• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm sloooooooowly getting to the end of the game. One last district left.

Is there any way to force this game to save, or do you just have to wait several minutes until it autosaves? I'm always paranoid about quitting because I don't want to lose my progress.

Just call the consigliere, give her your money and the game should save.

v1ncelis

Any chance for a photomode? I would spend my time just driving around finding best spots for photo shots while listening this awesome soundtrack. The City and areas around look amazing especially at night. Last time I was so amazed by the looks of the game at night was well Mafia II.

vypek

Getting excited for the end with this Donovan praise.

Actually I'm highly anticipating getting back to playing. Having only small amounts of time to play really changes the way I feel about the game.

jmizzal

This game has some of the best shooting from your car, I love how you can target parts of the car your shooting at, way better then GTAV car shooting.

Did that car chase with Vito, lol got away from the police by driving on the railroad tracks

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
5GueBip.png

Just finished the game.

Kinda disappointing tbh, the best bit was definitely the mid credits scene (Is this a spoiler? Saying theres a scene there?)

Didn't like the ending
I got. Will Youtube the others, I chose to rule with Vito, Burke and Cass as I thought it would let me replay the other endings, but NOPE

Donovan was the stand out character. The repetitive missions killed the flow of the story, to the point where I felt sympathy for Sal and Giorgi at the end.

rdytoroll

Finished the game at 29 hours and I'm glad it's over to be honest. The game has a very strong beginning, but the pacing of the rest just doesn't hold up. Don't be fooled by the amazing first 5 hours (like I was). The other 20-25 hours you'll just do the same stuff over and over again. Imo it's one of the worst offenders concerning repetition in the last few years. I still kinda forced myself through the game, one because I don't like leaving games unfinished after putting a few hours in it and two because it has a lot of strong parts to it: the soundtrack (10/10), story, characters, driving and gunplay.
Overall I have to give it a 6/10, it's worth buying at a sale at least.

Edit: I chose the
Rule Together
ending. Just watched the
Rule Alone
ending, I think I like that one better.

Good thing I held off and grabbed Gears to tide me over instead, I may grab this on sale down the line. Can't deal with open world repetition anymore, really.

hbkdx12

I finished mafia 3 a few days ago and moved to tomb raider and playing that game makes me miss the stand out things that mafia 3 does well. I just got a machine gun in tomb raider that sounds like a pistol...if that pistol were a toy pop gun you got out of a Cracker Jack box.

rdytoroll

Okay, I've taken over all the districts and I think I'm about to start the last mission.

I must say, the last few story missions have been great. In fact, most of them have been great. It's just a shame you have to go through so much tedious shit to get to them.

If the racket takeovers were side content, this would be a pretty good game. Not a great one, but a good one.

Yeah, absolutely. It would have been much better paced as a 10-15 hours experience. Taking over districts really doesn't add that much to the game imo. It's all just busywork gating you from accessing the next great story mission.

peakish

God damn checkpoints. Was doing a drug delivery mission: killed a few bad guys, took a boat to pick up the weeds, then drove them to a warehouse, then got in a truck and got cornered by a hitman squad which took me out because I was cocky and forgot that the time to kill is ridiculous in the game. Where do I respawn? On the other side of the damn Bayou from where the mission even begins, all progress reset.

I hadn't even been in that area of the Bayou in a good while.

Yeah, absolutely. It would have been much better paced as a 10-15 hours experience. Taking over districts really doesn't add that much to the game imo. It's all just busywork gating you from accessing the next great story mission.

They could always correct the game making the optionals, optionals. Let's hope so but i don't know if they are use to have a great post-launch support.

Rellik

Yeah but then he says that he's not sure. if you've finished the game, check my quote below.

Okay, I've finished the game now and
I thought the exact same thing. Especially with how the camera lingered on him when he looked at Clay before getting back in the car.

Was so cool to see Leo Galante again as well.

I really enjoyed the 25 hours I spent finishing the game. Yes, it's a technical shit show and there's a bit of repetition, but everything else was great. Next time they just need to cut the fat and give us more of those great kill list missions.

jmizzal

I finished mafia 3 a few days ago and moved to tomb raider and playing that game makes me miss the stand out things that mafia 3 does well. I just got a machine gun in tomb raider that sounds like a pistol...if that pistol were a toy pop gun you got out of a Cracker Jack box.

Just finished Rise of Tomb Raider and playing Mafia 3 right now, and Tomb Raider shooting is awful compared to Mafia 3

Rellik

Just finished Rise of Tomb Raider and playing Mafia 3 right now, and Tomb Raider shooting is awful compared to Mafia 3

Were you playing Tomb Raider on console? It has input lag that automatically makes it awful.

But yeah, I won't be going into another third person shooter now I've done with Mafia III because the gunplay is amazing.

dreamfall

Mafia III reminds me a Scarface game a little bit.

High praise also, because I loved that game. I really do think a team who worked on the second Godfather game must've been involved, at least inspirationally. The story in that game is absolutely trash, and the gunplay feels like it has no weight, but the rackets you take over have a similar mechanic. It definitely felt a lot more tedious to manage your family and place higher tier enforcers to guard locations because territories were constantly under attack. And the developers loved to reset your progress after you took over the entire map to tell you to do it again. Thank God that's not the case here.

I have two districts left to conquer but I spent a lot of time maximizing loyalty and doing the side missions. Driving is still amazing, and the gunplay is the strongest in the genre. But god damn! Mission creativity - next time maybe make these missions rotate even in objective! I've been loving the story, and I'm finally getting a smooth 60fps with Reflection quality on low. Let's hope for an optimization patch soon, had to bump AA to medium because I felt like there was way too much dithering like DF mentioned.

New Bordeaux's layout continues to impress me. Driving through the bayou at night brings in a ton of atmosphere. It's a shame that the side missions only have you going to steal weed/moonshine/trucks just to drive them back into the city.

Devs, if you're listening - please for the love of everything make each DLC chapter a couple hours focused on story, presentation and narrative. No padding of content with repetitious racket takeover, just interesting missions designed with good cutscenes to help usher the action along. The combat and driving mechanics are so good, and it'll be great to see them utilized in a grander way.

dreamfall

So what do I need to do to earn the consigliere service where the kickbacks get picked up for me?

So I think it's under Vito's associate path - $140,000 level. Secure territories for him, give him a district and do some of the side missions for Alma to get each racket location maxed out. Usually they are 20k short.

Braag

Just finished the game.

Anyone else surprised to see Joe at the end? I wish it was better explained.
You mean one of Leo's henchmen? Yeah I highly doubt that was Joe, he just had slightly similar features. If you finish Vito's side missions he will the you Joe's story.

SomTervo

God damn checkpoints. Was doing a drug delivery mission: killed a few bad guys, took a boat to pick up the weeds, then drove them to a warehouse, then got in a truck and got cornered by a hitman squad which took me out because I was cocky and forgot that the time to kill is ridiculous in the game. Where do I respawn? On the other side of the damn Bayou from where the mission even begins, all progress reset.

I hadn't even been in that area of the Bayou in a good while.

Literally same thing happened to me. I only survived my second try because I ducked the truck into a safe zone full of friendlies and called Vito's guys for backup. It was actually an awesome and immersive gun fight... Pity the context was an irritating hitman encounter!

Just started the game today, I hope a patch will come soon at least to fix the clouds shadows, it's the only glitch that makes me feel like the game is unfinished (although it is technically very flawed).

I love it so far, although there are a bit too much cutscenes, but I'm pretty sure I just arrived at the true open world gameplay part (I'm 2/3 hours in). I did a little tour on the rails by car, but didn't see any moving train on my way. It was fun and pretty though. Can't wait to go back tomorrow !

I was amazed by the twist, I honestly didn't see it coming, I really felt for Lincoln and I think his rage feels real.

I'm sure the explanation is obvious and I just didn't pay enough attention during a cutscene, but can someone explain to me
where the CIA guy comes from ? I like him so far but I feel like he was just... there when Lincoln woke up from the gunshot to his head.

Lime

First couple of hours into the game and the writing is decent and the presentation is really good - look at Clay's mouth when he's finishing his beer with Danny & Giorgio.

The story is already ten times more interesting than whatever AAA forgettable and mind-numbing trash we usually get.

hbkdx12

I'm sure the explanation is obvious and I just didn't pay enough attention during a cutscene, but can someone explain to me
where the CIA guy comes from ? I like him so far but I feel like he was just... there when Lincoln woke up from the gunshot to his head.
in the cutscene where father James talks about finding Lincoln alive in the fire he says the last words Lincoln said to him was Donovan's name. So he contacted him

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the talk with Father James about
how killing Nazis should've meant something for him but it didn't is face on address to ludonarrative dissonance of killing hordes of enemies without remorse.
Very well done, Hangar 13 has very good writers.

can i max out everyones "stories" in one playthrough or not? because the idea of playing through this more than once is crazy to me, like i enjoy the game but no way am i playing another go.
i accidentally assigned barclay mills to vito so idk does it actually matter who i assign what to

hbkdx12

can i max out everyones "stories" in one playthrough or not? because the idea of playing through this more than once is crazy to me, like i enjoy the game but no way am i playing another go.
i accidentally assigned barclay mills to vito so idk does it actually matter who i assign what to

You can do everyone's favors in one playthrough if you give them districts evenly. I'm about 95% sure that it doesn't matter which particular district is given to who.

Rellik

If you give the district to someone else then they also take over the rackets in that district so you can take that off Vito later.

Rellik

You will piss him off though.

True, but if he's planning to equally share districts then he'll be fine when you give him his district. I had 2 of them pissed at me at first because I didn't understand how it worked, but everyone cooled eventually.

v1ncelis

Guys, what's going on - every time I'm trying to do optional Vito mission 'Seems Simple Enough' there's no truck nor enemies around in that spot. Is that glitch or what? Please help.

vypek

Guys, what's going on - every time I'm trying to do optional Vito mission 'Seems Simple Enough' there's no truck nor enemies around in that spot. Is that glitch or what? Please help.

This sounds like a mission to improve his earn unless I am mistaken. If Vito has his earn maxed out at all locations then nothing will show up.

Top Bottom