• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '15 |OT| Now This is Current Gen

NiTX2a2.png

It's Madden Season

Another year, another Madden, right? After a paultry entry into NextGen Current Gen with Madden '25, the EA Sports Tiburon team vowed to deliver a truly NextGen Current Gen Madden with Madden NFL '15. But is this just Madden '25 with a new roster update?

General Information
  • Available on: PS4, XBox One, PS3, XBox 360, iOS (mobile version), Android (mobile version)
  • Release date: Tuesday, 8/26/2014 (Early release available 8/21/2014 on Xbox One with EA Access)
  • Price: $59.99 ($53.99 USD with EA Access on Xbox One)

8Rsc2iS.jpg

New Features

Gameplay Videos
Playlist of some 70 Madden Gameplay videos

7NSJIGg.jpg

Early GAF Reviews
Taken from the Madden Pre-release for Xbox One thread

The game is great - it's a significant upgrade over Madden 25.

I've been playing this game since Thursday, and I have to give EA Props. This is the best Madden has played since the 2005 version. It has some quirks they need to clean up the tackling, they still haven't made a get skinny animation for the RB to get through the line, it still suffers from "mario running" in this regard. Running animations need to be cleaned up as well.

Pretty impressed with the game so far. Visuals are much improved and player weight feels much better.

It plays good. Defense is way more fun to play. I love the addition of the defense oriented camera and all the new small mechanical additions. Tackling is way more precise and engaging. You overall feel like you have more control of every situation.

I still think the game could look better. It doesn't really feel like a generational leap. It doesn't give me that NBA 2k14 PS3-PS4 impression. The physics are still great, animations are superb for the most part. I think the most important is how it plays and that seems great, but they really need to work on the visuals.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I genuinely feel like buying this game after playing about an hour or so. I'm not the biggest madden guy, but I've messed around a bit with the previous game and this one seems so much improved.

This game is leaps and bounds better than Madden 25, like, it's not even funny how much of an improvement this version is.

So happy so far with Madden 15 this year. Leaps and bounds better than 25. Sure, it still has some issues, most notably with the defensive line being able to jump like basketball players on occasion (not that often, but still sometimes) and the occasional rubber band ai mounting unstoppable comebacks, but other than that I love it.

Damn, they knocked it out of the park. I can't believe how much better it is than 25. There are moments where you would think that it was a real game, if you did not know any better. It's pretty easily the best football game I have ever played.

I played one full game so far and like some others have said, this years game is leagues better than last years. It looks extremely crisp and clean. It seems like it is running at a better resolution or something because it looks really good. I have not been into Madden for a while, but I think I might jump in after playing it for a bit.

Played a fair amount on the preview... Sure, only 6 hours worth, but so far the game feels really improved and a lot of big and small improvements.

I've honestly really really been impressed with the preview, and I'm a giant Madden hater.

It's the best entry in the Madden series ever.

eOvkE0J.jpg

Gaming Press Reviews

GAF Community Links

Notes
Realized there wasn't an OT for Madden this year and it comes out tomorrow, so I just put this together as quickly as I could. If you have any information you would like to include in the OT please let me know. As reviews come in, I'll be adding them. I also have a lot of personal reactions from the M15 early release on XBox One, so I'll post this in a reply in this thread.

Game play looks exactly the same, animations are clunky, this looks horrible and I haven't even played Madden in years. I can't believe a game from 9 years ago outperforms this still (NFL 2k5). When is the NFL monopoly with EA up again?

Branson

Game play looks exactly the same, animations are clunky, this looks horrible and I haven't even played Madden in years. I can't believe a game from 9 years ago outperforms this still (NFL 2k5). When is the NFL monopoly with EA up again?
I haven't played a football game since 2k5 and I even thought this year was the first time it looked good enough to pick up in all of those years since then. It really does look like an improvement to me and I'm one of the hugest backers of 2k5. It looks like the first one to really give it a run for being better than that game.

newsguy

I agree with the GAF reviews of the early access version. It feels completely different than 25. Player weight is much improved and the pace of the game is better. I'm actually excited about Madden this year. Usually I just buy it to scratch an itch, but 15 seems genuinely fun.

Skele7on

Banned
Really enjoying the new defence system. This game really feels like an actual upgrade and as for the new QB cam it's great I can focus on player routes more then just the QB's ass!

If you like madden but this game!

This is a OT bruh.. let the game breathe one time man damn

edit: If you trolling then you good.. if not...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I've honestly really really been impressed with the preview, and I'm a giant Madden hater.

It's the best entry in the Madden series ever.

gthobbes

Banned
Yawn -- we see this same stuff from Madden fans every year.

Somebody wake me up when there is a football that's on par with NFL 2k5, or better yet, NBA 2k14 and MLB The Show (PS4). Until then, my $60 is staying in my pocket.

RoKKeR

I like the title, and I was extremely impressed with the 6 hours or so I played of Madden 15. I can't justify picking it up brand new but I'll keep my eye on it.

How ling do you think it takes until EA adds this to the Vault?

j-wood

I wonder if this will have remote play with vita?

Also, I haven't played Madden in years. How do these games work with roster updates now?

Example, my team is the Titans. I'm going to take a leap of faith and say they are not rated well on release of this game. But if some miracle happens and by mid-season we are undefeated or something, does Madden update stats for each team?

kyo27

I played the full 6 hours with the EA access. Really enjoyed it. In terms of visuals, the game looks really impressive but only if you play a day game outdoors. The lighting just doesn't look right at night and in domes.

eznark

Banned

Somebody wake me up when there is a football that's on par with NFL 2k5, or better yet, NBA 2k14 and MLB The Show (PS4). Until then, my $60 is staying in my pocket.

Hopefully next year Madden will destroy its online capabilities and force you to spend a shitload on microtransactions like those two paragon's of sports video games. Until then we'll have to make due with the best online franchise mode in gaming and zero forced microtransactions.

Life is hard.

Branson

Well you should look at this game then. I haven't exactly played it yet. But it's the first one to grab my attention since 2k5 and that says a lot since I don't even watch football and loved that game. This really does look like one of the best maddens yet.

Mrbob

I like the title, and I was extremely impressed with the 6 hours or so I played of Madden 15. I can't justify picking it up brand new but I'll keep my eye on it.

How ling do you think it takes until EA adds this to the Vault?
I wouldn't expect madden 15 in the vault until around the release of Madden 16.

LegoArmo

I only buy Madden every few years, so I've pre-ordered this from the US PlayStation store. Looks like I picked a good one.

Branson

Since I'm out of the loop on the game modes since I haven't played one since 2k5, is there an offline franchise mode still? All I ever hear about is connected franchise and I could care less about online in a madden game.

Madden 15 made my EAaccess worth it. This Madden is the first one since 2005 that I'm really looking forward to. Had a lot of fun playing the game . Love the presentation, models and animation. I remember Madden 2006 on the 360 looked amazing. But then, after 2007 they went back to those PS2 type models that I always hated. Glad that the models in this version look great.

anddo0

Pretender to the throne.

ESPN_NFL_2K5.jpg

Never forget. I still have my copy.

Reading the review at Operation Sports doesn't help my purchase chances. I'll be watching from the sidelines until they improve the sim stats. It sounds like this game needs a number of patches out the box.

Madden 15 is missing two things that helped make 2K5 so awesome.

1. Animations. As real and awesome as Madden 15 looks, it still lacks the fluid feel 2K5 had with the way payers moved in and out of contact.

2. A simple online league function that lets a few friends play limited schedule of flames just against their friends.

Neither of these are deal breakers. While Madden 25 still lacks those animations, the game still provides plenty of feedback and realism. It's a great game of football.

And EA went all in with the Connected Franchise mode, which is kind of cool. Letting the CPU take over teams that you don't have a human for, and letting 6 friends play in a full 32 team league is great. It's just a bummer that they felt like they had to eliminate custom leagues. I'd still rather have six guys play a 10 game schedule in a league where we draft our own players.

But everything else is pretty great, and in the end, it's a better game than 2K5. I say that as someone who even played half a dozen seasons of APFB 2K8 with friends. We even manually had a draft of players and created out leagues. The ams was just a slight upgrade over 2K5, but custom uniforms and playing with legends was a blast, and infinitely more fun than Madden.

I have no qualms buying this digitally ands having it pre-loaded so it is ready to go at midnight. It's got plenty of modes, and I have no doubt thatI will get a crazy number of hours of enjoyment out of it after my brief Early Access with it.

Majanew

Banned
Please be in Redbox tomorrow. Please be in Redbox tomorrow.

I haven't led the Falcons to the Super Bowl since Madden '10. I'm jonesing, man. I'm Julio Jonesing!

MXRider

what are the deals?

They had a $25 trade in credit for Madden 25 last week, you also got a $10 coupon off Madden 15 when you traded Madden 25 in.

I picked up Madden 25 for around $10 and traded it in to Best Buy for $35. So since I have GCU I get Madden 15 for $48 + $10 best buy gc.

So Im paying $13(+$10 I payed for 25) for the game and a $10 gift cert,

I wonder if this will have remote play with vita?

Also, I haven't played Madden in years. How do these games work with roster updates now?

Example, my team is the Titans. I'm going to take a leap of faith and say they are not rated well on release of this game. But if some miracle happens and by mid-season we are undefeated or something, does Madden update stats for each team?
They release weekly updates to player stats throughout the season.

I got 1 hour left on my trial which I plan to use up tonight... The gameplay remains fairly similar bit the graphics and presentation are a huge step up... I already dropped my money for the digital preorder.

Top Bottom