• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '18 |OT| From 199 to The Greatest of All Time

Dubz

Make sure you link EA account to twitch. it was on twitch account somewhere go to rewards and then madden reward, there was a small link to connect to EA.

Then card just popped up in unopened cards eventually
Yeah I linked all accounts. Twitch Prime to EA and EA to PS4. No dice. I guess I'll just call EA customer service.

As for the game, I'm really enjoying it. It's pretty much Madden, but there's a lot of content with MUT, Longshot, Franchise, etc... I think I'll put more time into it this year than last year.

Klocker

Yeah I linked all accounts. Twitch Prime to EA and EA to PS4. No dice. I guess I'll just call EA customer service.

As for the game, I'm really enjoying it. It's pretty much Madden, but there's a lot of content with MUT, Longshot, Franchise, etc... I think I'll put more time into it this year than last year.

That sucks. Hopefully it shows. I read that it could take several hours to show up but it sounds like it's been longer than that.

As for the game I agree with your assessment as well

ncslamm

First time playing Madden since maybe 2006 or 07. I suck. I've done all of the skills training but I'm still pretty clueless. When it comes to MUT, is the game mode mainly for online play or what? Solo just seems like a few challenges to do.

KaYotiX

Banned
First time playing Madden since maybe 2006 or 07. I suck. I've done all of the skills training but I'm still pretty clueless. When it comes to MUT, is the game mode mainly for online play or what? Solo just seems like a few challenges to do.

They add challenges weekly also. I do mostly solo but online here and there. There are over 150 challenges atm i think.

Klocker

I think after you build up your mut team through the challenges , it opens up a season mode to play with your mute team, solo.

Also if you play in other modes try Arcade, it is still Madden, not blitz, it just lets you make mistakes without turnovers every. Bad throw you make while you learn and more big plays with less drops and less sacks

Smokey

I've done 51/60 Gauntlet challenges. The last one on the second set against the Seahawks is tough.

150 pass yards
75 rush yards
Hold SEA < 100 yards
Win the game

Got through it and my team was only 79 OVR at the time.

Enjoying MUT overall. They made some nice changes this year.

jmizzal

WTH EA, i'm in the 2nd round of MUT Draft game in a tight game in the 1st half, it says lost connection to peer and then they give me a lost wtf

All my devices are still connected to the internet and I was still online on my xbox, so how is that connection loss on me

What makes it worst is EA now forces you to buy tickets to play MUT draft and those were my last tickets smh

Zoanoid33

Love how every single person I play can run around with slow qbs and chuck it off their back foot 40 yards accros the field to some wide open guy because the pass rush is non existent. Why reward the exact opposite of how you should play football?

forms

My earlier reaction was to laugh and scoff at the Longahor campaign for being quicktime events setc. Now, I have had time to play it and holy shit do I have crows to eat. It is so good.

Ok, so I don't know if it was a bug or what, but I was able to play a full game of the standard version I preordered digitally on PS4 after the countdown expired last night. Then I went to bed.

All signs were pointing to it being ready to play leading up to it, but I didn't want to get my hopes up since I refused to pay $20 extra for early access and MUT stuff that I won't use. I thought it wouldn't be available to play until Tuesday because of this.

Madden '18 standard edition released Friday August 25 at midnight EST (e.g., Thursday Aug 24 9PM PST)

WTH EA, i'm in the 2nd round of MUT Draft game in a tight game in the 1st half, it says lost connection to peer and then they give me a lost wtf

All my devices are still connected to the internet and I was still online on my xbox, so how is that connection loss on me

What makes it worst is EA now forces you to buy tickets to play MUT draft and those were my last tickets smh

Yeah I hate the ticket thing for draft champions (MUT Draft or w/e)., but you can play standard MUT draft w/o tickets. The ticket thing is just if you want to do the global competition or earn MUT rewards from draft champions.

It's still shitty, but you can play the regular draft champions without the ticket thing.

THere's legitimately hundreds and hundreds of challenges in MUT. You should have about 75 to start with, maybe more, but as the season goes on they unlock more and more. But, yeah, MUT is mostly about online play using your card/microtransactions/grind based team. A lot of seasoned Madden fans hate it, but it's very popular with the loot crate, card pack crowd.

Dubz

how do you get more tickets?

Solo Act

I haven't bought a football game since NCAA 14. My early opinion after 3 full games is that I'm not a fan of this game, but maybe I'm missing some things, so I just wanted to ask:

1. Is there a way to zoom the camera out? Everything seems so close to the action, especially when you catch a pass or something. Like they're more worried about showing off graphics tech than letting me see the entire field.

2. Do I have to hold the A button after every single play to skip in between cutscenes, or can I disable them permanently in a menu somewhere? Again, it feels like more of a graphics show than relevant to the gameplay, and I'd rather speed the game up a bit.

3. Speaking of that, is there a no huddle option that doesn't sprint my team to the line? A lot of teams run a no huddle offense where plays get called at the line, but they're not really supposed to be "in a hurry". In Madden when you hold the Y button, the players sprint to the line like there's 10 seconds left in the game.

One thing that I love, love, love about this game is the up to date commentary (and the commentary team in general). Playing with the Dolphins and having them talk about Tannehill's injury and Cutler being pulled out of the broadcast booth is great stuff. I wish every sports game did this.

Dubz

I haven't bought a football game since NCAA 14. My early opinion after 3 full games is that I'm not a fan of this game, but maybe I'm missing some things, so I just wanted to ask:

1. Is there a way to zoom the camera out? Everything seems so close to the action, especially when you catch a pass or something. Like they're more worried about showing off graphics tech than letting me see the entire field.

2. Do I have to hold the A button after every single play to skip in between cutscenes, or can I disable them permanently in a menu somewhere? Again, it feels like more of a graphics show than relevant to the gameplay, and I'd rather speed the game up a bit.

3. Speaking of that, is there a no huddle option that doesn't sprint my team to the line? A lot of teams run a no huddle offense where plays get called at the line, but they're not really supposed to be "in a hurry". In Madden when you hold the Y button, the players sprint to the line like there's 10 seconds left in the game.

One thing that I love, love, love about this game is the up to date commentary (and the commentary team in general). Playing with the Dolphins and having them talk about Tannehill's injury and Cutler being pulled out of the broadcast booth is great stuff. I wish every sports game did this.

1) go into settings to find the camera stuff. It defaults to zoom for some reason. You can also press down on the Dpad to change camera angles

2) not t sure about this, but I'm guessing that you can also disable the presentation stuff in settings.

3) unfortunately no.

Solo Act

1) go into settings to find the camera stuff. It defaults to zoom for some reason. You can also press down on the Dpad to change camera angles

2) not t sure about this, but I'm guessing that you can also disable the presentation stuff in settings.

3) unfortunately no.

Thanks, I'll dig around the settings more for the camera stuff. I was looking this morning but may have missed it.

Weird that EA doesn't implement no huddle offenses into the game considering how big a part of football that is.

Took only one day to get a silly glitch:

DIK0yiXWAAA2nRG.jpg

Klocker

Thanks, I'll dig around the settings more for the camera stuff. I was looking this morning but may have missed it.

Weird that EA doesn't implement no huddle offenses into the game considering how big a part of football that is.

Before each game where you select Game Style game time etc... switch the Event Type from exhibition to Quick Presentation
It then skips many of the cut scenes. Only need to hold A between qtrs

Also push down on LT stick at play call screen and you get into Super sim playcalling. There You can skip ahead plays or offense only or defense or jump right into only important plays.

You can streamline it pretty well but yea quick presentation is what you are looking for but you need to select at every game as it is about to load.

hi, i am in the uk, thinking of buying the goat edition from amazon, but seems like its digital only. Does it come with the code for nfl gamepass? or do i have to buy the physical copy. Also with the goat edition, does it come with the $50 for the UK version?

If i was to buy the US import, is the code in there? would the dlc work on my UK account?

Klocker

Can someone help me with m u t?

I received Champ Bailey and LaDainian Tomlinson as bonuses during the challenges. I played with them for a bit and then went into upgrades and pull them into the upgrade list and added the trading cards that were available to push up their rating.

Didn't know what I was doing so I put both player cards in the next tier but don't have any or enough trading cards to upgrade them to the next tier.

Now neither player is available to play on my team anymore is there any way to get them back? are they locked in that upgrade collection screen forever, or do I just need to upgrade them to the next tier by finding the other cards before I can play with them again?

If so how the hell do I get those tier cards?

Thx

Sizzle55

Can someone help me with m u t?

I received Champ Bailey and LaDainian Tomlinson as bonuses during the challenges. I played with them for a bit and then went into upgrades and pull them into the upgrade list and added the trading cards that were available to push up their rating.

Didn't know what I was doing so I put both player cards in the next tier but don't have any or enough trading cards to upgrade them to the next tier.

Now neither player is available to play on my team anymore is there any way to get them back? are they locked in that upgrade collection screen forever, or do I just need to upgrade them to the next tier by finding the other cards before I can play with them again?

If so how the hell do I get those tier cards?

Thx
Ah bugger! Yeah you need to finish the sets with the required items, you get the LT ones in packs when you level up to get access to the next tier! They are locked to that set.

I am stuck on the second last gauntlet challenge. Atlanta smoke me on everything I try. Any ideas?

jmizzal

Ok this is BS some guy invited me to a party and kept doing it pausing the game, so to get him to stop I joined his party and he had his buddy do something to my internet connection and it disconnected from the game and gave me a loss.

This was draft champions and just the first round I had a good team wasted my tickets once again, EA has to do something about these cheaters.

I reported him to MS on the xbox one, and also calling them, his account needs to be banned if they can just mess up peoples internet like that, I was offline for about 3 mins.

Ok emailed EA, MS and called MS about the guy, he better get banned

Has anyone noticed this game being completely fucking hard and having some severe rubber banding compared to last year? I've lost more games than won and I've been playing this game since it's inception (talking CPU). When I play friends I still destroy but the computer seems crazy.

Simulation all-pro

Has anyone noticed this game being completely fucking hard and having some severe rubber banding compared to last year? I've lost more games than won and I've been playing this game since it's inception (talking CPU). When I play friends I still destroy but the computer seems crazy.

Simulation all-pro

Depends on the team I find (I easily beast the CPU when I play as my hometeam, New England, but struggle with worse teams... although I like that), but also, defense is terrible this year, especially on Simulation All Pro. It sounds like there might be a patch coming to try to resolve these issues but nobody knows when or if this is how EA thinks simulation should play...

Last year, man defense was useless, utterly useless. This year, man defense is still pretty much useless, but they've seemingly "fixed" man defense by making zone equally useless. Cover 3 will leave wide open gaps all over the middle of the field, as LB's seemingly drop down into short coverage to pick up drags (which were always open in M'17), and then leave post routes just completely uncovered, as deep safeties cover too deep to prevent go routes.

Coupled with a CPU QB accuracy that is somehow more perfect than last year, which I didn't think was possible, it really makes playing ALl Pro difficult because the results are horrendous. I've set CPU QB accuracy sliders to 30, and the CPU QB is still routinely somewhere around 90% accuracy, with the handful of misses usually being interceptions or dropped passes. This was something EA had, supposedly, fixed or tuned for this year... that "players would play to their rating level," but I dunno if they broke something in the final months of development or if this was just, plainly, a lie. As a test, I played Cleveland v. Minnesota, rookie QB with low awareness and low accuracy DeShawn Kizer, versus Minnesota's talented secondary. Kizer was 17/19 for 300+ yards, his 2 incompletions were an interception late in the first half and a dropped pass on a big hit. He didn't miss any passes, none were off target, they were all dead on.

The game has major balance issues with All Pro, simulation. It's being complained loudly at Operation Sports, but I'm unsure if EA is interested in changing this... Rex, the development lead, has taken pretty aggressive opposition to anybody whose asked about gameplay patches, saying things like "We need to stop worrying about patches," and shit like that, while just posting MUT Squads videos all day.

Oddly, I've heard that All Madden might play better... But what's too bad is that the running game feels really good on All Pro. Good running backs and offensive lines can seriously move the ball, which is so refreshing, both CPU and human. Staying dedicated to the run with a good running team pays off and it doesn't feel like cheese (to me) on either side of the ball. It's just that the passing attack is... ugh, jesus, it's like college teams going against high school defenses.

As for rubber banding, unless they added it to the game there shouldn't be any rubber banding, it's just that the CPU QB has nearly perfect accuracy, and zone defenses are useless, especially for anybody controlling the defensive line. I'd suggest practicing as a roaming MLB or strong safety to take away the easy post routes, which shuts down about 20% of the CPU's big play offense. If you have CB's play to the outside it helps control the corner routes as well.

--

*edit*

There's a lot of tlak that All Madden surprisingly plays pretty well... So I'll likely end up switching to that.

Do the three play styles really feel separate to each other?

What's the consensus on the simulation mode?

The three play styles are different but they don't necessarily feel like different games, it's just more or less how much your user actions affect the game, versus ratings and skills of the players, plus some other 'randomness' tuned up or down.

I'm glad they have the three modes, I think it's one of the better changes they've implemented in a few years, but I am very disappointed with how 'Simulation' plays. Simulation basically plays like Madden '17.5, like, improved in some areas... Like offensive line/defensive line, running game, and CB vs. WR battles simulation is a nice improvement. But the biggest issue is defensive coverage on zone and QB accuracy, which is still ridiculous. QBs don't play like NFL QBs, they play like NFL QBs as if the NFL QBs were going against high school defenses. QB's are way too accurate, as they always have been, but this was supposedly the year that "ratings would matter in simulation mode," but with regard to QBs, they do not. You might see a handful of missed passes in All Pro, simulation mode, but really, Tom Brady and DeShaun Kizer have about the same accuracy for most passes. You could still roll with a 76 overall QB and mostly be fine against most defenses... Maybe missing some deep throws or something, but for the most part, QBs are all sharpshooters.

It's nice that they debuted the three playstyles this year, it's a change needed for the future of the series. But now I'm really worried that they're not going to spend any time improving Simulation mode and only focus on Competitive and Arcade, where the money is (online MUT play basically).

Here is a great video that shows just how bad zone defense is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8DP9WxwWs

The mechanics are kind of there, but the reactions of these defenders is SO LATE. Garcon is wide open on the post route, with 10 yards between him and 3 other defenders who really aren't covering anybody. You've got a CB playing a deep zone (cover 3 likely), without any offensive player within any sort of distance on his zone... and Garcon does the hook and is wide open. Now, maybe this is tuned to the defenders ability to play the pass, their awareness, or coverage or something, but it's not balanced for the offense. So, hypothetically, maybe bad defenders suck this year, which would be a positive change, but when mediocre offensive players (Garcon and whoever the QB is in San Fran this year) can attack bad defenses as if they're Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, it created an imbalance.

MrS

Banned
Really enjoying the MUT solo challenges. They force you to play in ways you normally wouldn't and they're great to do when you've got a spare hour. Longshot was a lot better than FIFA's The Journey too imo. Madden was well worth the price this year.

oo7

Loving the MUT SQUADS gameplay.

Some clips of my proudest moments so far.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xImmortal0...e65d804e/03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df
3 Quick clips, also testing out the STUDIO software on Xbox One. Pretty nifty.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xImmortal0...f619fb00/d1adc8aa-0a31-4407-90f2-7e9b54b0347c
The above clip is amazing because they could have ran the clock out but we jumped offsides on 4th down and they accidentally declined the penalty stopping the clock. That last play is the very next play after they punted it to us.

Barry Sanders is clutch it seems ;)

Juicy Bob

The three play styles are different but they don't necessarily feel like different games, it's just more or less how much your user actions affect the game, versus ratings and skills of the players, plus some other 'randomness' tuned up or down.

I'm glad they have the three modes, I think it's one of the better changes they've implemented in a few years, but I am very disappointed with how 'Simulation' plays. Simulation basically plays like Madden '17.5, like, improved in some areas... Like offensive line/defensive line, running game, and CB vs. WR battles simulation is a nice improvement. But the biggest issue is defensive coverage on zone and QB accuracy, which is still ridiculous. QBs don't play like NFL QBs, they play like NFL QBs as if the NFL QBs were going against high school defenses. QB's are way too accurate, as they always have been, but this was supposedly the year that "ratings would matter in simulation mode," but with regard to QBs, they do not. You might see a handful of missed passes in All Pro, simulation mode, but really, Tom Brady and DeShaun Kizer have about the same accuracy for most passes. You could still roll with a 76 overall QB and mostly be fine against most defenses... Maybe missing some deep throws or something, but for the most part, QBs are all sharpshooters.

It's nice that they debuted the three playstyles this year, it's a change needed for the future of the series. But now I'm really worried that they're not going to spend any time improving Simulation mode and only focus on Competitive and Arcade, where the money is (online MUT play basically).

Here is a great video that shows just how bad zone defense is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8DP9WxwWs

The mechanics are kind of there, but the reactions of these defenders is SO LATE. Garcon is wide open on the post route, with 10 yards between him and 3 other defenders who really aren't covering anybody. You've got a CB playing a deep zone (cover 3 likely), without any offensive player within any sort of distance on his zone... and Garcon does the hook and is wide open. Now, maybe this is tuned to the defenders ability to play the pass, their awareness, or coverage or something, but it's not balanced for the offense. So, hypothetically, maybe bad defenders suck this year, which would be a positive change, but when mediocre offensive players (Garcon and whoever the QB is in San Fran this year) can attack bad defenses as if they're Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, it created an imbalance.
Thanks a lot for that. I try and pick up Madden every few years or so and I was intrigued by the idea of having the different play styles.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that simulation doesn't feel real enough. I like a challenge, but I always felt it was a bit cheap when Chad Henne was dropping 18/20 passes for 300 yards against me on All Madden.

jmizzal

Loving the MUT SQUADS gameplay.

Some clips of my proudest moments so far.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xImmortal0...e65d804e/03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df
3 Quick clips, also testing out the STUDIO software on Xbox One. Pretty nifty.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xImmortal0...f619fb00/d1adc8aa-0a31-4407-90f2-7e9b54b0347c
The above clip is amazing because they could have ran the clock out but we jumped offsides on 4th down and they accidentally declined the penalty stopping the clock. That last play is the very next play after they punted it to us.

Barry Sanders is clutch it seems ;)

I did a random Squads and I matched with the worst Madden player I have ever seen in my life, the guy throw a pick every time we had the ball besides when he fumbled lol. The crazy thing we kept the game close for a while cuz the other team wasnt good, we only scored on a pick 6.

Yea Barry Sanders is a beast here's my td run with him
https://account.xbox.com/en-US/game...000&scid=d1adc8aa-0a31-4407-90f2-7e9b54b0347c

And Prime Time Deion Sanders
https://account.xbox.com/en-US/game...000&scid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

In MUT Squads, do you have to play as your MUT team or is it like a MUT draft? I'd like to try it but my MUT team is horrible, like 50 ovr, because I've never really used th emode.

Thanks a lot for that. I try and pick up Madden every few years or so and I was intrigued by the idea of having the different play styles.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that simulation doesn't feel real enough. I like a challenge, but I always felt it was a bit cheap when Chad Henne was dropping 18/20 passes for 300 yards against me on All Madden.

Yeah... Surprisingly, All Madden is supposedly a better playing version, like somehow your the defense plays much better. I Haven't tried it myself yet.

How is madden 18? The last madden i had was 2015, and im starting to feel that itch again. Ive never really tried the Ultimate Team modes, but i hear good things about it. Is it time to pick this one up?

i'm really sorry to code beg here, but does anyone in europe or uk have madden 18 and willing to part away with the 15% off gamepass code? Unfortunately i got the digital version

tbhysgb

How is madden 18? The last madden i had was 2015, and im starting to feel that itch again. Ive never really tried the Ultimate Team modes, but i hear good things about it. Is it time to pick this one up?
Last one I played was 15. Honestly it's vastly improved to me. Not perfect but it's a lot of fun so far

WatTsu

OK, credits rolling on Longshot.

I got drafted. Colt didn't. Those last few scenes were *draining*.

This is a good Madden overall but Longshot makes it one of my favorite games of the year. Way better than it has any right to be.

jmizzal

In MUT Squads, do you have to play as your MUT team or is it like a MUT draft? I'd like to try it but my MUT team is horrible, like 50 ovr, because I've never really used th emode.

If your offensive captain you play with your offense, if your defensive captain you play with your defense, if your coach you play with coach and playbook, your uniforms and stadium, they say you control the clock but when I played I was coach I couldnt call timeouts.

sun-drop

longshot was entertaining but pales in comparison to the journey on fifa ... in fact very little actual madden gameplay going on really.

Does The Longshot auto save?

How do you know when it saved?
edit I guess it does auto save
It autosaves, but it's difficult to know where exactly.

OK, credits rolling on Longshot.

I got drafted. Colt didn't. Those last few scenes were *draining*.

This is a good Madden overall but Longshot makes it one of my favorite games of the year. Way better than it has any right to be.
My thoughts exactly. It was a really good believable football story. Very enjoyable.

Maybesew

Anyone on PS4 looking to do mut squad games? I've only gotten with serious players and won once out of 5 or 6 attempts.

Luckydog

Anyone feel like some of the skills training is borked? Its only a handful of them, but some just refuse to complete. For example, in the O-Line audible training near the end. Nearly 95% of the time if I have to audible to "pinch" block, the game throws an error saying the ball was never snapped. Yes the ball was snapped in plenty of time and its completely reproducible.

I think this will be my last console Madden. Need this on Switch.

I like the game but zone defense is really bad. Well, I'm just bad at defense in general but it's really bad right now. QBs are damn near 100% completion rate on All-Madden.

Seems like they have some hidden gems in the draft classes now? I don't recall finding any high overall skill position players in the later rounds.

Drafted an 6'3 Ovr 84 beast in the 5th(!) round. Ran a godlike 4.3 and all his combine numbers were good except Vert. Idk how he was projected 4-5th even after the scouting.

This is my first time messing around with Ultimate Team. Is there anything specific that i should be spending my coins on? I refuse to ever buy points also.

MrBlonde

I have enjoyed MUT the last 3 years but really loving it so far this year and its so hard to not spend money on packs, I have spent a little over $100 and I am stopping there and will build the rest of my team with Solos, coins have been pretty good this year at least with solos......I am struggling to not buy a 3rd GOAT player, I really want Moss.....I have Deion from my pre order and bough Bo, I just need to level them up to 87 still.

Doing OK at offense but struggling at D a little, any tips or plays that are working for you guys? Currently using Pats D playbook

Top Bottom