• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotless Mind said:
Yeah, she definitely gave off some crazy stalker vibes. I hope she doesn't return. That whole subplot was a bore and the weakest part of the season.

The only Don mistress i found the slightest bit interesting was Rachel Menken.

Rachel Menken = the hottest character on the show. Yes, that includes Joan.

Man, Matthew Weiner does not like spoilers...
THR Live Feed said:
‘Mad Men’ creator ’shocked’ by spoilers

"Mad Men" creator Matthew Weiner is famously protective of his show's secrets. So he wasn't a big fan of Alessandra Stanley’s spoiler-laden preview of the AMC drama's fourth season in the New York Times last weekend, which Weiner says revealed way too much.

“I was shocked – really shocked,” Weiner says of the piece, which disclosed the status of Don and Betty Draper's relationship and key details about the employees of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. “I would love to have it known that this was done totally without my approval.”

Of course, critics and other media types typically get advance copies of new episodes, and Stanley regularly reviews TV for the Times. But journalists usually honor requests to keep key story details to themselves. And AMC, mindful of Weiner's sensitivities, included with every “Mad Men” mailing a note that asked writers not to reveal spoilers.

“Ninety-nine percent of the reporters who wrote about the show did not write about the story,” Weiner says. “A lot of people told me they were blindsided by (the Stanley article).”

He adds, “You’d think the New York Times wouldn’t have to scoop me.”

Weiner’s history with protecting spoilers goes back to his days working on “The Sopranos,” when people would come up to him and ask, “What happens next?”

“I’d say, 'Do you really want to know?’ and then they’d say, 'Not really.’ It’s bittersweet when you don’t get to have the experience of seeing the show as it was meant to be seen. In some ways, it ruins the show.”

Will there be any repercussions?

“I’m kind of powerless,” says Weiner. “It’s the bargain you make: I wanted to have press, and it was nice to get that kind of space with those pictures. The alternative is not to share these things with the press any more – but how can you expect journalists to write about the show if you don’t?

“It was all very disappointing to me.”

BenjaminBirdie said:
Very cool.

Amir0x

Banned
^^^ :lol :lol @ "Washing Machines" under Temptations

You know, the only thing about the Mad Men storylines so far that has bugged me is Joan's rape. It really... like... it happened. And then, there was a little uncomfortableness... and then literally it was like nothing happened and they got married and now it's about trying to make a living.

I wonder where this storyline is going. I know they love to swing plot points around at the most unexpected moments, but man this one is excruciating to wait for because while I'm waiting it just seems like a really bizarre and pointless side plot.

Amir0x said:
You know, the only thing about the Mad Men storylines so far that has bugged me is Joan's rape. It really... like... it happened. And then, there was a little uncomfortableness... and then literally it was like nothing happened and they got married and now it's about trying to make a living.
That was definitely one of the most shocking moments on the show. I think I see where Weiner is going with it, though.

For the time period, Joan is an unusually independent woman. She is intelligent, assertive and an extremely accomplished professional. But because of societal pressures, she sold herself short. She gave up on her career because she found a man that seemed perfect. She fell in love with the idea of Dr. Greg Harris and the life she thought he would give her. And she quickly discovered that he's a jackass determined to humiliate and belittle her.

With her husband going to Vietnam (and quite possibly to his death) and SCDP offering her a second chance at her career, I think we're going to see Joan reassert herself and become the independent Queen Bee she once was.

Fatalah

Watch party in Times Square on Sunday. These models caught me off guard in front of Penn a few minutes ago.

HRQTY.jpg

Chris R

Speaking of fine as hell, Jones was on Fallon tonight. Fucking hate her character on the show but daaaaaaaaaamn she is smoking.

tabsina

Spotless Mind said:
Yeah, she definitely gave off some crazy stalker vibes. I hope she doesn't return. That whole subplot was a bore and the weakest part of the season.

The only Don mistress i found the slightest bit interesting was Rachel Menken.

Agreed.. I'm glad they completely cut off that story in the second or third last episode of the season - it was slowing down the show unnecessarily..

The LA mistress was just.. I don't even know what was going on in those episodes

Season premiere is on tonight!
TV.com said:
Public Relations

Don deals with a trade-paper interview but doesn't want to talk about himself. A manufacturer of a "wholesome" two-piece bathing suit wants to hire the firm but doesn't want anything too risque. Pete and Peggy try to secure more money for the firm.
5dqozo.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
Aargh. Stuck without access to AMC for the next month. Does anyone have any idea how fast Apple posts episodes up for their season pass? I'm really tempted to get it if it means I can catch the show in HD just a day after it airs.

tabsina said:
Agreed.. I'm glad they completely cut off that story in the second or third last episode of the season - it was slowing down the show unnecessarily..

The LA mistress was just.. I don't even know what was going on in those episodes

I disagree about that subplot being unnecessarily, it was key in showing a) how reckless Don was getting about his marriage after promising to be faithful and b) seeing him have regrets about his brother.

Amir0x

Banned
brotkasten said:
I remember the rules a bit different. Drink every time when someone lights a cigarette.

you'll be drunk within the first five minutes! Puking by the time it hits thirty minutes! And have alcohol poisoning by the end of the hour!

I'm rewatching S3 to prepare and Bert's "After all, who's really signing this contract anyway?" might be the sickest shit anyone has ever done on TV ever.

FUCKING OWNED.

S1lent

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm rewatching S3 to prepare and Bert's "After all, who's really signing this contract anyway?" might be the sickest shit anyone has ever done on TV ever.

FUCKING OWNED.

Haha yeah, one of the best moments of the show.

Amir0x

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

FUCKING OWNED.

3. Don Draper, Roger Sterling, Bert Cooper and Pryce and the "gathering of the team."
Here's a moment that single handedly pulls together every little rumbling plot point and merges them, like some sweet conductor and his orchestra. It's like the best part of heist movies, only it's better because we've had three seasons to get acquainted with the players. So many memorable moments... "Happy Christmas!" The return of Joan. Don forced to admit Pete and Peggy's worth. "You're a whore!"
Stunning stuff.

2. Bert Cooper's confrontation with Don Draper.
My fucking God! The tension when Don walked through that door and Bert was sitting in his seat... I nearly fucking bit my nails off in excitement. Perfect example of how talking scenes can be infinitely more entertaining than CG and action. Just when Bert's face turned hard... "Would you say I know things about you, Don, that nobody else does?" Snap. He got him. Don's look was of instant defeat. "Whose to say who is really signing this contract anyway, right?"
SO GOOD.

1. Sal and Don have a talk about his future.
Or rather Don's implicit homophobia finally comes out and he essentially implies that Sal should have pimped himself out in the name of saving a client. "You people" he mutters out loud... as if to imply gay people are all sex crazed maniacs and he has some balls to to be gay and not do what is damn well expected! Don has really transformed. In Season 1, he was sort of a character I could relate to at times. He had times when I could empathize. But the stress has turned him out. There's little left to love in Don. Besides how amazingly the writers have made his character.

BONUS:

4. Peggy Olson finds out she's not so important after all...
"BECAUSE THERE'S NOT A SINGLE THING YOU'VE DONE HERE SO FAR THAT I COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT." God damn. That shit hurt my feelings and I don't even work there! Don is a fucking dick.

5. Roger Sterling singing "My Old Kentucky Home"
in Black Face. My god that shook me awake. You always knew these characters were products of their time, quite contemptible in their own right. But the writers make you empathize with them sometimes, make you start getting comfortable in the period. Then they pick just the right moment to wake me up.
It's funny this same episode we got Peggy
smoking weed
which wasn't very shocking at all to my modern eye, but would have been probably amazingly shocking in the era. The reverse.

Mrbob

Oh goddddddddddd I don't know what to do tonight.

Mad Men conflicts with Entourage, and also I do not get AMC HD. I gotta watch this show in SD blehhhhhhhh. :(

I might wait for it to go On Demand tomorrow to see it without commercials.

NH Apache

Banned
Just for fun:

axob5d.jpg

Kickin it. Sapphire straight up, very dirty, extra olives please.

Edit: And the GF's

2wr3hc9.jpg

She has a little Joan in her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom