• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

They added five new Steam achievements the other day so hopefully we'll get it soon. I'm not sure if they work though. I won a duel with exactly 1 life left yesterday and it didn't trigger the achievement.

Insurrection
Win a duel online using an expansion deck

Near-Death Experience
Win a duel with exactly 1 life

Guildmage
Defeat the Sepulchral Strength deck in the revenge campaign

Auramancer
Win a duel controlling at least five Auras

Fury of the Horde
Win a duel controlling at least twenty creatures

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They won't work until you buy the DLC, like XBL and PSN achievements do.

daevv

Sweet! I was getting worried.

xEsfO.jpg

bunbun777

140 MB update, wish I could buy the dlc now. Soon.
edit- just noticed this is in gaming community, hmmm

Oooo new loading screen, mythic Jace....

5 new decks, 5 campaign, 5 revenge and 5 challenges sounds good to me. TBH, that should be the baseline for these expansions. 10 challenges would be perfect.

lol I didn't follow the thread before and just found out about the promo unlocks. Pretty nice surprise.

daevv

It's out now on 360! I got past the first 2 in the campaign no sweat with the mill deck but got my ass handed to me on the 3rd. lol

ultron87

Played a bit of the expansion. The Challenges are disappointingly easy so far. Though one involves Precursor Golem so it is automatically the best thing.

I pray that the UW Aura Servants deck doesn't end up being popular. Because that will be dreadful.

bunbun777

So just wanted to share:

Unlocking cards and decided to play planechase 4p game with G/B. First 3 players lay down a land then we planechase, morphic tide, my swamp turns into a zombie vulture, end up in Nephelia. (I went 2nd) So by my turn I have a 27/27 flyer that kills someone who said "just kill me", then it gets go for the throated. End up winning about 15 mins later. Fun times.

^^^ lol, that mode is so absurd and broken.
Played a bit of the expansion. The Challenges are disappointingly easy so far. Though one involves Precursor Golem so it is automatically the best thing.

I pray that the UW Aura Servants deck doesn't end up being popular. Because that will be dreadful.
I've played it online a couple of times and felt like an asshole. That last time I pulled a creature control on the dude's last creature. I got a " xxx has been replaced by an AI player", I swear some guy somewhere in the world was throwing his iPad.

ultron87

Man, where has Pernicious Deed been all my Magic life. Definitely caps off the amazing removal suite in the Golgari deck.

Tizoc

So there's a new DLC for the game released this week, accesible via the game only though.
Anyone checked to see what it is? (At work atm so can't check ^_^; )

ultron87

Yes indeed new DLC. http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1098

Looks like we're getting Boros (red/white) and Simic (blue/green) decks. I'm not home to try them out, but they both look like what one would expect from those guilds.

People over on the Wizard's forums are flipping shit about there being no promo cards in these decks. I would agree with them that that is stupid since all the other decks get 10 extra cards that are generally awesome.

Tizoc

Yes indeed new DLC. http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1098

Looks like we're getting Boros (red/white) and Simic (blue/green) decks. I'm not home to try them out, but they both look like what one would expect from those guilds.

People over on the Wizard's forums are flipping shit about there being no promo cards in these decks. I would agree with them that that is stupid since all the other decks get 10 extra cards that are generally awesome.

Oh cool! ...but are these decks 'interesting', as in do they follow a specific theme/strategy that is uniqe from the other decks?

Shoogoo

I'm looking for a partner for 2HG games on PC. Anyone interested? It's really the mode I get the most kick out of.

I'm experienced, but only got the game since a few days, so I only unlocked like 2 decks.

edit : steam id is the same as my name here.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this again, but how is the new DLC? Price is very tempting and I'd def. get it but I want to know if the Decks offer a lot of variety for playing them.

ultron87

I've played a bit with both decks, but not enough online to say if they are actually good for online or not.

The Red White deck is pretty aggro-ey and plays a lot like the white soldier deck that was in the base game. It just has less token making and burn spells instead of exiling effects. Didn't really find it that different to play from already existing decks.

The Blue/Green deck is a lot of fun as it has a top end with some very cool creatures and effects that can lead to some pretty entertaining board states. Having an active Tidespout Tyrant and a bunch of mana or getting to use a Protean Hulk's death trigger is a pretty fun time. It does seem like it is probably a bit too slow. I feel like the super-aggro decks (ie Goblins) would just run it over. Though once again, haven't tested it online as I haven't unlocked everything yet.

All in all I've probably gotten an acceptable amount of enjoyment out of them to make it worth the few bucks.

Wiseblade

But Konami stopped making their annual handheld YGO games last year and recently I've been getting the itch to play something. How would this game be suited to some with the most basic understanding of Magic's gameplay? I know I can't build decks from scratch, but are they any customisation options? What's the deck diversity like? Are there any multiplayer options? And finally, what would be the best Version to get out of Steam and XBL?

ultron87

To answer your questions in order:

- It is pretty much perfect for someone who is just getting started with Magic.

- Each deck has 60 cards at first. Then you can unlock 30 more per deck by winning matches against the CPU or in multiplayer. There are also ten promo cards you can unlock per deck with these codes. You can then swap the new cards in to customize your own version of the deck. It just has to also be at least 60 cards (including lands, which are automatically added in). You can make decks that are pretty diverse from the same starting point in some cases. An example is the blue deck I like to play where it can either be a very defensive deck that draws the games and stays alive out until it casts big impressive spells that win the game or a mid range aggressive deck that overwhelms the opponent with buffed up fliers.

- The deck diversity is pretty good and have a lot of different play styles. Most of the major archetypes in Magic are represented except for combo decks (since they don't really want new players to face losing on a turn 3 after their opponent has a ten minute long turn).

- You can play multiplayer online with up to 4 people (except for on iPad where it only does 1v1). You can play FFA, 2v2, or a variant of FFA where there are random world based effects.

- I've only played the iPad version so I can't help you there. I don't think I've heard anything terrible about either the PC or the Xbox versions so they are both probably fine.

shaowebb

Did they de-list all the 2012 edition decks that were added? I don't see them avaialble on Steam anymore and I really loved 2012 with its 1 vs 3 mode. I got 2013 and its fine, but I miss that mode and was hoping to steam sale nab decks. Anyone know what happened there?

ultron87

Did they de-list all the 2012 edition decks that were added? I don't see them avaialble on Steam anymore and I really loved 2012 with its 1 vs 3 mode. I got 2013 and its fine, but I miss that mode and was hoping to steam sale nab decks. Anyone know what happened there?

I think this Gold Edition thing has 2012 plus all the decks and is 5 bucks right now: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15148/ Looks like you can also get the deck packs separately. Not compatible with 2013, of course.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I just picked this up in the Steam sale and I'm stuck on this encounter. I looked on GameFAQS and tried all the decks suggested there but no luck. Any tips?
I beat it with the basic blue deck by getting him to deck out. Not too tought actually just add only decking cards and draw until you get a really good starting hand (ie enough mana and strong discards).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Finally grabbed 13 and I could have done with the campaign redesign and all that other shit.. I don't go to these things for the lore. Otherwise the decks seem a bit meh as well. Finally burned out I guess after 11 and 12.

I played the original Duels of the Planeswalkers on XBLA, skipped the expansions and the sequels, and returned with Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 on iOS. I'm having a pretty good time returning to it. Because of my time away, it still feels fresh, and the touch controls feel pretty natural.

ultron87

So they put out the decklists for the (presumably) final Deck Pack. It has the expected Dimir Blue/Black deck and then a five-color monstrosity. Lists are here: http://www.toptiertactics.com/17203...-dlc-deck-pack-3-rogues-gallery-mana-mastery/

Since there are no dual lands it will be interesting to see how the five color one plays with its only mana fixing being Cultivates, Rampants Growths and 6 Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanses. If it actually gets the mana it needs you'll certainly get to cast some obnoxious spells unrealistically topping out with a Progenitus.

MoxManiac

Anyone still play the steam version? Getting this for a Magic fix but it appears there are cheaters out there, random opponents don't sound appealing.

Tizoc

Right so the only DLC I bought was the $5 one that was came with 5 decks, I did not purchase any of the later decks released afterwards. As such, which of these bundles should I get?
Gold Deck Bundle ($9.99) In the Magic 2013 Gold Game Bundle, the Base Game, its Expansion, and its three Deck Packs are now available in one package. Unleash an arsenal of deadly creatures and devastating spells as you battle across the Multiverse. Unlock cards, decks, and more. You can even take your game online! Face a greater challenge!

Gold Game Bundle ($19.99) In the Magic 2013 Gold Game Bundle, the Base Game, its Expansion, and its three Deck Packs are now available in one package. Unleash an arsenal of deadly creatures and devastating spells as you battle across the Multiverse. Unlock cards, decks, and more. You can even take your game online! Face a greater challenge!

Tizoc

OK that description for the Gold Deck Bundle seems incorrect, on the store it reads-
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ndle/cid=UP2037-NPUB30627_00-G13GOLDDECK00002
Maximize your Magic 2013 Gold Bundle experience! Unlock all 21 decks at once!

Face a greater challenge!

Additional content for Magic 2013. Expansion decks and Deck Packs not included. You must have Magic 2013, Magic 2013 Expansion, and Magic 2013 Deck Packs 1, 2, and 3 to unlock all 21 decks.
Am I missing something here? Then again the extra Decks 1-3 all total at $10, but that's 6 Decks for $10, when the first expansion was 5 Decks for $5.

Guess I'll hold off for a few more months or just wait for Magic 2014 later this summer~

Top Bottom