• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '18 |OT| From 199 to The Greatest of All Time

BUF6VHH.jpg

Features
  • Longshot - Longshot is Madden NFL's first ever cinematic and playable story mode where your decisions lead forgotten prospect, Devin Wade on the pursuit to hear his name called on NFL draft day.
  • Powered by Frostbite - The spectacle of NFL gameday comes to life in our most photo-realistic game to date.
  • MUT Squads - Online Team play is Back, Bring your best players to the field when you team up with friends to build your Ultimate Team of NFL stars and compete online together for the win.
  • Play Now Live - Take the field with your favorite team, or play the best weekly matchup using live updates containing the latest rosters, custom commentary, and up-to-date stats from NFL.com. Then continue your season all the way to the Super Bowl from Play Now.
  • New Play Styles - Simulation, Arcade, and Competitive, with the gameplay tuning to your preference
  • Coach Adjustments - Customize the AI to fit your game plan and make situational changes to your strategy on the fly, as the game demands.
  • Target Passing - Throw to who you want, in the exact spot on the field you want, with all-new Target Passing. This gives you ultimate control over where the ball is thrown.
  • More ways to customize Dynasty - Play weekly full-game matchups or get through a season quickly by playing as just the offense, defense, or key moments from the game in Franchise Mode.

AGXO0Yw.png

Available On: Xbox One, Playstation 4, Xbox One X, Playstation 4 Pro
Release Date & Price
  • EA Access (Xbox One): 8/16/2017 (Available now) - 10 Hour Trial, Free w/ EA Access
  • G.O.A.T. Edition (X1 & PS4): 8/22/2017 - $79.99
  • Standard Edition (X1 & PS4): 8/25/2017 - $59.99
Capabilities: Madden NFL 18 will support 4K on release date on PS4 Pro. It will receive a patch for Xbox One X supporting 4K and, reportedly, HDR when the Xbox One X is released. It is unknown whether the PS4 Pro version supports HDR at this time. The game runs at 60fps in all versions (PS4, X1, PS4 Pro, X1X). The 4K rendering format is currently unknown.

CFM Features
  • read about them here.

Gameplay Features
  • A major gameplay feature is adding three different play styles, Competitive, Arcade, and Simulation.
  • Competitive: Stick skills play a greater role in this mode, and random events will have less of an impact on the game, for instance, random fumbles and injuries will either be dramatically reduced or not happen. This emphasizes player skill and is intended to be used in online and high level vs. play. Poor decisions will give punishing results.
  • Arcade: This is for the Madden player who may play occassionally, wants a high-scoring, offense-friendly mode with broken tackles, amazing receptions, and pinpoint passing. Fewer interceptions, fumbles, injuries, and penalties. High success outcomes for risky plays.
  • Simulation: Primarily for CFM / Franchise players who want to have player stats matter more on the field, with more incompletions, penalties, and injuries. Player attributes come into play more in this mode than in others, and the gameplay follows a more realistic version of videogame football.

Media & Trailers

Gameplay videos from EA Play / GameChangers Event

Be sure to take note in the top left of the scoreboard whether the video is "Simulation," "Competitive," or "Arcade." The game will play a lot differently depending on which mode you select.

Reactions and Reviews
Coming soon!

Gaf Community Links
Please leave comments with your CFM league or other community links

WoolyNinja

Sorry, I haven't been following this but have they shown any actual gameplay that isn't edited with shaky cam and cuts like are seen in those trailers? I love football and would love a reason to jump back into Madden

Sorry, I haven't been following this but have they shown any actual gameplay that isn't edited with shaky cam and cuts like are seen in those trailers? I love football and would love a reason to jump back into Madden

Yeah many youtubers who were sent down to play it recorded gameplay at an event. So there's some actual gameplay out there.

You can watch people playing on twitch now

There's a lot of gameplay since last Monday. I'm adding more to the OP. Should have about 15 gameplay videos up there in about 10mins.

Juno_

Neo Member
Is there a be a pro mode in the trial? If so any better than previous years iterations? I remember last I played you couldn't even get drafted or anything, just had pick a team.

Just played my first full game, the intro game between Atlanta and New England in a pseudo-Super Bowl rematch. Honestly, didn't feel very different from Madden '17. The CPU was definitely more challenging with their running ability and play calling. Brady absolutely picked me apart, going 17/18 with two excellent touchdown throws. His only incompletion was a dropped pass by Gronk into double coverage on the sideline.

CPU defense was much better than last year, but it's still possible to exploit man defense especially with tight ends and crossing routes against man, and the CPU playing man defense is easy to spot and pick apart that way. Though, if you watched my game you wouldn't have thought that way at all... I really struggled and should have thrown several interceptions. The defense was very effective against my passing attack, but some of the same weaknesses appeared in terms of man defense, especially with over-load sides of the field and crossing routes. Zone defense by the CPU seemed much improved, as they handed off my players really effectively and I threw a ton of terrible passes that could have been picked off easily.

CPU's running ability was pretty good. Dion Lewis easily got 70 yards on me only on 9 or 10 carries, though he had a couple that he probably could have busted for very long wrongs, but inopportune jukes or spin moves slowed him down and let my defense close in when he had space.

CPU AI QB shows an unwillingness to move in the pocket. I had 3 sacks on Brady, but one of them was just statuesque in the pocket, not moving until I closed in and destroyed him. On one other he just moved way too late, both were coverage sacks.

CPU as the Patriots beat me 23-17 in the end, although it was 23-10 until the last play. Considering I only lost a handful of times to the CPU in Madden '17, I'm pleased to lose a game, though I'm pretty confident that getting back into Madden mode I should be able to get it back and figure it out.

The game was still installing which is why it forced me into that ATL vs. PATs Super Bowl rematch. There seemingly wasn't an intro mode this year like the last few years, which was odd. Maybe because I started it before the game was fully installed it didn't have that intro installed... But those are usually pretty cool even though they're a bit cheesy. If they dropped the intro mode, after having had one for at least 3 or so years, it'd be weird... Especially when this year is all about the story mode with Longshot.

Over all I have a negative first opinion, when compared to last year. Madden 17 was a good game and this is similarly a good game, but so far, this is a very, very similar game to last years. Nothing jumps out and seems new at all, and knowing that CFM got almost no improvements, I'm definitely not as excited about it was I was Madden '17, which did feel like a solid improvement to '16 and had a lot of fresh features and ideas. With the presentation seemingly identical, announcing seemingly identical at launch (which is something they improve throughout the year), with CFM mode being almost identical, the game needs more than gameplay tuning improvements to really stand out. As it is, after just one game (Still early), It feels like this is "Madden '17.5" to me, or like what Madden '17 should have been after a tuning updates and patches... Not a totally fresh game.

Is there a be a pro mode in the trial? If so any better than previous years iterations? I remember last I played you couldn't even get drafted or anything, just had pick a team.

Madden doesn't really have a 'Be a Pro' like FIFA, NBA 2K, The Show, and now Live 18 do... It has a full single player storyline mode called 'Longshot,' but paradoxically, I don't actually think you play in the NFL in the mode... You take over a player who was a star in High school but I think got injured and has to climb back into getting into the NFL in 'Season 1' (this year). I was pretty critical of focusing on this mode and not franchise mode, but PastaPAdre, the sports game blogger, actually has a lot of positive stuff to say about it. It does look like they actually put a lot of work into it, like even having high school broadcast teams, college football stadiums, college football teams, and more.

Connected Franchise Mode still has the 'Be a Player' stuff, but it's really barebones, at least, it always was, and I don't think it's changed much this year.

Oddly enough, NBA Live 18's Be a Pro is actually pretty decent, and the same team at EA Tiburon is working on both games.

ALso never expected to see this in a videogame released in 2017...

JLa2L7Ml.jpg

Makes me want to pour one out for NCAA Football again.

GravyButt

So whats the actual difference in arcade vs simulation? Does the game play faster? Ive only been able to play a single game which was simulation. I won 54-48 in ot, which certainly didn't seem to sim. It was non stop big plays (because evidently defense doesn't exist in this game?)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Capabilities: Madden NFL 18 will support 4K on release date on PS4 Pro. It will receive a patch for Xbox One X supporting 4K and, reportedly, HDR when the Xbox One X is released. It is unknown whether the PS4 Pro version supports HDR at this time.

why.png

EA, don't play with me now.

After playing a couple games, I am very interested to see this in 4k. I think it looks a little better than 17, but it seems like the AA is worse. Jaggies all over for Xbox. I do like that the players look like humans now. No more Manning with 30" biceps.

Haven't played enough to comment on the gameplay changes yet.

Played a second game and was much more impressed visually than my first game. Gameplay is still more like a 2017.5 to me than a whole new version, but there are a lot of small things that are improved.

After playing the indoor game for the super bowl, my second game was typical clear day, outdoor, 1PM game, and the lighting and shadows are a lot more impressive than when you're inside.

I crushed Miami 20 - 0, though my offense wasn't too hot, but my defense was very stout. Did get a nice strip sack fumble for a TD by Hightower on Cutler.

Uploading to YouTube now.

Would be cool if you guys posted some gifs from the ea access :)

Here's a video of my first full game:
https://youtu.be/nd0zIXNLmkA

THis is the one I was unimpressed by, but second game I was more positive.

FYI, captured by Mixer, the MS streaming app, downloaded, and uploaded to YouTube, so I can't vouch for the quality. Should be 1080p but I'm sure Mixer compresses to hell. NM, my Mixer settings were 720p :(

For gifs check out this Twitter story --

https://twitter.com/pastapadre/status/897888467522158592

Also PastaPadre is loving Longshot which I'm surprised by. He says it's his favorite story mode. I'm surprised but happy to hear that. I wasn't gonna play linghot till the game is fully released because I don't want to spend the trial hours in it.

yuoke

Banned
Haven't played madden since '09....don't know if I want this one, but if the visuals are great an story mode is good, maybe.

Klocker

Damn the graphics really become apparent the more you play. Frostbite man, can not wait to see this on Xbox x .

Game play is improved so far imo over 17 but I'm not a sim head. Just like to have fun and play CPU. Started long shot, could be interesting.

Those graphics though, damn, hope they add HDR

ParityBit

What is the difference between the two versions?

I have not played a football game since 2K5, but the pull of the GOAT has me.

jim2011

We don't know yet. X1X will be hdr and so everybody is expecting PS4 Pro will be but there isn't confirmation yet.

I doubt it at launch. HDR requires basically no extra processing power from my understanding. The Xbox one s and PS4 versions should be hdr too yet the ea access trial clearly is not. I'm betting either all versions get it later or none do at all including Xbox one x.

Also, I'm not impressed with all the jaggies. Will wait for Xbox one x to buy it (or just use ea access).

What is the difference between the two versions?

I have not played a football game since 2K5, but the pull of the GOAT has me.

The GOAT version gives you a bunch of Madden Ultimate Team stuff. Unless you're really into the card trading game it's not worth it at all, or if you want a golden Tom Brady box..... which might be worth it for Brady fans (As a Patriots fan, I considered it).

Madden Ultimate Team is the card trading 'build a team' mode that most sports games have built in the last 5 years. They're insanely popular and huge money makers, but there's a love:hate relationship with them from most players. I personally have no interest in them, but a lot of people who have jumped back into sports games are addicted... There's a strong Loot Crate aspect to them, because as you win games, you unlock packs of cards which give you access to players, uniforms, stadiums, etc., ala something like Rocket League, Counter-Strike, etc. Madden was the first mainstream sports game to introduce a mode like this and now every sports game has some version of it.

The GOAT version is basically a major head start in Ultimate Team mode, as it gives you a couple of stellar players, like a highly rated Tom Brady and a super high rated player from your favorite team, plus some other high rated player packs and a ton of 'contracts' meaning you'll keep those players for probably the life of this game (in MUT, you can land a great player but they have a finite number of times they can play on your team without having to unlock 'contacts' for them).

The whole mode encourages microtransactions... and some purists will insist you can build a great team w/o microtransactions using the challenges and minigames, but it's such a slog that I don't think it's worth it...... and I play a shit load of Madden every year.

KaYotiX

Banned
The GOAT version gives you a bunch of Madden Ultimate Team stuff. Unless you're really into the card trading game it's not worth it at all, or if you want a golden Tom Brady box..... which might be worth it for Brady fans (As a Patriots fan, I considered it).

Madden Ultimate Team is the card trading 'build a team' mode that most sports games have built in the last 5 years. They're insanely popular and huge money makers, but there's a love:hate relationship with them from most players. I personally have no interest in them, but a lot of people who have jumped back into sports games are addicted... There's a strong Loot Crate aspect to them, because as you win games, you unlock packs of cards which give you access to players, uniforms, stadiums, etc., ala something like Rocket League, Counter-Strike, etc. Madden was the first mainstream sports game to introduce a mode like this and now every sports game has some version of it.

The GOAT version is basically a major head start in Ultimate Team mode, as it gives you a couple of stellar players, like a highly rated Tom Brady and a super high rated player from your favorite team, plus some other high rated player packs and a ton of 'contracts' meaning you'll keep those players for probably the life of this game (in MUT, you can land a great player but they have a finite number of times they can play on your team without having to unlock 'contacts' for them).

The whole mode encourages microtransactions... and some purists will insist you can build a great team w/o microtransactions using the challenges and minigames, but it's such a slog that I don't think it's worth it...... and I play a shit load of Madden every year.

Pretty much nailed it. I usually drop $50 on packs through the lifetime of the yearly Madden. Grinding early on with a bad team makes it a slog

ParityBit

I was going to go digital (I am sick of swapping discs to play games!) Do they have the GOAT for digital also? (I am a Pats fan and live a couple miles from Gillette) So the boxed version kinda has some pull.

KaYotiX

Banned
I was going to go digital (I am sick of swapping discs to play games!) Do they have the GOAT for digital also? (I am a Pats fan and live a couple miles from Gillette) So the boxed version kinda has some pull.

I believe they do. Do u have EA access? I buy the boxed copy from best buy using GCU for $48 plus the $10 rewards they give u for preordering then sell it when it hits ea access :)

ParityBit

I believe they do. Do u have EA access? I buy the boxed copy from best buy using GCU for $48 plus the $10 rewards they give u for preordering then sell it when it hits ea access :)

No, I do not. I was just going to get the PS4 version for my Pro.

Maybesew

Running game seems to be much easier at least on the low difficulty solos in MUT.

The longshot is basically a football version of a Telltale game.

jtrov

Was only able to play 2 games before getting some sleep, but there is a lot I like from my small sample size. This was after choosing Simulation / Expert to start the game.

I really enjoyed the upgraded presentation, commentary, and gameplay additions in M17, but the QB AI on All-Madden irritated me to the point where I couldn't even get through a full game without something wanting me to rage quit. So it was a nice sight to see QB's finally make errant or off target passes without me having to artificially create that by blitzing repeatedly. The CPU also felt more intelligent instead of a bunch of super saiyans on the field, where smart calls actually worked, and dumb calls got me burnt. For the first time in a long time it just felt natural and I didn't roll my eyes at some of the shit I was seeing. The CPU run game which was non existent in M17, but in 18 so far I've gone up against Gurley and Lynch, and the cpu finally looked competent and life like when weaving through blockers and defenders.

Tonight I plan on hammering through some Franchise games, because oddly enough Madden tends to play different in play-now, but if the new changes to off the ball injuries and penalties work like they said in CFM, than I may be able to finally start a long running Franchise mode like I did on the PS2 days. Definitely very excited to play more.

My only gripes so far from my limited time is the stone footed QB's and some CPU RB's spin moving multiple times in row and defenders getting stuck in that ridiculous "broken ankles" animation each time.

saltyramen

Oh wow! Fans of the TV series Friday Night Lights in for a nice surprise in Longshot ;)

I love how they're giving you choices. Was FIFA like this? It's super dope! Dialogue and everything a lot better than 2Ks MyCareer

Frostbite is only the rendering right? Animation, gameplay and physics are still copy pasted with the usual yearly tweaks?

This is correct. After playing last night, you wouldnt know frostbite is in the game if they didnt tell you. Yes the graphics look a bit better but nothing unusual from a previous year of madden.

Top Bottom