• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '18 |OT| From 199 to The Greatest of All Time

lefty1117

Gold Member
why is it that when supersimming on defense, the offense AI runs the ball over and over again for 4 or 5 yard gains. In one game i had a team run for 5 yard gains 6 times in a row. Something seems off. However if you change the speed to Slow, where you watch the sim broadcast-style, the play variety seems more normal.

Raptomex

I usually check in on Madden games every five years it seems just to see if the latest is worth the purchase. Just reading the OT, Arcade mode just sounds like "easy" mode? I thought there would be something more... unique about it. I don't know what but that's not what I expected.

why is it that when supersimming on defense, the offense AI runs the ball over and over again for 4 or 5 yard gains. In one game i had a team run for 5 yard gains 6 times in a row. Something seems off. However if you change the speed to Slow, where you watch the sim broadcast-style, the play variety seems more normal.

Madden 17 had this issue. Some teams would just run endlessly in SuperSim and usually get 4 yard gains every time. Runs for no gain or for 1 yard were exceptionally rare.

Although, on the plus side with SS, the clock issue is much, much better this year.

I usually check in on Madden games every five years it seems just to see if the latest is worth the purchase. Just reading the OT, Arcade mode just sounds like "easy" mode? I thought there would be something more... unique about it. I don't know what but that's not what I expected.

Yeah it's not an over-the-top blitz style football... The NFL doesn't really allow that anymore. It's still Madden but targeting a more casual audience who wants to see exciting receptions, high scoring games, less emphasis on defense, and have fewer things like penalties or things out of their control influence the game. A player who might want to play Houston vs. New England against a friend, and not have New England completely shut Houston down 30 - 3.
\
I shouldn't really call it 'Arcade Mode,' it's more... Arcade Play style. Like, if you enjoyed Madden '05, being able to roll out of the pocket with Vick and throw a 60 yard bomb to a WR, who makes a one handed grab and jukes a bunch of guys en route to the endzone, or go for it on 4th down and 8 rather than punt, then this play style caters to that. It evens out the ratings, gives a greater boost to the player, and things like offensive line skill don't penalize the player as much, while giving more emphasis to WRs, QBs, and RBs.

PR_rambo

Banned
From the new streams in the wild on PS4 Pro, it appears the 4K mode ups the resolution and runs 30 fps for the replays and close up cuts after plays. I believe that has been the standard for Madden. The 1080p mode however, looks like everything runs 60 fps all of the time which was very nice to see, it made the game appear more lifelike with its fluidity after plays.
Yeah I've played it both on Pro and Standard and I can't ever go back now. It looks super crisp on PRO and the animations are smooth with the 60 frames

Smokey

GOAT Edition released last night/this morning for PS4 and Xbox One. Anybody get that version?

Apparently, there's a day 1 patch (or rumors of one from review copies) that makes CPU QBs much more aggressive moving in the pocket and ties up some issues with Cover 2 that people saw in the EA Access version (which may be unpatched from what I can tell).

ANybody get a patch if you got the GOAT edition last night?

I got GOAT edition from Best Buy. My version is at 1.01, so it looks like it downloaded a patch.

I'm also getting some pretty bad slowdown in and out of huddles, and sometime at the line. Like...really noticeable. I'm on regular PS4. EA Access trial on Xbox One didn't have this issue.

Sizzle55

Yeah I've played it both on Pro and Standard and I can't ever go back now. It looks super crisp on PRO and the animations are smooth with the 60 frames
Hi did you notice any difference in load times with the pro? It can get pretty slow on the One S loading challenges cheers

I think the new target passing thing is fucking awful. Vision cone levels of stupid.

Not a whole lot different from 17 either from what I can tell from the EA Access trial, but I thought 17 was pretty good anyway.

Longshot seems great, i'll probably pick up the ps4 version soon

crpav

I'm a sucker for Madden and always have been even though I only play "offline" franchise. I picked up the G.O.A.T. edition for the XBox One at lunch. Let's see if I can actually play some games compared to recent years where I am too busy with life and get bored after a few pre season games.

Sizzle55

I think the new target passing thing is fucking awful. Vision cone levels of stupid.

Not a whole lot different from 17 either from what I can tell from the EA Access trial, but I thought 17 was pretty good anyway.

Longshot seems great, i'll probably pick up the ps4 version soon
Agreed I could not use that target passing at all! I could not deal with it. I only really play MUT and do solo stuff but I love this years game feels good. Sometimes it seems like blitzes are useless as no matter how many guys you send the QB has forever to throw. Would like to hear some PS4 Pro owners share how it runs oj the fence between an X or Pro upgrade

Dubz

Just picked up GOAT edition. Long Shot mode is really good. Glad I got this.

EDIT: No HDR on Pro it seems.

I haven't played since Madden 25. Is CoachGlass still a thing in these games? I loved that.

I *think* so but I don't really know. It would have worked with Xbox SmartGlass, which I haven't tried in ages. EA never announced that it wasn't used anymore, but then again we haven't heard about it in years so I'm not sure.

The feature never worked for me because it would take 4-5 seconds to update smartglass, and by then, you'd already be mostly through your play clock. THe game gives you a lot of that information on the screen (% play call, effectiveness, etc).

THis Madden is much much better than Madden '25, which was probably the worst Madden of the last 5 years. It's definitely worth getting/playing if the last Madden you played was '25. If the last Madden you played was '17 and you're not a big online, H2H, MUT guy, then (IMO) this Madden doesn't provide very much for you, especially out of the box.

Best Buy shipped my standard edition copy out to me today early and I played a few games so far against my friend and one against the CPU on All Pro and I've noticed that there is a good amount of underrated new gameplay stuff to like. My Day 1 observations on gameplay changes:

-MOVEMENT- There is an noticeable improvement in the fluidity of basic running and changing directions. Most of the jerky movement when you tried to change directions seems to have been smoothed out

-BLOCKING- The blocking in general seems much improved in both passing and running. The ID the Mike feature you can use to dictate pass protection is extremely useful in a lot of situations once you understand how it works. It allows for some real mind games to happen with two skilled players who understand how the blocking and defensive adjustments and deceptions work and try to get information from each other pre-snap.

-PASS DEFENSE- Interactions between receivers and pass defenders are more varied. Its nice to see some handfighting well into routes and the bump/jam animations and their reactions add some much needed unpredictability to the passing game. Some of the higher percentage pass routes like the corner route arent so automatic now even if you throw as the WR or TE makes their break. On Sim play style highly rated pass defenders bait and jump routes like they have not in the past. You can clearly tell the difference between the coverage of a great corner/safety and an average one by watching a few plays. i am loving that the shading inside/outside options work for DBs now, so that finally there are some tools for preventing receivers from getting to the inside so easily for slants or drag routes.

-D LINE- Defensive line seems to get more pressure without needing to do anything special. Edge rushers get around the outside more and a true pocket forms more frequently than it did last year.

-BLITZING- Blitzing is pretty effective now as defenders do a better job of pathfinding and finding even the smallest holes to get thru on their way to the QB. I had one play where a LB shot a gap in the middle between two DL that were being blocked and he did a "get skinny" move like RBs can and squeezed thru the small gap and got pressure on the QB

-TARGET PASSING- I haven't got enough practice with new optional target passing stuff to know how effective it could be, but it seems like something that is situational at best, but its pretty difficult to be precise with on day one. The reticule you can move to pinpoint the spot where the ball will end up is very sensitive,

-SOUNDTRACK- the soundtrack is probably my favorite madden hip-hop focused one that they have ever compiled, lots of bangers from some of my favorte artists like Kendrick, Logic and Joey Badass

-PENALTIES- only real downside so far is that on Simulation gametype ive played 3 games on 8 minutes quarters and have only seen 1 penalty total (block in the back on an interception return), The penalty sliders screen says at their default values that penalites have been tuned using real NFL data to ensure frequency is accurate, which doesn't seem to be the case. Thankfully adjusting the sliders started working last year to get more penalties called so ill wait for the slider gurus to figure out how to perfect penalty frequency.

bigkrev

It's called MUT Draft now and you access it in MUT. It requires online though.

Got it. Had to play Ultimate team a few times to unlock it (it requires MUT level 4), which is complete bullshit though. Draft Champions is basically the only mode I touch in Madden anymore!

I'm also one of the people who had Best Buy ship their standard edition of the game early. Will be curious to see if this happens for other games that do this bullshit "$20 extra for 3 days early" thing

Playing the trial and I've found an essentially unstoppable running play for my Franchise back.

Playing as Ravens (or any team with that playbook). Go to Shotgun/Monster and select Inside Zone. This puts only 3 O lineman on the line plus the QB and RB. 95% of the time whatever formation is selected by the CPU will cause only 2 or 3 D players to line up in front of the O line the rest split out to cover the WRs. Hand off the ball and wait a second and the O line will engage and possibly pancake the D line. You will easily break through the massive hole and just have to beat a safety.

According to the game, I have run that play 99 times with and average of 13 yards per play (with many going all the way). Guaranteed to get 10 yards unless their formation puts 4 defenders in the box at which point you need to see which way the fourth defender goes and go through the other hole.

oo7

Anyone with Amazon Prime be sure to get your 90 Overall Twitch Prime Reggie White! They will be releasing a free legend every week for a while.

Also, Doritos are giving away 84 overall Calvin Johnson.

jmizzal

Playing the trial and I've found an essentially unstoppable running play for my Franchise back.

Playing as Ravens (or any team with that playbook). Go to Shotgun/Monster and select Inside Zone. This puts only 3 O lineman on the line plus the QB and RB. 95% of the time whatever formation is selected by the CPU will cause only 2 or 3 D players to line up in front of the O line the rest split out to cover the WRs. Hand off the ball and wait a second and the O line will engage and possibly pancake the D line. You will easily break through the massive hole and just have to beat a safety.

According to the game, I have run that play 99 times with and average of 13 yards per play (with many going all the way). Guaranteed to get 10 yards unless their formation puts 4 defenders in the box at which point you need to see which way the fourth defender goes and go through the other hole.

Yea that inside zone is a beast against the CPU and humans online

Got the GOAT edition and have been playing for the first time in MUT. Any tips?
Finish Longshot and do the chronicles solo challenges. You end up with some good QBs and WRs. Do the gauntlet solo challenges as well, Good coinage and can get some good players from the sets. Use the AH to sell things you won't use and buy players you want. I'm no pro but this has been what I did. Also if you have twitch prime, get the free player from that. A 90 RE right away is crazy good.

So in my impressions above I think I undersold the new target passing. I played around with the tutorials today and my eyes were opened to the possibilities.

I made a video for a few of my friends to give them a quick review of how powerful it can be.

edit: YouTube took my video down b/c trainer mode has licensed music playing in the background...

Klocker

Finish Longshot and do the chronicles solo challenges. You end up with some good QBs and WRs. Do the gauntlet solo challenges as well, Good coinage and can get some good players from the sets. Use the AH to sell things you won't use and buy players you want. I'm no pro but this has been what I did. Also if you have twitch prime, get the free player from that. A 90 RE right away is crazy good.

When will Twitch player show up?

I linked all accounts, thx

Edit.. nm it just showed, Reggie White 85, 90with upgrade nice

Retail Madden is out today.

The amount of injuries in simmed/Play the Moments games are insane. The whole first year of my franchise was screwed over.

There is an injury slider in Franchise that you can turn up or down. I'd heard people were pleased by the amount of injuries, as it's something Madden has always been really skimpy on in the past.

Most teams have 6-10 players on the injured list throughout the season, which doesn't count guys moved to IR or PUP.

Consider that this was the Patriots 2016 week 4 injury report, the team that went onto win the super bowl:

i971Tcb.png

The two starting QBs, the best LB, the best O Lineman, the best D Lineman, and a pretty shitty CB (Brisket played in this game and sucked, it's the game that Buffalo killed them). If this happened to the team you're playing as everybody would complain the injuries are out of control, but this is fairly rudimentary in the NFL.

EA needs to add more depth to the injury system though. As it is it's way too binary... Guys are either "Hurt" or "Healthy" and the "Important decisions" thing they introduced last year is all risk, no reward. Not enough guys get nagging, minor injuries, and the key decisions should really be things like "Should a player get surgery or play through a minor injury..." Surgery takes him out for the year, playing through he can be just as effective but there's a high risk of real injury. Playing through an injury dramatically reduces a guy's injury rating.

WatTsu

Just started Longshot. I'm not sure what it says when Madden of all franchises has my favorite game story so far this year but there it is.

Klocker

I can't find him. I linked Twitch Prime too. Where did you get him?

Make sure you link EA account to twitch. it was on twitch account somewhere go to rewards and then madden reward, there was a small link to connect to EA.

Then card just popped up in unopened cards eventually

Ok, so I don't know if it was a bug or what, but I was able to play a full game of the standard version I preordered digitally on PS4 after the countdown expired last night. Then I went to bed.

All signs were pointing to it being ready to play leading up to it, but I didn't want to get my hopes up since I refused to pay $20 extra for early access and MUT stuff that I won't use. I thought it wouldn't be available to play until Tuesday because of this.

Top Bottom