• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

Amory

Does anyone remember the original Duels of the Planeswalkers...where you had a character walking around a map, random battles, dungeons with rare cards as loot, build whatever deck you want...man I want a sequel to that game.

DRZ

Does anyone remember the original Duels of the Planeswalkers...where you had a character walking around a map, random battles, dungeons with rare cards as loot, build whatever deck you want...man I want a sequel to that game.

Yes I remember that game, I think it is often referred as Shandalar. Around the internet you can find tweaked versions with more cards.

Tizoc

Huh? No. There are ten as far as I know.

I meant that 30 cards is almost enough spells for an entirely new deck. So one would assume some pretty large variations would be possible with that many cards.

Oh my bad, that's cool, I think Magic 2012 had that many decks in it without DLC?

red13th

To be quite honest I think everyone does, Shandalar was incredible.

Not having manual tapping was rarely a problem in the previous entries. In many cases you could play around the issue by playing your spells in a specific order. It did however become a problem when your opponent was holding on to a counterspell.

DRZ

Not having manual tapping was rarely a problem in the previous entries. In many cases you could play around the issue by playing your spells in a specific order. It did however become a problem when your opponent was holding on to a counterspell.

Yep, much better if they allowed us to decide the number of lands in each deck. Assuming that to have the chance to make decks as we want with the card included is something completely out ot the scope of this series of games.

zulux21

Yep, much better if they allowed us to decide the number of lands in each deck. Assuming that to have the chance to make decks as we want with the card included is something completely out ot the scope of this series of games.

well they have to hold back some fan requested feature for 2014 :p

really it doesn't bother me to much. Personally I would rather they just focused on trying to make it bug free

smr00

Banned
Still no create your own deck?

goddamnit wizards.. can you just release a game already that allows us to build our own decks? and draft? it can't be that hard to allow us to build decks and you don't even have to give us every set, just give us the current block every year and have 2 online search options, one for competitive custom decks and one for pre-built.

But.. i guess they would rather have people paying real money for digital packs on MTGO :-/

agidot

Can't wait to play this. [brag]I was playing it like 10 hrs a day for 2-3 days til I was ranked
1st in the ladder [/brag]

5v1r5.jpg

I loved rolling 40 card decks with 5 copies of Contract From Below. Could never get away with that shit in real life.

Can't wait for the iPad version, even though Duels isn't really my preferred Magic delivery system. I've wanted to play digital Magic on a touchscreen for so long, I almost bought a touch monitor years ago to play MTGO with.

Can't wait to play this. [brag]I was playing it like 10 hrs a day for 2-3 days til I was ranked

Highest I ever got was about #300 on the XBLA leaderboards for 2012.

Then I got bored with playing Vampires 24/7 and starting playing other decks.

Then I got bored with DotP and opened an MTGO account. :p

FillerB

Does anyone know whether the different platforms/versions can play against each other? Because if so, we could maybe organize a small scale GAF-tournament. Seems like a good opportunity for both new and long-absent players (hint: myself) to learn the game while having some fun with fellow GAF-fers.

ultron87

Does anyone know whether the different platforms/versions can play against each other? Because if so, we could maybe organize a small scale GAF-tournament. Seems like a good opportunity for both new and long-absent players (hint: myself) to learn the game while having some fun with fellow GAF-fers.

If there was cross-platform play they would've surely announced it. I don't think there is really any way to link any of these platforms together on a real time basis. We could still run a tournament, but we'd just have to figure out which version is most popular. And it would really only be worth it if a good number of the decks are well balanced, which will hopefully be the case.

I'm also hoping there are some more robust multiplayer features like setting up a Best of 3 match with sideboarding, but I'm not holding my breath.

Calidor

I remember, and it was fucking awesome! Like Magic meets Diablo and Pokemon

red13th

I remember, and it was fucking awesome! Like Magic meets Diablo and Pokemon

That describes Shandalar pretty well actually, it's Magic gameplay with Pokemon-like trainer duels and Diablo-ish loot in the form of cards. I remember how much I hated the bosses that had Black Lotuses and all that shit.

It was pretty great, but it was incredibly buggy and the vast array of possible strategies was too much for the computer. It overlooked a lot of cards and used others in ways that hurt it. Some of the patches really broke the AI.

That said, I would love another game like it. It was what I want in a Magic PC game, by combining real Magic play, an RPG, and the ability to use a vast number of cards that I could never afford in real life in original and interesting ways. I just wish I had played it more while I could still get it to run on a computer. I barely even used the expansion.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I will buy this, but I don't think I'll have time to play since my friends are all playing Diablo 3. We're in Inferno at Siegebreaker... bad timing, WOTC!

Tizoc

US Blog states that the game will be 10 dollars on US PSN, so hopefully the EU price will be equal to it >_<
Wonder if there's a bonus for those that bought Magic 2012?

Dunlop

Anyone have a PS3 and 360 with the other MTG games?

I have 2011/12 on my PS3 but I find the interface to create a multiplayer match so beyond shitty that I might take the plunge on the 360 instead.

..assuming it is better?

Takuan

Still no create your own deck?

goddamnit wizards.. can you just release a game already that allows us to build our own decks? and draft? it can't be that hard to allow us to build decks and you don't even have to give us every set, just give us the current block every year and have 2 online search options, one for competitive custom decks and one for pre-built.

But.. i guess they would rather have people paying real money for digital packs on MTGO :-/
Yeah, it's quite clear at this point that the DOTP games are a gateway into buying physical/digital boosters.

If they release a new MTGO client that uses the DOTP "engine", I may switch entirely to digital just for the convenience.

I'm going to ask again, because I'm a filthy beggar: does anyone not need or care for the promo card? Would any of you like to hook a dude up?

I'm surprised at the cost of the special edition, considering you're only getting a soundtrack, wallpapers, a pdf and foil conversions? Over twice the price for that?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
"This content cannot be accessed with your account"

Trying to grab this off the PS Store now that its supposedly up and getting this error. Damn you Grace, damn you.

ultron87

Well the Yeva deck isn't up yet, but judging from her ability one would assume she is mono-green as well.

Edit: Yep, that one is all green.

What a wasted opportunity. They could easily made decks for Odric and Talrand that were multicolor. I mean Talrand at least would obviously synergize well with a bunch of red instants/sorceries.

Guess we wait for DLC to actually take advantage of the land tapping.

Sober

Guess they need some more time to iron out the mana tapping bugs so they just gave us mono-coloured decks until DLC.

Glix

Hi. My name is Rich and I want an IOS version of the MTGO client more than anything.

Please Wizards.

Please.

Take my money.

More on topic - These games are great and cool, but don't really interest me, I want to play REAL magic.

OnPoint

Yes, I used to love that game. I built so many awful decks using powerful cards I had no idea how to use just because they were accessible. Fun times.

ultron87

I am going to have to use this game to make a deck where Primal Surge will dump my entire deck onto the table and then just repeatedly play games against people till it works.

If the games infrastructure is as bad as the last two games, count me out. Running into glitches constantly isn't fun, even if the games were.

remist

I watched sp00ky stream mtgo and I'm kinda interested. Thinking of picking this up. Is it worth it for someone who's never played the actual card game before?

Is the single player content good?

ultron87

I watched sp00ky stream mtgo and I'm kinda interested. Thinking of picking this up. Is it worth it for someone who's never played the actual card game before?

Is the single player content good?

Yeah, it is a really good way to be introduced to the game. The single player has a bunch of duels against different decks and you unlock new cards as you go. The AI is generally pretty solid (or at least it was in 2012) and generally makes decisions that are pretty reasonable. It also has Challenge puzzles that test your ability to figure out situations.

It also lets you play with some powerful cards and well tuned decks that a newcomer to the paper game likely wouldn't get to experience right off the bat.

drkOne

Wow, is this an annual franchise now?

I bought 2012 and never did touch it. lol

MtG changes in pretty much a weekly basis. Of course that's because of meta-gaming, which isn't as strong with the lack of full customization in DotP.

Still, with yearly core sets since they first released DotP (Magic 10, Magic 11, Magic 12, Magic 13), I think it's only right that they release DotP yearly.

You might have yet to finish 2012&#8230; I finished it a couple of days after release.

There's a market for this. I don't want to have to deal with physical cards (everyone who has taken MtG at least semi-seriously knows how hard it is to handle the huge piles of cards you'll end up with), I don't want to deal with the MtG Online community where everyone just uses net decklists and you need to have a $300-400 deck to be competitive.

I think there's even a market for DLC content every time they release a new expansion for the physical MtG.
Not sure if that would work out too well for Wizard though, would probably cut some profit from MtGO just to get 5-10 bucks per consumer per expansion.

Hi. My name is Rich and I want an IOS version of the MTGO client more than anything.

Please Wizards.

Please.

Take my money.

More on topic - These games are great and cool, but don't really interest me, I want to play REAL magic.
If I could play MTGO on my iPad, with updated inferface/graphics&#8230; Who am I kidding, that isn't ever going to happen.

Top Bottom