant. It doesn't matter how badly she sucked on SNL. I've seen tons of SNLs with spectacular actors that were pure shit. It sounds to me like you just had an opinion of her work on Mad Men and used the SNL performance as ballast for your argument, not that you saw her on SNL and then finally realized she was a bad actress on the show.

She's not. Betty Draper is a woman of that era, in a marriage with a man like Don Draper. January Jones plays the role that was written for her to fucking perfection.

BenjaminBirdie said:
But, again, it's irrelevant. It doesn't matter how badly she sucked on SNL. I've seen tons of SNLs with spectacular actors that were pure shit. It sounds to me like you just had an opinion of her work on Mad Men and used the SNL performance as ballast for your argument, not that you saw her on SNL and then finally realized she was a bad actress on the show.

She's not. Betty Draper is a woman of that era, in a marriage with a man like Don Draper. January Jones plays the role that was written for her to fucking perfection.
ITA.

I don't know how someone can watch "The Gypsy and the Hobo" and claim that January Jones isn't a good actress.

And her performance on SNL remains totally irrelevant. It's a live sketch comedy show. Tons of actors far more acclaimed than January Jones have crashed and burned on SNL. Not everyone can be as naturally good at it as Jon Hamm.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Cornballer said:
"Very good, happy Christmas!" :lol :lol :lol

Best line ever! :lol

Oh god do I love this show, probably 3rd behind The Wire and Deadwood in my pantheon of favorite shows.

Can't fucking wait! The last episode of season 3 was brilliant beyond compare.

Side note: I literally can NOT watch this show without a scotch or bourbon in my hand. For real.

i've never had a problem with betty but I'm not surprised to find people hate her after reading all the nonsensical hate arguments against skylar in the breaking bad threads.

Ugh, i've been reading impressions on past episodes elsewhere. I hate the cult of fans behind this show rooting for Don to be a misogynistic, womanizing asshole. The fan reaction to Betty/Don is eerily reminding me of Skylar/Walt.

Blader5489 said:
Though I have to admit that my ability to invest in him diminishes a bit with each season, though that probably has to do with him becoming more his own character and less of a vehicle to project myself onto.
Comments like this explain a lot. :lol

Amirox said:

She's an ice princess and a bored house wife, but pretty nearly all her fears were realized and much of the seasons she spent being fairly pissed off. And she tries to shoot the neighbors birds. I mean, a great character period.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Betty Draper is a woman of that era, in a marriage with a man like Don Draper. January Jones plays the role that was written for her to fucking perfection.
So much agreement with what both of you said. She may very well be a terrible actress in any other role, but this role suits her to a tee and Betty is a necessary part of the shows fabric in exploring the time period.

giga

Spotless Mind said:
I hate the cult of fans behind this show rooting for Don to be a misogynistic, womanizing asshole.
:lol

I don't think anyone is rooting for him to be misogynistic, but hate is a pretty strong word for a television show. I just love drama. And the hate for Betty has nothing to do with Don's honesty towards her--at least not for me.

Finished Season Two last night. Helluva finale. Luckily I don't work till late tomorrow afternoon, so I can polish off 4-5 episodes of S3 tonight.

This is gonna suck though, watching the show in SD after three helpings of Blu-Ray goodness. ARGH.

tabsina

GQman2121 said:
mad-men82.jpg

"Do what I say."

I still don't understand what he was doing in this scene.. but I was expecting him to do it to Betty around the same time as when he called her a whore..

That season 3 finale got me from hating Pryce's character to absolutely loving him - can't wait to see how his character develops in Season 4.

As for Betty, I haven't felt sorry for her since she cut her hair for Glen.. but that doesn't excuse Don's shortcomings

EDIT: My favourite line from the finale: "Well Gentleman, I suppose you're fired" - I love the way he delivers that.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
brianjones said:
i've never had a problem with betty but I'm not surprised to find people hate her after reading all the nonsensical hate arguments against skylar in the breaking bad threads.
I'm not so sure how people project all their hate on a character like "betty" in a show like mad men - where most of the characters are generally assholes anyway. Which is what makes them fascinating to watch, and it's the same thing with betty.

squicken

giga said:
I don't think anyone is rooting for him to be misogynistic, but hate is a pretty strong word for a television show. I just love drama. And the hate for Betty has nothing to do with Don's honesty towards her--at least not for me.

My dislike for Betty is almost entirely centered on how self-centered and childish she is, and how it manifests itself in her awful, sometimes cruel, parenting. However unfair society and her husband are to her, she has a responsibility to be a better parent than she is.

Don is no great father, but his failures are mostly from absence. He gets slack b/c he is a man of his times. In fact I'd argue his greatest fault is clearly seeing how awful a mother Betty is, but doing nothing, b/c it would inconvenience his professional life.

Daigoro

easily the best show on cable/tv at the moment. cannot wait!

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

Exactly. If SNL dictated performance than every single album on Earth would be written by Garth & Kat.

23w8i2c.jpg

(I'd kind of like that, actually)

i love that skit.

and it silly to grade a dramatic actors talent based on a live comedy show perfomance. comedy is difficult. many many good actors come across crappy on SNL, and conversely people who you think would suck sometimes do a great job.

ive never seen Jones in anything else that i can remember, but ive never had a problem with her perfomance on Mad Men.

A couple items from today:

- Slate's TV club starts up again with some thoughts before S4. Good question about Betty - how are they going to keep her involved this season?
- NY Magazine presents: Betty Draper's Guide to Parenting. Quite the montage.
- Lots more reviews popping up on Metacritic
- Zap2It reporting that contract discussions are continuing between AMC and Lionsgate for more seasons of the show.
AMC, which airs the Emmy-winning drama, and Lionsgate, which produces it, currently have a license agreement that runs for five seasons (Season 4 premieres Sunday). But they've started talking about extending the deal through at least a sixth season, according to Variety.

Cornballer said:
Slate's TV club starts up again with some thoughts before S4. Good question about Betty - how are they going to keep her involved this season?
I don't see this being an issue. Betty was never very connected to the world of Sterling Cooper in the first three seasons yet remained an integral part of the show throughout.

And I'm guessing that Sally, Bobby and Gene will continue to grow in importance as they become older. This will pretty much require Betty's continued presence on the show.

I would go back to defending my position, but I am lazy. However, I didn't mean for my entire argument to rest on SNL, just that she was terrible on it.

Also, I concur, this show has gotten me to drink scotch. I feel classy.

ConfusingJazz said:
I would go back to defending my position, but I am lazy. However, I didn't mean for my entire argument to rest on SNL, just that she was terrible on it.
Not everyone can be as awesome as Jon Hamm at comedy.

Hamm is such an amazing actor. It's hard to believe it took him this long to be found, especially when he's also ridiculously good looking.

purg3 said:
Very good, Happy Christmas

Best fucking part of the episode :lol
Hahahah! Fuck yeah! Man, that part was so great. :lol

Just finished Season 3. I hope Don ends back up with Suzanne. She's hot as hell!

God. I love this show. I love AMC.

BertramCooper said:
Not everyone can be as awesome as Jon Hamm at comedy.

Hamm is such an amazing actor. It's hard to believe it took him this long to be found, especially when he's also ridiculously good looking.
He's the only man I will ever have a man-crush on.

_dementia said:
also, maybe crazy
Yeah, she definitely gave off some crazy stalker vibes. I hope she doesn't return. That whole subplot was a bore and the weakest part of the season.

The only Don mistress i found the slightest bit interesting was Rachel Menken.

giga said:
Suzanne? Hell naw, that girl had the crazy eyes.

It's all about Joy.
Man I really should go back and watch that arc because at the time I did not understand what was happening AT ALL. :lol

turnbuckle

Damn, I picked a bad weekend to schedule my move. Does AMC normally repeat episodes during the week? I have AMC HD but my on Demand only broadcasts in SD. Won't be able to DVR it cus I'll be out of service for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom