• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

Babalu.

so when the computer/player puts out a couple fog walls, how the hell are you suppose to get rid of/past them/kill them?

ultron87

Infinite turns may be cool, but putting Rite of Replication into a Panoptic Mirror is the best thing. 5 mana during your upkeep to get five copies every turn.

Somewhat relatedly, I got my most damage in a turn up to 476 with 83 creatures in play.

I tried Jace and Yeva's deck. I don't know what Yeva is trying to do with hers. Jace mill is just not a good strategy. He's not enough control. He doesn't have board sweepers to stall. Most of the time, I'm just taking a lot of damage while milling them. Oldric deck looks like fun. A bunch of white weenies coming at you.

Shai-Tan

Banned
so when the computer/player puts out a couple fog walls, how the hell are you suppose to get rid of/past them/kill them?

they can be damaged out of combat, killed with removal spells, bypassed with direct damage to the player (via spells/abilities), attack with more creatures (numerical superiority), creature with trample, equipment that grants trample, creatures that can't be blocked, etc

SupaNaab

I don't know much about Magic. I guess I buy these games every year because of my nostalgia for the TCGs I grew up with. I'm on the middle difficulty setting but I am absolutely stomping everything with white deck (Peacekeepers?). I really enjoy the overwhelm your opponent with monsters playstyle the deck offers. There are definitely some rules in the Magic TCG that are best explained by playing but none of my problems with this game are related to the TCG itself. This game has it's shortcomings but the TCG itself must be fucking great.

I don't know much about Magic. I guess I buy these games every year because of my nostalgia for the TCGs I grew up with. I'm on the middle difficulty setting but I am absolutely stomping everything with white deck (Peacekeepers?). I really enjoy the overwhelm your opponent with monsters playstyle the deck offers. There are definitely some rules in the Magic TCG that are best explained by playing but none of my problems with this game are related to the TCG itself. This game has it's shortcomings but the TCG itself must be fucking great.

The TCG is the best way to get all your money taken.

=(

BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD

bunbun777

Primal Surge is sooooooo good. Yea it's 10 mana but oh the rush. Also panoptic mirror plus time warp is fun fun.

edit, fog walls-- trample will not help since combat damage is nullified. I have about 60 cards left to unlock and have been using the howling mines encounter, pretty quick and you get so many cards, choices, just plan ahead for mana leaks. hawks and pyromancers were just too boring for me.

Maybe someone more well versed in real life Magic can help me out here. What's the point of cards like Goblin Piker? It's three mana for a 2/1 guy that doesn't do anything. For three mana I can play Arms Dealer, Chieftain, Warchief, or Squee.

Every deck has cards like this but what's the point? No one is ever going to play any of these junk cards over guys that actually do something useful so why are they even made?

Ooccoo

Maybe someone more well versed in real life Magic can help me out here. What's the point of cards like Goblin Piker? It's three mana for a 2/1 guy that doesn't do anything. For three mana I can play Arms Dealer, Chieftain, Warchief, or Squee.

Every deck has cards like this but what's the point? No one is ever going to play any of these junk cards over guys that actually do something useful so why are they even made?

First of all, this card is only good in limited, where a 2/1 for 2 mana is good. Also, he's from one of the most supported tribes in MTG (goblins) so he can attack for more with a lord or be sacrificed with stuff like Goblin Grenade. These decks have such cards so players learn to play with "bad" cards and learn to appreciate it. Then you discover stuff like Goblin Guide and Goblin Piledriver and go "oooh" :p

Oh yeah you're right he is only 2. Still it seems like a waste to put him into the game when he's instantly gonna get taken out of the deck.

Oh yeah you're right he is only 2. Still it seems like a waste to put him into the game when he's instantly gonna get taken out of the deck.
All ten decks are filled with cards that aren't good enough to see competitive play. Recognizing which ones are bad and why is an important part of learning the game.

coopolon

So wanting a bit more deck customization options I started looking to see what else was out there and discovered Wagic. Now I've done nothing but play Wagic in my free time and haven't touched DoTP in the 3 days since. Kind of wish I'd just played Wagic and not bought DoTP 13 at all.

Others may have reported this already, but I've hit two bugs so far, one annoying, one game ending.

1. When blocking and opponents 4/4 creature with a 3/3 and 2/2 combined both of my creatures were sent to the graveyard even though there were no other effects in play and no other spells cast during combat.

2. During a Planechase match, I was required to select a card from a selection of four on the top of my deck and put it into play. Unfortunately nothing I tried would allow me to play the card. I could drag it to any point on the screen, but nothing. I could double tap the card, but no options were available. I was basically forced to resign the match.

hiryu

Definitely feel that magic addiction again. Really like the game but some of these decks are pretty stupid. The mill deck is my favorite but you have to get really lucky to beat some of the weenie decks. Also, Planechase is crap.

daevv

The goblin deck in the revenge campaign has me in fits!!! I either get 2-3 lands and a couple of 4 casting cost cards and never get the 4th land till it's too late or I get 5-6 land and never get the 4+ casting cost cards!! Time for a time out and play the Skyrim DLC.

What's the consensus on the best deck to use on him?

Definitely feel that magic addiction again. Really like the game but some of these decks are pretty stupid. The mill deck is my favorite but you have to get really lucky to beat some of the weenie decks. Also, Planechase is crap.

Seemed completely ill-suited to the platform. Probably a lot of fun with actual cards, more space and being able to actually see wtf is going on, but I agree, at least on the iPad, it's a horrible experience.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So wanting a bit more deck customization options I started looking to see what else was out there and discovered Wagic. Now I've done nothing but play Wagic in my free time and haven't touched DoTP in the 3 days since. Kind of wish I'd just played Wagic and not bought DoTP 13 at all.

Did Wagic add AI? Solitare is nice and all but it gets old fast.

Shai-Tan

Banned

yeah it's got AI, nowhere near as good as this game though. it limits the decks you can play against because it is constantly making stupid decisions. I do play it quite a bit anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
PS3. Just surprising to see in a non-F2P game is all.

On another note: does Rite of Replication not work against opponents? I didn't see it say that on the card, but when I played it against a Hydra it just disappeared.

Well considering that they're not being paid to put the adds in, I don't really have that much of a problem with it. It's more like a, "Hey, continue playing MTG with this!"

coopolon

I mean it has AI, but it's terrible. DoTP has much better AI. And DoTP has multiplayer which is obviously better than all the others. But I haven't made decks since I actually played MtG in the late 90s, so it's a lot of fun even if I never lose. You are right though, it will eventually get boring.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Seemed completely ill-suited to the platform. Probably a lot of fun with actual cards, more space and being able to actually see wtf is going on, but I agree, at least on the iPad, it's a horrible experience.

Planechase is great in a group when you can get rid of all the shitty/broken planes.

bunbun777

the excess damage still passes through to the player, or it should.

Not really no. Say the blocker has protection than yes, all additional would go to player. The beauty of fog wall is that no damage is initially dealt. So there is no overlow. From the card "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to and dealt by Fog Bank."

ultron87

Not really no. Say the blocker has protection than yes, all additional would go to player. The beauty of fog wall is that no damage is initially dealt. So there is no overlow. From the card "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to and dealt by Fog Bank."

Nah. The attacking creature with Trample only needs to assign what would be lethal damage to Fog Bank before assigning the rest to the player. When you check if something has been assigned lethal damage you don't take into account abilities that would reduce or prevent that damage. So if a 4/4 Trampler hits a Fog Bank the two damage assigned to be dealt to the Bank is prevented, but two damage goes through.

To quote the official rules from a creature with Trample:
702.18b The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any remaining damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that's being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that's actually dealt.

zewone

Trample definitely goes through the Fog Bank, as it should. Same things happens with a creature who blocks with protection from the color of the attacker (usually green), the damage will still transfer over.

caffo

Neo Member
WHAT THE HELL booted it up on my iPad and lost all of my progress?

This does indeed suck. Any suggestions? Anybody had this happen as well?

You probably not logged in on Game Center. Same happened to me, and after a while I got logged in and my profile appeared there.

ultron87

The Exalted Deck is so dreadful to play against. At least with the other decks you can actually block or try to race them or something.

(I am honestly just bitter because I just lost a best of three because I misclicked with my bounce spell when he was equipping the shroud/unblockable equipment.)

Arcteryx

Is there no way to get longer time to setup blockers? I just lost a game because I couldn't get all my blockers assigned...had to keep zooming in to make sure I was selecting the right card. :(

Piecake

Is there no way to get longer time to setup blockers? I just lost a game because I couldn't get all my blockers assigned...had to keep zooming in to make sure I was selecting the right card. :(

They really need to implement an auto-block feature. Its just ridiculous if there are a billion tokens out. You will lose since you will either run out of time or just get so confused that youll miss some attacking creatures

Maxim726X

So I used to play the card game... I tried one of these a few years back and while I loved the aesthetic, I was kinda annoyed with the limitations of deck building.

Is it similar in this game? I guess it's almost impossible to build your own decks, but I guess I would have enjoyed more freedom in that regard.

BigAT

I am the only one that really dislikes the Planechase part of the campaign? I just feels incredibly random and out of your control, plus the games take an extremely long time to finish.

Azrael

The goblin deck in the revenge campaign has me in fits!!! I either get 2-3 lands and a couple of 4 casting cost cards and never get the 4th land till it's too late or I get 5-6 land and never get the 4+ casting cost cards!! Time for a time out and play the Skyrim DLC.

What's the consensus on the best deck to use on him?

Chandra is excellent against goblins. Spells like Rain of Embers, Chandra's Fury, Cone of Flame, and Flamebreak will take out several goblins at once if not clear the entire board of them.

Azrael

I am the only one that really dislikes the Planechase part of the campaign? I just feels incredibly random and out of your control, plus the games take an extremely long time to finish.

No, it's terrible. Whoever is luckiest with their dice rolls wins. Archenemy was better.

CoG

Looks like I'm getting my groove back. Used the Crosswinds deck to create a nice control / air deck. I can usually get some 4/2 + creatures in the air by the third turn and shut down and land attacks and counter or dispel everything else. Kind of annoying that the decks are limited in what cards you can choose but it keeps people from making massively overpowered decks I guess.

The Jace mill deck dudes are annoying if you have a slow hand but it's gratifying to beat them down if their mill is too slow. Red goblin deck is a problem on slow hands. Ouch you bastards playing it :D

Danneee

How am I supposed to beat that damn helix pinnacle challenge?? I'm trying it with the red (Chandra?) deck but to no avail. Can't do enough damage with spells before the game is over, creatures seem to be out of question due to all blocking creatures (vines) the AI put out..

hiryu

Looks like I'm getting my groove back. Used the Crosswinds deck to create a nice control / air deck. I can usually get some 4/2 + creatures in the air by the third turn and shut down and land attacks and counter or dispel everything else. Kind of annoying that the decks are limited in what cards you can choose but it keeps people from making massively overpowered decks I guess.

The Jace mill deck dudes are annoying if you have a slow hand but it's gratifying to beat them down if their mill is too slow. Red goblin deck is a problem on slow hands. Ouch you bastards playing it :D

Yeah I switched over to mostly using the Crosswinds deck for control too. I'll use the red and black control decks when bored too. I've always been a control fan when it comes to magic.

Piecake

How am I supposed to beat that damn helix pinnacle challenge?? I'm trying it with the red (Chandra?) deck but to no avail. Can't do enough damage with spells before the game is over, creatures seem to be out of question due to all blocking creatures (vines) the AI put out..

I used Odric and didnt have a problem

I mean, you win if you get Odric in play, and if you dont, you still have a crap load of O rings and other ways to get rid of his blocking creatures. Plus a ton of fast weenie little creatures as well

Id imagine the gob deck would work well too since you could just overwhelm the other deck with the amount of creatures you have

Danneee

I used Odric and didnt have a problem

I mean, you win if you get Odric in play, and if you dont, you still have a crap load of O rings and other ways to get rid of his blocking creatures. Plus a ton of fast weenie little creatures as well

Id imagine the gob deck would work well too since you could just overwhelm the other deck with the amount of creatures you have

Don't know what O rings are but I rebuilt my deck with no creatures and lots of damage spells and that did it:)

Edit: tried with the Odric deck and won on the first try, wow.

Piecake

My odric deck just beat a dude using the gob deck like 6 times in a row (seemed well constructed too)

Feels goodman, especially since ive had problems with the gobs just zerging and overwhelming my odric deck before

Piecake

Is steam version worth it? Or should I stick with ps3 version?

does the ps3 version suck or something? Steam version seems fine and people are usually on in at least some form of multiplayer. I personally wouldnt buy another version of the game, but I am also a cheap bastard

Piecake

Post your fucking deck builds morons so I can copy them and occasionally win game out of blind luck.

Since you asked so nicely, my odric build

Creatures

2 Attended Knight
2 Captain of the Watch
2 Doomed Traveler
2 Elite Vanguard
2 Fiend Hunter
2 Geist-Honored Monk
1 Odric, Master Tactician
1 Intrepid Hero
1 Dawn Elemental
2 Archon of Justice