• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

wanders

:x I'm so tempted to buy this. I'm a light Magic fan, started last year, but damn all TCGs.

Edit: Being ten dollars is not helping me resist. Any reason why I shouldn't buy this?

Any possibility that this could be on the Steam Sale? Doesn't release until June 20th. One week before the last week of June.

Since I didn't get DotP 12, it ain't unlocking another deck if I pre-order.

zulux21

Any possibility that this could be on the Steam Sale? Doesn't release until June 20th. One week before the last week of June.

Since I didn't get DotP 12, it ain't unlocking another deck if I pre-order.
Any possibility, well.... technically until something is proven absolutely impossible to do there is still a possibility, but well, you likely have better odds winning the lotto 5 days in a row lol.
2012 came out about the same time last year and what happened was the original magic game went on sale it did not. I expect 2012 to go on sale this year and not 2013. I believe the first sale for 2012 happened late august early sept, right before the expansion for it came out.

kuYuri

Have bought the last two on 360, will probably go PC this time
when/if the Gold Edition comes out

Hero

Vampire Nocturnus will definitely hold the most value since it's alternate art and of a popular theme/tribe. Serra Avatar is probably the next best bet. Hydra is womp womp.

Also if you live in a popular area I would suggest contacting your local comic book shop about their promos and try to get there within the first few days. The titans from last year's DotP promo went really quick.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's pretty bad, but it's not as bad as this:

222_pre_en_2010nujv3.jpg

You can always trade for/buy the M13 reprint.

He looks like he's squeezing out a deuce in a church.

ultron87

The base version of the Liliana deck is listed in Zac Hill's Daily MTG column today: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/199

Mono black with a bunch of things that get better when you have more swamps. Maybe with the Rise from the Grave in there and some as yet unrevealed unlocks you'll be able to turn it into a Reanimator deck. Sadly the new Liliana previewed in that article isn't in the deck, since DOTP still ironically doesn't support Planeswalker cards.

jiggles

Banned
Bought this in a bundle with 2012 last week. Can't wait.

I'll double dip with the iPad version if the performance and interface are up to it.

FillerB

And bought. Been thinking for a while to get back into Magic. I stopped playing during the Ravnica block (2005ish?) so this seems like a good way to get back into the game.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I got the first one, but skipped out on last year's installment. I found the first game fairly fun, despite the limited deck-building options. It sounds like this game ups the ante a fair amount, and might prove the perfect way to teach my girlfriend how to play Magic, so I think I might as well dive in.

ultron87

I can't see how this won't become an annual top 10 seller for the Ipad. The touch interface is perfect for this type of game.

I hope it does super well and that this convinces Wizards to go all out and do Magic Online on iPad. They just need to hire an external developer to do it, because their internal software teams don't seem particularly efficient.

An-Det

I cant wait for it, I've got it preordered on Steam. DOTP 2009 was a great surprise for me, and 2012 was a nice update. This should be fun as well, especially now with the End Step added in. Just needs an advanced option for selecting lands now.

I hope it does super well and that this convinces Wizards to go all out and do Magic Online on iPad. They just need to hire an external developer to do it, because their internal software teams don't seem particularly efficient.

Seriously, we've been waiting for the new version of Modo for how long now?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I cant wait for it, I've got it preordered on Steam. DOTP 2009 was a great surprise for me, and 2012 was a nice update. This should be fun as well, especially now with the End Step added in. Just needs an advanced option for selecting lands now.

It does...kinda. According to them it presents you with several options if there's color ambiguity (i.e "Do you want to pay UUU for Cancel or BUU for Cancel?")

heringer

So wait, I don't buy cards in this game? I only have to unlock them in game?

Then nobody has the edge of having kickass cards?

An-Det

It does...kinda. According to them it presents you with several options if there's color ambiguity (i.e "Do you want to pay UUU for Cancel or BUU for Cancel?")

Interesting, didn't know that. Hopefully it's decent. The first two weren't too bad with it except for the occasional instance where it screwed you over.

Minsc

Gold Member
So wait, I don't buy cards in this game? I only have to unlock them in game?

Then nobody has the edge of having kickass cards?

That's one way to look at it. On the other hand, it removes one of the best parts of the game, coming up with your own deck from thousands of different cards.

Xater

Hmm maybe I'll get it this year. They are already doing an iPad version, would be nice to also see a Mac version. Then I could play it on the go on my laptop ;) Well I guess 360 version for me then.

Momentary

Banned
Definitely getting it on PC for Serra Avatar. That was my first rare I got from Urza's Saga. Glad to see it got bumped up in rarity.

ultron87

I wish we had impressions, or at least something, regarding the iPad version.

The only thing we have so far is this article from Wizard's themselves about some of the UI considerations they made: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/200 But of course they are definitely going to say it works great.

It also appears that this comes out for PSN tomorrow and not Wednesday (which makes sense). I haven't seen any confirmation for the iPad date.

I've only played MTG a few times before but I've been meaning to get one of these games since trying a demo of it awhile ago. Looks awesome

Crocodile

I've been pretty big into MtG the past few years but I've pretty much entirely ignored the digital side of it. So this thing has online multiplayer right? Like you can play duels and 4-way planechase with people online?

Tizoc

The only thing we have so far is this article from Wizard's themselves about some of the UI considerations they made: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/200 But of course they are definitely going to say it works great.

It also appears that this comes out for PSN tomorrow and not Wednesday (which makes sense). I haven't seen any confirmation for the iPad date.

Well yeah US PSN updates on Tuesday, whenever Grace Chen feels like it, and EU is getting it on Wednesday.
Magic 2013 is listed in the Drop of the week...without much detail or fanfare, just them mentioning it's getting released =_=

Dynamic3

Reading that makes me think the iPad version won't be Retina optimized.

ultron87

So, around how many cards can you unlock? Can you only do slight derivations from the decks?

There are 30 unlocks per deck. Since that is 5/6 of a full deck's worth of spells one would have to hope that that would allow for at least a few different styles of deck to be built. Of course some of these unlocks will get taken up by strictly better cards that are auto includes, and multiplayer focused cards. Hopefully they won't waste spots this time around with crap like the lucky charms (Angel's Feather, Dragon's Claw etc).

I wish they would just release all the decklists. It isn't like we won't be know everything tomorrow anyway.

Dynamic3

Here is a hands on article based on the iPad version of the game. Sounds like if you have the new iPad, this is the version of the game to get.

I just hope that the iPad 2 version works well enough...

http://toucharcade.com/2012/06/08/e3-hands-on-with-magic-the-gathering-duels-of-the-planeswalkers-2013-for-ipad/

The Wizard's article contradicts the claim that card text is viewable even when not zoomed (and it's a newer article). Then again, the Wizard's article contradicts itself.

The only thing left out for Padders seems to be four player multi.

Tizoc

There are 30 unlocks per deck. Since that is 5/6 of a full deck's worth of spells one would have to hope that that would allow for at least a few different styles of deck to be built. Of course some of these unlocks will get taken up by strictly better cards that are auto includes, and multiplayer focused cards. Hopefully they won't waste spots this time around with crap like the lucky charms (Angel's Feather, Dragon's Claw etc).

I wish they would just release all the decklists. It isn't like we won't be know everything tomorrow anyway.

There are only 6 decks in the initial release?

ultron87

There are only 6 decks in the initial release?

Huh? No. There are ten as far as I know.

I meant that 30 cards is almost enough spells for an entirely new deck. So one would assume some pretty large variations would be possible with that many cards.

zulux21

well personally I hope that is not the case. The only way that statement would be true is if the deck manager like 2012 shows you what cards you will unlock. I am hoping it's more like the original where you have no clue what you are unlocking until you unlock it :p

of course at the very least we will have a full white and green deck list on weds, as a number of people will have full deck unlocks for those.

but I am with you. Ideally each deck is made up of about 50/50 of two themes, and with the30 extra cards they are also 50/50 of those themes and you can in fact make two unique decks from a full unlocked deck. if not for the original 30 unlocks, but hopefully when the expansion hits around sept and the card unlocks are bumped to 40 we can do it then.
I liked archenemy, made it worth it, at least.

I liked archenemy, solo, while I was playing as it... beyond that I wasn't a big fan since the 1 wins most of the time unless the 3 are playing certain combos of decks.

bunbun777

Super super excited for this, biggest release of the year so far for me. I made a few good friends from playing 12 and just started playing irl at the local hobby hut as well. Think I have been roped in, absolutely love 4 player matches.

Top Bottom