• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 announcement imminent? Take-Two registers several domains.

Slash

Banned
I feel sorry for people who we're not old enough to enjoy the first Mafia. It was as others have said, a classic. Mafia 2 was a step in the wrong direction for the series but i sill liked it. Cannot wait for Mafia 3.

Sijil

I'm hoping for a 70's, 80's setting, similar to Goodfellas.

EDIT: beaten, good to see others wanting the same setting tho.

I enjoyed both Mafia's but also feel Mafia 2 was a step in the wrong direction, I hope Mafia 3 returns to the way it did its open world in the first game.

I loved the first Mafia game, the atmosphere was great, even if some of the added realism elements could be frustrating (obeying traffic laws? Ain't nobody got time for that).

I was excited for Mafia II. It had a decent foundation, but ultimately lacking objectives. It was an open-world for the sake of it, with nothing to do but the missions.

I hope Mafia 3 doesn't have the legion of issues that bogged development of Mafia II, cause I'm ready to be hyped for another one of those!

Well, according to an anonymous source, development was restarted by 2K San Francisco's Studio, which scraped 2K Czech's work which went into full production on Mafia 3 in 2012.

Not sure if it was genuine or not, but someone posted some Mafia-like concept art in a MIII speculation thread last month, before it was quickly pulled. I liked what I saw. :)

Hmm. So it's been in development for what 2 years, if that? If they scaped everything Czechs made in 2013/14 it can't be that far along.

We'll see what happens.

prudislav

honestly i am more curious about the reactions and impressions from ex-2KCzech guys in Warhorse(aka brains behind Mafia 1) than about the game itself

Didn't their financial report suggest that they'll have a major new game out before the end of March? Seems like a quick turnaround if they're going to announce it later this year; of which I approve.

I was of the understanding that their new studio in 'The Bay' (presumably San Francisco?) was developing it. They were briefly helmed by Rod Fergusson before he went back to work on Gears.
There's confusion over it. 2K Brno are working on something and have job postings within the last year that seemed to hint at mafia, and with what they've done in the past it would make sense.

Wherever it is being made it is confusing as shit.

ThatGuy

I guess the two studios share the Engine / Tools between them but that they develop two different games. We will probably see the game at PAX Prime or Gamescom this year.

misho8723

Banned
I just hope that 2K isn't going to make the open-world in Mafia 3 in the style of "Ubisoft open-world game structure"

I liked Mafia 2, but yeah, it could have been so much more.. and Mafia 1 is a classic

Reule

Definitely need more things to do. I didn't mind driving around the city listening to to tunes all day but outside of the story, there wasn't much to do in Mafia 2. Also, how are you going to have a game about the Mafia and not have any melee weapons? Great atmosphere, though.

AMC124c41

Neo Member
Mafia II, if set on simulation, has some of the best open-world game car physics ever, I hope they keep that in the game and we don't get another GTA V. Just give us the option between Arcade and Simulation again, everyone wins :)

I'm on board. I do hope they cut down on the number of enemies though. Towards the end of 2, it felt like hundreds of them were coming out of clown cars at every turn.

-BLITZ-

Okay, if they already started to register domains why not tell some stuff.

Basic what I know and closing to two years now. So far about the progress.

- Working hard at changing all the animation, ragdoll physics being less sturdy, arcade-ish, less fighting interaction arcade style, more fluid, dynamic, friendly eye. Things started out with tests that were made with Vito on game engine of Mafia II, by updating with the jumping system, running then transferring everything to the newest engine or "0.2" by how others call.
- Cover system & hiding update when interacting with cops or enemies. I don't know what they could bring better than what it was in Mafia II because at least to me, it worked very well (I escaped once from a cop where I was hiding behind a vehicle and him at the other side, the bar begin to drop even faster than ever, it took a couple of seconds and in that moment I lost all the wanted heat, without the cop having a script/coded in him to know about my location ), but why complain when you can make it even better. Maybe the bar system will be improved. Police will be important as the same as they were in both games.
- What I do know is that they are working hard to make the next Mafia, to be better than II could not bring, also extending the game through bigger and larger city scale.
- Possible plot approach *spoilers*
Vito reappearing as main character, involved around a tragic event, (Joe? - I Do Not Know) as the game suppose to starts directly from this point (this is how they want for the game to begin), and right here everything stops. This is all that I know.

Remember, like in my Fallout 4, it's been a while since I know. Everything could had been erased and coming up with something different (I'm referring to the story + main characters).

EDIT:

Oh, I didn't know about this because at that time when the news hit my PC died and I didn't had great access on my phone. Either didn't knew about 2KCzech situation. So basic, what I knew about the next Mafia was nothing more than ground testing of Mafia II engine used for that's going to be.

If the image-casting is related to the next Mafia, I do apologize to all for misleading to what I used to know about the progress of Mafia 3. Is true that everything took another direction now because 2KCzech suppose to continue from where they left with Mafia II, but now it's gone. It's a shame, I didn't like at all how Mafia II ended.

codhand

Mafia 2 had the least likeable protagonist in recent history.

The entire cast was completely devoid of a non trash-human.

Mimosa97

Got Mafia II with PS+ a long time ago and I haven't played it yet. I'm thinking about playing the first one but It's not on Steam/GOG.

Pachimari

Don't even think about 2 before playing the first one. It's really good

How am I supposed to play the first one ? I can't find it anywhere ... :(
To be fair. They aren't connected. So he could in theory just go ahead and play Mafia II, until he finds the original.

I think you can buy the Steam version off some Russians if that whole trade thing still works the same.

I think I paid about $120-140 for Mafia 1 on Steam last year.

ironcreed

Banned
I am all for it. Mafia II was a great game. All it really needed was more things to do in the world and I hope they address that.

Mimosa97

To be fair. They aren't connected. So he could in theory just go ahead and play Mafia II, until he finds the original.

I think you can buy the Steam version off some Russians if that whole trade thing still works the same.

I've just read that the game isn't compatible with Windows 7/8 and my budget for a game this old would have been 20$ or less so yeah I give up. I'll just go ahead and play the second one on PS3.

Never played the Mafia games. Is it worth playing Mafia 2 on 360?

Play it on PC if you can, i played it on the 360 and the image quality and performance were atrocious, sub 30 fps almost all the time, and sub 20 in a couple of scenes and areas, the game was ok i guess, i never played the first one wich is supposed to be far better, i did not like the main character at all, too much driving sections and an unsatisfying ending that came all of a sudden in my opinion, if i had to rate it i would give it a 7.

Revan

Awesome. LOVED Mafia and was really happy with Mafia 2.

I'd like a remake of Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven on current gen consoles. Everything about that game was perfect.

Pachimari

I really liked how you could get tickets for crossing the street with a red light. Sadly they took it out for the sequel as it could become frustrating, but it should have been an option.

But we are lucky to have even gotten Mafia II with all of the threats going on behind the scenes.

Im a BIG fan of Mafia and Mafia 2, but its not the same guys working anymore (they went to make Kingdom Come IIRC), so yeah... I dont know...

Will wait and see, but not in excited mode, like I was for 2 when it was announced as a big fan of the original game.

Same as if Rockstar announced a new Bully. ALL the people from that game are now on United Front and made Sleeping Dogs, so it has a high chance of going wrong with new people.

Well, I wouldnt call them totally conected, but theres a mission that looses all of its cool bits if you never experienced Mafia 1. A really wow moment for the fans of the first game.

Pachimari

Be glad Vavra isn't there anymore. So many employees had issues with him during the development of Mafia II. So hopefully development of Mafia III will be smoother and with no drama.

Be glad Vavra isn't there anymore. So many employees had issues with him during the development of Mafia II. So hopefully development of Mafia III will be smoother and with no drama.

Glad?
I think 1 and 2 are great games and he was responsible for them, also think Kingdom Come is looking amazing.
I dont really give much of a fuck about the drama inside the studio if at the end theres a great game.

Mafia 2 had a bunch of content cut sadly, but I still think it was great, not as good a 1 mind you, but still really good.

EDIT: And BTW, as someone who worked on a studio with some drama, you never hear the two sides of a story when you are outside, so beware with those.

Not me in this case, but I still remember the guy that came to neogaf and said he was an insider of CDPR (as he worked there and was ut or given the boot), I think he was even verified, and he told everyone the game was going to be crap, and everyone would hate it when released and that we didnt know nothing about the drama inside the studio and why the game was having a bunch of problems, and here we are with the game released and nearly universal praise.

Top Bottom