• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

CoG

People bailing when they are losing to be replaced by AI is lame. Do you get a win on the leaderboard for beating the AI?

Tizoc

What's the best setup for Chandra and Talren's decks? I think having mainly the mollusk, Fog Bed, the spell that puts 2 drakes with 2/2 fLYING and the 3/1 dragon with flying as your main summonable creatures to really drag how effective this deck could be.
fOR that matter...I have no idea how to best use Chandra's deck @_@

Can an awesome PS3 version owner friend request me and help me kick some two headed giant ass? Send me a PM with your details and ill message you right back.

I am tired of randoms.

red13th

What's the best setup for Chandra and Talren's decks? I think having mainly the mollusk, Fog Bed, the spell that puts 2 drakes with 2/2 fLYING and the 3/1 dragon with flying as your main summonable creatures to really drag how effective this deck could be.
fOR that matter...I have no idea how to best use Chandra's deck @_@

Chandra's deck seems to be a mess, not sure what they were trying to do.

I hate playing against Liliana that whore keeps killing my goddamn critters and late game when I get her low she always somehow manages to topdeck a FUCKING CORRUPT, it has seriously happened at least three times in a row. Either Corrupt or Tendrils. It drives me insane.
Been using Jace as my beatstick, has worked even better for unlocking new cards than challenges to me :lol

CoG

Argh. Every freeking game today either I lose or the coward drops and I need to finish off the AI. iPad. When you quit it should be an automatic loss. What crap.

red13th

I decided to give Yeva's deck a go and it's pretty fun.
Just finished a match against Chandra. She had a slow start and I had Acidic Slime + Erratic Portal. I ended up killing all her lands and she was left with a Dragon Whelpling but with no mana to buff it. :lol
Natural Order is busted BTW.

ultron87

Here is what I've been running with Talrand now that everything is unlocked:

Creatures:
3 Kraken Hatchling
1 Azure Mage
3 Fog Bank
1 Spiketail Hatchling
1 Archaeomancer
1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
1 Sphinx of Lost Truths

Spells:
3 Sleight of Hand
2 Disperse
2 Favorable Winds
2 Mana Leak
1 Twincast
1 Call to Mind
2 Cancel
2 Repulse
1 Rite of Replication
4 Talrand's Invocation
1 Future Sight
1 Gravitational Shift
1 Panoptic Mirror
1 Time Warp

Once you actually unlock everything for this deck you have a decent enough number of bounce spells and counterspells that you can sometimes actually prevent the enemy from getting their game plan off the ground. And then you can use all your defensive creatures to slow them down even more. Your primary way to win is Drake tokens pumped with Favorable Winds. Panoptic Mirror also allows for some shenaniganish ways to win if you manage to get Rite of Replication or Time Warp into it. It is incredibly difficult for your opponent to win if you are getting 5 copies of something at the start of every turn and/or infinite turns. And Gravitational Shift pretty much guarantees you a win against Odric or the goblin deck if you get it out.

I could see swapping the Skywinder Drakes in to be more aggressive but I find that they are too fragile at 1 toughness.

I haven't played with it a ton online yet in its fully unlocked form, but I've been playing some variation of it like this for quite awhile and have been doing pretty well.

Wanted to see how many tokens the game can handle. Apparently, it caps at 100. It can handle life totals and counters to 9,999, but tokens can't go over 100! I was down to 2 life testing this out on the overrun encounter lol.
Now I just got to unlock about 8 more decks and do two headed giant to get the last trophy.
SdJFEl.jpg

red13th

Yeva is too much fun, I can't play other decks anymore. :(
Tried going against Ajani but he gains too many life, meaning I can't outrace him, and I have no way to deal with Soul Wardens. Only way I managed to win was busting all his lands with Acidic Slime bounce cheese, while keeping two deathtouch critters ready to block his 33/33 Ajani's Pridemate (yeah). I think that took me over an hour.

matt360

iPad version won't stop crashing. I've been playing it just fine since release and now I can't load it at all. What the hell?!? Any other reports of problems?

CoG

Here is what I've been running with Talrand now that everything is unlocked.

Just imprinted Time Warp with the Panoptic Mirror. Next round my opponent mysteriously dropped :)

Chilled out with my rage against rage quitters. I realized the game does not handle concessions well and just replaced the opponent with AI. Don't know why the game does not end and you get a win automatically.

Piecake

Just imprinted Time Warp with the Panoptic Mirror. Next round my opponent mysteriously dropped :)

Chilled out with my rage against rage quitters. I realized the game does not handle concessions well and just replaced the opponent with AI. Don't know why the game does not end and you get a win automatically.

Thats why I only join games where the AI takeover is turned off

ultron87

Does anyone know how the multiplayer rankings work on iPad? There doesn't seem to be an option to turn off AI takeover, so do you need to play out a game against the AI to get credit for your win when an opponent quits or can you just quit?

I've still been having a lot of success with the Talrand list I posted above. The only time you're actually just straight up screwed is if the Goblin deck puts out a Goblin Piledriver. Because it would be a devastating card no matter what but with Protection from Blue you are just done. At that point you need to have a Rite of Replication to make a blocker or there is pretty much nothing you can do.

Nicol Bolas on the revenge campaign is fucking absurd. I cant remember the last game i screamed out loud to. He brings out the perfect card at any moment. I came one turn away from killing him half a dozen times with several decks, but he always whips out some magical card to fuck my shit up. Normally for hard AI decks like this, you try again until the stars align and they get a shitty draws and you win, but that never happens to him, because he is constantly filling his hand back up with his crazy awesome cards.

Also, he got to six mana on his second turn once. I was livid.

Has anyone beat him without using Jace? It feels almost like you are required to use him because of how quickly Bolas goes through cards.

CoG

I love seeing an opponent with the Jace avatar because you know chances are he's using that slow ass mill deck. Despite all the Mind Sculpts, Howling Mines, and Thought Scours I am usually still 40 cards up before I finish him off.

That deck has to be working against some players because a lot of people use it.

Piecake

I love seeing an opponent with the Jace avatar because you know chances are he's using that slow ass mill deck. Despite all the Mind Sculpts, Howling Mines, and Thought Scours I am usually still 40 cards up before I finish him off.

That deck has to be working against some players because a lot of people use it.

It seems alright for 2v2 and if you are using a really slow deck as well, but yea, Jace's deck sucks in most cases

red13th

Dunno if this has been posted already, but here are two of the promo unlock codes(2 cards per deck):
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List?pg=1

KWPMZW
WMKFGC

just enter them in the status screen

Seems like not many have them yet, as I've been getting a LOT of messages on PSN about them

I thought the codes were going to be good for a single use, I'm glad they aren't.
Thanks for that.
One of those codes unlocked Bribery on the drakes deck, so good.

EDIT: meh Spawnwrithe and Gigantomancer for Yeva.

Arcteryx

I thought the codes were going to be good for a single use, I'm glad they aren't.
Thanks for that.
One of those codes unlocked Bribery on the drakes deck, go good.

Yea the cards they unlock are kind of hit or miss. Some are "meh", others like the black deck....zomg nice!

red13th

Yea the cards they unlock are kind of hit or miss. Some are "meh", others like the black deck....zomg nice!

It unlocked fucking Vindicate on the exalted deck lol.

EDIT: haha gave the blue drake deck a shot and I turn 5 Bribed a Rune Scarred Demon off Liliana, I love that card.
Bribery, Rune Scarred Demon, fetch Rites of Replication and by turn 6 I had two 6/6 demons hehe.

ultron87

Couldn't give Talrand just one more Mana Leak instead of expensive nonsense? You gave Goblins another Goblin Guide.

Raytow

After all the unlocks, the 10 of them are released in that MtG thread, the Talrand deck is ridiculous, I expect all online matches to use that deck =/ any tips for an obedient death user?

ultron87

I don't think those unlocks for Talrand are going to make it much better. They are all so expensive that you can't afford to have many in the deck. The deck would have been much more improved with some more cheap counterspells or card draw spells. Some of the other decks got far more useful cards.

I think I am going to play 61 cards from now on. I would rather have 61 cards with 25 land than 60 with 25.

Bizarre bug (that wasn't as much a bug as it was a WTF) that I hit last night.

I had 3R and Ruby Medallion was in play. I cast Searing Spear and took out a creature on my opponent and I went to play Pyre Charger with the intent of activating it's ability. For some reason, it cost 2R to put him in, even though Ruby Medallion was in play. Every other creature I cast during that game came in for 1R less, but for some reason, Pyre Charger didn't.

Not sure if I can reproduce it or not, but I'm definitely going to try to.

Question about the game - in paper Magic, I could activate the +1/+0 on Pyre Charger just before swinging (after blockers are declared), right? Can I do that here? I've tried to figure out how to, but I'm unable to do it.

just want to point out this isn't a bug. Ruby Medallion reduces costs by (1), not by (R).

Pyre charger's mana cost is RR, not 2R.

2R means 2 colorless and a red.
RR means red red.

Wizards themselves say this is one of the most common mistakes for new players.

ultron87

With all the unlocks codes spoiled now the only things I've changed in my Talrand deck is swapping in a second Rite of Replication instead of my 4th Talrand's Evocation (which you didn't need the unlocks for) and putting in Followed Footsteps as a 61st card.

If I wasn't playing on iPad I'd put in Bribery instead of Followed Footsteps, but searching through a deck is so abysmal on iPad that I can almost never do it effectively in the time allotted in a multiplayer game. And you can't do something like selecting one card to pick if time runs out and then continue searching through the deck. Followed Footsteps is fine since you can just put it on an opponent's best creature and force them to either kill it or let you get value for it.

Best trick I learned is that you don't need to wait till two turns after you tap out to cast Panoptic Mirror to get any value from it. During the upkeep after you cast it you can pause while the Mirror's ability is triggering and use all your newly untapped mana to Imprint something from your hand on it and then cast it immediately (unless the opponent blows it up, obviously). If the thing you imprint happens to be Time Warp you instantly win unless they have Instant speed artifact removal (which most decks don't have).

zewone

With all the unlocks codes spoiled now the only things I've changed in my Talrand deck is swapping in a second Rite of Replication instead of my 4th Talrand's Evocation (which you didn't need the unlocks for) and putting in Followed Footsteps as a 61st card.

If I wasn't playing on iPad I'd put in Bribery instead of Followed Footsteps, but searching through a deck is so abysmal on iPad that I can almost never do it effectively in the time allotted in a multiplayer game. And you can't do something like selecting one card to pick if time runs out and then continue searching through the deck. Followed Footsteps is fine since you can just put it on an opponent's best creature and force them to either kill it or let you get value for it.

Best trick I learned is that you don't need to wait till two turns after you tap out to cast Panoptic Mirror to get any value from it. During the upkeep after you cast it you can pause while the Mirror's ability is triggering and use all your newly untapped mana to Imprint something from your hand on it and then cast it immediately (unless the opponent blows it up, obviously). If the thing you imprint happens to be Time Warp you instantly win unless they have Instant speed artifact removal (which most decks don't have).

If you put Followed Footsteps on a Archaeomancer, with a Time Warp in the graveyard, you can pull off the unlimited turns as well.

There's actually a few ways to pull it off, but that's a new one with FF unlocked now.

ultron87

So they've officially announced the 1st Expansion for sometime in "summer". So later this month probably?

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1028

- Five additional playable decks: Take on your opponents with two-color decks that correspond to the Azorius, Golgari, Izzet, Rakdos, and Selesnya guilds.
- More Campaign levels: The expansion adds on five single-player campaign levels and five single-player revenge campaign levels.
- Five additional challenges: Added puzzles for you to solve.
- Plus even more: Additional persona portraits, achievements and trophies to unlock, and more!

Aaw yeah five additional challenges. This will almost assuredly be five dollars. Note that there are no new cards for the already existing decks unlike the expansion in 2012.

Here are the new decks that were datamined from the game files awhile back. There is one for each guild that will be in the Return to Ravnica set of the paper game.
- Rakdos Black/Red
- Selesnya Green/White
- Golgari Green/Black
- Izzet Blue/Red
- Azorius Blue/White

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aaw yeah five additional challenges. This will almost assuredly be five dollars. Note that there are no new cards for the already existing decks unlike the expansion in 2012.

Thank god. One of the worst aspects of '09 and '12 is the fucking unlocking extra cards from the DLC packs in the BASE/other DLC decks. It's like "why the fuck would you make me do that AGAIN when I have three extra decks to play with/unlock!?"

TP17

Having never played Magic before but having a passing curiosity due to some friends of mine being really into the card based version at least, I picked this up the other day and have found myself strangely addicted.

Sure I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and still losing, but I have a case of "just one more match..."

Tizoc

Hope it's OK to ask this.
1- Is the Magic the Gathering 2013 save file for PS3 'locked' to an account?
2- If not, well let me explain first, I backed up my ps3 data so I can replace my old hdd with a new 500 GB, but sadly the restore was corrupted. Fortunately however I managed to recover 90% of my save game files, but Magic 2012 and 2013 are not among them. 2012 isn't an issue since unlocking the cards isn't that hard and I'd have some fun re-unlocking them. It's 2013 that I'm 50-50 about re-doing all over again @3@. As such if anyone can PM me a save file that has, at least all 300 cards unlocked, I'd appreciate it ^_^;

zoukka

Ok so i bought the full game for 8 euros and all the decks are still locked...

Ipad here, so I take. Still need to grind the AI to unlock the cards... Or pay more...

Grecco

So they've officially announced the 1st Expansion for sometime in "summer". So later this month probably?

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1028

Here are the new decks that were datamined from the game files awhile back. There is one for each guild that will be in the Return to Ravnica set of the paper game.
- Rakdos Black/Red
- Selesnya Green/White
- Golgari Green/Black
- Izzet Blue/Red
- Azorius Blue/White

I hope these new decks are good. The decks in the 2013 game are the worst out of all 3 games imo.

daevv

Only 2 Wednesdays left in August or "summer" if they are releasing the DLC. This week is Counter Strike for me. Hoping for the 29th now.

Who am I kidding? I'll get both if it's released this Weds. ;)

kirblar

I'm not sure if they'd reprint Bribery in paper (5 mana is usually reserved for on the field steals these days) but I'd love it if they did
Won't happen - it punishes players for playing big mana creatures, which is something they're trying to avoid doing. Same reason Mana Leak's an issue.

zoukka

Yep, my goblim deck hasn't lost a game online, but the UI designers need to get fired and made sure they never work on the industry again. So much fun tapping individual goblin tokens when there are 50+ of them. You can't do it in time to attack.....

Also I noticed we can't send messages via game center. Fuck you apple.

matt360

Ok so i bought the full game for 8 euros and all the decks are still locked...

Ipad here, so I take. Still need to grind the AI to unlock the cards... Or pay more...

Exactly. You've paid for the ability to unlock the cards "eventually." Each victory against the AI will get you 1 card. I thought it was weird at first too, since I didn't notice any changes after I paid the full price. You'll need to play quite a bit to unlock every card, but that's just part of the fun!

Top Bottom