• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL 15 - Now Available for Pre-Purchase on Xbox One

I've been posting in the online section of PS4 madden. I've been playing this game since Thursday, and I have to give EA Props. This is the best Madden has played since the 2005 version. It has some quirks they need to clean up the tackling, they still haven't made a get skinny animation for the RB to get through the line, it still suffers from "mario running" in this regard. Running animations need to be cleaned up as well.

Madden 15 is a damn good game period. Now just clean up those F'd up falling all over the place, causing the runner to get extra yards after contact pile up.

And oh, if you still have your PS3 and you had the Elite Plus App. I will advise you to download the "football app" and play this game with the Elites, it is next level.

Bog

Junior Ace
I've been posting in the online section of PS4 madden. I've been playing this game since Thursday, and I have to give EA Props. This is the best Madden has played since the 2005 version. It has some quirks they need to clean up the tackling, they still haven't made a get skinny animation for the RB to get through the line, it still suffers from "mario running" in this regard. Running animations need to be cleaned up as well.

Madden 15 is a damn good game period. Now just clean up those F'd up falling all over the place, causing the runner to get extra yards after contact pile up.

And oh, if you still have your PS3 and you had the Elite Plus App. I will advise you to download the "football app" and play this game with the Elites, it is next level.

What's it add to the experience?

Played a fair amount on the preview... Sure, only 6 hours worth, but so far the game feels really improved and a lot of big and small improvements.

Off the bat, I bumped the game down to "Slow" for gamespeed, which I always prefer. I'm playing on all pro. On All Pro with "Normal" gamespeed, it felt too fast for me... but that's just a preference.

First of all, the gameplay feels right. Players have a weight to them and a fast nimble back feels that way, while a lumbering back has more weight and momentum. Players just feel like they move how they should and your movements make a difference.

More on gameplay, for the first time that I can remember there are actually realistic overthrows and incompletions. In Madden years past, we all know that Qb's would go 25 / 35 and all 10 incompletions would be either dropped passes, batted balls, dropped interceptions, or interceptions. When, halelujah, you actually have poorly thrown balls in this year that go beyond the WR or out of bounds or short, or are just off. Getting a 3rd down stop and having the ball just sail over the head of the WR and fall harmlessly to the ground felt a lot better than having my safety drop an easy interception, even though the result of the play is the game. Seems great.

New playcalling: Actually improved. Madden has tried to speed up the game in the past few years with the playcalling changes, but there's always been a sacrifice of choice for speed and often times, the coaches suggestions are very limited and just lousy plays that you don't want to run. The new enhanced suggestions play calling works and having 6 coaches suggestions, then 3 strategy suggestions,a nd then 6 community suggestions gives enough choice and balance while also keeping the focus on gameplay and less on menus. Though, when I do go back to the traditional playcalling which I do occassionally, I find the "expand / collapse" animation takes a little too long when you're trying to whip through plays and formations. But it hasn't gotten in the way at all and it's only when I go to traditional play calling that I run into this which is usually 1 - 3 plays a game.

Oh and FINALLY with the no huddle has been dramatically improved on offense. First, you can run a no huddle tempo if you want to.. this is similar to NCAA's tempo settings, but tweaked. No huddle tempo actually gives you full playcall screen but gets you to the line without dropping any time off the playclock and it's a quick tempo. Kill clock, or whatever, is like NCAA's where you take 30 seconds off the playclock every time. BUt, when calling an impromptu no huddle, you get full access to your playbook... not the limited 4 or 5 audibles like in year's past. Thank god for this, it's a hell of a lot more realistic and makes the no huddle valuable.

New quick camera changes are a significant improvement to Madden. being able to change on the fly depending on the type of playcall you have is awesome.

Defensive camera is good, it's better than NCAA's old player lock option, but I don't use it for long. I just don't find it as effective so I usually switch back. I use it mostly on the D-Line or when blitzing a line backer. It provides no advantage, but it mixes it up sometimes... and the benefit of being able to toggle it preplay on the field makes it useful. If I had to go into a menu to toggle that I'd never ever use it.

The game looks incredible. If you don't think that these graphics are improved you're insane. You can't tell that much with the gameplay camera when it's pulled back, but there are improvements there... but when it's close up, especially during the opening kickoff, right after touchdowns, and other ingame cinematic times, it's great.

The crowd noise and reaction is great.

Commentary is still pretty bad, mostly the same. It's improved but still mostly sucks. The pregame commentary from the guy in the studio when it goes into the game is natural and feels right... It surprises me that it flows so naturally. I can't tell if maybe they recorded every potential game scenario, but when I played the Bears vs. the Cardinals (which isn't really that "likely" of a matchup), the pregame commentary was relevant and stitched really well, he mentioned it would be a measure of two wide receivers, Larry Fitz and Brandon Marshall, and had both guys compared side by side on the screen with their season stats. Felt really good and normal, something you'd expect to see.

There's one very subtle improvement that I never thought I'd ask for but it's an improvement. There is no opening coin toss really... The coin toss is just simulated before the game, which makes a lot of sense. As a coach, before the game, you have coin toss options... "Receive first," "Defend first," "Take wind," "against wind," this is all on the controller select screen. And then the game loads right into the kickoff after the pre-game commentary. Some people might not like this and might like the coin toss for some weird reason but I never thought that this would be an improvement until actually noticing it and realizing that loading straight into the opening kickoff is way more realistic and TV-like. It's pretty rare that you're watching an NFL game and it shows the opening coin toss like how it's always shown in Madden years past, UNLESS it's a noteworthy game like the Super Bowl. And, FWIW, there IS still a coin toss if you go to Over time, that has not been removed.

The halftime show is pretty good, good to see those highlights and most of them are important plays. In game replays are great and quick. New injury timeouts look good. I like that they made a more TV-like timeout when you call timeout but it can get annoying late in games when you're calling TO just to stop the clock, instead it sort of goes into a TV-style cut of "Let's take a break for this timeout..." type thing. It's fine and not a big deal but I'd like to see that tuned down in late games when you're obviously calling timeout just to stop the clock.

At half time and quarters, I like how it has the pull away for "this game is brought to you by Head and Shoulders, the shampoo of the NFL.." or whatever it is. SOme people might think this is in game advertising, which sure, it is, but it's realistic too and happens similar to real games. Of course, you can "A" through them if you want to and they will never appear. But if you let the presentation take over between quarters you'll see it. They have a few of them, I've seen Verizon and H&S so far.

On the play types... I did the training camp which was fine. The gauntlet mode is fine but I didn't thnk it was amazing or anything. The other drills, some repeats from the past, bu a bunch of new ones with new descriptions and setup seemed good. A whole new area for "Strategy" which teaches you the strategy of specific plays and playcalling. This is something that Madden should have done a long time ago and I think it's a great addition.

I also played MUT for about 10 mins. I've never been an MUT guy and I likely won't this year, but I like how they had a bunch of video tutorials and overlays when you start MUT, like a guided experience.. "Do this, now do this, now do this..." felt like a tutorial in Civ 5,which I need because I don't get MUT at all. But, this helped me understand it a bit more and I liked it. I still probably won't play MUT in any meaningful way, but I liked the improvements.

Did not go into CCM at all, just leaving that for retail.

Overall I think Madden vets will really like this year's game from what I've played of it. Gameplay seems really strong and the graphics at certain points look really, really good... especially on those opening kickoffs. New presentation layers are appreciated, especially the small ones. People who hate Madden every year should probably still pass on it... It's a ton of improvements, but it's still a Madden game and if you live to hate Madden then you won't like this one any more than any other Madden game in the last 10 years. But, if you're open minded and haven't bought Madden in a while, this is the version to get.

-edit-
Just quickly, I did run into a few bugs/issues but nothing really crazy:
  • Punt return, if you switch to defensive camera, then switch back to regular cam, and use the "jump snap" as the punt returner, I was unable to get the punt returner to move... he just locked up and let the ball bounce pass him. Only experienced it once, all of the others were normal.
  • No-huddle is a little too fast when you're on defense. The cam zooms in on the QB doing preplay reads and it doesn't giv you enough time as a defender to make adjustments.
  • Some visual bugs, like Geno smith came out at the beginning of the game and his face flicker and disappeared. Also on no huddle pass while I had the defensive game the game got overly contrasted visually and produced some field flickering post-play. None of these made any impact on the game while playing it, but both were weird. Haven't seen it since that first game against the Jets.

Also some things still annoying.. Xbox still automatically records EVERY touchdown, which is really annoying. A clever feature poorly implemented. You can turn it off but then I think it turns off all auto-recording. I'd rather it just not record every TD and let me use "Xbox Record That" for that.. but w/e.

This will be my first madden since 2012. I always sucked at football in real life and in video games. Do you guys have any tips for getting better at Madden I always get destroyed by friends.

I'm not much of a Madden player but this does feel Next-Gen to me. Good execution.

The only real problem is the lack of quality presentation. It's interesting that NHL ended up going with an NBC partnership yet Madden still has generic overlays. I think they really need to step up their game on commentary and maybe make a partnership with someone to add in a network presentation. They can give these games the feel of a real broadcast.

M.W.

I'm not much of a Madden player but this does feel Next-Gen to me. Good execution.

The only real problem is the lack of quality presentation. It's interesting that NHL ended up going with an NBC partnership yet Madden still has generic overlays. I think they really need to step up their game on commentary and maybe make a partnership with someone to add in a network presentation. They can give these games the feel of a real broadcast.
Madden uses CBS overlays.

mr stroke

Pretty impressed with the game so far. Visuals are much improved and player weight feels much better.

now if they could only do something with that terrible commentary

This will be my first madden since 2012. I always sucked at football in real life and in video games. Do you guys have any tips for getting better at Madden I always get destroyed by friends.

The training camp mode in the game has some normal play tips, but more importantly, it has strategy tips that will show you the ropes on what plays work best in different situations.

My advice if you're not very good is to just play conservative. Use a lot of cover 2 and cover 3, these are defensive plays that are available in most formations. If you play conservative, you can probably win 50% of your games by just playing cover 2 or 3 and waiting for your opponent to make mistakes.

Madden has an awesome new training tutorial mode called "Football concepts." It goes into a good amount f depth on how to read defense and what to do when that defense appears.

Also some things still annoying.. Xbox still automatically records EVERY touchdown, which is really annoying. A clever feature poorly implemented. You can turn it off but then I think it turns off all auto-recording. I'd rather it just not record every TD and let me use "Xbox Record That" for that.. but w/e.

Yup, that shit is stupid. You mentioned earlier about the flickering if the faces. I notice that happens a lot more frequently on replays when you mess with the camera.

Spades

One thing that's bugged me in Madden since forever is punts - they always bounce and run straight into the end zone. Elite punters should be able to add backspin like they do in real life so you've actually got a chance of landing a punt inside the 10 without just kicking it out of bounds.

The Screen Play is severely artificially hamstrung. I've been testing the screen play in practice mode all types of screens(playing as Steelers All Pro Game Speed: Slow) and I have found that the Programmers have programmed the QB to stride in quicksand. If you start the screen under center they will allow you the natural stride the first 3 steps after that the QB enters quicksand mode slowing him down so much so and they speed up the DLineman making the screen play from under center virtually impossible.

The same can be said about the screenplay from the shotgun. Even though you start with separation you enter quicksand mode on your first step but you still can to a lessor degree make the throw.

I have found in order to make the screenplay somewhat successful is you have to hit the R2 Sprint button which makes your QB turns his back to the Lind of Scrimage(LOS) which is unrealistic to make the throw.

Go to practice mode and try it for yourself. When I get home I'm going to change the game speed to normal and see if that makes a difference.

I'm playing on the PS4.

By the way, the Xbox One version has a Smartglass companion which is pretty cool. It displays the timer, shows the percentages of the plays and play types you have been running, ect. It's a cool thing to have up if you are playing with friends, but if you are playing solo then it might be too much of a chore to be looking at as the play clock ticks down.

By the way, the Xbox One version has a Smartglass companion which is pretty cool. It displays the timer, shows the percentages of the plays and play types you have been running, ect. It's a cool thing to have up if you are playing with friends, but if you are playing solo then it might be too much of a chore to be looking at as the play clock ticks down.

Both consoles have second screen app.

Top Bottom