• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Roufianos

I give up. I'm really busy and stressed at the moment with my course and video games are meant to be my down time. I shouldn't have to do 2 hours of brain dead cut & paste missions just to get to something enjoyable. I'm just gonna trade this in and stick to Gears 4 MP. I'll just watch what happened to Joe on YouTube as that was my main motivation.

Clearly Hanger 13 has some talent as the main missions are really well designed, why they felt the need to bloat this game with all the shitty missions I between is beyond me.

Has their been any word on the frame pacing issue fix? it's pretty bad on PS4 or to put it simply it feels bad to do anything except for standing around.

Latimer

Banned
This might be the blurriest game I've ever played (PC) I might have to try some sharpen filter.

I do love the gunplay though, I just wish the gun sounds were more punchy. The sound is poorly mixed in general TBH.

vypek

Having a silence handgun is really, really fun. I can shoot someone in the back of the head and then the person he was talking to in his face and the combat alert will drop

This might be the blurriest game I've ever played (PC) I might have to try some sharpen filter.

I do love the gunplay though, I just wish the gun sounds were more punchy. The sound is poorly mixed in general TBH.

Another detail that feels like an unfinished game...
The only game that blurry that I can recall is GTA 4 on PS3.

Traded this in this morning. First 3 hours were excellent. After that, just the same few missions over and over

First game this year I've been excited about that disappointed me

duder92

Neo Member
Just wrapped this one up. Like others have said, it starts so strong and then the pacing of progression just kills it. It's a damn shame because this is far and away the best open world driving and combat I've experienced, not even close.

The story is great, and that kept me plowing through. The actual main story missions were actually pretty varied and entertaining, just a shame it was wrapped in the takeover mechanic. Can't really understand the thinking of the developer in that decision.

Game was pretty stable for me until the last day or so, with a few crashes, but nothing too major.

All in all I'd probably give it an 8, but there is just some amazingly wasted potential here. Hope it does well enough to get a 4th one, and they cut the length in half to a tight 15 hour experience instead of buffering it out to 25-30 like they did here.

Still, I really liked many parts of it, just left me a little empty with thoughts of what could have been.

Rellik

I don't have any links, but there are some reshade presets out there that remove a lot of the blur. Most are posted in the PC performance thread.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm having fun but this game is best played in "short" bursts, no more than 30-60 minutes since the mission become somewhat boring and repetive.

Also what is up with no pedestrians fighting back (or shop owners and other people)? In Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 they would often fight back and stealing cars would result getting an at in the face or a bullet

Ladekabel

So I have finished the
last three districts with only the three capos left to go. How long after that?

Oh and can't you
recruit that racist bastard in the supermarket? I wiretapped but didn't get a prompt to recruit him. Not that I would've wanted anyway.

Adnor

Banned
So I have finished the
last three districts with only the three capos left to go. How long after that?

Oh and can't you
recruit that racist bastard in the supermarket? I wiretapped but didn't get a prompt to recruit him. Not that I would've wanted anyway.

You can't recruit him. It makes complete sense that Lincoln doesn't want a slaver on his team

dreamfall

I'm nearing the end I think, and I have to say that the Southdowns and Frico Fields district finale missions have been amazing.

Killing Tommy after the racist fight arena was a great mission, and a really nice change of pace. When that place went up in flames, with that crazy shootout to make it to the front door, I was having a grand old time. My fight with Santangelo was awesome too, he and his boys rolled up near the French Ward hideout and a full on street war with the Haitains ensued - this where the game is really the best. Bullets flying everywhere, NPCs killing each other in a full on street clash.

Killing the KKK members of the Southern Union was as wild as the gif illustrated. I wish I hadn't seen that clip before heading into the mission because it was legitimately amazing - I definitely tossed a couple grenades and full blown chaos ensued. It was the Olivia Marcano district finale that surprised me the most. Going from wild violence against Duvall to his wake was actually really well done - the story has been phenomenal. I wish we had more time with each underboss to take out because some of them seemed really sinister and really well written, but by the time we start to get to know them, they're already dead. Lincoln was playing no games, jamming his fingers in Olivia's wound made me wince.

I'm having a great time with it - these final battles have been supremely satisfying and highlight how good the core shooting mechanics really are. Hoping the DLCs are well paced set piece missions, much like the district finale missions, that tell a great story.

Rellik

I'm nearing the end I think, and I have to say that the Southdowns and Frico Fields district finale missions have been amazing.

Killing Tommy after the racist fight arena was a great mission, and a really nice change of pace. When that place went up in flames, with that crazy shootout to make it to the front door, I was having a grand old time. My fight with Santangelo was awesome too, he and his boys rolled up near the French Ward hideout and a full on street war with the Haitains ensued - this where the game is really the best. Bullets flying everywhere, NPCs killing each other in a full on street clash.

Killing the KKK members of the Southern Union was as wild as the gif illustrated. I wish I hadn't seen that clip before heading into the mission because it was legitimately amazing - I definitely tossed a couple grenades and full blown chaos ensued. It was the Olivia Marcano district finale that surprised me the most. Going from wild violence against Duvall to his wake was actually really well done - the story has been phenomenal. I wish we had more time with each underboss to take out because some of them seemed really sinister and really well written, but by the time we start to get to know them, they're already dead. Lincoln was playing no games, jamming his fingers in Olivia's wound made me wince.

I'm having a great time with it - these final battles have been supremely satisfying and highlight how good the core shooting mechanics really are. Hoping the DLCs are well paced set piece missions, much like the district finale missions, that tell a great story.

My only issue with the first one you mentioned is
the terrible melee system in this game made the cage fight boring for me. The boxing in jail in Mafia II was better.

My only issue with the first one you mentioned is
the terrible melee system in this game made the cage fight boring for me. The boxing in jail in Mafia II was better.

I have literally never heard anyone praise Mafia 2's brawling system before this comment. It was bloody cheeks. Mafia 3's system is simple and effective. Maybe a bit too simple for a set-piece boxing match but I'd rather have that than Mafia 2's clunkiness.

Alienous

I'm not at the point where the open world starts opening up but this is a game crying out to be linear. It's heavily narrative driven, and it's a great and compelling narrative.

I almost want to stop playing and not meet the impending bloat. My only complaints so far are the dumb AI and lack of polish, and the latter particularly would have been helped by more focused design.

I hope it doesn't entirely fall apart. The effort put into this shouldn't result in that outcome.

Stiler

I'm not at the point where the open world starts opening up but this is a game crying out to be linear. It's heavily narrative driven, and it's a great and compelling narrative.

I almost want to stop playing and not meet the impending bloat. My only complaints so far are the dumb AI and lack of polish, and the latter particularly would have been helped by more focused design.

I hope it doesn't entirely fall apart. The effort put into this shouldn't result in that outcome.

That's what happens, the first few hours are really really strong and focused on the narrative and it's amazing, feels just like the previous games and how they eschewed the
"GTA/ubisoft" style open world games and kept you focused on the story.

then once you get to the event that starts you into the main gameplay "loop" that strong narrative focus goes bye bye and the main gameplay is doing very repetitive things to take over 'districts" (which you HAVE to do) in order to get to the narrative missions that advance the stories that are drip feed to you.

Lime

in terms of pure quality, would you guys put this game on the same level as Red Dead Redemption?

Good characters, decent writing, unique setting, political themes, one in a million protagonist, excellent music, and good fundamental game mechanics. The open world fatigue is real in this game, but if you are a atmosphere over gameplay kinda player, this game is good.

I'd rather have something like this that has something to say than yet another white dude in "apolitical" New York that is just soulless narrative and cookie cutter gameplay

Good characters, decent writing, unique setting, political themes, one in a million protagonist, excellent music, and good fundamental game mechanics. The open world fatigue is real in this game, but if you are a atmosphere over gameplay kinda player, this game is good.

I'd rather have something like this that has something to say than yet another white dude in "apolitical" New York that is just soulless narrative and cookie cutter gameplay

ehhh i hear mixed thoughts about Lincoln, many don't think his characterization was as good as Tommy's (Mafia 1) or Vito's (Mafia 2). and Tommy is a deeper character than Vito. from what i played and remember

but I havn't played it yet so...

vypek

The repetitive mission structure gets the most annoying for shitty missions like stealing cars. And one of those missions are bugged too.

Aside from only being in police impound lots which is annoying enough, every time I was headed towards the 2nd car I would get a notice that it was wrecked and had to get another one. I'd select another and when I left my map, the icon would disappear and I'd have to set the GPS again anyways.

Have to take a break every now and then so I can actually finish this.

EDIT:
Had a problem where I was interrogating someone in the streets and a car hit us and pushed us along the road causing a witness to start calling cause we entered their line of sight. At some point the car stops pushing us (don't know if it disappeared or went around) and the person I was interrogating disappeared. Then the game crashed.

On a funnier note, I killed someone and it caused someone to start approaching to investigate but he walked into the pool and died

Rellik

The repetitive mission structure gets the most annoying for shitty missions like stealing cars. And one of those missions are bugged too.

Aside from only being in police impound lots which is annoying enough, every time I was headed towards the 2nd car I would get a notice that it was wrecked and had to get another one. I'd select another and when I left my map, the icon would disappear and I'd have to set the GPS again anyways.

Have to take a break every now and then so I can actually finish this.

EDIT:
Had a problem where I was interrogating someone in the streets and a car hit us and pushed us along the road causing a witness to start calling cause we entered their line of sight. At some point the car stops pushing us (don't know if it disappeared or went around) and the person I was interrogating disappeared. Then the game crashed.

On a funnier note, I killed someone and it caused someone to start approaching to investigate but he walked into the pool and died

Those vehicles respawn in the same spot over and over.

Mr. Tibbs

What Lime said!

Flaws and all, I'm really enjoying the game. Would it benefit from a decent edit and some additional polish? Absolutely, but the driving, the world, the story, soundtrack and the gunplay are the best in the series, and place Mafia 3 above most other open-world games. Even with the filler content I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Scarphace

Okay I need some help fellas. I have no markers on the map and I have been driving around Barclay Mills trying to get the
Enzo Conti
mission to activate but all my markers disappeared during the garbage racket missions. I am having the same problem with the
Frank Pagini
mission in Tickfaw Harbor. I know for the
Tony Derazo
mission downtown I had to drive around looking for a car that I had to follow even with no mission markers on the map. I am driving through these two districts and I cant find anything. Please help

Solved:
You have to wiretap the junction box on the west side of Barclay Mills for the mission markers to reappear. Are you kidding me? How was I supposed to know that without Google?!?!

What Lime said!

Flaws and all, I'm really enjoying the game. Would it benefit from a decent edit and some additional polish? Absolutely, but the driving, the world, the story, soundtrack and the gunplay are the best in the series, and place Mafia 3 above most other open-world games. Even with the filler content I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

better than Mafia 1? Mafia 1 had an amazing story and Tommy was an amazing character?

Mr. Tibbs

better than Mafia 1? Mafia 1 had an amazing story and Tommy was an amazing character?

Yes. I loved Mafia 1 (I don't think Mafia 2 is in the same league). Sure, it's packed with tropes and cliches, but it was really novel for its era. It did a better job with quieter moments, like when you walk your future wife home, and how you're drawn into mob life, but Mafia 3's cast manage to avoid being Henry Hill and Joe Pesci knock-offs. Much better antagonist, supporting characters, lead, and narrative presentation.

Yes. I loved Mafia 1 (I don't think Mafia 2 is in the same league). Sure, it's packed with tropes and cliches, but it was really novel for its era. It did a better job with quieter moments, like when you walk your future wife home, and how you're drawn into mob life, but Mafia 3's cast manage to avoid being Henry Hill and Joe Pesci knock-offs. Much better antagonist, supporting characters, lead, and narrative presentation.

So why is this game at a 68 on metacritic, shouldn't an amazing story balance out other faults in the game? I feel like from what i have been hearing this should of easily been a 80-85 game

Rellik

So why is this game at a 68 on metacritic, shouldn't an amazing story balance out other faults in the game? I feel like from what i have been hearing this should of easily been a 80-85 game

Terrible performance and repetitive open world missions.

Jocund

That's almost never the case; most reviewers put a premium on well-thought out game design and what-have-you, not so much story (as they probably should). Nier has an excellent story and script and it's sitting at a 68 on metacritic too.

That's almost never the case; most reviewers put a premium on well-thought out game design and what-have-you, not so much story (as they probably should). Nier has an excellent story and script and it's sitting at a 68 on metacritic too.

thats not right....I agree with you, if Red Dead has a 95 on metacritic, and actually has a weaker story and gameplay than Mafia 3, than M3 should be much higher than 68

Rellik

every open world game is repetitive though to some extent

True, but this makes you repeat missions to get to good varied missions. It's the only way to play them.

I loved the game. But I could have easily trimmed 10 hours off and had a better time with it.

There are people in this thread who aren't getting to play these awesome missions because they can't handle the constant repeats.

If they ported over the gameplay and we got the same level of quality story without all the repeats into Mafia IV then it can be a 90+

From what I've gathered, the game is becomes tedious to play which outweighs the good story and presentation. They should've gone for less bloat and more linearity. MGSV is pretty repetitive and the story is eh, but the gameplay is excellent and encounters vary.

Alienfan

How likeable is Lincoln Clay? He seems like a bit of an irredeemable psychopath (like Trevor minus the dramatised craziness) from what I saw in the GB QuickLook.

vypek

Those vehicles respawn in the same spot over and over.

Yeah, I discovered this during the first "steal 3 cars" mission where I got two from the same spot. My real annoyance was just that cars would "wreck" before I even got near them and then the waypoint I set would glitch out. I think I'm past the most annoying parts since I can steal vehicles more easily now

heringer

How likeable is Lincoln Clay? He seems like a bit of an irredeemable psychopath (like Trevor minus the dramatised craziness) from what I saw in the GB QuickLook.

He's pretty likeable. Much more so than Vito in Mafia 2.

Before playing the game I thought he would be some sort of Kratos too, but there's some depth to Lincoln. The whole cast is great.

Alienfan

He's pretty likeable. Much more so than Vito in Mafia 2.

Before playing the game I thought he would be some sort of Kratos too, but there's some depth to Lincoln. The whole cast is great.

Yeah, the supporting cast really impressed me, a culmination of incredible motion capture, terrific actors, and writing - good to hear the great characterisation extends to Lincoln, I was a bit worried.

Mr. Tibbs

Because it lacks polish. At launch, it had more technical issues than most open-world games. You can't customize the experience (eg: disable the UI or stop tutorial pop-ups), and you have to repeat missions to progress the story which disrupts your momentum. Playing through a brewery or luxury bath house map loses its impact the second time round because the objectives remain nearly identical. The side missions are often uninspired (ala Mafia 2 - a drive truck from this side of the map to the other), and player communication could be better: there are confusing objective markers that remain active even when it's not possible for the player to complete them.

That said, for me, the benefits I outlined in my previous post far outweigh the negatives, most of which I hope will be addressed in due course.

One thing to keep in mind. Mafia 2 benefited from having an 8 year development cycle and having Rockstar come in and save them.

Top Bottom