• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Has anyone else noticed that the radio gets real static-y when driving through tunnels? I thought that was an incredibly cool detail that no other games have, at least to my knowledge.

mileS

Has anyone else noticed that the radio gets real static-y when driving through tunnels? I thought that was an incredibly cool detail that no other games have, at least to my knowledge.

Also after you slam your car into things hard enough. There's countless little details all over this game. One hilarious detail I noticed yesterday was letting my car roll into a building and some lady is like 'nice parking job' sarcastically.

Can't get over how fun shooting is in this game is. The hit detection and weighty feeling of the guns and aiming adds to this tremendously. Other games need to step it up in this area because my god it makes a world of a difference. Technical issues aside I have been enjoying my time with Mafia 3 quite a bit.

Just finished. Really had a good time, though repetition hampered things about halfway through. Definitely could have done with the game being 3/4 of the length it is. Looking forward to the DLC stuff, because the premise of those packs sound really interesting.

vypek

Yeah, first saw it in a preview video where they had it going in and out when they were driving up a parking garage.

I do have one question: If assigning districts to one of your lieutenants immediately places every racket under that person's control, why are you even given the option to assign individual rackets prior to taking over districts? Isn't that kind of redundant, and ultimately meaningless?

Maybe I'm just not looking at it the right way, but it bugs me knowing that I might as well put the rackets in each district under one specific person, because if I choose two different people it won't even matter when I take over the district.

Mr. Tibbs

I do have one question: If assigning districts to one of your lieutenants immediately places every racket under that person's control, why are you even given the option to assign individual rackets prior to taking over districts? Isn't that kind of redundant, and ultimately meaningless?

Maybe I'm just not looking at it the right way, but it bugs me knowing that I might as well put the rackets in each district under one specific person, because if I choose two different people it won't even matter when I take over the district.

I guess it would only rile your lieutenants up if you do it in a linear fashion. For me, I assigned the rackets across the three open districts before tackling their climactic missions in a row, so I benefited from their perks and such.

Risev1

So I was doing the missions for the Garbage Racket, and the game crashed while I was in the middle of one of them. After I reloaded my save, I was no longer able to see an objective marker and the location for either of the remaining objective to take out this racket. I have no idea where to go to complete them. Can't proceed with the story til I do.

Any ideas on what to do? This is the PC version if it makes any difference.

Rellik

It's like in GTA V when you go into a tunnel and your GPS drops.

vypek

I was thinking about blasting through in a second playthrough doing some alternate choices but just had the thought that
killing my underbosses
will really ruin some perks and make the game annoying at many parts. Like losing
the armory van and best silenced handgun if I were to pick Vito over the others

painey

just beat it. what a shame the collectables aren't worth a damn, because to me it has zero replayability. there's no way this is a 68-ish game. it's the best open world GTA clone I think ive ever played, and honestly, if they took out the bullshit "filler" missions and just had you directly take over the two rackets from each district I feel like you have a contender for GOTY. I did forget about the glitches and crashes though.. unacceptable to release it like this. I had many glitches and over 10 hard crashes on my xbox one.

Ric Flair

Banned
Small nitpicky things I have: enemies trashtalking/laughing after ive killed several of their friends/colleagues with a shotgun spewing organs all over the damn place. I'd love for them to extend the scared reaction enemies have to you stabbing someone to a brutal shotgun blast or headshot. Or even just something like a hysterical scream as I'm marching down the hallway with a shotty. The other nitpick is the mission selection, they should have really changed the mission structure here. If the main game is only a couple hours without doing side missions, so what. If the side missions aren't fun, don't make them necessary

painey

also,
S8aoLWK.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've put about 10 hours in.

This may be the most immersive game I've ever played. They nailed everything from the art style, the mood of the city and an overwhelming sense of being in that place at that time.

The soundtrack is absolutely phenominal as well. I'm still hearing new songs and I just get more impressed.

And the writing- it's so refreshing to play a AAA game that is not only not insultingly bad, but actually excellent.

The gameplay itself is solid as well, especially for an open world game. Not much variety, and I'm not a fan of them using the same "hero" locations twice in each zone. Gunplay is very satisfying, and driving on simulation mode feels great.

The quality of life stuff is fantastic as well. The roadside arrows have set a new paradigm in how GPS is going to be handled in future open world games. The fact that it allows you to really take in the city as you are driving around without getting in the way is very clever. And having a rear view mirror does a good job of solving the "manually turn the camera 180 while reversing" problem.

I love this game.

vypek

For those of you who killed
underboss
. The perk is lost forever and you can't get the items back?
there are some parts of the game where your weapons are taken so it's not like you can keep the same gun. If I lose access to delivery service by killing Cassandra then how would I get those silenced guns back?

I think watching The Accountant made me enjoy the silenced pistol even more. I am just mowing down these thugs and feeling badass.

btw off topic but The Accountant was a great movie.

hbkdx12

For those of you who killed
underboss
. The perk is lost forever and you can't get the items back?
there are some parts of the game where your weapons are taken so it's not like you can keep the same gun. If I lose access to delivery service by killing Cassandra then how would I get those silenced guns back?

You don't lose the perks on the bottom of the weapon wheel (consiglere, car delivery and weapon delivery) When you kill an underboss, you go to the person that handles the side missions for that underboss and put them in charge of the districts that the underboss controlled so that the money can keep coming in and thus you get to keep using the perks listed above.

As far as i can tell, you might lose the perks on the top of the weapon wheel (cut phones, bribe cops, call hit squad) but i'm not 100% sure. I killed cassandra and I didn't have the perk to cut the phone lines before i did and so it was already greyed out but i imagine it's going to stay that way since there's no way of assigning her more districts to get the revenue to unlock it. I intend on killing burke soon so i'll know for sure then but maybe if they're already unlocked by time you kill the boss then they stay unlocked? It kind of makes sense for them to stay unlocked since you're just putting someone else in charge to keep running the districts but i'll know for sure later.

Scarphace

So I was doing the missions for the Garbage Racket, and the game crashed while I was in the middle of one of them. After I reloaded my save, I was no longer able to see an objective marker and the location for either of the remaining objective to take out this racket. I have no idea where to go to complete them. Can't proceed with the story til I do.

Any ideas on what to do? This is the PC version if it makes any difference.

On the west side of the district there is a building where if you drive past it shows a bunch of enemies there. There is a junction box not too far away. Wiretap the junction box and the markers come back. I was searching for the answer for about two hours yesterday.

vypek

You don't lose the perks on the bottom of the weapon wheel (consiglere, car delivery and weapon delivery) When you kill an underboss, you go to the person that handles the side missions for that underboss and put them in charge of the districts that the underboss controlled so that the money can keep coming in and thus you get to keep using the perks listed above.

As far as i can tell, you might lose the perks on the top of the weapon wheel (cut phones, bribe cops, call hit squad) but i'm not 100% sure. I killed cassandra and I didn't have the perk to cut the phone lines before i did and so it was already greyed out but i imagine it's going to stay that way since there's no way of assigning her more districts to get the revenue to unlock it. I intend on killing burke soon so i'll know for sure then but maybe if they're already unlocked by time you kill the boss then they stay unlocked? It kind of makes sense for them to stay unlocked since you're just putting someone else in charge to keep running the districts but i'll know for sure later.

Okay. Thanks. That's great to hear. :)

dreamfall

Holy shit! WHAT AN ENDING!

That was fuckin' JOE! No way. What a lingering shot! Donovan is insanely badass! That final encounter with Sal was great, nothing like stabbing the hell out of him and kickin him out that window! Chose to rule together. I couldn't believe that option of leaving town, after all that work? No way!

What a game. Absolutely loved a ton of it, and the ending was really something special. Bravo Hangar 13. The game is going to be criticized for being too repetitive and boring in an open world, but god damn if they didn't create one hell of a story. I can't wait for the DLCs, I'm going to type up further impressions in a bit - riding high after that!

Ladekabel

Just finished it. Liked it. Would have loved it if not for the repetitive missions. Which is a shame because some of the main missions where you're after the capos are great. Could've been GotY material for me but now it's "just" Top Ten.

In the end I decided to leave and I thought Vito would take over. He didn't. Cassandra got the new boss and shit went bad. Real bad.

Oh and Leo's driver in the end? That was definitly Joe!

Rellik

Just finished it. Liked it. Would have loved it if not for the repetitive missions. Which is a shame because some of the main missions where you're after the capos are great. Could've been GotY material for me but now it's "just" Top Ten.

In the end I decided to leave and I thought Vito would take over. He didn't. Cassandra got the new boss and shit went bad. Real bad.

Oh and Leo's driver in the end? That was definitly Joe!

I think it's whoever you give the most rackets to. The video of that ending I saw was really old Vito looking over the city.

Certinty

Regardless of the bugs and poor AI, get rid of the repetitive missions and this would easily be one of the best open world games ever made.

Honestly I don't even get how this currently has a Metacritic score under 70. It's just stupid, for everything this game does wrong it does so much more right. Feels like I'm playing a completely different game to reviewers.

I think it's whoever you give the most rackets to. The video of that ending I saw was really old Vito looking over the city.

I gave an equal number of rackets to all of them and got a different ending. I also did all their side missions. I think it's based on the hidden loyalty stat. I kind of wonder if it decays over time.

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is full of neat little details.

Earlier I went into this store via the back entrance to take the body armor. It had a "no colored allowed" sign in front, and as I was taking the body armor the owner walked up to me and told me to get the hell out. So I one-hit-KO'd him [well technically I killed him because apparantly Lincoln hits like a truck].

Anyway, I move around the area for a bit I noticed increased police activity in that area, and when I came by the store again I suddenly see this:

The store was closed and it was turned into an actual crimescene. You know, because the owner got fucking killed in the back of his own store. That's some next level stuff, I've never seen that in a game before.

Also stuff like this:

This informant in the French Ward turns out to be a policeman, a detective. And if you look closer at what he's actually doing inside that random abandoned warehouse:

There's no mention of this anywhere, the guy doesn't talk about it, Lincoln doesn't talk about it. It's just there as environmental storytelling. Really well done.

The French Ward district has been top-notch so far anyway, a big stepup from the previous wards. The Sex racket is exactly the sleezy, dirty stuff it should be. It also has locations based on that theme, not random warehouses or construction sites or whatever. The illegal brothel with the perverted VIPs was awesome, and disturbing. Also, how is this not the best party in town:

This game is full of neat little details. I move around the area for a bit I noticed increased police activity in that area, and when I came by the store again I suddenly see this:

The store was closed and it was turned into an actual crimescene. You know, because the owner got fucking killed in the back of his own store. That's some next level stuff, I've never seen that in a game before.:

This actually was already in Mafia II :
https://youtu.be/Zb_nsHJT5uc?t=7m43s

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This game is full of neat little details.

Earlier I went into this store via the back entrance to take the body armor. It had a "no colored allowed" sign in front, and as I was taking the body armor the owner walked up to me and told me to get the hell out. So I one-hit-KO'd him [well technically I killed him because apparantly Lincoln hits like a truck].

Anyway, I move around the area for a bit I noticed increased police activity in that area, and when I came by the store again I suddenly see this:

The store was closed and it was turned into an actual crimescene. You know, because the owner got fucking killed in the back of his own store. That's some next level stuff, I've never seen that in a game before.

Also stuff like this:

This informant in the French Ward turns out to be a policeman, a detective. And if you look closer at what he's actually doing inside that random abandoned warehouse:

There's no mention of this anywhere, the guy doesn't talk about it, Lincoln doesn't talk about it. It's just there as environmental storytelling. Really well done.

The French Ward district has been top-notch so far anyway, a big stepup from the previous wards. The Sex racket is exactly the sleezy, dirty stuff it should be. It also has locations based on that theme, not random warehouses or construction sites or whatever. The illegal brothel with the perverted VIPs was awesome, and disturbing. Also, how is this not the best party in town:
Holy shit the detail in this game! That crime scene thing is awesome and incredibly understated, I don't think a single interview mentioned that.

SomTervo

I almost started a "cool details you notice in Mafia 3" When I noticed this today

Tainted

Man, this game is long...already put in around 30hrs and only cleared out the bottom tier of bosses. Granted I have done a fair bit of side content and exploration.

Finished off those side quests for Vito as well,
relieved to know how the status of Joe from Mafia 2 ...although it wasn't the happiest of outcomes :(

jacobeid

Banned

I noticed that last night! Seriously, what an amazing touch of detail.

I keep wondering what this game could have been like had it had another year in the oven. Still, I'm 20 hours in and still enjoying myself quite a bit.

Tainted

We need an attention to detail thread for Mafia III man.

I second that idea...one of the first things which needs to go in there is the cop system. Its is probably the best one I have seen in an open world game tbh.

The way they search for your car actually makes sense and the way you can hide in alleys and side streets and watch as they go driving past which allows you to get out of their immediate search circle.

They dont have ESP like the cops in other games.

Adnor

Banned
Does a video exist of the ending where
Lincoln leaves and Burke runs the city?

Doubt it (endgame spoilers)
If you do Burke side-quests he tells you he has cancer and only 6 more months of life, and he ask for the cars because he want money to give to his daughter when he dies so she can finally escape New Berdaux

Alienous

Just watching the credits now.

The game was OK. I'd say about in par with Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Edit:
I'm a little peeved at the ending.
I thought I had the city in perfect equilibrium, with all of the underbosses getting an equal stake, but apparently Burke and Vito couldn't handle Cassandra. Ah well

hbkdx12

Does a video exist of the ending where
Lincoln leaves and Burke runs the city?

Doubt it (endgame spoilers)
If you do Burke side-quests he tells you he has cancer and only 6 more months of life, and he ask for the cars because he want money to give to his daughter when he dies so she can finally escape New Berdaux

Burke does have his own take over the city scene. He uses lincoln's money to go to mexico and get a liver transplant and lives another 16 years. He buys his way onto the city council and changes the name of the city to "Bourbon City". The city goes to shit as he allows booze and drugs in the city and then he goes to war with the cubans and gets gunned down

I'm at the last choice of the game right now. I'm wondering what to do now.

But the revelation just before that...it was so good!

Spoiler for a beloved character's fate:
After
Vito's
storyline where
he told us Joe was dead otherwise he would've found him by now, even though the corpse was so burnt it could've been someone else, I felt it was nice to have him mentioned at all but wasn't that satisfied.
Now comes the cutscene with Leo Galante...and the guy opening the door for Leo is goddamn Joe! So happy to know he's alive and finally it means I can close that cliffhanger thread for good.
Took a few years but
I'm satisfied with that outcome.

dealer-

Ending spoilers.

The Rule Alone ending was a clusterfuck, glad I didn't go with that. Father James placing a bomb under Lincoln's car, really? Dude needed to step back the whole game and then he ends up killing him lol then he says he did it because Lincoln killed Vito, Cassandra and Burke, which literally happened five seconds before.

Burke does have his own take over the city scene. He uses lincoln's money to go to mexico and get a liver transplant and lives another 16 years. He buys his way onto the city council and changes the name of the city to "Bourbon City". The city goes to shit as he allows booze and drugs in the city and then he goes to war with the cubans and gets gunned down

Damn so many endings, I need to watch all these on YouTube.

painey

is there an ending where you
don't kill Sal? It says "decide his fate", so I stabbed him and kicked him out the window, but I was wondering if you could just walk away

vypek

is there an ending where you
don't kill Sal? It says "decide his fate", so I stabbed him and kicked him out the window, but I was wondering if you could just walk away

I sort of want to see what happens
if you don't do any prompt. He probably just kills you with the gun on his desk

Top Bottom