• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

they're selling a season pass. it's coming

well, so's christmas! problem is, this game's no uncharted 4 - if content/patches are delayed much longer, is there gonna be anyone left who actually cares? :) ...

the post-release stuff's been handled pretty poorly, which's a shame. because the game deserved better...

Tainted

Picking this up today, loved the first two and this seems like a good leap,pretty excited

People have asked me at work whether this game is worth picking up, I tell them yes...but not at the moment. I don't think the game is worth it if you are paying full price but it is good enough to pick up for cheap in a sale.

The game is just way too repetitive/grindey..there are so many better games out at the moment to spend your money on. There was so much wasted potential in M3.

I managed to pick the deluxe edition for cheap on a preorder, so I am hoping the DLC is good at least.

well, so's christmas! problem is, this game's no uncharted 4 - if content/patches are delayed much longer, is there gonna be anyone left who actually cares? :) ...

the post-release stuff's been handled pretty poorly, which's a shame. because the game deserved better...
idk how quickly you expect season pass content to come out, but it's not going to be this quickly

the game hasn't even been out for a month

kapowza

So I got the supercharger vehicle upgrade and now the Deleo Traviata (aka the fastest car) sounds like tinnitus from hell. Is there a way to cease this nonsense? I seriously can't use that car any more.
On a related sidenote, why does the Berkley Stallion sound like farts?

christ I'm so happy you mentioned this, I thought my real hearing issues had got much worse. I guess if I kick the irish guy out of his district that upgrade will go away.

I'm sad this game turned out as it did. I so wanted it to be good, because of how great Mafia II was.

I have the season pass, but almost just wish I could delete the game and not bother, but that'd be a waste.

idk how quickly you expect season pass content to come out, but it's not going to be this quickly

the game hasn't even been out for a month

Yeah the season pass DLC is obviously not a rapid fire thing. They're story expansions. Takes time for that stuff to come together assuming they'll have the same production values as the big story missions in the base game.

On the other hand, I do think the weeks directly after release before Watch Dogs 2 hits were pretty important, especially because the overall response wasn't exactly glowing. A little more information on what's happening would go a long way.

Cheever

this. getting a bad feeling that this game's over. reminds me of mad max from last year in this way, as well: a sleeper, but with no follow-through whatsoever :( ...

Baking a cake takes time. Pulling it out of the oven before it's done will only give you something gooey that can't hold the colorful frosting.

Yeah the season pass DLC is obviously not a rapid fire thing. They're story expansions. Takes time for that stuff to come together assuming they'll have the same production values as the big story missions in the base game.

On the other hand, I do think the weeks directly after release before Watch Dogs 2 hits were pretty important, especially because the overall response wasn't exactly glowing. A little more information on what's happening would go a long way.
Yeah, that's true

I also wish they'd give a timeline for the Lincoln Customisation, Race side missions, and extra car customisation

this is the first open world game where i've really wanted races because the car handling is just so good

AHK_Hero

Not sure if old news, but this Washington Post article covered 2KGames' earnings report today.

The Washington Post said:
The risk paid off: 2K Games, which reports earnings Wednesday, confirmed that “Mafia III” is now the fastest-selling title in the publisher's history — overtaking other franchise juggernauts such as “NBA 2K,” “Borderlands” and “BioShock.” The game sold 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.

I remember hearing some rumors about disappointing sales but it looks like it worked out quite well for them. I still haven't played it yet, but I respect that they took some risks with this one even if there were some missteps.

EDIT: Oh looks like someone made a thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1306059

Shaanyboi

Banned
Tips for how you distribute rackets among your crew? Should you give a whole district to a single person, or does it not matter? Can you change that up as you go along?

derFeef

I started yesterday and played up until the
betrayal
. What a moment! Very well done. The story work is the highlight of this game. I just wish it would look better and run better on PC. Graphic wise it looks really bad at times.

SJRB

Gold Member
Tips for how you distribute rackets among your crew? Should you give a whole district to a single person, or does it not matter? Can you change that up as you go along?

Each district has two rackets. You can give any racket to any boss, but when you take the district you have to appoint the entire district [and thus the two rackets] to one of the bosses.

So let's say for example that you have district A and give Racket A to Vito and Racket B to Burke. You take down the district boss and then you assign the entire district to Cassandra. Racket A and Racket B are then also auto-assigned to Cassandra because she owns the district. This cannot be changed at random, so once you've assigned a district it is locked down.

Be warned that by doing so, you'll lose any perks you got for assigning the rackets to Vito and Burke. And they'll get angry because you took their rackets away.

The easy balancing is just to give every boss 3 districts and not fuck around too much by taking away their rackets.

Dmax3901

Game is growing on me I have to admit it. I've got the super fast hot rod car and a bit more health so I've really gotten the rhythm of repetition down pat.

Are any of the optional missions for the characters worth doing? The ones that are labelled 'optional' but are for Vito, or the priest etc.

xrnzaaas

I started yesterday and played up until the
betrayal
. What a moment! Very well done. The story work is the highlight of this game. I just wish it would look better and run better on PC. Graphic wise it looks really bad at times.

Congrats, you've just beat the best part of the game. ;)

Game is growing on me I have to admit it. I've got the super fast hot rod car and a bit more health so I've really gotten the rhythm of repetition down pat.

Are any of the optional missions for the characters worth doing? The ones that are labelled 'optional' but are for Vito, or the priest etc.

If you played Mafia 2 and finished it than I would recommend Vito's side missions, it will pay of at the end of the main story.

Congrats, you've just beat the best part of the game. ;)

Hunting down
Klansmen at the Southern Union burning cross rally
before nailing that
piece of shit to the cross and setting him on fire
was easily the high point. Everything after that paled in comparison.
What is in the patch?

Mr. Tibbs

Outfits are out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCz2Vj-4PA

UPDATE: PATCH NOTES

The dev team has also been hard at work addressing your feedback since the game launched on October 7. We’re happy to report that we’ve made a number of improvements on PC included in this patch. But we’re also not done improving the game, and will be making more updates to Mafia III in the future.

These updates include:

UI Improvements
Improved car reflections
Improved streaming issues
Performance optimization
Fixed audio issues
Fixed some cases of savegame corruption
Fixed various issues for Cassandra’s Contraband missions
And more

The work continues for the dev team as we still have more free content on the way – races and car customization! – and more updates for Mafia III. So keep an eye on our social channels for updates. And, most importantly, keep sharing your experiences with us. We want your stay in New Bordeaux to be an enjoyable one.

Thanks again from the whole Mafia III team!

The dev team has also been hard at work addressing your feedback since the game launched on October 7. We’re happy to report that we’ve made a number of improvements on PC included in this patch. But we’re also not done improving the game, and will be making more updates to Mafia III in the future.

These updates include:

UI Improvements
Improved car reflections
Performance optimization
Fixed audio issues
And more

The work continues for the dev team as we still have more free content on the way – races and car customization! – and more updates for Mafia III. So keep an eye on our social channels for updates. And, most importantly, keep sharing your experiences with us. We want your stay in New Bordeaux to be an enjoyable one.

dex3108

Mafia 3 patch notes are laughable

These updates include:

UI Improvements
Improved car reflections
Performance optimization
Fixed audio issues
And more

It took them month for that.

These updates include:

UI Improvements
Improved car reflections
Performance optimization
Fixed audio issues
And more

but no fast-travel? smh...

dex3108

Hangar 13 asks PC players what they want to see in Mafia 3 update, releases update without any additional PC things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IvanJ

Banned
I am about halfway done with the game (liberated 5 districts so far), and I am really enjoying it for what it is... I never went into this game thinking it will be a masterpiece of GTA or even Sleeping Dogs scale, so I couldn't get disappointed.

It helps that I am a sucker for these "Ubi-style" open world games (climb tower, reveal map, do side missions, collect tons of crap, move to next tower). I especially derive a lot of enjoyment from tracking down magazines an other collectibles (they are useless game-wise, but at least you can "read" them). So on that front, the game satisfies me a lot, hacking Junction boxes etc.
I also really like the story, one of the very few open world games that managed to put forward a decent narrative, and I like the way they did it with programmed retrospection cutscenes.

But I need to point a couple of huge flaws that bring this game down for me:
1. AI - it is worthless. And thus makes game a lot more boring. It's just whistle, wait, kill, next one, next one, until there is a neat little pile of enemies at my feet.

2. And a much bigger problem is what I call "AC3 economics". Just as in Assassin's Creed 3 (which I hated thoroughly, but also because of this problem), money is worthless, as well as any upgrade system that requires money. With just a little patience and paying attention, you can clear the entire game with starting, non-upgraded weapons. All I use is the knife (see 1.) and whatever guns enemies drop. They are all plenty enough to take care of business (in AC3, I finished the game with only a hidden blade and a starting tomahawk). So, no reason to even bother upgrading weapons, I never even called the weapons guy.
That then brings about the pointlessness of the entire side-mission racket business. Who cares if my racket brings me 30 or 40 K, I'm never spending it anyway. So I don't even collect any money from anywhere, and still I have about 75K in my safe unspent. I have not spent a single dollar on anything in my 5 districts so far.

So, I started skipping optional missions. They are repetitive and tedious, just basically a ton of driving. I just keep going: 2 rackets - Boss - collect crap - next district.

All in all, I am satisfied, 7.5/10 easily from me.

Hangar 13 asks PC players what they want to see in Mafia 3 update, releases update without any additional PC things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Uh...fixing 21:9 is one very exclusive PC thing and has been asked for from day 1. You people are so hard to please, what exactly do you even want?

Finished.

Collected all the Playboys, Album Covers, Vargas paintings (really liked those) and the other collectibles.

Went with the Good ending (apparently), Holy fuck at the mid credits scene.

Dmax3901

Finished.

Collected all the Playboys, Album Covers, Vargas paintings (really liked those) and the other collectibles.

Went with the Good ending (apparently), Holy fuck at the mid credits scene.

image.php

Glad the patch addressed the crazy sky and crashing, my 2 biggest issues. Much more stable and consistent experience now.

Can't emphasize enough how crispy the core combat is in this game.

zRILR2y.gif

And whatever mix of canned + contextual + ragdoll this game uses for the death animations is fantastic. You notice some repetition, particularly when you land multiple headshots in a row, but most of the time it comes together really well, and can be uncomfortably prolonged (or hilarious)

Hkq7wFZ.gif

psychotron

I could be wrong but since the patch, Lincoln controls a bit heavier than before. I'm having some difficulty when breaking away from cover that I didn't have before. It seems like if he enters cover where he needs to crouch, when I try to pull him away from it he doesn't want to free up, and if he does there's a lag. It could just be me but I've put in many hours and never felt this way.

Top Bottom