• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This episode is so BIZARRE. Henry Francis in Don's house and bed, Don getting turned down by a chick, Don getting slapped in the face by a hooker...

purg3

slept with Malkin
Mad Men is back, woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That shot of Don sitting in the dark waiting for Betty to get back was amazing. This is one of the few shows that can say so much in one shot without any dialog. Overall, good episode and start to the new season.

That was so fuckawesome. The "plans" were great. I was almost hoping Betty died of asphyxiation in the garage. Henry is going to drop her like a brick down a well.

"could not even afford a whole reporter":lol

Amir0x

Banned
Oh I already see where they're going with this. Brilliant episode.

Peggy allowing her tongue to whip back at Don for once was especially satisfying. Don is definitely more deeply disturbed now, dude is a true mess. At the end, like the alpha male he is, he has taken command once again to turn the agency into something he wants.

The WSJ newspaper article is going to signal to the world that SCDP is an agency that takes risks, unlike that "prude" two piece company. That's the type of clients he wants. Don is exerting his control. Fucking love it.

Also, it's going to be EXTREMELY interesting to see how the rest of SCDP feels about his comments that he basically IS the company. But I think Peggy's little comment about them ALL being there for him planted the seed in his head to really go there.

But I bet the others won't feel that way

_dementia said:
I liked the episode a lot too.
new guy didn't get a lot of screen time but he seems like a d-bag
maybe it's the haircut

I know him from something. What do I know him from?

Also, what dang year is this?

I NEED AN EXPLANATION FOR JOAN'S HORRIFYING EYEBROWS.

Amir0x

Banned
SCDP was an awesome set. Really shows the direction they're taking - the younger generation taking the ropes, expressed in the more modern design of the agency. Really great stuff.

purg3

slept with Malkin
BenjaminBirdie said:
And Don fucking HOME SCHOOLED Henry.

"Trust me, everyone thinks this is temporary."

yeah, that whole scene was amazing. Betty is such a damn twat.

It was also telling that Don kicked them out of "his office". Unless I'm mistaken, that was the conference room, but it's interesting to see how he thinks of the entire firm.

And, yeah, Amir0x, I love the SCDP setup. Totally "modern".

Anyone notice Bert sounding a bit worse for wear? Hope we don't lose that C...

rhino4evr

Love this show..and tonight was a reason why. It has to be the most sharply written show on TV. As usual Roger steals every scene he is in.

Amir0x

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Love this show..and tonight was a reason why. It has to be the most sharply written show on TV. As usual Roger steals every scene he is in.

I lol'd at "make you'll get to stuff her turkey"

PBY

Banned
soooooo pissssssed; I've been waiting for this premiere for so long, and my AMC HD channel is all fucked up for some reason-screen keeps getting pixelated and distorted, sound is all messed up; this would normally be fine, but I had DVRed it to watch w/o commercials... BLEH

gonna catch the reairing in AMC SD :/

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
damn good episode! i took great enjoyment out of how the their collective desire for a 2nd floor manifested itself into that ad. just brilliant.

Great premiere.

Nothing extraordinary by Mad Men's ridiculously high standards, but season premieres are rarely extraordinary episodes. The episode served a very practical purpose - establishing exactly where everyone is and what they're doing. Since the Season 3 was pure chaos, we needed to get up to speed, and Weiner did it without being talky and exposition-laden. Bravo.

Obviously, Betty is as bad a parent as always, but I love how Weiner showed how Don completely wasted his weekend with the kids. Hopefully those who despise Betty didn't miss that. Poor kids. Both of their parents suck.

Peggy is a genius, and so ridiculously ahead of her time. It's nice to see her on a more level footing with Don. The banter between them was fun.

Great, great ep. I'm so excited for the rest of the season.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
BertramCooper said:
Great premiere.

Nothing extraordinary by Mad Men's ridiculously high standards, but season premieres are rarely extraordinary episodes. The episode served a very practical purpose - establishing exactly where everyone is and what they're doing. Since the Season 3 was pure chaos, we needed to get up to speed, and Weiner did it without being talky and exposition-laden. Bravo.

Obviously, Betty is as bad a parent as always, but I love how Weiner showed how Don completely wasted his weekend with the kids. Hopefully those who despise Betty didn't miss that. Poor kids. Both of their parents suck.

Peggy is a genius, and so ridiculously ahead of her time. It's nice to see her on a more level footing with Don. The banter between them was fun.

Great, great ep. I'm so excited for the rest of the season.

I was thinking that too. Though it's been a year of weekend like this. I figure the kids and Don have fallen into a standard parent separation monotony.

Also interesting that Don moved to Waverly and 6th. Not uptown or midtown. Especially since, IIRC, the office is in midtown, I believe he said the Time-Life Building.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also interesting that Don moved to Waverly and 6th. Not uptown or midtown. Especially since, IIRC, the office is in midtown, I believe he said the Time-Life Building.

It's a straight shot on the subway, though, or a short cab ride. Perhaps he wanted to connect with his bo-ho side that he had with Midge or when in CA.

OneEightZero said:
I was thinking that too. Though it's been a year of weekend like this. I figure the kids and Don have fallen into a standard parent separation monotony.
Fair point. My parents are happily married, so I have no experience in this area. But the sequence definitely implies that Don and his children get very little out of their time together.

There's no doubt that Don loves his children, but he's repeatedly shown that he's unwilling to devote any considerable time or effort toward being an effective parent. I thought perhaps that his divorce would wake him up, but clearly, it hasn't made much of a difference.

Damn, if Don Draper has to pay for sex then we are all fucked.

Anyways amazing episode and the love the new direction they are taking with the characters.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Nice premiere. The workplace shake-up looks like it's going to pay off. I hope we don't see nearly this much Betty/Henry/kids going forward, though.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I want more, this episode is just a tease.

Rapping Granny said:
He's obviously not in the mindset to date (connect), so he relies on the impersonal connection that he gets from consumable sex.

Mairu

Rapping Granny said:

Anyways amazing episode and the love the new direction they are taking with the characters.
I don't think he's paying for the sex, he's paying for the weird fetish :lol

squicken

BertramCooper said:

Yep as much as I dislike Betty for her terrible parenting (Henry's mother was dead on in her assessment), Don is basically absent to the kids. He wanted to see baby Gene, but it's more that Don is interested in the idea of his kids than actually dealing with them.

Loved the new office. Very sharp. The show's production team is a huge reason it's great.

Chris R

What a great episode. I was thinking it was going to be slow and dull the entire way through, but that was just a setup for the back half of the episode. Nice to see Don lying at the end of the episode though :lol Can't wait to see how long it does take them to get a second floor

rhino4evr

I feel like the only person that finds Dons situation at home interesting. Personally I think Henry is going to leave Betty and she is going to become an emotional wreck. She has been so cold, I think she is going to break

oatmeal

Banned
My wife and I were convinced that Betty and her husband (can't remmeber his name for some reason) were dead in the garage :lol

Would have been a truly morbit twist.

HENRY!!! That's his name.

anyway, great episode...I watched at my brother in law's house and he has DirectTV...son of a bitch.

May need to rewatch at home in HD.

AnkitT

It was pretty good till the ending, where it turned awesome! I thought that the 2nd floor thing on the ad would be a gag or something at first. :lol

This was the best season opener I've ever seen. There is something quite different about this show, Mad Men has a lot of things other shows juts do not have. I'm thrilled Sunday nights are full of win again, entourage - top gear & now Mad Men. Just wish Californication would hurry up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom