• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

test_account

XP-39C²
Is it possible to see which areas that you're missing pickups in? I know when you pick up something, it says something like "1/2 collected in (area)", but is there an overview of this? I'm missing one Vargas painting, but those arent marked on the map.

EDIT: Maybe they are marked on the map, but i cant find the last one. It might be inside a buidling maybe.7

EDIT 2: Yep, it was inside a building, used a guide. There was also an album cover that didnt show up on the map for me, although that was outside (laying on a boat). Now i collected 100% of all the stuff :) I also didnt know before now that it was possible to read more in the Playboy and Hot Rod magazines, thats pretty cool.

Putty

99.999% convinced the frame pacing issue on PS4 Mafia 3 has been fixed with patch 1.03. It' feels 99.999% better.........

Edit. Pretty revelatory tbh...

Haroon

Is it worth finishing all of the optional missions? I've finished Vito's and the "ending" was a little disappointing, with no real resolution. I didn't finish the missions of his sidekick though.

Any repercussions to the ending?

The Vito mission gave a closure to the ending in Mafia 2. Spoilers for Mafia 2 ahead. Joe Barbaro's fate was never revealed. After you complete the last mission for Vito. He mentions confirms that Joe ended up dying after all. The people that you were sent out to kill were responsible for what happened to Joe.

SomTervo

Finally get to post on the Gaf after years of lurking.

I really don't get the hate for this game. :p I agree with the repetitiveness but 6 districts taken over, and I literally am taking 1-5 mins max to clear an area of interest. So winning a racket takes less than 20 minutes.

The AI sucks a fair bit, but that let's you act out massive Rambo fetishes. This was a problem I'd faced with games like Uncharted 4 and Deus EX Mankind Divided. Such a brilliant map, so many ways to get in, but it's all choked behind enemies who restrict your movement. I ended up camping in cover and taking potshots.

The slightly easier nature of Mafia 3 allows me to literally explore the map while i'm capping people. I move a lot more, flank them, hide, snipe, and basically push the combat to all possibilities on my first playthrough itself (i never replay games, except Bloodborne :p).

And literally all I need is a pistol+sniper/shotgun depending on interior/exterior. No RPG style waiting till end of the game to get super powerful.

The atmosphere, the driving (oh god so good), the gun sounds and combat feel (my TV audio sucks and it sounds brilliant, can only imagine what you Dolby guys are experiencing), brilliant missions once you've cleared a district, and general all-round bad-assery from the get go is what make this game so addictive.

I'm taking my time, 3-4 hours a day :p and work is suffering, its that much fun.

Agreed on all points, SD.

SomTervo

A word of warning to everyone. This Koopa guy messaged me this question on PSN yesterday, i didn't see the message until this morning, by which time he'd sent another message saying..

"I asked you something little cunt".

Fucking idiot.

Fucks sake.

heringer

The Vito mission gave a closure to the ending in Mafia 2. Spoilers for Mafia 2 ahead. Joe Barbaro's fate was never revealed. After you complete the last mission for Vito. He mentions confirms that Joe ended up dying after all. The people that you were sent out to kill were responsible for what happened to Joe.

There wasn't much of a closure though, because
Lincoln asks if maybe it wasn't Joe, and Vito answered "if it wasn't him he'd already have found me". So, Vito isn't completely sure Joe is actually dead. He is merely assuming because Joe hasn't made contact. If the main game doesn't have anything else to say, I'm sure they are planning a DLC about it.

Haroon

There wasn't much of a closure though, because
Lincoln asks if maybe it wasn't Joe, and Vito answered "if it wasn't him he'd already have found me". So, Vito isn't completely sure Joe is actually dead. He is merely assuming because Joe hasn't made contact. If the main game doesn't have anything else to say, I'm sure they are planning a DLC about it.

I just watched the small conversation the last guy had with his buddy at the fort, and the scene again to see what exactly was said. They are being vague about what happened to Joe. Perhaps it's on purpose. I hope they release a DLC for it, but it might be unlikely based on the reception the game has received so far. Anyways, you're right. There's a possibility that Joe is still alive. I suppose time will tell.

Rellik

A word of warning to everyone. This Koopa guy messaged me this question on PSN yesterday, i didn't see the message until this morning, by which time he'd sent another message saying..

Fucking idiot.

Thanks for letting us know. I needed to test out the ignore list feature anyway.

I really don't get the hate for this game. :p I agree with the repetitiveness but 6 districts taken over, and I literally am taking 1-5 mins max to clear an area of interest. So winning a racket takes less than 20 minutes.

The AI sucks a fair bit, but that let's you act out massive Rambo fetishes. This was a problem I'd faced with games like Uncharted 4 and Deus EX Mankind Divided. Such a brilliant map, so many ways to get in, but it's all choked behind enemies who restrict your movement. I ended up camping in cover and taking potshots.

The slightly easier nature of Mafia 3 allows me to literally explore the map while i'm capping people. I move a lot more, flank them, hide, snipe, and basically push the combat to all possibilities on my first playthrough itself (i never replay games, except Bloodborne :p).

And literally all I need is a pistol+sniper/shotgun depending on interior/exterior. No RPG style waiting till end of the game to get super powerful.

The atmosphere, the driving (oh god so good), the gun sounds and combat feel (my TV audio sucks and it sounds brilliant, can only imagine what you Dolby guys are experiencing), brilliant missions once you've cleared a district, and general all-round bad-assery from the get go is what make this game so addictive.

I'm taking my time, 3-4 hours a day :p and work is suffering, its that much fun.

Welcome to GAF.

I can see people burning themselves out by playing this game over 2 days. That's why I paced myself and pretty much enjoyed every second. The start was incredible, the capo missions were incredible, the ending was incredible, especially the (End game spoilers)
mid-credit scene with Donovan, Leo Galante and Joe
and I've always loved the little details that Mafia games provide.

LAM09

Just completed it. I enjoyed most of my time with it, but I have to agree with a few that the game should have been shorter.

Decided to leave the city. Never been a huge fan of multiple endings tbh.

Putty

Finished it. Gets a solid 8/10 from me. Solid shooting mechanics, good weight behind them, very good driving model (used sim), fair gfx though plagued with pop up but i learned to look past. The frame pacing was a touch annoying but that's now fixed with 1.03. Cut scenes we're fantastic, facial tech is sublime...acting was very good for a VG. Story missions we're good and plentiful with a number of stand out missions...So yeah, i enjoyed.

JTripper

End spoiler:
Who else thought that the dude with Leo at the end was Joe? I definitely thought it may have been him but it was so subtle a moment I have to think that it was purposefully ambiguous and the question of Joe's fate is never definitively answered.

vypek

End spoiler:
Who else thought that the dude with Leo at the end was Joe? I definitely thought it may have been him but it was so subtle a moment I have to think that it was purposefully ambiguous and the question of Joe's fate is never definitively answered.

A lot of people. Its been discussed with photos to support that idea in this thread. I'm pretty convinced.

Rellik

I wonder how well the game is selling, literally no one in my friends list is playing it.

Not sure about globally, but it's doing good here in the UK.

End spoiler:

There are pictures in this thread that pretty much prove it's him. The scar on his chin is the biggest sign.

vypek

I'm still not clear on the benefits of completing the fetch missions. Are they endless?

They increase the earn of the racket. They aren't endless. The maximum is how many rackets you have available that aren't at max income. Unfortunately, they didn't really explain this well and the icons/missions appear available even when you can no longer do the fetch missions

Basketball

Fucking idiot.

what a nice guy

Moozo

They increase the earn of the racket. They aren't endless. The maximum is how many rackets you have available that aren't at max income. Unfortunately, they didn't really explain this well and the icons/missions appear available even when you can no longer do the fetch missions

No. There's 2 each for the side characters and 5 each for your buddies if you share equally.

Thanks. If the icons still appear how do I know if I'm finished? Will it be gone from the objectives menu?

ktroopa

...The frame pacing was a touch annoying but that's now fixed with 1.03. Cut scenes we're fantastic, facial tech is sublime...acting was very good for a VG. Story missions we're good and plentiful with a number of stand out missions...So yeah, i enjoyed.

I cud not find any patch notes on v1.03 where did you see frame pacing was fixed?

Grimsen

Thanks. If the icons still appear how do I know if I'm finished? Will it be gone from the objectives menu?

I think you can still do them, but I'm not sure.

You can see how many you have done for each in the options menu, where your lieutenants are listed.

vypek

For the racket missions? When you can't do anymore they'll flash on the screen that your rackets are at max earn and you need to get more rackets claimed before you can continue. I think they stick around in the objectives menu even at that point. I believe the ones that will disappear are the ones for your associates when you complete all of them. But those are gated behind story progression so you should expect them to stay on the objectives screen for a while

dreamfall

Hit the fifty hour mark after getting all the collectibles, and this is definitely up there with my favorite games of the year. It's amazing that the combat and driving mechanics are so solid, and carry a lot of heaviness and weight. I didn't mind some of the repetition that plagued a lot of people because I paced myself really slowly, taking over the city piece by piece. Having cleared out the city and maxed rackets, I kind of miss having a ton of enemies hanging out to completely destroy.

I think the qualms with the A.I. are apparent primarily with stealth approaches, but I've had some incredible shootouts usually by accident. Getting caught in the middle of a boat stealing mission on the Bayou, with the rain pouring like crazy in the middle of a huge firefight with little visibility - the atmosphere is insane. The gunfights were phenomenal, and unlocking more options to approach each scenario made me experiment with what I liked best, not just what was most effective in wiping out enemies.

The story missions were all really neat. I won't forget the Enzo encounter anytime soon, seeing North as Duvall and destroying the Southern Union was awesome and the final missions really allowed for great spaces for combat. The presentation is unmatched - it's a shame there were so many technical issues when it launched, because I think New Bordeaux is one of the best open world cities created - the art direction is on another level.

And I loved Lincoln. His rapport with Donovan included some of the best writing of the game, and I liked how Hangar 13 were not afraid to portray him as a man seeking vengeance by any means.

The game was awesome for me, the ending was icing on the cake. I'd like to replay it again to mop up the achievements with the racket bosses, but also just to enjoy the thrill of the combat again. I hope the DLCs are almost exclusively narrative based and have amazing set piece missions that flow well.

Bravo Hangar 13. Many will see this as a failed game, too repetitious with a ton of busy work, but the team created some of the best combat in the genre, with an amazing story/presentation/protagonist that we won't see again for a long time.

Coming up on 30 hours and almost have the city under my thumb.

Question, are there any redeeming qualities to Burke? The guy is racist and condescending to my face all the time but, worse, he just seems like a giant drunk screw-up whose actual operation is managed by his daughter.

Why is this guy my underboss again? Looking forward to him and Lincoln falling out completely.

Question, are there any redeeming qualities to Burke? The guy is racist and condescending to my face all the time but, worse, he just seems like a giant drunk screw-up whose actual operation is managed by his daughter.

Why is this guy my underboss again? Looking forward to him and Lincoln falling out completely.

Same. I haven't given Burke jack shit since I first rescued him, nor do I plan to. I think most of his perks/upgrades suck anyways, so if he turns on me and I get to put him out of his misery I'll be more than happy to oblige. :)

dreamfall

I figure maybe redeeming qualities for his personality are out of the question. As you learn more about him after completing his side quest, it's apparent that his racist, small minded, confrontational nature is attributed to his own failures to take care of himself.

As for in-game, he offers the best markers to clear the police, steal cars surreptitiously without alerting anyone, giving the best machine gun in the game, etc. He's good to have around, and has some major respect for your other underbosses, even if he'll never admit it to any of them.

I think Hangar 13 did a good job of making it actively difficult to not want to kill the guy, by offering some great abilities through his progression. At least Nicki is great!

Briarios

Let me describe the last 30 minutes of me with this game:

I begin a mission -- open the door to the facility and the game crashes. Reload. Start again, finish the racket. On the way out, I look for a collectible, so I hop a wall only to find out that it's a dead end and I CANNOT reclimb the wall from the inside. Reload game, again. I start over, while driving to my next mission, the game crashes. Reload again.

This is after numerous graphical glitches yesterday, a total uninstall, a reinstall that took almost an hour (!), and more crashes.

Sure, the setting and characters are great -- but there is also a ton to hate about this game. If I can't freaking play it without it crashing, it could be the greatest game ever -- but, to me, it sucks. I know some people aren't having this problem, but a ton of us are. It actually seems worse after the last patch.

Apples_89

I've reached somewhat of a crossroad in the game which I could use some advice on.

There appears to be one district left for me to take over (something harbour), aside from the area at the top of the map.Currently I have assigned all districts to Vito. Originally I was planning to go the route where I kill all my lieutenants except one, however I now have all my all the available perks for Vito and it seems like a waste to keep pouring resources to him with no apparent tangible benefit. In the last meeting, Cassandra has given me an ultimatum to throw something her way or she'll leave me, and Burke seems pretty pissed as well. My question is this: if I keep giving everything to Vito will they both turn on me? I want to get either the trophy where they are all alive or only one remains. Have a reached the point of no return with Vito? The last thing I want is to give the harbour district to Cassandra and have Burke leave and force me to kill him which would leave me with neither trophy. Also, as a side note, is they a clear "better" ending?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

heringer

Finished! Happy with my ending.

Great game. Shame about the repetition and technical issues. Still liked very much.

I would rank the Mafia stories like this:

1 > 3 >>>>>> 2

hbkdx12

If you complete all his favors, there's a bit of a softer side to him that almost explains why he's such an ornery old prick. Almost. But as far as his character in general, he's a big fuck up but you can tell that he's the type of person thats very loyal once you earn his respect.

Same. I haven't given Burke jack shit since I first rescued him, nor do I plan to. I think most of his perks/upgrades suck anyways, so if he turns on me and I get to put him out of his misery I'll be more than happy to oblige. :)
A lot of his perks are pretty integral in my opinion. I'm on my second playthrough and im gunning for a certain trophy and i basically need to choose who i find more valuable between him and vito. Vito gets the edge because your health and stamina upgrades come through him. However, Burke has a lot of good perks

-calling off the cops is pretty invaluable
-He's the one that lets you carry grenades and explosives
-He has access to the best machine gun in the game. It may be the best gun in the game period.

I think the game does a good job of making you feel each underboss is important based on the upgrades and perks they each possess. I'd rank cassandra as being the most expendable but even then she has a lot of weapon related upgrades that are really good like better accuracy and ammo count.

I've reached somewhat of a crossroad in the game which I could use some advice on.

There appears to be one district left for me to take over (something harbour), aside from the area at the top of the map.Currently I have assigned all districts to Vito. Originally I was planning to go the route where I kill all my lieutenants except one, however I now have all my all the available perks for Vito and it seems like a waste to keep pouring resources to him with no apparent tangible benefit. In the last meeting, Cassandra has given me an ultimatum to throw something her way or she'll leave me, and Burke seems pretty pissed as well. My question is this: if I keep giving everything to Vito will they both turn on me? I want to get either the trophy where they are all alive or only one remains. Have a reached the point of no return with Vito? The last thing I want is to give the harbour district to Cassandra and have Burke leave and force me to kill him which would leave me with neither trophy. Also, as a side note, is they a clear "better" ending?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
If you still have tickfaw harbor to complete then that means you should also have southdowns to complete as well because it doesn't open up until you take over tickfaw but yes, if you keep giving everything to vito they'll both turn on you in which case you'd still get the "keep only one underboss alive" trophy. If you're specifically attempting to trophy hunt then it's in your best interest to kill burke given that cassandra has already left because then if you don't then you won't get either trophy.

IMO, there isn't a "better" ending depending on which or how many underbosses you keep alive

Does anyone have a link to a video that shows garbage barges? I can't find one anywhere.
IIRC, The barges are green and white barrels floating on palettes. They're on your radar with a green downward triangle.

gdt

All of these lieutenant missions are glitching out. I'll pick up the truck and it won't update the objective. I get out the truck and it disappears. Go back to the last place there's nothing there. Same thing happened with the weed boat missions. These side missions are glitchy as fuck.

Tainted

So I finished the main story last night and
went with the neutral ending by staying in New Bordeaux and ruling together with my underbosses. After the unskippable credits, I was able to play on and get the rest of the collectables. Am I to assume you can't play on if you chose the leave the city ending...or do you get to play as one of the other characters ?

I'll also watch the
other 4 endings on YT
, I have no desire to play this game ever again lol

hbkdx12

So I finished the main story last night and
went with the neutral ending by staying in New Bordeaux and ruling together with my underbosses. After the unskippable credits, I was able to play on and get the rest of the collectables. Am I to assume you can't play on if you chose the leave the city ending...or do you get to play as one of the other characters ?

I'll also watch the
other 4 endings on YT
, I have no desire to play this game ever again lol
I did the same as you but others have said
the other ending drops you back to the main menu

Tainted

I did the same as you but others have said
the other ending drops you back to the main menu

I was dropped back to the main menu as well....but when I hit continue, I jsut spawned out the front of the mansion. So the continue option isnt available if
you leave the city
?

Cheever

Is there any strong interest in how New Bordeaux came to be? Or are people focused on the game story?

(public world scales)
zAeaKvQ.jpg

Without any spoilers, is there a point at which I can assign the Bayou to a under boss? I haven't gotten a mission their yet for it, but it seems weird if it's not an actual district.

SubbieD

Hit the fifty hour mark after getting all the collectibles, and this is definitely up there with my favorite games of the year. It's amazing that the combat and driving mechanics are so solid, and carry a lot of heaviness and weight. I didn't mind some of the repetition that plagued a lot of people because I paced myself really slowly, taking over the city piece by piece. Having cleared out the city and maxed rackets, I kind of miss having a ton of enemies hanging out to completely destroy.

I think the qualms with the A.I. are apparent primarily with stealth approaches, but I've had some incredible shootouts usually by accident. Getting caught in the middle of a boat stealing mission on the Bayou, with the rain pouring like crazy in the middle of a huge firefight with little visibility - the atmosphere is insane. The gunfights were phenomenal, and unlocking more options to approach each scenario made me experiment with what I liked best, not just what was most effective in wiping out enemies.

The story missions were all really neat. I won't forget the Enzo encounter anytime soon, seeing North as Duvall and destroying the Southern Union was awesome and the final missions really allowed for great spaces for combat. The presentation is unmatched - it's a shame there were so many technical issues when it launched, because I think New Bordeaux is one of the best open world cities created - the art direction is on another level.

And I loved Lincoln. His rapport with Donovan included some of the best writing of the game, and I liked how Hangar 13 were not afraid to portray him as a man seeking vengeance by any means.

The game was awesome for me, the ending was icing on the cake. I'd like to replay it again to mop up the achievements with the racket bosses, but also just to enjoy the thrill of the combat again. I hope the DLCs are almost exclusively narrative based and have amazing set piece missions that flow well.

Bravo Hangar 13. Many will see this as a failed game, too repetitious with a ton of busy work, but the team created some of the best combat in the genre, with an amazing story/presentation/protagonist that we won't see again for a long time.

Hot damn that Enzo mission, I normally run a sniper and never need ammo, obviously ran out here. Had to literally run the whole damn area to not be killed, switching weapons, cover spots, flanking. It was sublime.

And I'm in love with New Bordeaux too, such a beautifully crafted city. I just get so happy driving through a new lane or road, the attention to detail, it's just brilliant.

SubbieD

Let me describe the last 30 minutes of me with this game:

I begin a mission -- open the door to the facility and the game crashes. Reload. Start again, finish the racket. On the way out, I look for a collectible, so I hop a wall only to find out that it's a dead end and I CANNOT reclimb the wall from the inside. Reload game, again. I start over, while driving to my next mission, the game crashes. Reload again.

This is after numerous graphical glitches yesterday, a total uninstall, a reinstall that took almost an hour (!), and more crashes.

Sure, the setting and characters are great -- but there is also a ton to hate about this game. If I can't freaking play it without it crashing, it could be the greatest game ever -- but, to me, it sucks. I know some people aren't having this problem, but a ton of us are. It actually seems worse after the last patch.

That really sucks ass. Been lucky to get a bug-free PS4 time with it. And now with the new match, it's got way smoother.

Top Bottom