• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
OMG, the post-credits scene SPOILER
suddenly we're talking about JFK conspiracies now! Donovan was playing 4th dimensional chess all along! It was amazing.

I really hope Hangar 13 gets to do another game, because damn, they know how to do presentation and story. That was pretty good.

Vinc

It upgrades the entire game, higher resolution, better character models, lighting, and draw distance. It actually received one of the biggest upgrades.

It actually looks pretty good now. The game looks pretty bad on OG PS4, though I'm not sure if it was upgraded there too since the patch.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, Hangar 13 guys? If you guys meant to say Colombia as in the country (I supposed due to the context), it's with an 'O', k, thanks, bye.

Manuxs

Neo Member
It actually looks pretty good now. The game looks pretty bad on OG PS4, though I'm not sure if it was upgraded there too since the patch.

Excuse me, but where did you see the latest patch upgraded the game for PS4 pro ? When you look at the update history, it just says this patch fixed some bugs.
As far as I know, there still hasn't been a patch for PS4 pro for mafia 3.

derFeef

The longer I play it, the more I notice that there is something wrong with the scale of the city. Everything looks so small and flat, not sure exactly what it is. It's a very "dead" look. If you compare it to Mafia II at least. Man that was a great city and felt like a "place" where as in this it's just random geometry somehow :(

sertopico

To me it's quite the opposite, apart from the industrial district every district feels unique and hand crafted, not a mere copy and paste of the same building but, I realize it could be a matter of taste.

According to the update history of mafia 3 (you can see it on the icon of the game), there still hasn't been a patch for PS4 pro, no.

I must have put 15 hours into this on a standard PS4 and the Pro version is definitely a lot better or I must be going insane. In fact it is one of the most improved games I've tested.

Game is fun

Tedious at times but the gunplay and story keep me going

I really really really wish there was a first person mode like GTA

psychotron

Approaching the final story mission now, and I love how they....

Changed the music on the radio to modern versions of songs from the time period.

I completely get the repetition complaints, but this game has been great. You may do similar things, but the game world changes with each of them. The radio shows change, the NPC's discuss what you've done, and their conversations change depending on where you are on the map. It's just fantastic attention to detail.

Grimsen

Changed the music on the radio to modern versions of songs from the time period.

Wait, they did this for many?
The only song where I thought it was a recent version was Elvis' song.

SJRB

Gold Member

This was so absolutely random. I was driving to the destination and it took a bit before I realised I was
listening to some bizarre punk-rock version of Paint of Black. Flicked the channels but there were modern versions of songs everywhere.

I still don't understand why this was a thing. It was cool though. The game is filled with a lot of nice little touches and details, it's very obvious a lot of love and care went into making this game. It's unfortunate that most of it is bogged down by the mission structure.

I completely get the repetition complaints, but this game has been great. You may do similar things, but the game world changes with each of them. The radio shows change, the NPC's discuss what you've done, and their conversations change depending on where you are on the map. It's just fantastic attention to detail.

There's a lot of ambient + underboss dialogue, and at least 3 small subplots ("When The Holler Speaks" radio broadcast, the white radio show, and the major court case) running in parallel and responding to Lincoln's warpath. All of it is really interesting to listen to, but I'm not sure how many people actually explored or had the patience to pay attention to it, especially when the racket missions start losing their luster.

Bluecondor

To me it's quite the opposite, apart from the industrial district every district feels unique and hand crafted, not a mere copy and paste of the same building but, I realize it could be a matter of taste.

I completely agree.

The design of the neighborhoods is really impressive. Not only does each neighborhood have distinct architecture, but the neighborhoods fit with the racial and economic class differences represented in the game.

Bluecondor

There's a lot of ambient + underboss dialogue, and at least 3 small subplots ("When The Holler Speaks" radio broadcast, the white radio show, and the major court case) running in parallel and responding to Lincoln's warpath. All of it is really interesting to listen to, but I'm not sure how many people actually explored or had the patience to pay attention to it, especially when the racket missions start losing their luster.

The news briefs and commentary between the Holler Speaks and Native Son shows is really groundbreaking for a game. You can see the amazing amount of research that went into the game, as you hear a wide range of actual news stories from specific days in 1968. I am really taking my time with this game, as I enjoy listening to every story and show on the radio as I play.

dreamfall

I hope some Fan Wiki writes up and transcribes the entirety of the "The Hollow Speaks" - I listened after every major mission and the progression and social issues presented in that segment alone were incredible, up to the wild conclusion. Such strong writing, and amazing attention to detail.

I love this game. I hope the DLC comes soon, or I might just replay it.

LowRoller

So
I killed the assassin they sent after me
and I can't progress anymore, like there are no story missions available . Anyone run into this problem?

DPtheGod

Hey guys,on my PS4 Pro my Mafia 3 is still ver 1.04 and says it's the newest version available. Is this the patched for Pro version?

peakish

So
I killed the assassin they sent after me
and I can't progress anymore, like there are no story missions available . Anyone run into this problem?
I got something like this once, was fixed when I rebooted the game. Hope it's not permanent for you.

I completely agree.

The design of the neighborhoods is really impressive. Not only does each neighborhood have distinct architecture, but the neighborhoods fit with the racial and economic class differences represented in the game.

Yeah it's pretty impressive. It's just a shame that the NPC just walk around GTA 3 style without really doing anything. But the architecture is very well thought.

Akai__

This game guys. This fucking game... So many glitches, that it's not even funny anymore.

My last 2 glitches that just happened like 10 minutes ago:

- I was asked to steal a truck loaded with weapons and when I arrived it actually wasn't a truck, but a normal car with 3 crates on top of it. Only problem was that these crates were floating in the air and clipping through the car and my face, when I entered it.
- After taking down
Santangelo, him and his hit-squad
spawned an other 2 times right in front of me. Both duplicates of that character were in a downed state and couldn't be killed.

I couldn't record these clips, because I once again had to disable GameDVR, because you still can't disable stupid auto-recording in other games and it was driving me nuts.

Bonus clips:

- Car spawning inside my car.
- Car deciding to float in the air.

---

Anyways, I'm enjoying the story and the gameplay also significantly improved once I got the silenced Pistol. Just wished this game was given some more time, before it shipped.

canedaddy

OK, I'm a few hours into this game and I just ran into a problem. I got into a boat and sped up the canal, then pulled up to a dock and got out from behind the wheel... and couldn't get out of the boat. I couldn't figure out any way to make Lincoln jump or climb over the side of the boat.

Am I missing something, or is this a really dumb design flaw?

OK, I'm a few hours into this game and I just ran into a problem. I got into a boat and sped up the canal, then pulled up to a dock and got out from behind the wheel... and couldn't get out of the boat. I couldn't figure out any way to make Lincoln jump or climb over the side of the boat.

Am I missing something, or is this a really dumb design flaw?
Well, there are issues with climbing etc. I was in the water and swam to what looked like a perfectly good bit of ground but I couldn't get out. I think it's Y on the Xbox controller. Anyway, moved a few feet to the left and I could get out. Also fell into one of the walled canals and couldn't see a ladder or anyway out at all. Reloaded a checkpoint.
So yeah, there are plenty of flaws in the game; design, graphics, gameplay. But I still play it.

black070

Hey guys,on my PS4 Pro my Mafia 3 is still ver 1.04 and says it's the newest version available. Is this the patched for Pro version?

I'm pretty sure like many of the recent games e.g. Skyrim, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Dishonored 2 etc - the Pro support was already on the disc. It's had its enhancements available since day one, and they are very noticeable.

I'm pretty sure like many of the recent games e.g. Skyrim, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Dishonored 2 etc - the Pro support was already on the disc. It's had its enhancements available since day one, and they are very noticeable.

What does improve in the Pro version? Two of the biggest negatives from a graphical stand point were the frame rate in the bayou and the draw in.

psychotron

Definitely wasn't on the disc. I got a new Pro last night and while waiting for the patch to download, I started playing without it. There was aliasing all over the place, the frame pacing was shit, the textures didn't look very good either in the city areas. Patch finished, I reloaded the game and it was a brand new experience. Have I mentioned how much I love the game? I may replay the entire damn thing, this time killing every racket boss for the trophy.

BFIB

Beat the game last night. The repetitive parts did drag, but the story made up for it. Some great storytelling and the gunplay was some of the best I've played in an open world.

black070

Definitely wasn't on the disc. I got a new Pro last night and while waiting for the patch to download, I started playing without it. There was aliasing all over the place, the frame pacing was shit, the textures didn't look very good either in the city areas. Patch finished, I reloaded the game and it was a brand new experience. Have I mentioned how much I love the game? I may replay the entire damn thing, this time killing every racket boss for the trophy.

Sweet, thanks for clarifying - I thought it may explain the confusion amidst no patch notes detailing it, but eitherway, the point is it is there.

canedaddy

Well, there are issues with climbing etc. I was in the water and swam to what looked like a perfectly good bit of ground but I couldn't get out. I think it's Y on the Xbox controller. Anyway, moved a few feet to the left and I could get out. Also fell into one of the walled canals and couldn't see a ladder or anyway out at all. Reloaded a checkpoint.
So yeah, there are plenty of flaws in the game; design, graphics, gameplay. But I still play it.
Not being able to climb out of the water in some spots isn't that unusual for an open world game.

Not being able to get out of a boat, though...

Just picked it back up after putting it down for a while.

I've got all 3 bosses, & just had the meeting about Marcano & working together.

Is there an optimal way to assign future districts, so I don't end up with them going off at each other?

Also, I'd forgotten how bad cars handle. How cumbersome the cover mechanic is, & how much driving there is... & I'm really, really, over the fetch quests.
In the few hours I've played since picking it back up I've had 3 crashes, & 2 incidences of the camera getting stuck on something.

Akai__

Finished the game. God damn that ending was freaking amazing. Very good story telling.

Question for a potential 2nd playthrough, since I want to change things a little. Does anyhting carry over? Like collected Magazines, Fuzes or anything else? Or does it just delete your savefile and you start from 0?

Is there an optimal way to assign future districts, so I don't end up with them going off at each other?

All you really need to do is taking down the Rackets in the District and Assign them to the same person that will run the District. I have always done an even distribution of Districts and never had a problem. Just do 1/1/1 Districts, then 2/2/2 and finally 3/3/3 on District distribution and you are safe.

---

Getting trolled so hard, by this game:
rPDN5Xr.gif
Full clip: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AkaiGAF/video/23787991

Mr. Tibbs

VentureBeat: Mafia III Postmortem

When the game came out in October, players complained about bugs and problems with gameplay. But they loved the story about Lincoln Clay, a mixed-race Vietnam veteran who goes after the Italian mob in a fictional version of New Orleans in 1968, during the height of racial and war tensions in the United States. I played the game all the way through, and had mixed emotions about the execution. The story was powerful and unflinching in its depiction of racism in the Deep South, but it was hard to like many aspects of the gameplay. I caught up with the team’s leaders for a postmortem.

Mafia III’s creators are proud of what they accomplished, which some have described as a cultural milestone for games. But they acknowledge they hit both limits and trade-offs as they brought their game to the finish line. I caught up with Blackman, studio head and creative director at Hangar 13, and Bill Harms, lead writer on Mafia III, for a conversation about working on such an epic project.

GamesBeat: One question on the engine. It seems like you might have had access to technology from other 2K games like Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto. Were those considerations?

Blackman: From the outset we knew we wanted to evolve the technology that had been used in Mafia II. That was our foundation. We didn’t really discuss using anything else. For me personally, I feel more comfortable using proprietary tech that we own and control. We’re not trying to shoehorn our vision into existing tech. We knew we had a foundation to build from, at least, in Mafia II.

Next time just use the RAGE engine m'kay?

Ted

Finished up on Wednesday night.

Great game. Really enjoyed it. I can totally get the repetition issue people have but for me, with regular but relatively short opportunities to play, the game felt designed around me. I could hop on for an hour, do some stuff and feel some genuine progress that ultimately culminated in a pretty good ending. Even some of the side mission stuff that was kind of rote still felt like it had a pay-off, particularly the Vito missions. Damn,
poor Joe Barbaro

The game made me think more times than most TPS' have done and their portrayal of the era is pretty effective in highlighting not just the overt name calling and hate but also the institutionalised and all-encompassing undercurrent of racial tension from the period.

And the end, at least the post credits scene, what a trip that was. Donovan is either fucking crazy or a total bad-ass. I haven't quite decided which!

I recruited all the underbosses and racket leaders and kept all of my criminal colleagues alive (they each got two districts) so at some point I will do another play through and kill all the underlings and give everything to Cassandra or Vito or Burke (probably not Burke) to see what that is like. I don't want to spoil the feeling from my first play through though by jumping straight back in so I'll give it some time.

Thanks 2K and all involved. Loved it.

started the game recently on PSpro. really enjoying it after kind of a slow start but one thing that's bugging me is the cars. Are they supposed to look like absolute shit? it looks like the bumpers are ultra blurry/low res, and the "reflections" (if you want to call them that) look fucking terrible.

its weird because the game ON FOOT (especially at night) can look really good at times but then while driving the cars just look awful. is this normal?

Akai__

Question for a potential 2nd playthrough, since I want to change things a little. Does anyhting carry over? Like collected Magazines, Fuzes or anything else? Or does it just delete your savefile and you start from 0?

Anyone?

Top Bottom