• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '18 |OT| From 199 to The Greatest of All Time

This is my first time messing around with Ultimate Team. Is there anything specific that i should be spending my coins on? I refuse to ever buy points also.

Here's a decent guide for getting started:

http://www.operationsports.com/no-money-spent-essential-starting-tips-madden-ultimate-team/

I dont play MUT but most people recommend that when you sell crap cards you do it on the Auction site and not the 'QUick sell' because you can get 5x the value selling specific cards than the quick sell, as people want to complete packs with a specific card.

Just choked in the AFC Championship to the Los Angeles Chargers. Luck got hurt, so I had to use Derek Anderson and a defensive lineman did that hopping bullshit and picked me off on the game winning drive.

I'm gutted lol.

NHale

I know it hasn't been a full week, but less than 50% of PS4 players have completed act 1 of Longshot. Only about 1/3 have finished it.

That's actually good. Longshot isn't exactly the most appealing mode for hardcore Madden fans, especially MUT fans that basically only play that mode. So percentages in this types of games are never going to be great. There are so many different modes in the game that it's expected that some people never try all of them.

The fact that mode appears to don't have much traditional gameplay also make it more likely that most of the usual Madden buyers try it but don't finish it.

To be quite honest, Longshot seems to be a mode made because it's now expected from sports games, satisfy a part of the usual Madden crowd that like story modes but especially to try to bring new people to the game, people that rarely buy Madden but would now be enticed to do because they have a story...

Jesus... Michael Young, one of the visual production managers for Madden, just spoiled the end of Longshot for me on Twitter by retweeting somebody's end game. Wtf...

I made the mistake of starting longshot the other night and was up til 4am finishing it. Madden story mode has potential, even if this first attempt was in need of a better writer. Bring in the writer for Friday Night Lights.

Is the new Madden good and improved? Worth getting even if you have Madden 17?

I like it. The only thing currently annoying me is that defense is a bit broken and they're starting to get too many locked animations like 2K has. Also, WRs do some extra stuff, they seem to dive for catches way too much.

tbhysgb

Just tried arcade and all madden settings.

Won 22-19. Used the game to play with sliders too. Actually had the CPU qb miss throws.

Still getting used to all this. I played 15 for all of 3 games, last time I really got into madden was in the ps2 days.

WatTsu

Is the new Madden good and improved? Worth getting even if you have Madden 17?

'17 was good but I think this is in general a better game. Longshot is outstanding, MUT is still fun, menus and load times are better. I don't know enough about the nuts and bolts to tell you if defending is bad or if the receivers are wonky but it's a lot of fun. (I do think the running game seems better this year, but that might be because I'm playing the Arcade settings on MUT with Barry Sanders so who knows.)

Oh and I think another gripe of mine is the QB accuracy. Although I am playing on 35 and CPU is set to like 15. I still get gashed. I took out Tyrod Taylor in my Jets franchise and his back up was carving me out like he was freaking Tom Brady in his first drive.

And then on my drives, I could have a wide receiver wide open and no pressure and then my QB will throw it very wide. Like no where near the receiver. I know it's not the QB because I get that kind of stuff with Matt Ryan on my ATL franchise. Im not throwing it while moving or on my back foot either.

Maybe I just need to bump the QB accuracy back up. It get pretty frustrating trying to hit a wide open man and it gets thrown right to the defender instead lol.

QB accuracy is a major complaint of mine on the simulation mode. CPU and Human QBs are way too accurate. It's always been a problem in Madden, but this year they introduced 'Simulation' play style, and so the expectation is that QBs would not all be Aaron Rodgers.

As it is, Christian Hackenberg and Tom brady are virtually identical in how they can be used by the CPU or humans, even with sliders way tuned down. I've posted a lot about it on OS, and hoping there's some slider adjustment that somebody gets right.

Sizzle55

I am stuck on the last gauntlet challenge against the Patriots. I can kick the field goal, get a fumble, 2 passing and 2 rushing touchdowns easy as, but fucked if I can get an interception! Any tips?

crpav

Playing the "amazing" longshot mode between solo MUT challenges and man being an achievement junky sucks for it. Some of the achs for longshot require to do things correctly the whole longshot story so hoping I didn't mess any up because having to replay it would be torture. Can't skip cut scenes and truthfully it's a chore to begin with.

I just had a guy rage quit at 0-0 in the first quarter after an INT...lol

In draft champions in the past this was so common. People would play such predictable offenses, like going 4 verts on every play, and if you shut the play down 2 or 3 times, even without a turnover, they'd just rage quit.

In Draft Champions last year a guy came out in 4 verts on every play, and he got a couple completions to start, and then I just shaded the tight end for the rest of the game and got easy INTs. I went up 14 - 0, he quit, and then messaged me "fkn ngr play straight" I was like :screenshot: :report:

Sizzle55

Finally beat the gauntlet! Ha Ha Clinton Dix got the interception in the end zone and returned it pick six. Then I picked him off next play! Just needed to put a bit more pressure on him. Thank Christ that is over was really starting to piss me off!

Juicy Bob

QB accuracy is a major complaint of mine on the simulation mode. CPU and Human QBs are way too accurate. It's always been a problem in Madden, but this year they introduced 'Simulation' play style, and so the expectation is that QBs would not all be Aaron Rodgers.

As it is, Christian Hackenberg and Tom brady are virtually identical in how they can be used by the CPU or humans, even with sliders way tuned down. I've posted a lot about it on OS, and hoping there's some slider adjustment that somebody gets right.
I hate it when people dismiss games because of one little detail like that, but I have to admit, reading that really does put me off buying this year's version.

The 'unrealistically accurate second-rate QB' factor was a real source of frustration for me on Madden 16, which is the latest version I own. I just want games in Franchise to feel as much like the real games I watch on the telly. I want to be way more scared of facing Tom Brady on All-Madden than I am of any QB,n especially someone like Christian Bloody Hackenberg.

jonezer4

Has anyone been able to figure out how to pump fake in the pocket? Controls say click L3, I've tried it like 100 times and don't see a pump fake animation (usually just get sacked). In older Maddens, I recall holding a modifier button then a receiver to actually pump to a specific receiver and it was glorious. Now I feel like I literally can't do anything to bait the defense.

I'm not sure if this is a bug but when I try to upgrade some traits, it says I can't? IIRC, there are some packages that you can't have with certain traits but I can't upgrade them at all.

Edit: nvm. Found the answer. Apparently you need an extra 600 points to upgrade.

This game is so broken.

Metfanant

Is there a way to mass sub in your second string players in franchise? I could be missing it, but do I really need to go into the depth chart and change out each position individually?

Afrikan

FINALLY they are heading in the right direction again with the Graphics/Art.

It finally looks realistic again.

This BS from EA started with Madden 05, after Madden 03 and 04 looked realistic... then 05 went all cartoony...

Then when Madden 07 had realistic lighting, then went backwards with 08... then went all cartoony again in 09...all the way through 11...

Then it looked realstic and nice in Madden 12... real nice... then bla bla you get the idea.

Hopefully they stick with keeping the art authentic...and improve in other areas.

I was worried that the switch to Frostbite would set the art back initially, mainly because of Fifa's first conversion...and with EA not showing much gameplay until release. But nope, Looks Amazing on my OLED.

Have my franchise going with OS sliders and everything but Jesus Christ, the CPU QBs are just far too fucking accurate, and DBs routinely let players go 15 feet apart from them. The AI QB is game-breakingly accurate, and the playcalls are silly. I can stuff the run no problem and sack the QB but they're still hitting like 80% completion on me.

I had to switch back to All-Pro. All-Madden is just not fun right now and I can't find the right mix of slider settings. It can be third and 20 and they'll convert every time no matter what coverage I pick.

Also, any tips on getting my stick skills better? I know most people user the MLB. I'm awful on defense and with no CPU help, it's much more apparent.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Sounds like a patch was just released. No release notes yet:

https://twitter.com/pastapadre/status/905435256093736960

This is about a week earlier than expected, but PastaPadre says:

- Adds HDR support for PS4 Pro
- Improvements to pass rush
- Improvements to zone coverage

We'll see if there's anything else or any patch notes...

Pass rush and zone coverage definitely need help. Hope it works as intended. I'm ready to start a franchise.

Some early data looks like zone defense is much improved:

https://twitter.com/ZAN_4PM/status/905442022974263296

Here's the full changelog:

HDR Support
General Stability fixing various crashes and softlocks
Fixed issue with Steelers; crowd ‘Terrible Towels' appearing black or grey
Online Head-to-Head Quarter Length changed from 4 minutes to 5 minutes
Fixed an issue around MUT Squads players receiving the incorrect rewards when teammates leave the session early
Improved a small framerate drop when the ball is snapped on PS4
Tuned scaling of the football to be slightly smaller
Fixed an issue where Points were purchasable in Trial
Fixed Button functionality to be correct: [CROSS] button does not function when attempting to load a MADDEN PROFILE

Gameplay

Zone Coverage tuning to increase ‘Break-on-Throw' times
Tuning to decrease effectiveness of Ball Carrier special moves
Fixed issue around Coaches standing in the middle of the field when re-starting MUT Challenges
Tuning to increase blocksheds in run defense vs. Gun Inside Zone plays
Tuning to slightly increase pass rush when QB holds onto the ball for longer times in the pocket
Fixed an issue with sideline characters not reacting appropriately to big plays

Franchise

Fixed incorrect Chargers/Giants week 5 game on the schedule
Fixed issue around schedules recording incorrectly when using Play Now Live for Preseason Week

Sephzilla

*Assign three DBs to guard the middle of the field*

*They all leave the middle of the field open for an easy 20 yard catch*

Why is defensive AI always so incredibly stupid in these games?

z27v1way5dkz.jpg

76bRe.gif

Goddammit Madden.

That's...... gotta be fake, right?
Nope, that's directly from my Colts franchise. I looked at it this afternoon and I was like "Huh...that doesn't seem right at all". There are some serious issues with this game but here I am in the 2020 season with my Colts loving it.

I play Offense only and use super sim. I used to do Play The Moments but they wouldn't give me enough offensive possessions.

Also they need to fix the super sim XPAs. There is a bug right now where they're kicking 50+ yard XP attempts instead of the 35 yards it usually is.

Get your shit together EA. I'm sick of Vinatieri missing a fucking XPA.

Aaah so it that why PAT attempts are missed like 30% of the time...

I also hate how SuperSim's running game is fucked. THey did improve the clock issues with SuperSim, but the running simulation is so screwed up. You'll get endless 3 - 6 yard runs, over and over and over again on a drive, like 30 - 40, six yard runs... It's just so weird they used to have this working back during the NCAA Football days and that version of Madden, but then broke it with last year's madden.

Nope, that's directly from my Colts franchise. I looked at it this afternoon and I was like "Huh...that doesn't seem right at all". There are some serious issues with this game but here I am in the 2020 season with my Colts loving it.

I play Offense only and use super sim. I used to do Play The Moments but they wouldn't give me enough offensive possessions.

Amazing

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I played for the first time yesterday and was getting destroyed. Couldn't defend a pass against the CPU on Pro. Couldn't figure out why, and I was using zone coverage all game.

Guess I know why.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So when do new Roster updates come out? Mine says I am up to date, but Joe Haden, JJ Wilcox and a bunch of players that were cut or traded are still on the Steelers Roster. I tried to make the actual trade in franchise and it won't be accepted.

I haven't really played a Madden game in 7 + years and there is way more crap here than there use to be. I just wanted to sit down and play a season with the correct players. I probably spent 3 hours last night trying to get it right and still can't get the right players on my roster.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So when do new Roster updates come out? Mine says I am up to date, but Joe Haden, JJ Wilcox and a bunch of players that were cut or traded are still on the Steelers Roster. I tried to make the actual trade in franchise and it won't be accepted.

I haven't really played a Madden game in 7 + years and there is way more crap here than there use to be. I just wanted to sit down and play a season with the correct players. I probably spent 3 hours last night trying to get it right and still can't get the right players on my roster.

Joe Haden is on the Steelers. He was traded to them from the Browns.

Afrikan

Still too many crashes/disconnections for my liking. Madden online used to never be like this.

Not talking about people cheating... but server issues... heck when there was going to be server maintenance, I swear if you had already started your online match... you wouldn't get booted. But it just happened to me when I was winning my game. :/

Don't quote me on this but I think zones are bunk but they're working on a patch. Like the zones are really open, you're gonna get burned.

Edit; Yeah, check out this twitter thread https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/status/902273721892777985

Which man coverage is the best overall? I suck at picking defensive plays and just let the coach suggestion pick. But they often suggest zone coverage. So what man coverage should i chose for most pass plays? CPU often picks up my blitzes when their team is around 80 ovr. My pass rush aint good enough, i pummel the CPU QB if they are around 60-70 ovr. My current MUT team is 79 ovr.

The 2nd totw challenge is beating my ass though. Cant get drives going against that mean CPU defense on All-pro 80 Ovr. They always stops my runs and most of the times just picks me off on pass plays.

I'm mut level 19 omw to 20 and this is the first challenge even on all-pro im stuck on, doubt it is even worth it? Just getting one totw player and i did get the pre season totw bundle with like 9 packs... and i only got like one totw player that was worth it rest i just traded to elite sets.

Some early data looks like zone defense is much improved:

https://twitter.com/ZAN_4PM/status/905442022974263296

Here's the full changelog:

HDR Support
General Stability fixing various crashes and softlocks
Fixed issue with Steelers; crowd ‘Terrible Towels’ appearing black or grey
Online Head-to-Head Quarter Length changed from 4 minutes to 5 minutes
Fixed an issue around MUT Squads players receiving the incorrect rewards when teammates leave the session early
Improved a small framerate drop when the ball is snapped on PS4
Tuned scaling of the football to be slightly smaller
Fixed an issue where Points were purchasable in Trial
Fixed Button functionality to be correct: [CROSS] button does not function when attempting to load a MADDEN PROFILE

Gameplay

Zone Coverage tuning to increase ‘Break-on-Throw’ times
Tuning to decrease effectiveness of Ball Carrier special moves
Fixed issue around Coaches standing in the middle of the field when re-starting MUT Challenges
Tuning to increase blocksheds in run defense vs. Gun Inside Zone plays
Tuning to slightly increase pass rush when QB holds onto the ball for longer times in the pocket
Fixed an issue with sideline characters not reacting appropriately to big plays

Franchise

Fixed incorrect Chargers/Giants week 5 game on the schedule
Fixed issue around schedules recording incorrectly when using Play Now Live for Preseason Week

Gotta say, HDR is fantastic in this game. Graphics are truly excellent now.

Top Bottom