• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '18 |OT| From 199 to The Greatest of All Time

Put in 10 hours w/trial and it felt way too familiar. I wasn't expecting anything huge but it really felt like 17.5 to me. The lighting really looks improved along with some character models but I was expecting way more varied tackling animations or improved footwork. I think they spent too much time on "Longshot". The gameplay truly needs an overhaul these next couple years. Do story modes after you get a new real-time physics engine in there.

Agreed, to me the gameplay feels like what Madden 17 should have been, which is that M'17 had a good base, but a lot of flaws in gameplay... And M'18 tightened most of those up (though some still remain).

If I were one of those sites that had a "Buy or Don't Buy," then I'd put this Madden in a "Buy only if you're an NFL addict who needs his fix," but otherwise, the game doesn't offer that much compelling stuff for sim-style CFM-focused players. I'm still going to get it because I still generally liked M'17 and enjoy online franchise with some friends, but I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of changes from M'17 to '18. I don't need a real time physics engine, I just need noticable improvements and, above all, a deep, improved franchise mode, which M'18 absolutely didn't get. The slogan for M'18 from the developers was too often "Maybe next year," and while the gameplay is improved, the Frostbite engine looks better and should be good for the future, and Longshot seems interesting, it really does feel like they took a year off to me.

FWIW, I haven't played Longshot yet. Going to wait for the full game for that. Even still I don't think it's worth $60 unless you have no problem dropping $60 on a refreshed game (which is what I'm going to do).

Haven't bought Madden in probably 3 years, but I'm going to snag this. Long shot looks cool, and I'll actually have time to play since all my kids are actually in school this year.
But Brady on the cover... only negative for me so far.

styl3s

First Madden since 99 that I am not going to own.
Out of curiousity why? THis is the first Madden in a long time that actually holds my interest. 3v3 MUT, actual story, Frostbyte, target passing a whole lot more.

First Madden i am buying since like Madden 13.

DMVfan123

Banned
In for this year after skipping Madden 17.
Connected franchise with the new rookies is gonna be so good this year, can't wait to go 16-0 after trading 3 first round picks for Zeke Elliott 'cause Madden

GravyButt

Any tips for running? I was awesome at running last year. This year I cant do anything at all. Majority are for losses

I also cant stop the run either lol

Bsigg12

Any tips for running? I was awesome at running last year. This year I cant do anything at all. Majority are for losses

Stop holding the right trigger when trying to go through the line. RB to squeeze through holes.

Dmented

Banned
Out of curiousity why? THis is the first Madden in a long time that actually holds my interest. 3v3 MUT, actual story, Frostbyte, target passing a whole lot more.

First Madden I am going to buy since... who the hell knows. Finally getting a PS4 Pro.

jmizzal

What are you playing on? Arcade, SIM or competitive and what level?

I played one game on SIM All-Pro and was running all over the place I was pretty surprised

I had the Jags with Fournette playing the Bucks

GravyButt

What are you playing on? Arcade, SIM or competitive and what level?

I played one game on SIM All-Pro and was running all over the place I was pretty surprised

I had the Jags with Fournette playing the Bucks
Sim all pro as the cowboys. Although I was guilty of pressing RT as soon as getting the ball though. That maybe the problem.

Logistic

As someone who hasn't played this series since 2000'ish (moss was on the vikings)...

Is there a dumb downed mode for controls, or is the game still super-simulation? Not looking for blitz, but some type of happy medium.

DMVfan123

Banned
As someone who hasn't played this series since 2000'ish (moss was on the vikings)...

Is there a dumb downed mode for controls, or is the game still super-simulation? Not looking for blitz, but some type of happy medium.

There's an Arcade mode this year that provides a bigger probability for explosive plays. I think this is the mode for you.

DMVfan123

Banned

Other than revisiting the "not holding down R2 or RT button" point everybody's made, from what I've seen in videos the Inside Zone play seems to be very effective this year. Try to find running plays that work the best for you

Smokey

Man the amount of loading in MUT is already getting to me. Too many of the challenges are simple and require going back to the menu when done, loading up another challenge, and then waiting again for loading. Ugh.

Alchemy

Interested in this but also Longshot mode can just completely fuck I'm not interested. I want to make my own players. I wish they'd put in real effort into making playing as player created characters interesting instead of this scripted bullshit.

GravyButt

Took everyone's advice on the running and had a great game.

Now to work on my overall D. Im horrible at calling it and usually just use suggested plays.

Also does anyone use accelerated clock or do you turn it off? Ive been playing 6 minute quarters with 20 second accelerated clock. Seems like stats may be too low.

Rbk_3

I just didn't get into it at all last year. I played in an online franchise for 5 years, but last year I just didn't find it enjoyable and quit early on. I have no interest in MUT, I won't support a mode like that in any game.

The gameplay has really grown on me in the last couple days. In simulation I'm seeing a great variety of play, even from the CPU, and when it's a balanced game ratings wise, the games are pretty good. Had an exciting 36-30 overtime win over Kansas City as Oakland last night, and it was a great game with pretty realistic stat lines in the end.

Some nice observations from my last game:

Forward momentum sack - Really nice to see the defender reach around the offensive lineman to sack Carr, especially without taking him to the ground. Was just a nice new animation.

j1MDzWs.gif

CPU Baits an old money route from M'17 - This route was a money route against the CPU last year... Man defense, you'd get that corner route by the tight end and basically any talentless tight end would get separation from the safety and take it to the house or get a long easy gain. I thought I had that right here, and Eric Berry jumped the route and took it to the the house. Nice to see it.

Alex Smith makes me pay for the blitz - The early videos it looked like CPU QBs would just sit in the pocket and not do anything... Here, Smith rolls away from the blitz (a little forced/fast, but w/e), and then throws a dart to a wide open receiver who was open because of the blitz pickup. THey burned me on a similar play earlier in the game.

ALso, I'm echoing what others have said... I was wrong about Longshot. I thought itd be really have assed and shitty, just a promotion tool for MUT... But you can tell they genuinely put a lot of time and effort into it, with good production value. It's cheesy and it's like cheesy sports movie stuff, but for a videogame sports movie it's surprisingly good... ABout as cheesy as any sports greatness movie. As a videogame it's a mix of Telltale story-type stuff but with smart football decisions, and then you have gameplay sequences which are mostly like a scripted game of Madden. You don't really feel (At least I didn't) like I was dramatically affecting the results of a game, but you felt like you had control of a sports movie in the victory sequences, and that's pretty cool.

Man the amount of loading in MUT is already getting to me. Too many of the challenges are simple and require going back to the menu when done, loading up another challenge, and then waiting again for loading. Ugh.

Yep always what detracts from this mode for me... I'd love to try some of the single player challenges, but the loading sucks. I don't think they have any incentive to improve it either because it makes it more of a grind, encouraging people to buy coins or packs or gel or whatever they sell.

What an upgrade it's almost like watching it for real at times, bet it look incredible on the Pro and One X too. Really good, best Madden I've played since 98.

WorldHero

From the new streams in the wild on PS4 Pro, it appears the 4K mode ups the resolution and runs 30 fps for the replays and close up cuts after plays. I believe that has been the standard for Madden. The 1080p mode however, looks like everything runs 60 fps all of the time which was very nice to see, it made the game appear more lifelike with its fluidity after plays.

jmizzal

I really wish EA did like 2K and let everybody who preorder the game get it early, instead of only people who buy the more expensive GOAT edition. Also at least 2K more expensive version comes with physical goods like cards and posters.

God damnit still? This is why I have a love hate relationship with Madden.

mreddie

Funny, there's still no ads for this.

I was seeing Kevin Hart fuck with Dave Franco weeks before the release of 16.

Something tells me EA has no intentional of getting the loading down in MUT... because it encourages the grind, which then encourages $$$ on packs. If you could quickly house 30 challenges you'd get cards too fast... Loading screen almost acts as 'cool down' for them.

Smokey

I've pretty much spent or am close to spending the entire 10 hr trial on MUT. It's a lot quicker coming out of the match than going in.

This is always the best time for MUT. Before the super teams are formed, and going through the challenges. I should mention that I am using the internal Xbox One S HDD. There's a possibility that the loading is faster on an external.

Something tells me EA has no intentional of getting the loading down in MUT... because it encourages the grind, which then encourages $$$ on packs. If you could quickly house 30 challenges you'd get cards too fast... Loading screen almost acts as 'cool down' for them.

I can see this. I usually turn to my phone and browse while I'm waiting. If it's a longer challenge I don't mind too much, but it's the simple ones like "kick a FG" or "Rush for 20 yards" that make the loading stand out.

Klocker

Didn't play it last year but I have to say this game is fun as shit, really great game playing in my opinion I'm not a crazy Sim head but this is a blast and it is drop dead gorgeous. I'm only on the original Xbox One cannot wait to see how it looks on the X

K-Gun

I'm not too sure, their menus have always been a fucking mess. I mean you want to practice with a different playbook in practice mode and you have to back all the way out. These systems have 8gb of ram, you'd think it would be easier to do but it works the same way it did on the PS2. MUT menus were worse in the past, at least they take you back to the same "event." In the past you went all the back to the main MUT menu, that was ridiculous.

EA certainly messes with the marketplace a bit by adding more filters. You could bring in 75k-100k an hour or hour and a half by just flipping cards to unsuspecting players who never filtered down. That's how EA tries to slow down market arbitrage. Last year they gave you the option to quickly check the market via binder, this year more filters so players won't spend 15k on a 10k card because they never checked the 59 minute auctions. Noobs got taken to the cleaners with this move.

Most interesting thing in this game is MUT squads, really want to play that, looks fun as hell.

ANybody know in MUT squads if you can do a 2 on 2 or 2 on 3, or if it always has to be 3 on 3? I have a friend who I play Madden with but no other real life friends who play Madden, and I dont think we'd want to match up with a rando.

Maybesew

ANybody know in MUT squads if you can do a 2 on 2 or 2 on 3, or if it always has to be 3 on 3? I have a friend who I play Madden with but no other real life friends who play Madden, and I dont think we'd want to match up with a rando.

Everything I ahve seen has been 3v3, but i have seen people get disconected and the game continues at 2v3

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wow I'm loving Longshot. Got my ass kicked by the Seahawks in franchise so I checked out longshot and couldn't stop playing for the next two or so hours. Definitely feels like a telltale football game. First impressions of the actual gameplay during franchise are good too, I just suck Game is stunning looking at times. I could see a pretty significant upgrade from last years version in terms of graphics.

GOAT Edition released last night/this morning for PS4 and Xbox One. Anybody get that version?

Apparently, there's a day 1 patch (or rumors of one from review copies) that makes CPU QBs much more aggressive moving in the pocket and ties up some issues with Cover 2 that people saw in the EA Access version (which may be unpatched from what I can tell).

ANybody get a patch if you got the GOAT edition last night?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
GOAT Edition released last night/this morning for PS4 and Xbox One. Anybody get that version?

Apparently, there's a day 1 patch (or rumors of one from review copies) that makes CPU QBs much more aggressive moving in the pocket and ties up some issues with Cover 2 that people saw in the EA Access version (which may be unpatched from what I can tell).

Yep that's what I got yesterday. Bought it digital playing on PS4 Pro. I don't remember seeing a patch when this unlocked at 10:00 last night but I'm gonna check here in a minute. One weird thing that kept happening is I kept getting a pop up screen that said something like "congrats! you lucked the g.o.a.t edition" literally right in the middle of a longshot cutscene. Happened like 4-5 times, so I'm hoping that's fixed soon here.

jmizzal

They prob wont put out the patch until Friday when the regular version comes out

Top Bottom